Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
The results of the Bobo Awards are now available here! Didn't get to vote? Go support our boys by voting for them here. I know we can beat Paramore this time.

Photo

Lostprophets

• Please log in to reply
537 replies to this topic

Todd

Todd
  • Sweet and Sour Children

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,985 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 5,892 rep

Keyword: two people. Rape is not "two people having sex". Rape is one person doing it out of their own interest, while not caring about the other person's feelings at all. I wouldn't even define rape as sex tbh, it's violation and abuse.
So yeah, big difference.

Exactly, I didn't say anything about rape.

Hermione

Hermione
  • Soggy Dream

• 27,399 posts
  • Joined Jan 09, 2008
  • 10,054 rep

Exactly, I didn't say anything about rape.

I get that. But you still seem to be implying that destroying your band members' careers and probably causing all kinds of heartache for them isn't any more selfish towards those band members than having consensual sex with someone (which would have no effect on them) would be.

Todd

Todd

• 12,985 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 5,892 rep

I get that. But you still seem to be implying that destroying your band members' careers and probably causing all kinds of heartache for them isn't any more selfish towards those band members than having consensual sex with someone (which would have no effect on them) would be.

Yeah, Comrade was right, I just shouldn't say anything :lol: As for their careers, I didn't think of that. Fuck. It takes years to build up such a fan base, and now they lost all of that. If they wanted to continue in the music industry, they'd have to start over from the bottom. Certainly, nobody would perform such acts if they thought they would get caught. So it was selfish of him not to consider the negative consequences his actions had the potential to bring down upon the rest o his band.

Floyd Pinkerton

Floyd Pinkerton
  • Head of Tom's legal council

• 18,898 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 2,894 rep

I hope this guy rots in a prison cell the rest of his life. And regularly gets beaten by the other inmates.

• Stacie Anne likes this

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.
  • He's not an eggplant.

• 15,612 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 16,465 rep

POPULAR

But seriously how can people be against corporal punishment with people like this? What is the point in keeping such a vile human being alive? String him up by his balls until he bleeds out.

1. Retribution by just killing someone off is morally questionable.

2. It costs an absolute fortune.

3. The extensive legal process required can just prolong the agony for the victim or their loved ones.

4. The criminal no longer has to suffer the consequences of their actions. It's actually more of a punishment to keep them alive in prison.

5. It punishes those close to the criminal rather than the criminal himself. Sure, what he's done is disgusting and his family probably want nothing to do with him ever again, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't be heartbroken if he was killed.

6. It doesn't even serve as an example. The death penalty isn't a deterrent, statistically speaking.

7. Life in prison is enough to guarantee a criminal won't reoffend.

8. Killing is just morally wrong.

9. The implication that a court of law can decide whether someone lives or dies is terrifying and Orwellian on the face of it.

10. It promotes killing as an acceptable solution to a difficult problem.

11. Killing one sex offender would imply they should all be killed. A view anyone is free to hold, but can you imagine the clusterfuck if every pedophile, whether famous or not, was executed?

12. It gives a criminal publicity, which can lead them to become cult figures or martyrs in the eyes of some (sick) people.

13. The death penalty involves medical doctors, who are sworn to preserve life.

14. The death penalty is an expression of a state's absolute power. Give them that power, and before long we're all living in North Korea. The limit is important. 

15. One that I don't personally believe, but it's still valid - religious opposition. 

16. What makes it ok for anyone to decide whether or not others have the right to life?

Don't get me wrong, Watkins is a fucking vile piece of shit and his actions are beyond words. But I'd rather he rots in jail and has a long, long time to suffer with the guilt of what he's done. The implications of executing anyone don't bear thinking about, especially in this day and age.

