Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Die Ärzte

• Please log in to reply
448 replies to this topic

InvaderPhantom

InvaderPhantom
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2011
  • 414 rep
Yeah it's true that a lot of Ärzte just work because of the lyrics. They're so ironic and they always tell real stories. In my opinion Die Toten Hosen lyrics are pretty vague, so they're not as important. But I don't think there's a single Ärzte song that is about nothing. It's always some kind of story and not a single Ärzte song is the same.

But I could imagine that a non-German speaker would be like WTF if they listened to songs like "Wenn es Abend wird", "Saufen" or "Rock'n'Roll Übermensch" because they wouldn't see the irony behind these songs :D
But it'a a shame because they miss out. I don't know a single American band that is like Die Ärzte with so many imaginative and unique songs. There's no band quite like them and it will be a sad day when they break up one day :(

There are rumors that they will break up this year after their ärztivals. Okay there are rumors like that every year, but this time even I have doubts. I mean they're 50... :/

JuliaX_Ray2020

JuliaX_Ray2020
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts
  • Joined Sep 01, 2010
  • 288 rep

they are so funny at concerts!

Ärtzte! waldspaziergang mit folgen, kaperfahrt  und unrockbar sind meine favoriten :D

Elena

Elena
  • -Custom Title-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,974 posts
  • Joined Aug 12, 2011
  • 1,045 rep

Yeah it's true that a lot of Ärzte just work because of the lyrics. They're so ironic and they always tell real stories. In my opinion Die Toten Hosen lyrics are pretty vague, so they're not as important. But I don't think there's a single Ärzte song that is about nothing. It's always some kind of story and not a single Ärzte song is the same.

But I could imagine that a non-German speaker would be like WTF if they listened to songs like "Wenn es Abend wird", "Saufen" or "Rock'n'Roll Übermensch" because they wouldn't see the irony behind these songs :D
But it'a a shame because they miss out. I don't know a single American band that is like Die Ärzte with so many imaginative and unique songs. There's no band quite like them and it will be a sad day when they break up one day :(

There are rumors that they will break up this year after their ärztivals. Okay there are rumors like that every year, but this time even I have doubts. I mean they're 50... :/

yeah totally agree with that;)

aw god, i just hope they don't break up, there's really no band that is like them and it would be very sad if they broke up (also cos i've never seen them live cos i only got more into them recently, so i wanna at least see them live once before they break up...before my life is not complete :P )

idk...i don't really believe the rumors...i never believe any rumors and if it's really true this time, we'll see it soon enough...but i don't wanna think about that now:/

Nemo.

Nemo.
  • All but conform, still wandering on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,067 posts
  • Joined Jul 08, 2011
  • 1,829 rep

what i really like is that die ärzte are such an awesome live band. Would be really fun to see them live

It's true what you say but I like DTH more because their music is harder but the lyrics of DÄ are so funny :D

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,471 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,355 rep

I know about them through my German teacher back in my school days. She is from Hannover and introduced us to a lot of German bands, some good, some bad! They included Die Arzte, Fantastichen Vier, Herbert Gronemeyer, Die Prinzen, Sportfruende Stiller, Jan Delay usw. Excuse the grammar errors, I use an English keyboard!

We would get homework that included listening to a song and attempting to translate it's literal words and meaning. Next day we would see how right or wrong we were and discuss it together. Really enjoyed it!

Elena

Elena
  • -Custom Title-

• 3,974 posts
  • Joined Aug 12, 2011
  • 1,045 rep

POPULAR

what i really like is that die ärzte are such an awesome live band. Would be really fun to see them live

yeah me too...they're even awesome when they play a song completely wrong, cos they make a lot of fun out of it:

:D

• Anja, Samoco, November's Storms and 2 others like this

TheOnesHeDidntGetAwayWith

• Dominated Love Slave

• 2,335 posts
  • Joined Jan 25, 2012
  • 1,170 rep

yeah me too...they're even awesome when they play a song completely wrong, cos they make a lot of fun out of it:

http://www.youtu.com...h?v=YMOuy1H_qM4

:D

They are so funny. :lol:
I couldn't believe they were playing 3 and a half hours :woot: and they were so good and the show was just.. really really cool. :happy:

Elena

Elena
  • -Custom Title-

• 3,974 posts
  • Joined Aug 12, 2011
  • 1,045 rep

They are so funny. :lol:
I couldn't believe they were playing 3 and a half hours :woot: and they were so good and the show was just.. really really cool. :happy:

you've seen them live? aw god, i'm so jealous :o :D

• Dominated Love Slave

• 2,335 posts
  • Joined Jan 25, 2012
  • 1,170 rep

you've seen them live? aw god, i'm so jealous :o :D

Yeah, even though I'm not their biggest fan I've got to see them because a good friend of mine had a ticket left (seats though, but it was still awesome). It was kind of like ''hey, wanna come over and go to the concert later in the afternoon? I'll give you the ticket for free.'' - ''Sure!'' :lol:
I really didn't expect them to be THAT great, seriously. :D

