Tom Delonge says Green Day isn't his kind of music

jnine13

Didn't Blink tour with Green Day and get blown away by them?

I think in this case 'blown away' means that Green Day were better than blink-182 when they toured with them, as in 'they blew them away every night' (thats a paraphrase from a Kerrang article I read years ago).

I think its quite possible that Tom has never heard the AI album, he may have heard the singles on the radio but never bought the full album.

Seeing as AI is a very different sounding album to the rest of GDs work, he may well like them for their past albums, but maybe heard the singles and though 'nah, i'll give that a miss'.

And there's been many comments about Tom having his head up his own ass, well, after years spent playing the fool in blink-182 and always downplaying the quality of the music they made, I think its time that he was allowed to have some confidence in his work, and shout about it! Alright, its confidence to the point of arrogance, but I think he should be allowed to get away with it for the new AVA album. It is a fucking good album!

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone who hasn't heard American Idiot must have lived on another planet for 2 years - especially a so-called 'punk rocker' who practically kissed Green Day's arse for his whole career. What a twat.

He's only saying that he hasn't heard the record because he's still blatantly trying to copy them - isn't he turning the Angels and Airwaves album into a movie now??? hmmm... wonder where he got *that* idea from....

Tom DeLonge: There were only a few punk rock bands before my time that I was really into. The first song I ever tried to play was by [L.A. hardcore group] the Descendents. Everything about my guitar playing is from them.

didn't he say: "oooooh my gawd lyk the first s0ng i eva plaYed 0n a Geetar was bAskEt Case. Gawd...I luv them"

I don't ever remember him talking about The Descendents. I'm surprised he even knows who the Descendents are!!

Buzzcocks -- "Ever Fallen in Love?" Love Bites (1978)

David Kennedy: Alkaline Trio! [Laughs] This is old f*cking punk rock. I've heard this before. It's like the Buzzcocks ...

.......... how can you think that the Buzzcocks are Alkaline Trio..... :blink: looks like Tom isn't the only one who's not very smart in AVA... :/

Hmm. Well, on the one hand, I always thought Blink sucked, although I know a lot of people really liked them - they were like some pale imitation of Green Day, without any of the substance GD has had from day one to this day. How pissed-off GD must have been on that Pop Disaster tour, opening for their wannabe-band - still, opened for them and blew them off the stage everytime, from what I've heard - GD have always been in the business of turning disadvantage into advantage.

However, time tells who the true artists are, and that's why Green Day are still here, and making music that's scorchingly relevant while younger bands are scampering to catch them up.

As for Tom DeLonge - well, I read a little interview with the guy maybe a year ago, and as far as I could see, he'd been through some big life-changing shit, he had a kid, he's living clean, and he was in some kind of shock about it! He's going thru major changes, and he's trying to find an identity for himself and his music.

I'm not surprised he's trying to distance himself from Green Day, because the comparison doesn't flatter him!

It's a pity that he doesn't have the confidence yet to own and cherish that influence, but frankly, to cast off Green Day and then say your new album is Pink Floyd mixed with U2 isn't great either - he should be finding out what he wants to say and saying it, find out what he loves and do it, and fuck what anyone else is doing.

He did say he told his manager he was losing his mind - he's trying to discover himself as an artist, but he's being too rigid. And guys, in that state of mind, maybe he just didn't want to listen to American Idiot - just as well, because it's so magnificent, it would have made him despair.

The stuff about John Lennon - he's by no means the first to have said this, it's been said for a long time.

Artists are loose cannons as far as governments are concerned - in repressive regimes, the writers are the first ones they fling in prison, along with anyone else who's communicating ideas.

Oh well. If he said back than Blink were unfluenced by Green Day, than he's probably talking for Blink 182. Now that he's in angels and airwaves and all... ugh... maybe his music taste changed. :ermm:

Tom's such a jackass. He thinks AVA is like...the second coming. Bah. Whatever.

"Van Gogh cut off his ear because he couldn't express what he was trying to express."

I find that hilarious. So, cutting off your ear and giving it to your cousin is an expression of love now, apparently.

Tom is dickwad anyway

he needs to bow down on both knees to Green Day and kiss their feet

Tom is dickwad anyway

he needs to bow down on both knees to Green Day and kiss their feet

I hated, and I will always hate blink 182, so I don't care about what they say

hear hear!!

well said both of you. :lol:

I swear, one day his ego's going to explode and that's going to be the end of him. Good riddance, if I might add.

