Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Voting has started in the Karaoke Contest. Listen to the entries and vote for your favorite.

Photo

Doctor Who

* * * * * 14 votes TV Show

• Please log in to reply
5506 replies to this topic

The Disappearing Boy

The Disappearing Boy
  • Dissappearingness Nickness

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,305 posts
  • Joined Jan 02, 2007
  • 3,827 rep

So when Smith does it, it's crap, but when it's Eccleston it's okay.  I know the Nine quote was in character, but you referred to it out of character.  That's just me being nitpicky :P

I haven't seen the Smith scene for ages, but the difference for me is that with Ecclestone's scene, it felt like the Doctor saying it, not Ecclestone. With Smith, it just felt like it was him saying it, not the Doctor. Or basically, what Rosie said :lol:

The exception to that is The Silence. They are truly brilliant.

Hmmm What annoyed me about them was their 'secret' was discovered in like their first episode? Or second? As Jimmy said, it would have been better I think if their mystery was stretched out over a series or two. Another great baddie idea from Moffat, though.

His era is far from perfect, no era is. I just feel that it's stronger than Tennant's. There are too many moments in Ten's era that I find questionable and I actually feel like under Moffat the show has more depth and less flash, which is very welcome. I guess my point is that 11/Moffat just feels more like Doctor Who than RTD's era did. More imaginative and adventurous. 

I can't speak towards the Americanization of the show, because I'm an American myself. I'm just saying what I think as someone who's watched every season of the show's long history, and Matt Smith/Moffat's era just feels more like Doctor Who to me. Especially his first and last series.

I'll totally agree that series 6 is super imperfect, but I think it's ambition should at least be applauded.

I basically disagree with everything you said. :P As Tom said, there have been some good episodes, and moments in the first three Moffat series, but I just feel that RTD's era was much deeper and had better idea management. The Doctor felt more like what the Doctor should be and RTD's characterisation was miles better than Moffat's (though that was much better this series). I appreciate that Moffat had a difficult job when he took over. I prefer RTD's way of doing things, but at the same time I understand that Moffat had to try and do something different cos he would have been criticised otherwise.

As for Smith, whatever you say about him and his Doctor, the show's popularity skyrocketed during his tenure; he (and Moffat) have to take some credit for that.
  • Clockwise and SaintJimmy13 like this

GreenRanger

GreenRanger
  • Probably Someone Else

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,089 posts
  • Joined Jun 23, 2010
  • 1,586 rep

Are you sure you haven't somehow managed to mix Tennant and Smith up? Because that's just about the only explanation I've got right now.

Chances are no, he didn't mix them up.  That's the thing about preference, you can't quite explain it.  The way actors express emotions differently, the way they react to scripts and to writing differently, the way they influence the character they're playing...their differences is why Doctor Who has regeneration in the first place.  It's kind of like how we all see colors differently.  My red isn't the same as yours and so on and so forth.  The way I see and express anger is different from the way others see it.  To that end, Smith might look more genuinely angry to someone than Tennant does.  His expression of sadness might be more like theirs and that connection is why they might prefer him over someone else.  There's not really any objective explanation, at least not that can fit in a paragraph.

And honestly I think you'd be hard pressed to find a real Doctor Who fan who got on board with Smith and expressed NO interest in going back and watching Eccleston, Tennant, or even Classic Who.  Doctor Who is a unique show in that no matter where you are in the series there are going to be little tips and nods to the past, so it's smart and kinda gets people to look back and see what they like best.  I don't think any parts in the show claim internally to be better than other parts.  It worked on me.  I started with Smith and quickly poured over Eccleston and Tennant and I enjoy them all for their own reasons, so I dunno, coming in with Smith or whoever just seems really fair to me.

Rosie May

Rosie May
  • Positively Pessimistic

• 4,726 posts
  • Joined Mar 30, 2007
  • 1,712 rep

I really like that Moffat had ambitious ideas and interesting twists and stuff planned, I just wish they're execution had been as good as their set up. That's always been his downfall. But hopefully, if things keep going as they are, the simpler, more character based stories can be combined with intricate plots and make something wonderful. I have more faith in Moffat because of the last series than I used to. It does seem that Capaldi has had a good influence on the way the show ends up. 

