Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Voting has started in the Karaoke Contest. Listen to the entries and vote for your favorite.

Photo

Foo Fighters

• Please log in to reply
1481 replies to this topic

Rush guy

Rush guy
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • Joined May 12, 2011
  • 100 rep

Hasn't Dave always play off My Hero and Kurt references?

I'm not entirely sure.  I've seen some interviews where he's implied that it was about Kurt but I don't think he's said it outright.   The song has a lot of meaning to it either way.  I had actually misheard the lyrics when I was younger and I thought it was a completely stupid song.  I mishear a lot of lyrics come to think of it....

Big Cheese

Big Cheese
  • Generator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,949 posts
  • Joined Nov 04, 2011
  • 1,716 rep

I'm not entirely sure.  I've seen some interviews where he's implied that it was about Kurt but I don't think he's said it outright.   The song has a lot of meaning to it either way.  I had actually misheard the lyrics when I was younger and I thought it was a completely stupid song.  I mishear a lot of lyrics come to think of it....

I remember Dave saying that it kinda is about Kurt in the sense that the song is just a tribute to everyone important in his life, so it can apply to Kurt but it's not strictly about him.

GreenRanger

GreenRanger
  • Probably Someone Else

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,090 posts
  • Joined Jun 23, 2010
  • 1,587 rep

Yeah, Dave gets annoyed when too many people think a song is a bout Kurt or Courtney or whoever.  That article that ranked the Foo Fighters songs said that "I'll Stick Around" was about Courtney Love and I'd honestly never thought about that, so I feel like in a lot of his songs it's just as easy to throw that backstory onto it as it is to not see it as all.  I never really thought "My Hero" was about Kurt either, but again, it kinda makes sense.

The only song I know that's actually kind of for sure "about" Nirvana is "I Should Have Known" because Dave talks about it in Back and Forth and how that song is kind of about moving on from that era and whatnot.  But even then Dave doesn't write lyrics that are all that direct so it could apply to a lot more.  Which is really what a good song does.

And I think my verdict on Sonic Highways is pretty much in line with everyone else's.  It's not as good as Wasting Light and kinda goes back to a more standard Foo Fighters sound which is kinda disappointing.  Like think about when Rope came out ahead of Wasting Light and it was like "Wow, this is different for them, but awesome."  I didn't get that "different" vibe from Sonic Highways.  Ever since adding Pat and knowing his influences I kinda hoped that there'd always be a "White Limo" ish type song that wasn't afraid to get punky.  And that's kinda my thing with this album.  At this point, with all the people he knows, all the people he's played with, Dave shouldn't be afraid to lose the Foo Fighters sound somewhat.  It's gonna be there no matter what, and it'd actually be cool to see the genre blending Dave does with his documentaries and other projects come through on a Foo Fighters album.  Maybe that's just me.

Big Cheese

Big Cheese
  • Generator

• 3,949 posts
  • Joined Nov 04, 2011
  • 1,716 rep

Yeah, Dave gets annoyed when too many people think a song is a bout Kurt or Courtney or whoever.  That article that ranked the Foo Fighters songs said that "I'll Stick Around" was about Courtney Love and I'd honestly never thought about that, so I feel like in a lot of his songs it's just as easy to throw that backstory onto it as it is to not see it as all.  I never really thought "My Hero" was about Kurt either, but again, it kinda makes sense.

The only song I know that's actually kind of for sure "about" Nirvana is "I Should Have Known" because Dave talks about it in Back and Forth and how that song is kind of about moving on from that era and whatnot.  But even then Dave doesn't write lyrics that are all that direct so it could apply to a lot more.  Which is really what a good song does.

And I think my verdict on Sonic Highways is pretty much in line with everyone else's.  It's not as good as Wasting Light and kinda goes back to a more standard Foo Fighters sound which is kinda disappointing.  Like think about when Rope came out ahead of Wasting Light and it was like "Wow, this is different for them, but awesome."  I didn't get that "different" vibe from Sonic Highways.  Ever since adding Pat and knowing his influences I kinda hoped that there'd always be a "White Limo" ish type song that wasn't afraid to get punky.  And that's kinda my thing with this album.  At this point, with all the people he knows, all the people he's played with, Dave shouldn't be afraid to lose the Foo Fighters sound somewhat.  It's gonna be there no matter what, and it'd actually be cool to see the genre blending Dave does with his documentaries and other projects come through on a Foo Fighters album.  Maybe that's just me.

Actually Dave did verify that "I'll Stick Around" is about Courtney.

And Sonic Highways does have "The Feast and the Famine", which is kind of a "White Limo"-ish song, at least IMO.

.Holly

.Holly
  • Make tea not war

• 3,041 posts
  • Joined Apr 01, 2009
  • 1,123 rep

I'm really loving the new album and want to get tickets to see them at Murrayfield next June! So excited!!

WeAllFloatDownHere

WeAllFloatDownHere
  • Dearly Beloved

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,822 posts
  • Joined May 16, 2010
  • 3,762 rep
Friend Of A Friend is about Kurt and Krist

Deadpool

Deadpool
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Joined Apr 30, 2013
  • 58 rep
Mega bundle got here today. So psyched!!!! Listening to the vinyl now.

desertrose

desertrose
  • Best Thing In Town

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,435 posts
  • Joined Mar 11, 2011
  • 11,411 rep
Foo Fighters announce massive North American tour

http://www.altpress....h_american_tour

ollhjr

ollhjr
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 225 posts
  • Joined Mar 28, 2011
  • 236 rep

Foo Fighters announce massive North American tour

http://www.altpress....h_american_tour

Was hoping for a Wisconsin show.  My only hope is that they have a show at Summerfest right before the tour starts.  I tried to get tickets for the show at Wrigley and did the presale and no luck.  Waited in this "waiting room" for 30+ minutes only to have no tickets available, and I was only for one ticket.  Didn't realize it the first time, but looked at Stubhub after the second day they did the presale, and say over 1,000 tickets online.  Frustrating as hell, but hopefully I will see them live next year.  It would be so cool to see them at the 20th anniversary show in Washington D.C., but it all depends where I'll be next year.  I could still be in Green Bay, but who knows, I could be living closer to where they'll play a show.  Although to end this rambling, I find it strange that they don't have a show in Austin, since they did record a song off of the new album there.  

Cath

Cath
  • stick it to the man

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,865 posts
  • Joined Nov 24, 2012
  • 4,149 rep

montreal????? no??

Big Cheese

Big Cheese
  • Generator

• 3,949 posts
  • Joined Nov 04, 2011
  • 1,716 rep

FUCK YEAH PORTLAND OREGON!!!!! Too bad I have to wait another 10 months, but it'll be totally worth it!

The Governator

The Governator
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Joined Dec 18, 2012
  • 103 rep

Got my tickets for Wichita, Kansas on September 30th 2015! Pumped. Sonic Highways is great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users