Green Day Community History

PurpleDay

You’ll probably close this thread but I’ll at least TRY to get an answer.

It’s clear that there is board history on here, and there is a lot I don’t understand. I look at people profiles and when they joined it is in april 05? And they have a number of 105 or something. I also want to know what the boards were like when it was the other albums that were out? GDA was running then right? Were there basically no ‘teenies?’ Was Billie-joe always the most talked about on here? What were the topics about?

What about the crash that happened. Does anyone have a screen capture of the boards from before American idiot? I want to hear from user’s under the 1,000th member.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes it has changed a lot since the membership has expanded, and yes there are a lot more younger members now.

The place is more fast moving, and the variety is a good thing in my opinion.

The board did crash and everyone had to re-register back in April last year.

I believe Andres has screencaps of the board's various incarnations over the years.

This is also the second skin for the AI era. It's similar to the old one but this one has a few more features and it's on a new server. There used to be a Spam Forum, um...there was that Reputation system thing for a while.

Well all I can say from when I've been here, this time last year it looked nowhere near as professional. Sadly I have no print screens.

:(

The forum was very slow and pretty much pure spam between 15-20 members. They are pretty much the only ones who were very active then and the forum only had a few hundred registered members. Courtney is pretty much the only person around from when it first started around 2002 I guess.

One or two people from back then are here as well, but most have left.

Here's a screenshot of the old forum before we moved onto 'Invision Power Board'.

IPB Image

That was before I was even a mod.

Back then it wasn't "Green Day Community". It was just another small part of GDA. Back then GDA used to cost at the most $20 / month and everything was on a single server. It wasn't even a server, it was a small hosting package.

The old URL to the message forum was: http://www.greendayauthority.com/cgi-bin/i...d/ikonboard.cgi

It doesn't work anymore obviously, but that was it.

I took over here right around American Idiot. People starting coming here and traffic here jumped up like crazy and even since then has more than doubled. The message forum got big enough to where we had to move it to it's own server, thats when it became The Green Day Community. Courtney and I went on a little PR stint to get more people to join GDC and it worked obviously. So now GDC has it's own dedicated server because of all the traffic here, and the forum alone now costs 7x more than what the entire site cost back then.

Though there isn't the freedom of just "oh fuck it. lets spam everything" here anymore, I think this place has successfully turned into a VERY active place for Green Day fans. Which is something I'm glad to have had a part in along with Courtney and the rest of the forum team.

I still think this place is better today because of how many people are here and how much input you can get so quickly.

Wow it was so plain and small on the first pic. I had no idea this place got huge in AI stages. nice.

That's very interesting. I've heard alot of people complain about how the fourm has changed from the good old days, (I think it was last year?), and how they do not like all the new members and what the forum has become, but it seems like a much more succesful place that it used to be.

Tyke has only been here for about a year. He's just a n00b.

I dont think he even saw the old forum.

aha :eyebrows: Andres wanted have more lovers. :lol: and he meet Tyke.

well the thing is the people who complain about the new people were new back then and just as or more annoying that the people joining now. It's an ongoing circle and I dont ever expect it to stop. In a year from now all the people joining now will be telling the n00bs "this place was so much better before all of you joined"

I've seen so many of the same kinds of people come, stay, complain, and leave over the past two years. It's the same kind of people, just different' usernames all the time.

Well I guess that as they were be put under all that attack when they first started they feel they have a right to do the same to other people too when they are older.

I've always wanted to know how you run the site with expence and stuff. I mean paying for the site and not really getting anything back apart from the donations. And getting the ipod to give away. I don't know anything about running sites.

i think that the forum has changed for the good after all like andres says everyone was a n00b sometime

Well since last April we started Advertising. The Google Ads on the side of GDA and all the stuff on the Merch Page. We get commission from all that to help us pay and maintain everything.

I got tired of asking for donations. We were getting a lot of hate mail back then about us asking for money. But that was when the site was just starting to grow and we could hardly afford it, but only a few people would donate a month. So I decided to try advertising. Obviously it's worked well.

Hate mail for asking for money to run a site that those people probably go on themselves? That's a bit harsh, isn't it?

Eh. People will take any oppurtunity they can to send hate mail.

Man i remember when I first joined the forum back then. It was the first forum I had ever been too and I was so lost and confused. I didn't know what spam was and I hardly knew how to post replies. I would hardly ever post because I didn't want to look like a dumbass in front of all those people, so I would just read and laugh at most of their racist topics.

Jared's poop stories, Lukey's ramones threads, DD's racist jew stories. lovely.

That was before my time. Is Joey hinting that I ruined it? Haha. You wouldn't be the first.

Never.

There's plenty to appreciate about this incarnation, since there's an oldie forum anyway, and I'm an admin.

Is the website a part time/full time job? Or is there a balance between a job you might have & the site aswell. Shit, that would be kind of working 24/7 :mellow:

The site and forum are my full time job. Tyke is more partime because he has school, and Courtney is partime as well because she has a very full time job.

The mods and admins here just come on a few hours a day with the exception of Amanda who pretty much takes care of most of this place the majority of the time.

Archived