Another dig at Green Day / Green Day & Buzzcocks

Parley

DIGGLE URGES GREEN DAY TO BE ORIGINAL

BUZZCOCKS guitarist STEVE DIGGLE is concerned bands including GREEN DAY fail to see the true point of punk - which is rejecting the past and creating something new.

The EVER FALLEN IN LOVE? rocker is flattered the American rockers cite him and his contemporaries THE CLASH and the SEX PISTOLS as an influence.

But he'd prefer it if they acted like real punks and stopped trying to "ape" their heroes.

He says, "They're alright. They're nice guys, and I think it's a compliment they are inspired by us.

"But they are a watered down version of the original.

"The Buzzcocks, the Pistols and The Clash, we all developed something of our own instead of apeing people from before."

24/02/2006 17:26 contactmusic.com

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not another one. I wonder what pride people get out of putting down one of the greatest bands in the world? It seriously annoys me that people see Green Day this way... and what does he mean by 'ape'? Green Day was influenced by bands like that, but I think that they developed their own style from listening to other bands.

same shit, different day from all the old punk bands. They all say they never wanted commercial success, but deep down (they would never admit it) they would have loved commercial success and are jealous. I truely believe this. They get their next 15 minutes of fame by dissing Green Day. That makes news of course and they get their names in print one more time.

Ape means mimic or copy. Personally, I don't think they "ape" anyone...lots of bands ape them, though.

You know what is funny? "Punk" is supposed to mean being different, unique, not giving a shit what others think. It's meaning is to not conform and step out of the line.

That is what GD has done. They haven't stayed the same, they've done all sorts of music and have gotten fans of every kind from doing what they want. if that's not punk, who cares? GD is a rock band. and an awesome one.

They are a watered down version of punk though... in fact, they arent punk at all.

who? green day? i don't even know much about the buzzcocks, i've heard the name but that's all.

anyway i'm sick of labels. why can't people just make music and leave it at that?

Isn't everything from the original punk watered down from what it initially was?

I honestly don't care who insults Green Day. They're not being very original with their insults by saying Green Day are unoriginal EVERY TIME.

Did that even make sense?

green day has oficially made their mark in rock and roll, weather they like it or not. they will never be forgotten for their accomplishments. they may even get bigger in the future than the clash, sex pistold, and the buzzcocks. i think that its pure jealousy(sp?). and all bands have influences! there was never someone who said "i have no clue what the fuck music is, so ill just use no prior knowlege at all and make millions of dollars!"

They are a watered down version of punk though... in fact, they arent punk at all.

I agree w/this comment, completely. When Green Day got big they were completely and totally different than anything else on the radio. I probably wouldn't have liked them if they had sounded like The Sex Pistols or The Ramones. These bands are okay but nothing I could listen to all the time. They were completely unique.

With American Idiot, Green Day has managed to transcend the "punk" label or any other kind of label with, perhaps, the exception of "rock." (Ooh...that sounds like the opening sentence to a review :lol: )

I think all these old fart punk dudes really do recognize this and their envy just can't be contained. Funny how GD's huge success has now attracted these comments. As someone already said, it's a great way for the aforementioned farts to get a teeny-weeny bit of press now that they are generally ignored by the public.

Wow....I really don't care. I don't even know who the fuck that guy is, but he sounds like a conceited jackass. And not just for insulting Green Day.

Isn't it ironic that he's dissing them for not being original, while himself mimicking John Lydon's exact opinion about Green Day?

Green Day's fans really need to let this whole punk thing go. The band is way beyond that whole silly argument now. Besides, there is really no need to pay attention to what a musical footnote has to say about the band anymore.

Well, just believe in what the band says for you, and you'll be fine, you don't have to worry about what others say, if you believe in it, nothing can really stop you from it.

Well, just believe in what the band says for you, and you'll be fine, you don't have to worry about what others say, if you believe in it, nothing can really stop you from it.

That's a good policy, and not just for the defense of one's musical tastes, but in all aspects of life. Never underestimate the power of denial. :)

Pssh. He's the one to say that they aren't doing something original.

After the sex pistols and the clash started getting attention, bands, including the buzzcocks popped out of nowhere, overnight, and jumped on the bandwagon, which makes him the original copycat.

They did fucking do something original, not many punk bands went from 3 chord punk, to acoustic ballads, then wrote a pop song.

And music is based on past influences. People don't just wake up one day and write an hour long album from nothing.

Even "punk" bands like the sex pistols, buzzcocks, the clash drew influences from david bowie, beatles (although they might not admit it), 60's garage bands and reggae, so what is he trying to prove?

I think he's flattering himself, sorta like the whole "I taught him everything he knows" shit.

But green day's largest influences far surpass punk, ie.

Bob dylan (one of their fav artists, greatly criticized for changing style),

the clash (london calling is far from what most punk bands were doing in 79', if they even lasted that long), david bowie (he's dipped his fingers into everything hasn't he) ect.

So again, all just bull shit.

Pssh. He's the one to say that they aren't doing something original.

After the sex pistols and the clash started getting attention, bands, including the buzzcocks popped out of nowhere, overnight, and jumped on the bandwagon, which makes him the original copycat.

They did fucking do something original, not many punk bands went from 3 chord punk, to acoustic ballads, then wrote a pop song.

And music is based on past influences. People don't just wake up one day and write an hour long album from nothing.

Even "punk" bands like the sex pistols, buzzcocks, the clash drew influences from david bowie, beatles (although they might not admit it), 60's garage bands and reggae, so what is he trying to prove?

I think he's flattering himself, sorta like the whole "I taught him everything he knows" shit.

But green day's largest influences far surpass punk, ie.

Bob dylan (one of their fav artists, greatly criticized for changing style),

the clash (london calling is far from what most punk bands were doing in 79', if they even lasted that long), david bowie (he's dipped his fingers into everything hasn't he) ect.

So again, all just bull shit.

Are you really 13?? Very nicely said. :thumbsup:

I read alot. I know, I'm a loser.

Addition: Yeah, I like balance, I'll read a couple of chapters, then listen to a g-unit song, just to keep in check.

It's funny because 95 percent of those of you who are commenting on this have no idea who the Buzzcocks are, or if you do its only because you've heard about them through Green Day citing them as an influence, but have no idea what there music is like or anything. Hence most of you don't even listen to the Clash or the Sex Pistols. (The other bands mentioned in the article.)

For all you know, he could be right.

It's funny because 95 percent of those of you who are commenting on this have no idea who the Buzzcocks are, or if you do its only because you've heard about them through Green Day citing them as an influence, but have no idea what there music is like or anything. Hence most of you don't even listen to the Clash or the Sex Pistols. (The other bands mentioned in the article.)

For all you know, he could be right.

Don't be so short sighted. Most of the people on this forum lean towards rock music, and all that surrounds it. It's not that hard to download (personally I prefer to buy, but convenience is key) and study past bands, google works wonders don't it. And even if you don't know who he is, he just sounds so arrogant.

Don't be so short sighted. Most of the people on this forum lean towards rock music, and all that surrounds it. It's not that hard to download (personally I prefer to buy, but convenience is key) and study past bands, google works wonders don't it. And even if you don't know who he is, he just sounds so arrogant.

I may let Zoki do all the talking for me from now on. :wink:

Archived