• The Disappearing Boy, Velocity, Rosie May and 6 others like this

colour_me_stupid_

colour_me_stupid_
  • disappearin' in the fade

• 8,552 posts
  • Joined Jan 07, 2007
  • 1,723 rep

To be honest, I wont be surprised if  he commits suicide 

Andrew

Andrew
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Joined Feb 02, 2013
  • 2,118 rep
I don't want him to die, he deserves to suffer. They should be allowed to castrate him or something.
  • Velocity, OhTheGuilt., Stacie Anne and 1 other like this

Floyd Pinkerton

Floyd Pinkerton

• 18,898 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 2,894 rep

I don't want him to die, he deserves to suffer. They should be allowed to castrate him or something.

With a rusty butter knife covered in the worst of bacteria.

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,928 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,709 rep

1. Retribution by just killing someone off is morally questionable.
2. It costs an absolute fortune.
3. The extensive legal process required can just prolong the agony for the victim or their loved ones.
4. The criminal no longer has to suffer the consequences of their actions. It's actually more of a punishment to keep them alive in prison.
5. It punishes those close to the criminal rather than the criminal himself. Sure, what he's done is disgusting and his family probably want nothing to do with him ever again, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't be heartbroken if he was killed.
6. It doesn't even serve as an example. The death penalty isn't a deterrent, statistically speaking.
8. Killing is just morally wrong.
9. The implication that a court of law can decide whether someone lives or dies is terrifying and Orwellian on the face of it.
10. It promotes killing as an acceptable solution to a difficult problem.
11. Killing one sex offender would imply they should all be killed. A view anyone is free to hold, but can you imagine the clusterfuck if every pedophile, whether famous or not, was executed?
12. It gives a criminal publicity, which can lead them to become cult figures or martyrs in the eyes of some (sick) people.
13. The death penalty involves medical doctors, who are sworn to preserve life.
14. The death penalty is an expression of a state's absolute power. Give them that power, and before long we're all living in North Korea. The limit is important. 
15. One that I don't personally believe, but it's still valid - religious opposition. 
16. What makes it ok for anyone to decide whether or not others have the right to life?

Don't get me wrong, Watkins is a fucking vile piece of shit and his actions are beyond words. But I'd rather he rots in jail and has a long, long time to suffer with the guilt of what he's done. The implications of executing anyone don't bear thinking about, especially in this day and age.

The only one of those points I have any time for is number 4. Aside from that costs can be cut, morals ate irrelevant seeing as by committing those acts he has quite frankly surrendered his human rights, and actually, all child sex offenders and murderers in general do deserve that fate. Morality for those who have none? Not for me.
  • Vespertine likes this

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.
  • He's not an eggplant.

• 15,612 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 16,465 rep

The only one of those points I have any time for is number 4. Aside from that costs can be cut, morals ate irrelevant seeing as by committing those acts he has quite frankly surrendered his human rights, and actually, all child sex offenders and murderers in general do deserve that fate. Morality for those who have none? Not for me.

Fair enough. I don't know about costs being cut, though. When you take into account the costs of trials and hearings, appeals, incarceration and the payment of everyone involved the costs can spiral into hundreds of thousands of pounds. As for morals, I can see where you're coming from, but just because his morals are non-existent does that mean ours should be?

• Rosie May and Comrade like this

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• 10,662 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,456 rep

You can't surrender your human rights. As long as you are human you have rights. It's one of the few things that humanity has done right in recent years. Anyone who does something as evil as this deserves to be punished, obviously, but if you kill someone what makes you any better? It's a dangerous path to go down for sex offenders. Some sex offences are far worse than others, at what point do they deserve to live or die? 

• The Disappearing Boy, DTH and Not Anyone. like this

Comrade

Comrade
  • Razzamataz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,928 posts
  • Joined Aug 31, 2008
  • 5,709 rep

You can't surrender your human rights. As long as you are human you have rights. It's one of the few things that humanity has done right in recent years. Anyone who does something as evil as this deserves to be punished, obviously, but if you kill someone what makes you any better? It's a dangerous path to go down for sex offenders. Some sex offences are far worse than others, at what point do they deserve to live or die?