Clockwise

Clockwise
  • Running on fruit snacks!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,018 posts
  • Joined Apr 09, 2009
  • 751 rep

Chances are no, he didn't mix them up.  That's the thing about preference, you can't quite explain it.  The way actors express emotions differently, the way they react to scripts and to writing differently, the way they influence the character they're playing...their differences is why Doctor Who has regeneration in the first place.  It's kind of like how we all see colors differently.  My red isn't the same as yours and so on and so forth.  The way I see and express anger is different from the way others see it.  To that end, Smith might look more genuinely angry to someone than Tennant does.  His expression of sadness might be more like theirs and that connection is why they might prefer him over someone else.  There's not really any objective explanation, at least not that can fit in a paragraph.

Exactamundo, well said!

I really like that Moffat had ambitious ideas and interesting twists and stuff planned, I just wish they're execution had been as good as their set up. That's always been his downfall. But hopefully, if things keep going as they are, the simpler, more character based stories can be combined with intricate plots and make something wonderful. I have more faith in Moffat because of the last series than I used to. It does seem that Capaldi has had a good influence on the way the show ends up. 

Definitely. Series 6, the whole Silence arc was extremely ambitious and I loved that! It just was not executed very well, which is a shame because it could have been great. 

I think series 5 was very strong, and series 7 was good with it's standalone episode "blockbuster each week" style. But like I said, I feel like series 8 was Moffat's best and he's learning from his mistakes.

• Rosie May and Lady Nightlife like this

Rosie May

Rosie May
  • Positively Pessimistic

• 4,726 posts
  • Joined Mar 30, 2007
  • 1,712 rep

Definitely. Series 6, the whole Silence arc was extremely ambitious and I loved that! It just was not executed very well, which is a shame because it could have been great. 

I think series 5 was very strong, and series 7 was good with it's standalone episode "blockbuster each week" style. But like I said, I feel like series 8 was Moffat's best and he's learning from his mistakes.

I really enjoyed watching series 6, it's only when I think about it that I find loads of problems with it. 

Series 5 was pretty good, I enjoyed the episodes with Rory in them more because I prefer the dynamic between him Amy and 11 as a trio rather than just Amy and 11 on their own. I thought series 7 really suffered without the two-parters, and the switching of companions halfway through gives at a weird feel to it. I like a lot of individual episodes, but as a whole it doesn't work all that great. It's funny because it's the opposite to series 6 which is stronger when watched altogether. 

Series 8 has been the best so far to me. To me the Doctor and companion dynamic is the most important thing, so even if there's some dodgy episodes it doesn't matter, because you still have characters that you enjoy watching no matter what they're doing. 

(For example I actually enjoy Unicorn and the Wasp because of Ten and Donna's banter in it. If that had been Ten and Martha instead it would've been awful, because their dynamic wasn't all that interesting, and the ridiculousness of the story line would be all you could see.)

• Clockwise likes this

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife
  • Fuckity Bye

• 12,863 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 12,772 rep

One thing I did like about Matt Smith's run was the epic sense you got from each episode, and even the season-long story arcs. I can't for the life of me tell you how the TARDIS was restored after the Pandorica explosion or all the why's and wherefores of River Song and Trenzalore, but they left an epic impression and evoked emotional responses and that in and of itself is interesting to me. Maybe I got this feeling because I binged his entire run, I didn't have to wait a week between each episode (or months between seasons). And I did enjoy how Matt worked with the material he was given. His Doctor's emotional language mirrors my own and so I did relate strongly to him, even though on an intellectual level I know that he was pretty over-dramatic at times.

But that's part of the appeal of Doctor Who, in the end. We see something of ourselves in the Doctor, and it draws us to the character and to the show, no matter how many times the faces or the writers change. 

• Clockwise and GreenRanger like this

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,063 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,900 rep

Hmmm What annoyed me about them was their 'secret' was discovered in like their first episode? Or second? As Jimmy said, it would have been better I think if their mystery was stretched out over a series or two. Another great baddie idea from Moffat, though.

Allow me to re-phrase: the idea and aesthetic of The Silence is awesome, the execution - a la Moffat - was dire. 

As for Smith, whatever you say about him and his Doctor, the show's popularity skyrocketed during his tenure; he (and Moffat) have to take some credit for that.

As do the BBC top brass, who signed much more lucrative sales deals to make sure it took off in America. #cynic #runneruptoTheGrouch

• The Disappearing Boy, Lady Nightlife and SaintJimmy13 like this

The Disappearing Boy

The Disappearing Boy

• 16,305 posts
  • Joined Jan 02, 2007
  • 3,827 rep

Allow me to re-phrase: the idea and aesthetic of The Silence is awesome, the execution - a la Moffat - was dire. 

