are Green Day oldies back?

longview timer

To hype up American Idiot back in the summer for 2004, my radio station used to play all the obscure songs from Nimrod and Insomniac.

Nowadays, on a semi-regular basis I hear Waiting, Warning, She, When I Come Around, Longview, Basket Case, Nice Guys Finish Last (Suprisingly), Hitchin' a Ride, Good Riddance, and believe it or not, Poprocks and Coke and Maria.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

first: gd songs arent oldies

ok.. and in the radios i listen to there arent old gd songs.. :(

i havnt heard any old green day songs on the radio :( but then again i never listen to the radio much :/

It's kinda funny here where I live... They basicly only play older Green Day songs... and I agree with Jake, they aren't old enough to have oldies lol! But of course they do have older songs. :happy: On the station I listen to the most played Green Day songs are Welcome to Paradise, Longview, Basket Case, and When I come Around. Sometimes they'll play She or Brain Stew, but not often. And the only thing they play from American Idiot is Holiday. They used to play Boulevard of Broken Dreams when the song first hit it big, but I haven't heard it for months. Now on the shitty buble gum pop radio stations here, the only Green Day song they ever play is Wake Me Up When September Ends.... but that's a different story.

ecactly, they managed to turn something with so muc sentimental value, and not to mention musical, into a teenine craze stuck-in -your head ordeal. (at least for their gullable listeners) Have you noticed BOBD and WMUWSE on kids bop!

"oldies" reffering to our media now, moving on to the next big thing every fricken week, Theyre considered "oldies", now I beg to differ but I still think its great Green Day brought these said "oldies" back

I never listen to the radio since it sucks... so I wouldn't know.

Guest Quietus

The only pre-AI song I've heard on the radio is Good Riddance, and that's Nimrod...so I wouldn't exactly consider it an 'oldie'. Plus, it's only played because it's such a hit. But I haven't listened to the radio in a while, so I wouldn't know. I would love to hear Going to Pasa or When I Come Around on the radio.

my sister said that she heard Good Riddance on the our shitty ass radio station that plays only the popular music... thats probably the only reason they play GD... but the station still sucks ass..

Hehe.. seeing the word oldies here made me think. When I'm older, and have kids, i'll be listening to Green Day, and my kid's will have no clue who they are. Just like I have no clue what my parents listen to :D coooooool Green Day are going to be real oldies in like twenty years!

I dont know if I am the only one here from Saceramento California but, 98.5 (98 Rock) Plays old green day allllllll the time... Hey Like right now theyre playing GSB. 98.5 is the best radio station so if any of you decide to come and live with me, we'll listen to it. But 98.5 almost never ever ever plays any of AI except maybe JOS (and the play alllll of it becuase the are so badass). But that is it.

There's something special about hearing a Green Day song on the radio. It's not the same. I've heard some old GD songs on the radio aswell. It's a music craze sweeping DJs and radio stations all over the country? What has gotten into them? Is putting Wake Me Up When September Ends in 24 hour rotation not enough? Ok, now I'm just being sarcastic. I heard Minority on my way to school the other day and I stayed in the car until the song ended.

• 5 weeks later...

I always hear older Green Day songs on the radio now everytime i turn to a certain station i hear minority or when I come around. It's kinda good that their putting some of teh older stuff on the radio it brings more attention back to their older material.

I heard J.A.R. on the radio the other day, that's like seeing a penguin hanging out by a pool in Miami.

Hahahahaha...Very nice analogy! :thumbsup:

I've heard Welcome to Paradise, When I Come Around, and Time of your life on our local crappy pop station. The oddest thing I ever heard was at the mall. I was walking past Aero or A and E or one of those stores, and they were playing Outsider.

Before AI i never heard Green Day on the radio.

Sometimes late at night they play Good Riddance...but mostly it's just stuff from AI. WMUWSE and BOBD.

I heard

-Hitchin a ride

-when i come around

-basket case

-american idiot

- Good Riddance

-minority

-Welcome to Paradise

-Longview

-BOD

-Hoilday

At my local radio station, I luv that radio station

They dont play shitty stuff

93 Rock owns :cool:

i heard good riddence on 101.3(our pop statoin) just a little while ago. but thats not /that/ old, and was pretty big. i heard 'she' on there a few months ago though. thats it tho.

Before AI i never heard Green Day on the radio.

Sometimes late at night they play Good Riddance...but mostly it's just stuff from AI. WMUWSE and BOBD.

they like st jimmy quite a bit on dain bramage.(awsome online alt. statoin) B)

I've never heard a green day song on the radio before here. :(

But at a party, where I knew the DJ, I made him play Dookie :P

the first place i heard gd was on the radio, and ur right they need to play more but in the past week ive heard hitchin' a ride and longview

^ they played hitchin a ride before the big announcement on monday lol

Although the succes of American Idiot sought out the over-playing of a couple of hits, Ive also noticed something else, the return of our beloved Green Day oldies. Even stations like the media driven kiss 95.1 have brought back the good old Green Day years. I mean before American Idiot how many times can you say you heard a song like Geek Sting Breath, for example on a mostly pop, r&B statinion? Maybe its the profit hat Green Day brings, the propoganda. Or maybe its this new taken outlook, that has formed this era, was Green Day such a muse as in to do so? Well, at least not for most. Its the over advertised succes of the album that brought back the classics, while their taking a break. Why not over sell and make as much money form Green Day, now that they brought new age fans, cold cash, and are at thier peak of their career? A wise man said that music today needs a kick in the ass, and now its getting it.

Yes, I've noticed it. There is a hard rock station here that only played Brainstew before AI and now they play a lot of their older stuff.

Archived