Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Doctor Who

* * * * * 14 votes TV Show

• Please log in to reply
4418 replies to this topic

The Disappearing Boy

The Disappearing Boy
  • British Idiot.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,113 posts
  • Joined Jan 02, 2007
  • 1,854 rep

I dislike Martha too, but Human Nature, Family of Blood, Blink, Utopia, The Sound of Drums is an amazing run of episodes.

Rosie May

Rosie May
  • Positively Pessimistic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,865 posts
  • Joined Mar 30, 2007
  • 841 rep

The second half of series three is brilliant I think, from Human Nature onwards. Series three and four are still my favourites, it builds up and pays off the end of the RTD era really well. 

A song for the lovers

A song for the lovers
  • Daddy's had enough now!

• 22,113 posts
  • Joined Jul 11, 2007
  • 4,893 rep

I never liked Martha's character because she spent all her time pining after teh Doctor. I also didn't like her era in general because teh Doctor spends his time pining after Rose, for god knows what reason. teh Family of Blood episodes were teh only ones that I really enjoyed and go back to from Martha's time with teh Doctor.

I don't like the fact that he talk about Rose when Martha is with him, looks a bit offensive to me... oh well, I watched only five episode of season 3

Starred Thoughts

Starred Thoughts
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Joined Jun 26, 2009
  • 138 rep

Starting getting into this show in December, and honestly kicking myself that it didn't happen sooner. Been through the new seasons 1 and 2, and almost done with 3. Thought I'd share some things from my noob perspective  :lol:

I think Christopher Eccleston is WAY underrated. I feel like when most people think of Doctor Who (the new series, anyway) it's only Matt Smith or David Tennant that come to mind. Maybe it's because he only had one season, but I think he is fantastic and left just a little too soon. I've warmed up to David Tennant now (and by warmed up I mean in LOVE) and I'm not looking forward to seeing him go when I get to the end of season 4.

As far as companions go, I can only speak for Rose and Martha currently. I do like Rose, but there is something kind of dodgy about her character. Her whole "welp, fuck this" attitude when it came to giving up her life was kind of weird, even when she could see how it upset her mother. It also wasn't fair to Mickey to just keep him hanging like that. Break up with him or don't! I wasn't expecting the departure she had... cried at the end of that one.

I want to like Martha, but I can't tell if it's her character or just the script she is given. She doesn't really get a chance to shine or do anything, which is surprising considering her intelligence (I felt that Rose had a more active involvement). She is either the damsel in distress or just a passive part of the plot. And she gets attracted to the doctor rather quickly, but gets mad that he's still in love with Rose (I think she says something like "get over it" in 'Utopia'. Like wtf?). So yeah, she could have been a lot better, but it seems it just wasn't written to be that way. I can't wait for Donna to come back  :happy:

Anyway, that's just my two cents. This show is AMAZING. Seriously. Netflix is my best friend in being able to keep up with it  :wub:

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit
  • "ben's actually a giant teddy bear" -Lone

• 8,743 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,563 rep

I've yet to see people underrate Christopher Eccleston. I think it's more a matter of he was only in one season, the very first, and the show didn't really pick up until David Tennant came along. I don't think we've had a bad Doctor yet in the new series, and really the only Doctors that I've never been able to get into in the very limited classic stuff I've seen were the First and Seventh. I don't get the hate for the Sixth Doctor. I think he's a wonderful asshole with an ego the size of Gallifrey. My kind of guy.

My guess would be that in England, Tennant is the most popular Doctor. Matt Smith is the most popular guy over here, as evidenced by the bow tie and fez sets that I still stumble across in novelty shops (and one sex shop...that was unsettling).  As for those first couple of companions, Rose was great with Nine, then, imo, terrible with Ten. Even when she was a strong, likable character with the Ninth Doctor, she was still a royal cunt to Mickey who clearly wanted to patch things up with her, even if it was just as friends. As annoying as she was in the second season, she did get a hell of a sendoff the first time around, topped in emo feels only by Amy and Rory's goodbye. Don't read ahead, btw. Amy and Rory's goodbye was immediately added to my "list of TV/movie/video game moments that it's ok for a dude to cry about" list.

Martha's a whiny bitch. It's pretty clear that she's in love with the Doctor, but they pretty strongly dislike each other at the same time, as evidenced by the Doctor's occasional desire to replace her. She finally gets a moment in the sun that seems to finally earn the Doctor's respect, but it's too little, too late for the character, and imo unbelievable. Just wait until the next season. You've got one episode with Kylie Minogue as the companion, then you get into Donna, the only woman in existence, actual or fictional, who makes our dear, sweet Kay seem warm, friendly and sincere by comparison. :D

The Disappearing Boy

The Disappearing Boy
  • British Idiot.

• 14,113 posts
  • Joined Jan 02, 2007
  • 1,854 rep

Starting getting into this show in December, and honestly kicking myself that it didn't happen sooner. Been through the new seasons 1 and 2, and almost done with 3. Thought I'd share some things from my noob perspective  :lol:

I think Christopher Eccleston is WAY underrated. I feel like when most people think of Doctor Who (the new series, anyway) it's only Matt Smith or David Tennant that come to mind. Maybe it's because he only had one season, but I think he is fantastic and left just a little too soon. I've warmed up to David Tennant now (and by warmed up I mean in LOVE) and I'm not looking forward to seeing him go when I get to the end of season 4.