But I'm sure you'll get the chance to see them someday, too. :)

Elena

Elena
  • -Custom Title-

• 3,974 posts
  • Joined Aug 12, 2011
  • 1,045 rep

Yeah, even though I'm not their biggest fan I've got to see them because a good friend of mine had a ticket left (seats though, but it was still awesome). It was kind of like ''hey, wanna come over and go to the concert later in the afternoon? I'll give you the ticket for free.'' - ''Sure!'' :lol:
I really didn't expect them to be THAT great, seriously. :D

But I'm sure you'll get the chance to see them someday, too. :)

awesome :o 

well, i hope so :D ..they really seem like an amazing live band and their songs are also just amazing (though i just recently got into them, so i don't know that many songs by them :D )...though as my friends are also Ärzte fans, the chances aren't even bad that we'll go to a concert somewhen :happy:

WalkingContradictionPL

WalkingContradictionPL
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts
  • Joined Aug 20, 2010
  • 1,121 rep

I'm taking into consideration going to thier gig. Is it worth? I know about 10 or 15 thier songs, so...

Samoco

Samoco
  • Little One

• PipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Joined Jul 28, 2009
  • 60 rep

Last year I went to their concert in Mannheim spontaneously. I knew just the newer songs (after the concert I bought some of their older albums). But I think it depends on how good your German is because they're talking a lot funny and silly and stupid things between the songs. Even though I don't count them to my favorite bands it was one of the best concerts I ever went to, so I would recommend you to go to the concert.

InvaderPhantom

InvaderPhantom
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2011
  • 414 rep

I'm taking into consideration going to thier gig. Is it worth? I know about 10 or 15 thier songs, so...

Die Ärzte are one of the best live acts I've seen, I think you should go, their concerts are always a blast with a lot of crowd interaction, improvisation etc. But they play about 40 songs every night for over three hours, so I recommend you should listen to some more Ärzte songs before you go. :P

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• 10,471 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,355 rep

I was at a concert for some Spanish group and I had no idea what they were saying, but they had a great live atmosphere and I really enjoyed it. It's not all about knowing the songs! From what people have told me and the videos I've seen it definitely sounds like a concert worth attending.

WalkingContradictionPL

WalkingContradictionPL
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts
  • Joined Aug 20, 2010
  • 1,121 rep

I was at a concert for some Spanish group and I had no idea what they were saying, but they had a great live atmosphere and I really enjoyed it. It's not all about knowing the songs! From what people have told me and the videos I've seen it definitely sounds like a concert worth attending.

It's not the matter of language, I've been learning German for 13 years.

Thanks guys, I think I will go. Tickets are relatively cheap and the gig is after my exams.

Advertising

WalkingContradictionPL

WalkingContradictionPL
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts
  • Joined Aug 20, 2010
  • 1,121 rep

I finally decided to see them last month. It was worth. 2 and half an hour of great music. I knew most of the songs and had great time and heard my favorite Schunder-Song. I was a bit surprised that so many Germans came to Poland to see Die Arzte. At the beginning Farin asked us if they should have talk to us in English or in German. Well, I was neutral, but some people, mostly Poles, prefered English. Finally, Bela was talking in German and Farin translated it into English. In some moments I didn't know who I should listen to as I understood both, but there were some funny situation. Bela said that Rod was smart dressed and then Farin said that Rod was... naked :lol:

I'm glad I saw them and I hope I will have an opportuninty to see them again. And the second time I will know all the songs. I'm acquainting now myself with their discography :)

• Samoco likes this

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• 10,471 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,355 rep

It's been too long! I was on Duolingo learning German and got bored of typing "the woman drinks coffee" and shit like that, now I've got the music playing loud! Currently listening to "Ein Lied uber Zensur" :)

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• 10,471 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,355 rep

I forgot how awesome Geschwisterliebe is! I have a live version where it's only the crowd singing. Knowing the song meaning it's so funny to hear them singing so enthusiastically! 

• Dr. Queen Schultz and Ana. like this

Ana.

Ana.
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Joined Jan 18, 2012
  • 355 rep

oh my god it's been such a long time since I've properly listened to them, but like 2 years ago I lost all of their music and getting shit back is really tedious. Their newest stuff didn't really impress me that much tbh.

Dr. Queen Schultz

Dr. Queen Schultz
  • jane became insane

• 16,335 posts
  • Joined Jul 27, 2008
  • 4,414 rep

Oh wow thanks Ste for pushing this thread back to life!

I still love them massively and totally forgot, that here is a place to talk about them!

I really love their happy-go-lucky songs like Zu Spät or Paul, der Bademeister!