No. To me, if you so deeply transgress upon someone else's rights, you lose your right to them. People like Watkins forfeit their humanity. They aren't worthy of the title. Being better or not is irrelevant. Keeping such deeply immoral people alive is hardly moral. Being better - clinging to a meaningless notion. Of course, treat such things on a case by case basis, but allowing people like Ian Watkins to live in anything other than the agony they caused would be a great failiure of society.

Fair enough. I don't know about costs being cut, though. When you take into account the costs of trials and hearings, appeals, incarceration and the payment of everyone involved the costs can spiral into hundreds of thousands of pounds. As for morals, I can see where you're coming from, but just because his morals are non-existent does that mean ours should be?

Not so much non existent as waived.
  • Dai., Floyd Pinkerton, Vespertine and 1 other like this

Stacie Anne

Stacie Anne
  • 12,608 posts
  • Joined Jun 21, 2006
  • 7,208 rep

gotta agree with Tom on this one, he's a disgusting excuse of a human being and in my eyes, doesn't deserve the right to be alive. he lost that right long ago. kill him now, to save anyone from ever having to go through the hell of what he did if he ever gets out.

• Floyd Pinkerton and OhTheGuilt. like this

A song for the lovers

A song for the lovers
  • shut up, Merlin

• 22,328 posts
  • Joined Jul 11, 2007
  • 5,034 rep

I wonder what his family say about it... poor family 

johndorkian

johndorkian
  • fighter of the nightman

• 15,932 posts
  • Joined Dec 31, 2006
  • 3,995 rep

But I'd rather he rots in jail and has a long, long time to suffer with the guilt of what he's done.

this is, of course, assuming that sex offenders feel guilt over their actions. quite a few of them don't, which would render keeping them alive to ~suffer guilt~ essentially pointless.
gotta say i'm with tom on this one. kill the sick son of a bitch.

• Floyd Pinkerton likes this

Advertising

Backyard Skulls

Backyard Skulls
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,295 posts
  • Joined Apr 30, 2009
  • 1,075 rep
Disgusting. There are no words. I used to like them but not now.
Apparently hmv have stopped stocking the physical releases of all their albums.
  • Stacie Anne likes this

Floyd Pinkerton

Floyd Pinkerton

• 18,898 posts
  • Joined Jun 08, 2009
  • 2,894 rep

I'm sorry but honestly after being through what I've been through, regardless of the "level" or what have you of the offense (in terms of sexual assault/rape/molestation/etc) you commit, if you do that to anyone I no longer have any ounce of sympathy for you whatsoever and I wish the absolute worst on you. Same goes for people who murder or torture people.

• Stacie Anne likes this

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.
  • He's not an eggplant.

• 15,612 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 16,465 rep

this is, of course, assuming that sex offenders feel guilt over their actions. quite a few of them don't, which would render keeping them alive to ~suffer guilt~ essentially pointless.

That's a good point. But even if he doesn't feel guilt, at least he'd be as miserable as fuck.

It's not like I'm against him being killed or whatever, just not by capital punishment. If he was murdered or whatever then I wouldn't complain.

The Disappearing Boy

The Disappearing Boy
  • Dissappearingness Nickness

• 16,035 posts
  • Joined Jan 02, 2007
  • 3,533 rep

I wonder what his family say about it... poor family 

This is one of the reasons why I'm against the death penalty in this case and others. I don't know if he has kids, but lets assume someone sentenced to death has a couple of young children. Does the State have the right to deny those children the right to know their father or mother? No. Sure, the children might grow up and hate and disown their parent as much as the rest of society, but they still have the right to make that choice.

• Not Anyone. likes this

Rosie May

Rosie May
  • Positively Pessimistic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,351 posts
  • Joined Mar 30, 2007
  • 1,371 rep

It's not like I'm against him being killed or whatever, just not by capital punishment. If he was murdered or whatever then I wouldn't complain.

I agree with you on this on. I don't care about the rights of Ian Watkins, because as far as I'm concerned he doesn't really deserve any, and I don't blame anyone who wants to see him dead, I think that's a perfectly understandable reaction. But I don't agree with capital punishment full stop, I don't think there should be a system that has control over life or death, even in cases like this. 