As far as companions go, I can only speak for Rose and Martha currently. I do like Rose, but there is something kind of dodgy about her character. Her whole "welp, fuck this" attitude when it came to giving up her life was kind of weird, even when she could see how it upset her mother. It also wasn't fair to Mickey to just keep him hanging like that. Break up with him or don't! I wasn't expecting the departure she had... cried at the end of that one.

I want to like Martha, but I can't tell if it's her character or just the script she is given. She doesn't really get a chance to shine or do anything, which is surprising considering her intelligence (I felt that Rose had a more active involvement). She is either the damsel in distress or just a passive part of the plot. And she gets attracted to the doctor rather quickly, but gets mad that he's still in love with Rose (I think she says something like "get over it" in 'Utopia'. Like wtf?). So yeah, she could have been a lot better, but it seems it just wasn't written to be that way. I can't wait for Donna to come back  :happy:

Anyway, that's just my two cents. This show is AMAZING. Seriously. Netflix is my best friend in being able to keep up with it  :wub:

I think Ecclestone is my favourite. I don't know if he's underrated, but certainly not talked about. Once you've done Doctor Who, watch Torchwood, it's a spin-off that was mentioned loads in series 2, and is just fantastic.

Lady Nightlife

Lady Nightlife
  • Come Along, Pond

• 8,811 posts
  • Joined Dec 29, 2012
  • 8,153 rep

I've yet to see people underrate Christopher Eccleston. I think it's more a matter of he was only in one season, the very first, and the show didn't really pick up until David Tennant came along. I don't think we've had a bad Doctor yet in the new series, and really the only Doctors that I've never been able to get into in the very limited classic stuff I've seen were the First and Seventh. I don't get the hate for the Sixth Doctor. I think he's a wonderful asshole with an ego the size of Gallifrey. My kind of guy.

My guess would be that in England, Tennant is the most popular Doctor. Matt Smith is the most popular guy over here, as evidenced by the bow tie and fez sets that I still stumble across in novelty shops (and one sex shop...that was unsettling).  As for those first couple of companions, Rose was great with Nine, then, imo, terrible with Ten. Even when she was a strong, likable character with the Ninth Doctor, she was still a royal cunt to Mickey who clearly wanted to patch things up with her, even if it was just as friends. As annoying as she was in the second season, she did get a hell of a sendoff the first time around, topped in emo feels only by Amy and Rory's goodbye. Don't read ahead, btw. Amy and Rory's goodbye was immediately added to my "list of TV/movie/video game moments that it's ok for a dude to cry about" list.

Martha's a whiny bitch. It's pretty clear that she's in love with the Doctor, but they pretty strongly dislike each other at the same time, as evidenced by the Doctor's occasional desire to replace her. She finally gets a moment in the sun that seems to finally earn the Doctor's respect, but it's too little, too late for the character, and imo unbelievable. Just wait until the next season. You've got one episode with Kylie Minogue as the companion, then you get into Donna, the only woman in existence, actual or fictional, who makes our dear, sweet Kay seem warm, friendly and sincere by comparison. :D

I've seen disgusting fangirls rating Tennant and Smith above Eccleston simply because "they're so hawtttt!!!" Absolutely repulsive, but it still happens. I think some people also dislike Eccleston a bit because he comes off way less touchy-feely/sensitive than Tennant's or Smith's Doctors. He's a tortured soul, sure, but he's stoic and matter-of-fact about it instead of gluttonously indulging in a feels-fest every time something triggers memories of Gallifrey/the Time War/etc. People don't know how to react to a Doctor who just sucks it up and deals with it. They want to feel along with him and get all weepy over his struggles. I'm really hoping that Capaldi's Doctor is more along the lines of Eccleston's than anyone else's.

I agree with the rest of your commentary on Rose, I'll add that I find it ridiculously annoying that she only seemed to develop feelings for the Doctor once he regenerated into the arguably hotter body of David Tennant. It irritates me to no end that the female companions on the show only tend to fall in love with the more attractive versions of the Doctor - fuck's sake, ladies, he's the same man regardless of what body he's in.

Also, :fuckyou:

Tre's Busted Drumkit

Tre's Busted Drumkit
  • "ben's actually a giant teddy bear" -Lone

• 8,743 posts
  • Joined Feb 25, 2010
  • 4,563 rep

Capaldi's Doctor will supposedly be on the dark side, but Moffat has referred to the Twelfth incarnation as "old-young" as opposed to Eleven's "young-old" dynamic. Makes me wonder if the new regeneration cycle is going to give the Doctor a morale boost and make him have a little more hop in his step than the Eleventh had at times, especially towards the end, but a determination to find Gallifrey at any cost will make him a character willing to go to darker depths than Ten, Eleven or even Nine ever were to get to the outcome he desired.

I kind of saw the Eleventh Doctor as a bit of a cross between the Fourth and Sixth Doctors, and I'm kind of feeling like Twelve will have a Five/Six dynamic going on. It's amusing to me that the Sixth Doctor was so disliked that many credit him with killing the show, but all three modern Doctors have had elements of his personality mixed in there, and you can't say the same for any other classic Doctor.

A song for the lovers

A song for the lovers
  • Daddy's had enough now!

• 22,113 posts
  • Joined Jul 11, 2007
  • 4,893 rep

just watched Blink episode in my first time... oh my god one of the best episode ever!! 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: TV Show

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users