Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Doctor Who

* * * * * 14 votes TV Show

• Please log in to reply
5008 replies to this topic

The Disappearing Boy

The Disappearing Boy
  • His Dissappearingness The Reverend Major Sir Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,846 posts
  • Joined Jan 02, 2007
  • 3,340 rep

Spoiler

Rosie May

Rosie May
  • Positively Pessimistic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,227 posts
  • Joined Mar 30, 2007
  • 1,241 rep

^

Spoiler

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 395 rep

Spoiler

ifmemoryserves

ifmemoryserves
  • 24,202 posts
  • Joined Feb 27, 2006
  • 1,793 rep

Spoiler

Spoiler

• Disapperingirl and SaintJimmy13 like this

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 395 rep

Spoiler

Yeah, Moffat needs to get it into his head that not everyone needs a partner. Amy and Rory could've worked well if they had decent storylines, but River annoyed me when she was in it more often, and now Danny's messing things up as well. Rose did most of her series without anyone else, and so did Martha & Donna, and it wasn't a problem.

ifmemoryserves

ifmemoryserves
  • 24,202 posts
  • Joined Feb 27, 2006
  • 1,793 rep

Yeah, Moffat needs to get it into his head that not everyone needs a partner. Amy and Rory could've worked well if they had decent storylines, but River annoyed me when she was in it more often, and now Danny's messing things up as well. Rose did most of her series without anyone else, and so did Martha & Donna, and it wasn't a problem.

well honestly i liked amy and rory and river is one of my favorite characters, i just find danny annoying and burdensome. i completely understand why some people dislike the whole amy rory era, but personally i enjoyed it. i do agree that not everyone needs a partner though. i think clara and the others you mentioned do fine on their own. mickey also annoyed the shit out of me lol
  • Lady Nightlife and SaintJimmy13 like this

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 395 rep

well honestly i liked amy and rory and river is one of my favorite characters, i just find danny annoying and burdensome. i completely understand why some people dislike the whole amy rory era, but personally i enjoyed it. i do agree that not everyone needs a partner though. i think clara and the others you mentioned do fine on their own. mickey also annoyed the shit out of me lol

I think that River is a great idea wasted by bad writing - before we actually knew who she was, my theory on her origin was that she volunteered to fight for Gallifrey in the Time War, and was granted a regeneration cycle as a reward for her service, but then we found that she's Amy and Rory's child, which is both disappointing and a bit weird. Mickey was OK for me because he wasn't (as far as I can remember) in it constantly, more an occasional character. Danny's a more regular character, and it seems like Moffat's trying too hard with him.

ifmemoryserves

ifmemoryserves
  • 24,202 posts
  • Joined Feb 27, 2006
  • 1,793 rep

I think that River is a great idea wasted by bad writing - before we actually knew who she was, my theory on her origin was that she volunteered to fight for Gallifrey in the Time War, and was granted a regeneration cycle as a reward for her service, but then we found that she's Amy and Rory's child, which is both disappointing and a bit weird. Mickey was OK for me because he wasn't (as far as I can remember) in it constantly, more an occasional character. Danny's a more regular character, and it seems like Moffat's trying too hard with him.

wow your river theory is way cooler than anything i could come up with, but honestly i enjoyed the actual story, even though it was completely ridiculous :lol: and yeah, mickey wasn't as constant, which was good. they are definitely trying too hard with danny and i'm not buyin' it.
  • SaintJimmy13 likes this

johndorkian

johndorkian
  • fighter of the nightman

• 15,835 posts
  • Joined Dec 31, 2006
  • 3,897 rep

danny also sort of comes off as a dickhead.

• Disapperingirl, WhatserKinx and SaintJimmy13 like this

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 395 rep

danny also sort of comes off as a dickhead.

And that. When he got pissed off just because Clara didn't tell him she knew the Doctor, I thought it was a bit much - really, isn't she allowed to have a life outside Danny and the school?

Clockwise

Clockwise
  • Running on fruit snacks!

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,984 posts
  • Joined Apr 09, 2009
  • 722 rep

I like Danny a lot so far, idk.

The Disappearing Boy

The Disappearing Boy

• 15,846 posts
  • Joined Jan 02, 2007
  • 3,340 rep
I'm undecided on Danny - it's too early to tell. At least he does have potential though, what with being an ex soldier, and the emotional stuff that comes with that.

I quite liked Mickey. He had a good hero-to-zero character arc, and I'm a bit of a sucker for that kind of thing.

Ana.

Ana.
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  • Joined Jan 18, 2012
  • 368 rep

I don't really care for Danny but I don't like Danny/Clara at all. Feels so forced to me.

The Disappearing Boy

The Disappearing Boy

• 15,846 posts
  • Joined Jan 02, 2007
  • 3,340 rep

Also, what happened to those random kids that Clara was living with? Why have they never even been mentioned?

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 395 rep

POPULAR

Also, what happened to those random kids that Clara was living with? Why have they never even been mentioned?

They fell through a plothole.

• ifmemoryserves, The Disappearing Boy, Rosie May and 2 others like this

Advertising

GreenRanger

GreenRanger
  • Probably Someone Else

• 4,036 posts
  • Joined Jun 23, 2010
  • 1,548 rep

Eh, i think my favorite part of the episode was when Danny managed to get right under the Doctor's skin by putting on an overly soldier-ish persona.  It showed that the Doctor has a pretty ingrained and exploitable prejudice and isn't above being called out on it.  I also liked Danny's question to Clara about why she decided to run away with the Doctor.  It makes me think about what different reasons for that could be besides "it's amazing" which is the rationale for most companions...though with Danny, his objective to try and keep Clara safe or whatever could serve as an exception.  Though uh, it's kind of the same thing that happened with Rory...who, coincidentally was brought on as a companion in the 6th episode of the season.

I dunno, Danny as a whole is really kind of a mess for me.  On one hand, I really want to see him as a companion that disagrees with the Doctor and won't be afraid to fall back on skills that would be useful in the situations he gets in.  On the other, I kind of like the idea of someone who refuses the Doctor since it's kind of been a while since we've seen that.  He actually asks good questions on occasion and an earthly perspective is nice...but as of now I do feel like he's slowed down both The Caretaker and Listen quite a bit.  So I don't know how to feel about him just yet.

• Lady Nightlife and SaintJimmy13 like this

Rosie May

Rosie May
  • Positively Pessimistic

• 4,227 posts
  • Joined Mar 30, 2007
  • 1,241 rep

Ooh, that's a nice theory. :happy: I don't mind River being Rory and Amy's child, but the whole Mel's business was a mess. Like ok, they new she turned out alright, but Amy and Rory still don't know what happened to their baby, and don't seem too bothered by it after Let's Kill Hitler. =/ I hate how that story was ballsed up, it had so much potential in the beginning.

It does sort of annoy me that Clara and Danny are already a couple. I can already seeing it ending in the Rory/Amy way: making Clara chose between Danny and the Doctor and naturally, she'll choose Danny.   

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife
  • Loving Isn't Knowing

• 11,835 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 11,605 rep

This is the first episode of the season that's just been a bit "ehhh" for me. I'm not sure why, it had all the ingredients of being an episode I'd really like (character-driven, interpersonal communication issues, tension, rudenesss, etc.) but it all just didn't fall into place for me. I dislike the whole Danny/Clara/Doctor dynamic, Danny just feels really shoehorned into things, and maybe that's the point? But it just doesn't feel right. I didn't like when Clara chose Danny over the Doctor, even though I know that's what always happens in the end and it's the real tragedy of the Doctor's existence - I just don't like seeing it happen. 

• Disapperingirl and SaintJimmy13 like this

Rosie May

Rosie May
  • Positively Pessimistic

• 4,227 posts
  • Joined Mar 30, 2007
  • 1,241 rep

^ Yeah I agree about Danny being shoe-horned in a bit.  Normally Moffat seems to do better with trios (9/Rose/Jack and Amy/11/Rory) With Amy and 11 it was ok, but when Rory came in it felt like he was the missing ingredient. The chemistry is so good between 12 and Clara is so good that another character is unnecessary. 

The Disappearing Boy

The Disappearing Boy

• 15,846 posts
  • Joined Jan 02, 2007
  • 3,340 rep

Ooh, that's a nice theory. :happy: I don't mind River being Rory and Amy's child, but the whole Mel's business was a mess. Like ok, they new she turned out alright, but Amy and Rory still don't know what happened to their baby, and don't seem too bothered by it after Let's Kill Hitler. =/ I hate how that story was ballsed up, it had so much potential in the beginning.

Basically, series 6 - save for a few good episodes - is crap.

I think the reason Danny feels shoehorned in is because we aren't seeing all of Clara's life, so it looks like the relationship is developing at quite a pace. It's only really existed over the course of 3 or 4 episodes, but because Clara isn't constantly with the Doctor, that could be 6 months.

Rosie May

Rosie May
  • Positively Pessimistic

• 4,227 posts
  • Joined Mar 30, 2007
  • 1,241 rep

^ I really enjoyed series 6 while watching it. Especially the opening two episodes, they're amazing. (Again, Moffat has a brilliant set up that's pay off doesn't quite live up to it.) It's only looking back on it and actually thinking about that shows t up as a bit of a shambles. 

Also I hate how random Clara's career jump was. Like there was no mention of her wanting to be a teacher at all in series 7, then all of a sudden she is one in the 50th with no explanation at all. Just a even a throwaway line about how she got the job, moved away from Archie and whatever her name was would've done the job. 

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 395 rep

^ I really enjoyed series 6 while watching it. Especially the opening two episodes, they're amazing. (Again, Moffat has a brilliant set up that's pay off doesn't quite live up to it.) It's only looking back on it and actually thinking about that shows t up as a bit of a shambles. 

Exactly. The Silents were a great idea, and the bit in the orphanage is fantastic, but then he went and screwed it up. I actually had another idea for who the Silents were, but I wanted to write the whole story and never got further than the opening, so now I can't remember what I had for their origin.

Also, http://www.playbuzz....rnation-are-you

I got William Hartnell. Normally that'd be an unexpected result (I generally get Colin Baker), but I'm all too used to seeing William Hartnell's face appear in a square.

• Rosie May and Lady Nightlife like this

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife
  • Loving Isn't Knowing

• 11,835 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 11,605 rep

^ I got Matt Smith, probably because of my answer to the lunch question :rolleyes:

The Disappearing Boy

The Disappearing Boy

• 15,846 posts
  • Joined Jan 02, 2007
  • 3,340 rep

Also I hate how random Clara's career jump was. Like there was no mention of her wanting to be a teacher at all in series 7, then all of a sudden she is one in the 50th with no explanation at all. Just a even a throwaway line about how she got the job, moved away from Archie and whatever her name was would've done the job. 

I disliked series 6 while watching it. Except for the first two and A Good Man Goes to War. The biggest problem was splitting it over 7 or 8 months - it made it virtually impossible to follow. I watched it in full about a year ago and was able to follow the story by watching one episode straight after the other, but it's still an utterly forgettable series besides the three episodes I mentioned.

On a related note, the first seven series in order of preference from worst to best (not including the specials):

Series 7: I really can't think of a reason as to why this series was good (unless you count Day of the Doctor as part of the series). Ok, the cliffhanger at the end of Name of the Doctor was pretty good, but that's too little too late to save the series for me. Too many forgettable episodes. The only one I've re-watched is Journey to the Centre of the Tardis, but that was botched any way.

