Rotten: "Green Day are plonk"

Fuzz

This was posted on GDUK:

http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.ns...lonk_08_02_2006

"SEX PISTOLS frontman JOHN LYDON has lashed out at rockers GREEN DAY, accusing them of stealing the term 'punk'.

The singer - who performed as JOHNNY ROTTEN - claims the American band has reduced a political movement into a simple musical style.

He says, "Don't try and tell me Green Day are punk. They're not, they're plonk and they're bandwagoning on something they didn't come up with themselves. I think they are phony."

Referring to his band's battle with the police and censors during its heyday, Lydon adds, "The government's against you, the police are on you.

"So there we are fending off all that and it p**ses me off that years later a w**k outfit like Green Day hop in and nick all that and attach it to themselves.

"They didn't earn their wings to do that and if they were true punk they wouldn't look anything like they do." "

What do you think?

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can bet so many people are gonna come out with "Ooh, well Sex pistols weren't punk either!"

So they are making people more aware about politics and making maybe certain people open their eyes about it, who maybe otherwise wouldn't have. Which is what most punk bands strive to do...or at least sing about how fucked the government is. He's just mad that Green Day got more success than the Sex Pistols.

Sex Pistols were definatly more influential. They made more of an impact than green Day could ever.

Jealousy is eating John Lydon alive. It will probably put him in his grave. How very sad. Not really. :lol:

He can go plonk himself. I don't care what the hell he says. I like Green Day, no matter what Johnny Rotten thinks. I don't give 2 squirts of piss about The Sex Pistols.

wanna hear something i just read in an article? its on ultimate-guitar.com if you wanna see, but he said The Sex Pistols might do one last show, even though he doesnt wanna, and openly admited he needed money. what a sellout.

-----"if they were true punk they wouldn't look anything like they do."

i comepletely agree with that. they jumped on the bandwagon for how they look.

and going political.....ya, they did jump on the bandwagon, but so are thousands of other punk bands that he wouldnt diss on. hes sorta right, there is nothing dangerous about what green day is doing.

all those old punk bands are just really bitter that punk rock got huge, theyre not the first to diss green day. so have the buzzcocks, the ramones, and others.

all in all, johnny rotten can fuck off. hes an old man who does real estate, i dont think he has the authority to tell people about punk. they only made one album also, theyre extremely overrated.

I'm not really bothered. I'm a big fan of both bands. If they want to have a fued, they can.

But it annoys me how anyone (not just John Lydon, I mean anyone) will say anything they can to the press just to shit stir.

wanna hear something i just read in an article? its on ultimate-guitar.com if you wanna see, but he said The Sex Pistols might do one last show, even though he doesnt wanna, and openly admited he needed money. what a sellout.

lmao. that's hardly 'selling out'

That's a good and quick way to get money.

I do gigs when i don't want to, purely for the money sometimes. that means I've somehow sold out? hmmm

oh god...its another case of the "Is Green Day Punk" issue....this time using "plonk" instead of "punk".

these arguments are pretty stupid.

its just music.

thats all.

if you like, well thats great.

if you don't, other people probably don't really give a shit about it.

i was about to make a thread on this earlier today, but i was too chicken, i thought it would of gotten closed :(

well, I love green day and i love sex pistols and i don't give nothing for labels so...i don't care about who is punk or not, i like the song, the attitude, the story...

and i should also add that green day have said multiple times that they dont care if people see them as some really punk band or something. they said they wanna be a "punk rock and roll" band, not just a punk band.

Haha. The Sex Pistols were created by Malcolm Mclaren as a media spectacle. They were never punk in the sense of making their own way and supporting a small independent scene, or touring an putting out records on their own. Green Day did all that. They came out of a true punk scene. And sorry, but Green Day are and always will be punk, because those are their roots.

Says the man who had Malcolm Macdonald telling him everything to do in the 70s.

I think you mean Malcolm McLaren?

lmao. that's hardly 'selling out'

That's a good and quick way to get money.

I do gigs when i don't want to, purely for the money sometimes. that means I've somehow sold out? hmmm

doing it for the money defines selling out you dumbass. if you dont really care about the music, and they said they dont wanna do it but might....gimme a break.

Archived