Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Doctor Who

* * * * * 14 votes TV Show

• Please log in to reply
5214 replies to this topic

The Disappearing Boy

The Disappearing Boy
  • Dissappearingness Nickness

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,087 posts
  • Joined Jan 02, 2007
  • 3,586 rep
Watched Flatline again. It's still brilliant. I loved the old guy (the actor was really good). I loved how he was evil. I loved how he had no redemption, no 'I realise what an arsehole I've been, sorry about that' moment. The fact is that some people in life are like that, he was no different.

Also, some of Capaldi's delivery is just so good - this episode in particular.

Also, I really hope Clara dies. Not coz I dislike her (she's turning into a pretty good companion now), but coz I'd love to see how this Doctor deals with her loss and the grief and emotions tied to that. It could be such an important moment for this Doctor.
  • SaintJimmy13 likes this

lizziebix

lizziebix
  • I used to make great reservations!

• 22,826 posts
  • Joined Sep 15, 2009
  • 6,418 rep
But isn't Clara supposed to have a child with Danny because we already met her grandson?

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,400 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 710 rep

Watched Flatline again. It's still brilliant. I loved the old guy (the actor was really good). I loved how he was evil. I loved how he had no redemption, no 'I realise what an arsehole I've been, sorry about that' moment. The fact is that some people in life are like that, he was no different.

Also, some of Capaldi's delivery is just so good - this episode in particular.

Also, I really hope Clara dies. Not coz I dislike her (she's turning into a pretty good companion now), but coz I'd love to see how this Doctor deals with her loss and the grief and emotions tied to that. It could be such an important moment for this Doctor.

I agree that it is refreshing to actually not have a redemption at the end - everything being fine in the end wears thin, so having someone start a prick and end a prick is a good change. And yeah, the Doctor's monologue at the end is great.

But isn't Clara supposed to have a child with Danny because we already met her grandson?

We know Danny has a child, but do we know for certain it's with Clara?

The Disappearing Boy

The Disappearing Boy

• 16,087 posts
  • Joined Jan 02, 2007
  • 3,586 rep

Basically, what Jimmy said. Maybe Danny sees Clara die heroically and he brings up their children/grandchildren and inspires them to be astronauts? Maybe Clara dies, and Danny tells the Doc she is pregnant and the Doc somehow manages to save the baby not Clara. Basically, I'd really love to see how this Doctor deals with the death of someone close to him.

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife
  • Fuckity Bye

• 12,333 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 12,135 rep

Basically, what Jimmy said. Maybe Danny sees Clara die heroically and he brings up their children/grandchildren and inspires them to be astronauts? Maybe Clara dies, and Danny tells the Doc she is pregnant and the Doc somehow manages to save the baby not Clara. Basically, I'd really love to see how this Doctor deals with the death of someone close to him.

i had quite enough of the Doctor dealing with death when this shit happened:
tumblr_nbxc03BnB31thppj8o1_500.gif

still crying.

The Disappearing Boy

The Disappearing Boy

• 16,087 posts
  • Joined Jan 02, 2007
  • 3,586 rep

[img=https://33.media.tumblr.com/9c2b670ee84be54a06903af4

still crying.

Yeah, but this'll be better because Capaldi and just 12 in general :P

I guess The Angels Take Manhattan wasn't a bad episode, but having it in the middle of the series like that was pretty terrible. Firstly, A and R are the first New Who companions to not get a two-parter, end of series send off, but it kinda made Clara's half a series feel like an after thought. Also, the Doctor didn't even grieve, did he? He just happily went along and got another companion straight away, didn't he?

lizziebix

lizziebix
  • I used to make great reservations!

• 22,826 posts
  • Joined Sep 15, 2009
  • 6,418 rep
Interesting thoughts on Danny and Clara. Hmmmmm...

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,465 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 19,784 rep

https://33.media.tumblr.com/9c2b670ee84b...

still crying.

Oh yeah, it was really terrible how the Doctor could never see them because of that convenient plot device that he's gotten around countless times.

SO MUCH EMOTION

• The Disappearing Boy, Rosie May and SaintJimmy13 like this

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife
  • Fuckity Bye

• 12,333 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 12,135 rep

Oh yeah, it was really terrible how the Doctor could never see them because of that convenient plot device that he's gotten around countless times.

SO MUCH EMOTION

I fucking hate you so much.

THE TIME STUFF. WIBBLY WOBBLY. I don't know. It was really sad.

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,465 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 19,784 rep

I fucking hate you so much.

THE TIME STUFF. WIBBLY WOBBLY. I don't know. It was really sad.

The fact that Moffat came up with possibly the laziest way of "killing" them off really took away from any emotion in that scene. Like, the very first time we see the Angels it's literally resolved by the Tardis going and finding victims of the Angels. Even if all that shite about the Angels causing fractures in time in that location or whatever, why doesn't he just go back in time, same time, different location, and then just fly the Tardis like a spaceship. He literally could have seen them 10 seconds later. But nah. Plot holes. Because emotion. Or some shite.

