My friends Green Day blog

Fuzz

Alright lets try this again. Anyways my friend posted this blog basically saying how rubbish Green Day is for making so much money off others people emotions of the war. He's a very smart guy and the blog is written pretty well. