Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Doctor Who

* * * * * 14 votes TV Show

• Please log in to reply
4602 replies to this topic

WhatserKinx

WhatserKinx
  • THE GAME IS BACK ON

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,860 posts
  • Joined Mar 06, 2012
  • 2,912 rep

You may well be the only person in this thread who prefers Moffat's era :P

They're obviously Moffat is disguise

The Disappearing Boy

The Disappearing Boy
  • British Idiot.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,121 posts
  • Joined Jan 02, 2007
  • 2,561 rep

http://www.buzzfeed....-a-whovian-qd27

12 and 15 are literally the only things I agreed with :lol:

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife
  • Always You, Never A Replacement

• 10,612 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 10,009 rep

http://www.buzzfeed....-a-whovian-qd27

11 and 15 are literally the only things I agreed with :lol:

lol most inaccurate Buzzfeed post ever.

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 72 rep

Yeah, just 12 and 15. I should've expected as much just by the fact that the URL is mistyped.

• The Disappearing Boy likes this

The Disappearing Boy

The Disappearing Boy
  • British Idiot.

• 15,121 posts
  • Joined Jan 02, 2007
  • 2,561 rep

I don't even get what 14 is referring to?

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 72 rep

I don't even get what 14 is referring to?

Neither do I. That post is just terrible (no mention of any pre-9 stuff - knowing at least something of those days is mandatory to be Whovian).

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife

• 10,612 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 10,009 rep

I think the most annoying thing about that post is that they didn't even use gifs from the show to make their points.

• Disapperingirl and SaintJimmy13 like this

Maddy.

Maddy.
  • northern sailor

• 26,094 posts
  • Joined Jun 15, 2009
  • 6,548 rep

DW isn't a high art form or anything like that

The worst cop out.

Just because something isn't meant to be a "high art form" doesn't mean the creators shouldn't at least try to make it not shit. That's the least you could ask of television. "It's meant to be rubbish" isn't a good reason for something to be rubbish. Especially when it's not meant to be rubbish.

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife

• 10,612 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 10,009 rep

The worst cop out.

Just because something isn't meant to be a "high art form" doesn't mean the creators shouldn't at least try to make it not shit. That's the least you could ask of television. "It's meant to be rubbish" isn't a good reason for something to be rubbish. Especially when it's not meant to be rubbish.

I think we can agree that the creators have (by and large) managed to make the show not shit, otherwise why would any of us be here?  It's just... how do I put this. I didn't intend to imply that this show is meant to be crappy, I certainly don't think that. I just don't expect much by way of mind-blowing writing when it comes to T.V. shows, especially shows like Doctor Who that have a large number of episodes per season. I don't think it's feasible to expect amazing writing in every episode when you're working with that much material, and as long as there is some really good stuff to balance out the not-so-stellar stuff, I'm okay. I expect a show I like to evoke certain emotional responses/distract me from real life, but if the writing occasionally (or even not-so-occasionally) uses "cheap shots" to bring about certain audience responses, I'm not too fussed about it as long as the show as a whole isn't dragged down to the point where I don't want to watch it anymore.

• SaintJimmy13 likes this

Maddy.

Maddy.
  • northern sailor

• 26,094 posts
  • Joined Jun 15, 2009
  • 6,548 rep

I think we can agree that the creators have (by and large) managed to make the show not shit, otherwise why would any of us be here?  It's just... how do I put this. I didn't intend to imply that this show is meant to be crappy, I certainly don't think that. I just don't expect much by way of mind-blowing writing when it comes to T.V. shows, especially shows like Doctor Who that have a large number of episodes per season. I don't think it's feasible to expect amazing writing in every episode when you're working with that much material, and as long as there is some really good stuff to balance out the not-so-stellar stuff, I'm okay. I expect a show I like to evoke certain emotional responses/distract me from real life, but if the writing occasionally (or even not-so-occasionally) uses "cheap shots" to bring about certain audience responses, I'm not too fussed about it as long as the show as a whole isn't dragged down to the point where I don't want to watch it anymore.

To the bolded: that's the problem, when you base something's worth on how many people like it. Lots of people like Twilight, 50 Shades, Vampire Diaries etc etc, that doesn't make them good. 

To each one's own and everything but I find terribly written light entertainment just as abhorrent as terribly written "high art forms". I don't know if that's me setting unrealistic standards, but applying low standards to what entertains you turns you into a mindless couch potato watching meaningless drivel and eating it up because as soon as anyone applies criticism you can simply say "but it's not supposed to be good/logical/interesting/quality". 

• johndorkian likes this

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife

• 10,612 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 10,009 rep

I typed out this long answer because I'm cantankerous and like fighting, but then I realized that I don't even disagree with you a little bit on either of those points :lol:

I just don't feel that DW is a terribly written show. Are there aspects of it that are badly written? Yes, but as a whole I (obviously) don't think it's not worth my time. I'll be the first one to say that my judgment of the writing might be terribly clouded because I'm so wrapped up in my affection for the show as a whole, the characters, etc., but I'd like to think that I'd notice if the writing was awful enough to render the show unworthy of the hype it enjoys.

Céadóg

Céadóg
  • Fucking say it

• 16,707 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2012
  • 18,148 rep

Clearly not all TV is shite (see BB, BTVS, Firefly, GoT, etc) but DW has become overreliant on cheap tricks and special effects to attract viewers rather than amazing writing and acting that was the trademark of 9 and most of 10. Doctor Who isn't complete wank, it has the potential to be one of the best shows out there. That is completely reliant though on Capaldi putting in an amazing performance (guaranteed) and Moffat stepping up his game significantly (not guaranteed).

• johndorkian, Maddy., Lady Nightlife and 1 other like this

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife

• 10,612 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 10,009 rep

tumblr_n96itrwwgW1qijoeyo1_500.jpg

:dance:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TV Show

0 user(s) are reading this topic