Fuck me I hate Moffat.

• The Disappearing Boy, Lady Nightlife and SaintJimmy13 like this

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife
  • Fuckity Bye

• 12,333 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 12,135 rep

Fuck me I hate Moffat.

Basically all of this.

Rosie May

Rosie May
  • Positively Pessimistic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,402 posts
  • Joined Mar 30, 2007
  • 1,411 rep

The fact that Moffat came up with possibly the laziest way of "killing" them off really took away from any emotion in that scene. Like, the very first time we see the Angels it's literally resolved by the Tardis going and finding victims of the Angels. Even if all that shite about the Angels causing fractures in time in that location or whatever, why doesn't he just go back in time, same time, different location, and then just fly the Tardis like a spaceship. He literally could have seen them 10 seconds later. But nah. Plot holes. Because emotion. Or some shite.

Fuck me I hate Moffat.

Ugh, I think that every time I watch that episode. Why can't River just use her vortex manipulator? Why can't they just leave the city of New York and the Doctor pick them up somewhere else? 

I like how that episode is done, it's a nice bit of melodrama, but if you think about it at all the whole thing just falls apart. I feel like Moffat just wanted to use his own creatures to off his companions, but the Weeping Angels really aren't that threatening to someone who has the ability to Time Travel. 

With Donna and Rose's exits, it really felt like there was no way back from it, so it was more effective. (especially Donna, because even when we see her again, RTD didn't magically give her memories back.)

On a side note, I'd really love to see 12 run into Donna. I'd love to see Peter Capaldi and Catherine Tate bounce off each other. I know we'll never see it though, Moffat really severed all ties with the RTD era pretty much. :rolleyes: 

• The Disappearing Boy and SaintJimmy13 like this

The Disappearing Boy

The Disappearing Boy

• 16,087 posts
  • Joined Jan 02, 2007
  • 3,586 rep
Moffat's career on Doctor Who really has been a rollercoaster ride hasn't it? Series 1-4, he was considered to be one of the best single-episode writers on the team. Then he becomes show runner and makes a monumental cock-up of it for three series, before, somehow, pulling out a monumentally good series that we're having now!

Ugh, I think that every time I watch that episode. Why can't River just use her vortex manipulator? Why can't they just leave the city of New York and the Doctor pick them up somewhere else? 

I like how that episode is done, it's a nice bit of melodrama, but if you think about it at all the whole thing just falls apart. I feel like Moffat just wanted to use his own creatures to off his companions, but the Weeping Angels really aren't that threatening to someone who has the ability to Time Travel. 

With Donna and Rose's exits, it really felt like there was no way back from it, so it was more effective. (especially Donna, because even when we see her again, RTD didn't magically give her memories back.)

On a side note, I'd really love to see 12 run into Donna. I'd love to see Peter Capaldi and Catherine Tate bounce off each other. I know we'll never see it though, Moffat really severed all ties with the RTD era pretty much. :rolleyes:

This is basically making me realise just why Angels Take Manhatten is just crap. Amy and Rory could literally wait a couple of years, walk to somewhere just outside New York and have the Doc pick them up. Although that would mean Amy and Rory returning, so maybe not. As you said, it's a nice episode until you think about it - a bit like Kill the Moon.

GreenRanger

GreenRanger
  • Probably Someone Else

• 4,050 posts
  • Joined Jun 23, 2010
  • 1,558 rep

Yeah, I mean, they could have just said that Amy and Rory's timeline was locked or fudged or whatever rather than New York.  Or put something about how the Doctor seeing their graves in New York meaning he just never had contact with them after this adventure.  I don't know, I feel like there are a lot of ways it could have gone thematically such that the Doctor chooses not to go find them rather than there be some weird explanation as to why he can't.

A song for the lovers

A song for the lovers
  • shut up, Merlin

• 22,332 posts
  • Joined Jul 11, 2007
  • 5,038 rep

I wanted to hate Matt but he manage to made my sad tears to happy tears, 10 still my fav doctor but I have to say that right now Matt doing a great job, I only watched 5 episodes but from what I heard, he will approved himself. 

still 10 my fav, and always will be. 

• bat-chen likes this

Advertising

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife
  • Fuckity Bye

• 12,333 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 12,135 rep

Yeah, I mean, they could have just said that Amy and Rory's timeline was locked or fudged or whatever rather than New York.  Or put something about how the Doctor seeing their graves in New York meaning he just never had contact with them after this adventure.  I don't know, I feel like there are a lot of ways it could have gone thematically such that the Doctor chooses not to go find them rather than there be some weird explanation as to why he can't.