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.
  • He's not an eggplant.

• 15,612 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 16,465 rep

I agree with you on this on. I don't care about the rights of Ian Watkins, because as far as I'm concerned he doesn't really deserve any, and I don't blame anyone who wants to see him dead, I think that's a perfectly understandable reaction. But I don't agree with capital punishment full stop, I don't think there should be a system that has control over life or death, even in cases like this. 

Exactly! That's precisely how I feel about the whole thing, but put far more eloquently. 

Sure, kill criminals if they really deserve it, that's fine. But there's nothing that could justify capital punishment to me. 

• Rosie May likes this

A song for the lovers

A song for the lovers
  • shut up, Merlin

• 22,328 posts
  • Joined Jul 11, 2007
  • 5,034 rep

This is one of the reasons why I'm against the death penalty in this case and others. I don't know if he has kids, but lets assume someone sentenced to death has a couple of young children. Does the State have the right to deny those children the right to know their father or mother? No. Sure, the children might grow up and hate and disown their parent as much as the rest of society, but they still have the right to make that choice.

I'm against death also. he just need to be in jail... for long long time.

Supa Hot Fire

Supa Hot Fire
  • Supa Hot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,353 posts
  • Joined Sep 04, 2009
  • 2,502 rep

POPULAR

Earlier this week, we learned that the allegations of child sexual abuse against Ian were true, and that he would not be contesting them in court. Until then, we found them extremely difficult to believe and had hoped it was all a mistake. Sadly, the true extent of his appalling behaviour is now impossible to deny.

Many of you understandably want to know if we knew what Ian was doing. To be clear: We did not. We knew that Ian was a difficult character. Our personal relationships with him had deteriorated in recent years to a point that working together was a constant, miserable challenge. But despite his battles with drugs, his egotistic behaviour, and the resulting fractures and frustrations within our band, we never imagined him capable of behaviour of the type he has now admitted. 

We are heartbroken, angry, and disgusted at what has been revealed. This is something that will haunt us for the rest of our lives. Being in a band has always been a labour of love and a platform to inspire people, not to take advantage of them. It's still hard to believe this is happening and that someone we were once so close to has destroyed so many lives, lying every step of the way. 
Our hearts go out to Ian's family, the fans and friends he betrayed, and most importantly, the victims of his crimes and others like them. We hope for justice, but also that Ian will truly take responsibility for what he's done. We would urge any other victims to contact the authorities. 

Jamie, Lee, Luke, Mike and Stu

• Billie Hoe is my hero, The Disappearing Boy, Kayfabe and 4 others like this

Billie Hoe is my hero

Billie Hoe is my hero
  • ♥ Jimmy Sullivan ♥

• 19,029 posts
  • Joined Jun 14, 2005
  • 968 rep

^

Glad they said something. I think that many people, me included have wondered what they think about all of this. 

I am completely horrified and disgusted. Can't enjoy their music anymore. 

Todd

Todd

• 12,985 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 5,892 rep
What I want to know is what the band decides to do next...

Andrew

Andrew
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  • Joined Feb 02, 2013
  • 2,118 rep

What I want to know is what the band decides to do next...

It's been said about 12 times already that they split up :P

• Todd likes this

Not Anyone.

Not Anyone.
  • He's not an eggplant.

• 15,612 posts
  • Joined Aug 19, 2013
  • 16,465 rep

It's been said about 12 times already that they split up :P

I'm thinking (hoping?!) Tman meant the rest of the band as individuals rather than as Lostprophets. Wouldn't surprise me if they found a new singer and carried on under a different name.

desertrose

desertrose
  • Best Thing In Town

• 9,332 posts
  • Joined Mar 11, 2011
  • 11,276 rep
Lostprophets' Ian Watkins sentenced to 35 years over child sex offences

http://www.bbc.co.uk...-wales-25412675

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users