Series 6: For the reasons stated above, really. A crap story arc was made worse by being split over a year. A few noteworthy episodes. It did have the fat blue man, which was a plus. He had a great name too - Dorium Maldovar. I'd actually like him to return.

Series 2: This is where things start to get better, without being brilliant. Highlights include the Satan's Pit two-parter. A slightly cheesy story, but it had some really thought-provoking and emotional bits too. But there was a lot of average stuff as well, including the series ender. I also never really bought into the 10/Rose relationship. The Doctor shouldn't fall in love with his companions like that.

Series 5: Had easily the best Doctor debut episode of the new series. The angels two-parter was good too. Amy's Choice was a nice, creepy episode, though it had a crap ending. The crack in the universe story arc was annoying, but I liked the finale episodes.

Series 3: Martha was probably my least favourite companion, so that's not a good start. The first half of the series was ok, but the second half? Dear god, Human Nature, Family of Blood, Blink, Utopia and Sound of the Drums are probably the best 5 episodes of new Who, and they come here one after the other. That alone is enough to make it into the top three, for me.

Series 1: First off, Chris Ecclestone was a brilliant Doctor, and it's a crying shame he only had one series. Again, the first half of the series was average, but Dalek onwards was excellent, and I'll never forget the regeneration at the end of Parting of the Ways as it was the first one I saw. An excellent way to kick-start the revived series.

Series 4: Struggling to think of anything negative about this series. Maybe the Sontaran two-parter? Maybe the Agatha Christie one? But other than that, it had Tennant at his peak, the best companion/Doctor relationship in new Who and some cracking stories, including the Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead (the Vashta Nerada need to make a comeback, mainly coz of their cool name), Midnight, Fires of Pompeii and of course a brilliant, and emotional finale - the best one of new Who. Series 4 is by far the peak for new Who - it's gonna take some beating.

I haven't rated series 8 for obvious reasons, but it's looking good so far, and is easily the best since series 4. It started off well, had a minor blip with this week's episode, but I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops over the coming weeks. I have a feeling there is plenty more room for darkness, so hopefully that's what we'll get.

• Ana., Lady Nightlife and SaintJimmy13 like this

GreenRanger

GreenRanger
  • Probably Someone Else

• 4,036 posts
  • Joined Jun 23, 2010
  • 1,548 rep

Exactly. The Silents were a great idea, and the bit in the orphanage is fantastic, but then he went and screwed it up. I actually had another idea for who the Silents were, but I wanted to write the whole story and never got further than the opening, so now I can't remember what I had for their origin.

Also, http://www.playbuzz....rnation-are-you

I got William Hartnell. Normally that'd be an unexpected result (I generally get Colin Baker), but I'm all too used to seeing William Hartnell's face appear in a square.

I got Peter Davison.  Haven't watched much of him really but I always said that Davison was the only doctor I've ever had a chance of remotely resembling.  He reminds me a lot of how my dad looked when he was younger.  I kind of liked the questions though, better than I usually see on those kinds of quizzes.

The Disappearing Boy

The Disappearing Boy

• 15,846 posts
  • Joined Jan 02, 2007
  • 3,340 rep

I'm Jon Pertwee, apparently.

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 395 rep

the Agatha Christie one

Oh God, I'd forgotten about that until you mentioned it. Damn.

• The Disappearing Boy likes this

Emilie.

Emilie.
  • Super Nintendo Chalmers

• 14,304 posts
  • Joined Jun 18, 2010
  • 4,555 rep

I'm Peter Davison. It was a good quiz. Normally the answers are really predictable and you can tell really easily who you're gonna get. 

Ana.

Ana.
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 861 posts
  • Joined Jan 18, 2012
  • 368 rep

I got Christopher Eccleston! 

The roughness in you, put there by past experience or trauma, can only be softened by a companion's love and help. Though sometimes you can be grim and serious, there's a fun-loving part in you that lets you get excited when you come across something unusual, interesting or clever

man, that's so accurate

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TV Show

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users