Tom's such a jackass. He thinks AVA is like...the second coming. Bah. Whatever.

^ haha, how true.

i have to admit, i really love tom's voice; it's unique. and i like some of blink's stuff - not all of it, but they've had some really good songs. but to say that green day wasn't an influence, or that it's not his "type of music"? yeah.. that's just a big load of shit. especially after he went on fuse's "influenc'd: green day" o.O

hey tom! get real.

i think the thing that bothers me the most about it is that he was in a band for several years that was obviously similar to green day - and now he's going back and saying that's not his type of music. so what's he saying? he doesn't like the music he made for so many years? i just think you need to stay true to your roots.. yeah, his taste could have changed, but you don't need to deny where you came from, musically or otherwise.

umm...okay? :huh:

and who cares if he's heard it or not. he probably doesnt want to listen to it because he's gonna realize they're better :rolleyes: :wink:

i like your thinking

screw him, tom is, and always will be, an asshole :down:

Blink 182 used to be one of my favourite bands.

I agree that their songs were nowhere near as polished and catchy as some of Green Day's songs, but

some of them still got me dancing, and had meanings behind them.

When Blink 182 split up, I got really pissed off with Tom, seeing as he put Angels and Airwaves before his friends.

Now, when every fucking magazine article you read is Tom Delonge telling people how fucking amazing his new band is, how theyre gonna blow everyone away and how everyone is gonna love them and their gonna be the biggest band in the world...its a pile of wank to be honest.

What kind of weirdo goes around saying things like that before the band had even released their first single?

Yeah okay create some hype for the band, but dont give yourself a label you cant live up to.

I think that after the Blink 182 split, and because Tom is the only member who's really stayed up in people's minds, he thinks that he can say what he wants when he wants and that everything he said when he was in Blink will be forgotten about.

Well I just have to say one thing.

Tom Delonge.

You would be working as a bus boy in KFC if it wasnt for Green Day.

Just because you think your new band is so fucking excellent, it doesnt mean you can go around saying things about bands that you KNOW you like, and you KNOW influenced you.

Angels and Airwaves ruined Tom Delonge.

Mark and Travis are lucky.

They got out while they fucking could.

xx

tom d's an idiot. everyone knows that.

well, ok, im being stupid because i hate his voice and blink182 and A&A, but... i dont care.

Now, when every fucking magazine article you read is Tom Delonge telling people how fucking amazing his new band is, how theyre gonna blow everyone away and how everyone is gonna love them and their gonna be the biggest band in the world...its a pile of wank to be honest.

What kind of weirdo goes around saying things like that before the band had even released their first single?

Yeah okay create some hype for the band, but dont give yourself a label you cant live up to.

yeah, it'd be nice if he could tone down the ego a bit, too.. and stop being so fake. i hate fake people >.<

Didn`t Blink say that they liked Green Day? Whatever. But everyone have heard some American Idiot song, eather way if you like it or not.

I've always considered Tom DeLonge to be an untalented moron. Nice to see I've been proven correct.

He is right on one point...Green Day isn't his kind of music. Green Day is GOOD music, unlike the crap he makes. Too bad he and his former group spent so much time trying to BE Green Day. He's such a pathetic joke. :lol:

You know whats wrong with this?

Anyone insults Green Day EVER and you pull and bunch of crap about them out of your ass that isnt even true.

i don't see why it matters anyway, but people's opinion of music and musical tastes can change, so it's possible he did like green day, and now is into other things. i used to listen to linkin park all the time, but now they're not my kind of music. same as sum 41 and limp bizkit.

I think Tom hasnt notice that AVA isnt as good as he think they are.

He said they were gonna "change music"

Change music my ass.

I've always considered Tom DeLonge to be an untalented moron. Nice to see I've been proven correct.

He is right on one point...Green Day isn't his kind of music. Green Day is GOOD music, unlike the crap he makes. Too bad he and his former group spent so much time trying to BE Green Day. He's such a pathetic joke. :lol:

how many times do i have to say it before it'll sink through your guys thick skulls... BLINK 182 AND GREEN DAY BOTH MAKE THE SAME KIND OF MUSIC!!!

get over it.

Archived