Something I haven't enjoyed about New Who as a whole is the way doors have been "closed forever" to the Doctor. I mean, he's a man who can travel through all of space and time and save worlds and he can't figure out a way to let Donna remember him without blowing up her head? Really? Same with Amy & Rory, as everyone loves to point out.

Rosie May

Rosie May
  • Positively Pessimistic

• 4,402 posts
  • Joined Mar 30, 2007
  • 1,411 rep

^I don't mind stuff like that in some ways, because it shows even the Doctor can't make things "all better" again. But when it's done badly it's just not convincing. 

The Disappearing Boy

The Disappearing Boy

• 16,087 posts
  • Joined Jan 02, 2007
  • 3,586 rep
Amy and Rory fans look away:

How crap were these two? Amy was particularly badly handled. After the Doctor left her when she was young, adult Amy should have been bitter and untrusting and miserable, and certainly not someone who would so easily fall in love with such a sap or someone who would so easily be taken in by the Doctor when he came back (remember how she wanted to bone him on her wedding night? Yeah.) I'm not sure if it was the writing or acting, but she just failed as a character. I also hated the way she came back in Time of the Doctor. She'd had her goodbye - talk about forcing Clara out.

Rory was alright, I guess. He was good for comic relief and Arthur Weasly was his dad, so that was good, but there was nothing to him. All he was was hopelessly in love with a woman who didn't really love him, he deserved better than her.
  • Céadóg likes this

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,465 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 19,784 rep

Rory should have been the companion, not Amy. As good as Karen Gillian was, the writing for her character was so shit she could only do so much.

• The Disappearing Boy, Rosie May and Lady Nightlife like this

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife
  • Fuckity Bye

• 12,333 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 12,135 rep

aw man I'm right there with you Nick, especially on the point about Rory. He loved Amy so much and she always was choosing the Doctor over him, right up until the end. Rory was an amazing person, and the Doctor was like this pretty, flighty asshole who Amy kept chasing. It always made me so, so mad that Amy never chose Rory in a really meaningful way until their very last episode.

• The Disappearing Boy likes this

The Disappearing Boy

The Disappearing Boy

• 16,087 posts
  • Joined Jan 02, 2007
  • 3,586 rep
Like River Song, Amy was a good idea handled terribly.

aw man I'm right there with you Nick, especially on the point about Rory. He loved Amy so much and she always was choosing the Doctor over him, right up until the end. Rory was an amazing person, and the Doctor was like this pretty, flighty asshole who Amy kept chasing. It always made me so, so mad that Amy never chose Rory in a really meaningful way until their very last episode.

I swear you used to be an 11/Amy/Rory fangirl? :P

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife
  • Fuckity Bye

• 12,333 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 12,135 rep

Like River Song, Amy was a good idea handled terribly.
I swear you used to be an 11/Amy/Rory fangirl? :P

I still am. I cry my eyes out over them and I love re-watching their episodes and sobbing, but I'm not so blinded by my love that I can't see ways they could have been better!!

• The Disappearing Boy likes this

Clockwise

Clockwise
  • Running on fruit snacks!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts
  • Joined Apr 09, 2009
  • 731 rep

Yeah, but this'll be better because Capaldi and just 12 in general :P

I guess The Angels Take Manhattan wasn't a bad episode, but having it in the middle of the series like that was pretty terrible. Firstly, A and R are the first New Who companions to not get a two-parter, end of series send off, but it kinda made Clara's half a series feel like an after thought. Also, the Doctor didn't even grieve, did he? He just happily went along and got another companion straight away, didn't he?

The Doctor grieving over Amy and Rory was a huge plot point in The Snowmen. 

A song for the lovers

A song for the lovers
  • shut up, Merlin

• 22,332 posts
  • Joined Jul 11, 2007
  • 5,038 rep

okay I have to say it.... I love the 11th doctor!!!

I still thing 10 is the best cause he's more dark... I really don't know how to explain but there is something in 10 that I love about him. p.s: he quoted from lion king ghostbusters which is 100 points for him.  

I thought I will hate Matt because he too childish but this is what I love about him, and when he make an eye contact. when he is angry I'm afraid he's gonna eat someone :lol:

• bat-chen likes this

bat-chen

bat-chen
  • Best Thing In Town

• 16,890 posts
  • Joined Mar 02, 2006
  • 4,061 rep

okay I have to say it.... I love the 11th doctor!!!

I still thing 10 is the best cause he's more dark... I really don't know how to explain but there is something in 10 that I love about him. p.s: he quoted from lion king ghostbusters which is 100 points for him.  

I thought I will hate Matt because he too childish but this is what I love about him, and when he make an eye contact. when he is angry I'm afraid he's gonna eat someone :lol:

Yeah!! you love Matt  :dance:  :runaround:

Believe me... the 11 doctor have a dark side too. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TV Show

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users