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• 10,471 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,355 rep

My only problem is that they have so many songs. I tend to just listen to the ones I know (which is about 20 of them) and skip the rest. I know I'm probably missing some great songs but it's an intimidating back catalogue.

InvaderPhantom

InvaderPhantom
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Joined May 14, 2011
  • 414 rep

My only problem is that they have so many songs. I tend to just listen to the ones I know (which is about 20 of them) and skip the rest. I know I'm probably missing some great songs but it's an intimidating back catalogue.

That's true, they really do have a huge back catalog so it might be hard for beginners to get into them. I guess I'm pretty lucky because I grew up with them, so going through all their albums came "naturally" and didn't feel like a chore or anything. They have so many songs that I still keep discovering new material, even though I've listened to them my whole life. I can give you some advice to get into their catalogue more easily though.

You can basically skip the 80s studio albums. There are a lot of great songs, but they had a really different sound and the albums have a horrible dated production imo. If you want to know their 80s stuff, get their live album "Nach uns die Sintflut", it covers all of their 80s stuff but the songs sound way better because they're played faster and just have a more "punk" sound to them. It also has a lot of hilarious stage banter on it.

Their 90s material is their best stuff in my opinion. You should listen to "13" and "Planet Punk" all the way through, nearly every song is awesome and those albums are pretty much their most celebrated ones.

I think to truly learn to love the band you just need to listen to their live material. They have a lot of live albums and dvds and I think they're a great display of the different personalities of the band members. I think the personalities of Bela, Farin and Rod are half the fun of their music! I can also recommend their MTV Unplugged album, it's hilarious.

Which songs do you already know? Do you have any full albums?  :)

• Dr. Queen Schultz and November's Storms like this

Dr. Queen Schultz

Dr. Queen Schultz
  • jane became insane

• 16,335 posts
  • Joined Jul 27, 2008
  • 4,414 rep

Ste, tell me which songs you know and keep listening to and I can tel you what songs you should add to that list or which ones you are missing out on in my opinon. :lol:

Also I can agree with InvaderPhantom about Planet Punk and 13...though another top album imo is "Die Bestie in Menschengestalt" and definitely Geräusch too!

Iva

Iva
  • ^^^ Google these two guys.

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,413 posts
  • Joined May 22, 2013
  • 3,094 rep

Planet Punk was the first of their albums I knew of, and the concept album that followed. So long ago, whoa...

Can't point just one album as an absolute favourite, but when it comes to songs Schrei nach Liebe is probably their best work. Adore it.

• November's Storms likes this

November's Storms

November's Storms
  • Welcome to Paradise

• 10,471 posts
  • Joined Feb 09, 2010
  • 4,355 rep

Which songs do you already know? Do you have any full albums?  :)

Thanks for the details. My fav album is probably Die Bestie in Menschengestalt, contains a lot of great songs that are well produced. I also have listened to Nach Uns on many occassions. I don't understand most of the onstage banter (a lot of it seems very quick and using lots of casual vocabulary) but I enjoy it all the same! Especially Westerland and the Zu Spaet medley :D

As for a list of songs, here we go. Schrei Nach Liebe, Zu Spaet, Westerland, Ich Bin Reich, Wie Es Geht, 3 Tage Bart, Meim Baby War Beim Frisor, Manchmal Haben Freuen, Ohne Dich, Geschwisterliebe ( ;) ) , Teenagerliebe, Mit Dem Schwerz, Ein Lied fur Dich, Fur Uns, Ein Lied Uber Zensur, Sweet Sweet Gwendoline and Mach Die Augen Zu. That's all I can think of now! Sorry about the spelling.

Can't point just one album as an absolute favourite, but when it comes to songs Schrei nach Liebe is probably their best work. Adore it.

Ja! Genau! It was the first song of theirs I ever heard and learned. Got to love the video too. :) And there are some great live performances of it! 

Iva

Iva

• 5,413 posts
  • Joined May 22, 2013
  • 3,094 rep

Speaking of videos, can you actually sit through Manchmal Haben Frauen? It's...ugh, the first time I saw it, back when it was in regular rotation, I felt sick. 

Dr. Queen Schultz

Dr. Queen Schultz
  • jane became insane

• 16,335 posts
  • Joined Jul 27, 2008
  • 4,414 rep

Speaking of videos, can you actually sit through Manchmal Haben Frauen? It's...ugh, the first time I saw it, back when it was in regular rotation, I felt sick. 

I have had my problems with it before :lol:

Iva

Iva

• 5,413 posts
  • Joined May 22, 2013
  • 3,094 rep

I'm relieved, I almost thought I'd click here and find out that it's your fantasy. :o

:P

A song for the lovers

A song for the lovers
  • shut up, Merlin

• 22,290 posts
  • Joined Jul 11, 2007
  • 4,989 rep

finially I found the song I search for ages!! it's Schrei nach Liebe! I love their version and Die Toten Hosen feat. Nena cover... 

• November's Storms likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users