Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
The results of the Bobo Awards are now available here! Didn't get to vote? Go support our boys by voting for them here. I know we can beat Paramore this time.

Photo

Doctor Who

* * * * * 14 votes TV Show

• Please log in to reply
5183 replies to this topic

BillieJoe727

BillieJoe727
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  • Joined Jul 29, 2009
  • 214 rep

I'm watching now The Stolen Earth and words can't describe how my body is shaking right now!! Torchwood!!!!  :runaround:  :runaround:  :runaround:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

One of my favorite 2 part episodes! Journey's End is amazing! :wub: :wub:

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,928 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,709 rep

Visually, they were one of the best looking and genuinely scary creatures for a long time. 

• SaintJimmy13 likes this

The Disappearing Boy

The Disappearing Boy
  • Dissappearingness Nickness

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,036 posts
  • Joined Jan 02, 2007
  • 3,533 rep
Spoiler

Next week's looks a bit crap though.

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 638 rep

Next week's looks a bit crap though.

That's true. Seriously, why all the children?

I've just realised how pessimistic I must sound in this thread after each new episode.

• The Disappearing Boy likes this

Rosie May

Rosie May
  • Positively Pessimistic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,351 posts
  • Joined Mar 30, 2007
  • 1,371 rep

That was great :woot:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

The Disappearing Boy

The Disappearing Boy

• 16,036 posts
  • Joined Jan 02, 2007
  • 3,533 rep
Spoiler

• Rosie May, Comrade and SaintJimmy13 like this

Rosie May

Rosie May
  • Positively Pessimistic

• 4,351 posts
  • Joined Mar 30, 2007
  • 1,371 rep

Spoiler

Spoiler

• The Disappearing Boy and SaintJimmy13 like this

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 638 rep

Spoiler

Spoiler

Rosie May

Rosie May
  • Positively Pessimistic

• 4,351 posts
  • Joined Mar 30, 2007
  • 1,371 rep

I love that this has been made: https://twitter.com/...566235989323776

:lol: Couldn't help thinking that through a lot of the episode. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

I don't mind if somethings are a little bit off, there's a pretty large amount of suspension of disbelief already in Doctor Who, (it's about a time travelling two thousand year old alien whose had 13 different bodies and countless human companions) so it really doesn't bother if a moon creature can hatch a moon egg straight after it's been born. It works for the story so I don't think it's relevant. It's only when the story doesn't follow it's own canon that I find it harder to go with. (For instance, Angels Take Manhattan, as much as I love that episode, I do find it hard to believe that there's no way the Doctor could ever see Amy and Rory again when there's plenty of loop holes left wide open.)

Sorry, this isn't meant to be a personal rant towards you; it just irks me a little when people say things like "well this can't happen, or this shouldn't." It just sounds very inside-the-box-thinking to me. :ninja:

• The Disappearing Boy, GreenRanger and SaintJimmy13 like this

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,263 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 638 rep

I love that this has been made: https://twitter.com/...566235989323776

:lol: Couldn't help thinking that through a lot of the episode. 

Spoiler

I don't mind if somethings are a little bit off, there's a pretty large amount of suspension of disbelief already in Doctor Who, (it's about a time travelling two thousand year old alien whose had 13 different bodies and countless human companions) so it really doesn't bother if a moon creature can hatch a moon egg straight after it's been born. It works for the story so I don't think it's relevant. It's only when the story doesn't follow it's own canon that I find it harder to go with. (For instance, Angels Take Manhattan, as much as I love that episode, I do find it hard to believe that there's no way the Doctor could ever see Amy and Rory again when there's plenty of loop holes left wide open.)

Sorry, this isn't meant to be a personal rant towards you; it just irks me a little when people say things like "well this can't happen, or this shouldn't." It just sounds very inside-the-box-thinking to me. :ninja:

You're right, and I really should ease up on it, but it's just that I don't remember there being all these inaccuracies in the past. I meant, it obviously wasn't completely scientifically accurate, but they were never critical to the episode (that's why the moon egg annoyed me so much - stretching it wouldn't increase its gravitational field strength, and in fact would make it weaker).

Rosie May

Rosie May
  • Positively Pessimistic

• 4,351 posts
  • Joined Mar 30, 2007
  • 1,371 rep

You're right, and I really should ease up on it, but it's just that I don't remember there being all these inaccuracies in the past. I meant, it obviously wasn't completely scientifically accurate, but they were never critical to the episode (that's why the moon egg annoyed me so much - stretching it wouldn't increase its gravitational field strength, and in fact would make it weaker)

You're certainly nothing wrong to be critical, I just find that the story is more important that the accuracy of a lot of things to me, especially when it happens in science fiction. I'm more interested in the fiction than the science. :P 

The Disappearing Boy

The Disappearing Boy

• 16,036 posts
  • Joined Jan 02, 2007
  • 3,533 rep
For me, good science isn't an integral part of good science fiction (see: Flatline), but bad science is almost always detrimental to sci fi (see: Kill the Moon). My opinion, of course.