As do the BBC top brass, who signed much more lucrative sales deals to make sure it took off in America. #cynic #runneruptoTheGrouch

But it only took off in America cos America took to Smith and Moffat for one reason or another #devil'sadvocate #thereshouldhavebeenaDevil'sAdvocateaward

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• 7,063 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,900 rep
I blame Tumblr.

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife
  • Fuckity Bye

• 12,863 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 12,772 rep

I blame Tumblr.

Tumblr is the root of all evil tbh

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• 7,063 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,900 rep

Tumblr is the root of all evil tbh

Or at the very least idiocy. 

GreenRanger

GreenRanger
  • Probably Someone Else

• 4,089 posts
  • Joined Jun 23, 2010
  • 1,586 rep

Turn Left is on right now and all this talk is making me wonder what'd happen if they never did whatever they did with Series 5 to make it popular here.  Probably I'd be off talking about some other silly show, and definitely not having this conversation.

Spoiler

Rosie May

Rosie May
  • Positively Pessimistic

• 4,726 posts
  • Joined Mar 30, 2007
  • 1,712 rep

^ What did you not like about it? 

GreenRanger

GreenRanger
  • Probably Someone Else

• 4,089 posts
  • Joined Jun 23, 2010
  • 1,586 rep

It gets really depressing really quickly.  Like it just kind of starts piling on the calamities one by one thanks to the Doctor not being there.  It's just a really heavy watch.  Like yeah, it's kinda interesting seeing all those events replayed and how they all connect to each other, and Donna's real proof of character development is good, but frick, watching her and her mom and Wilf stuck in a six family row house isn't fun for me.

I know I'll catch flack for this, but this is where I think Moffat got his idea about making the Doctor this huge hero because for me this whole episode was like "look how terrible it'd be without the Doctor!"  And that was the whole episode up until Donna resolves to get sent back to her own universe.  And it's just weird because out of all the companions we KNOW Donna's better for having met the Doctor more than anyone else.  I don't think we needed an episode explaining it.  It was just kind of weird to take the "What If" route at that point and time to me.  And it was all caused by...a giant stag beetle.  I dunno, it just didn't feel good to me personally.

Rosie May

Rosie May
  • Positively Pessimistic

• 4,726 posts
  • Joined Mar 30, 2007
  • 1,712 rep

I love Turn Left. I like that it gets dark. It's a nice exploration of the consequences of all these disasters if there was no superhero type figure to save them. It's also really great to see an episode solely based around companions with Rose playing the Doctor's role in a sense. Alternative universes are always an interesting idea, so I'm glad we got to see it. It's as "realistic" as something like Doctor Who can get, because it shows humans learning how to cope with everything that's thrown at them. It's one of the best episodes I think.  

I like that RTD was willing to go quite dark in Doctor Who in this way, and he extended that into Torchwood which heads even more in that direction. 

RTD's dark episodes and Moffat's ones are so different, but I like both of their approaches. 

Advertising

Clockwise

Clockwise
  • Running on fruit snacks!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,018 posts
  • Joined Apr 09, 2009
  • 751 rep

I love Turn Left. I like that it gets dark. It's a nice exploration of the consequences of all these disasters if there was no superhero type figure to save them. It's also really great to see an episode solely based around companions with Rose playing the Doctor's role in a sense. Alternative universes are always an interesting idea, so I'm glad we got to see it. It's as "realistic" as something like Doctor Who can get, because it shows humans learning how to cope with everything that's thrown at them. It's one of the best episodes I think.  

I like that RTD was willing to go quite dark in Doctor Who in this way, and he extended that into Torchwood which heads even more in that direction. 

RTD's dark episodes and Moffat's ones are so different, but I like both of their approaches. 

Pretty much totally agree with this. 

I actually think that Turn Left/Stolen Earth/Journey'd End is one of the reasons that series 4 is my second favorite season of New Who.

• Rosie May likes this

The Disappearing Boy

The Disappearing Boy

• 16,305 posts
  • Joined Jan 02, 2007
  • 3,827 rep
Just gonna leave this here:

• Maddy. and Lady Nightlife like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TV Show

0 user(s) are reading this topic