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,928 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,709 rep

You're right, and I really should ease up on it, but it's just that I don't remember there being all these inaccuracies in the past. 

That's because Moffat wasn't in charge in the past. 

Clockwise

Clockwise
  • Running on fruit snacks!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts
  • Joined Apr 09, 2009
  • 729 rep

What about the TARDIS towing the fucking Earth back into place in Journey's End?! There are so so so many ridiculous things that happen in Doctor Who I just find it weird to harp on them happening now. It's always been that way.

I don't think any of us actually know how the TARDIS works. Just because something different happened once in an episode before doesn't mean it's always going to work that way.

Also, I'd like to say that I think this might be my favorite season of New Who, maybe even of Doctor Who in general. With only three episodes left, it's looking likely. I think Moffat has done a fantastic job of fixing mistakes he made in previous seasons, and putting together a season that might go down as his finest work as a showrunner. I'm extremely excited for what's next. 

• Rosie May likes this

lizziebix

lizziebix
  • I used to make great reservations!

• 22,757 posts
  • Joined Sep 15, 2009
  • 6,387 rep
We haven't watched tonight's show yet but I mentioned to hubby that I'd heard it was a good ep (thanks everyone for your spoilers - I read them anyway!) and all he asked was if we'd understand him better in this ep. We are really struggling with his accent. Like a lot. :(

Advertising

GreenRanger

GreenRanger
  • Probably Someone Else

• 4,048 posts
  • Joined Jun 23, 2010
  • 1,557 rep
Spoiler

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife
  • We're Coming Home Again

• 12,166 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 11,999 rep

We haven't watched tonight's show yet but I mentioned to hubby that I'd heard it was a good ep (thanks everyone for your spoilers - I read them anyway!) and all he asked was if we'd understand him better in this ep. We are really struggling with his accent. Like a lot. :(

I had to watch Deep Breath a couple of times to catch everything - and I was used to Peter Capaldi's accent!! Is there a way to get subtitles, maybe?

lizziebix

lizziebix
  • I used to make great reservations!

• 22,757 posts
  • Joined Sep 15, 2009
  • 6,387 rep
We have to pay extra to get subtitles. Comcast sucks! But that would work so nicely. :P

The Disappearing Boy

The Disappearing Boy

• 16,036 posts
  • Joined Jan 02, 2007
  • 3,533 rep

What about the TARDIS towing the fucking Earth back into place in Journey's End?! There are so so so many ridiculous things that happen in Doctor Who I just find it weird to harp on them happening now. It's always been that way.

I don't mind things like that if they make for good television, and the Journey's End bit was brilliant, so I'm fine with it. Same with this episode. Which is still brilliant.
  • Clockwise likes this

Rosie May

Rosie May
  • Positively Pessimistic

• 4,351 posts
  • Joined Mar 30, 2007
  • 1,371 rep

This. There is a pretty big suspension of disbelief in Doctor Who anyway. If the story is good enough it can carry the science being totally bonkers. Like it's cool if some of their story lines are scientifically accurate, but it's not the end of the world to me if they're not. 

• Clockwise likes this

Clockwise

Clockwise
  • Running on fruit snacks!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,996 posts
  • Joined Apr 09, 2009
  • 729 rep

I don't mind things like that if they make for good television, and the Journey's End bit was brilliant, so I'm fine with it. Same with this episode. Which is still brilliant.

This. There is a pretty big suspension of disbelief in Doctor Who anyway. If the story is good enough it can carry the science being totally bonkers. Like it's cool if some of their story lines are scientifically accurate, but it's not the end of the world to me if they're not. 

Yeah, exactly. As long as it makes sense within the context of the Doctor Who universe (which has always been bonkers), I have no issue with the science.

• Rosie May likes this

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife
  • We're Coming Home Again

• 12,166 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 11,999 rep

I liked this episode because we had Clara on her own without the Doctor, and so we lost that sense of "Oh, the Doctor's here, everything will be okay!" We had the Doctor in a pretty powerless position throughout the episode which was new and interesting, and of course we had Clara being the Doctor. Great character progression with her, and it obviously gave her a bit of a look into what it's like to be the person making the tough decisions, and having to call the shots in situations where there is no good choice to make. I'm interested to see if this draws her closer to the Doctor. In the past couple of episodes we see her pushing the Doctor away for Danny, but here we see her choosing the Doctor over Danny once more, so I'm interested to see how that plays out. 

I agree with Tom, the monsters this week were fantastic, genuinely scary for a change :happy:

edit: I knew the TARDIS in siege mode or whatever it was looked like something and I just realized what! It was a tiny little version of the Pandorica, oh man.

• Rosie May and SaintJimmy13 like this

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 17,417 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 19,697 rep

The Doctor dancing and singing the Addam's Family theme song fucking killed me.

• johndorkian and Lady Nightlife like this

Emilie.

Emilie.
  • Super Nintendo Chalmers

• 14,557 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,655 rep

ugh i forgot to watch again

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TV Show

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users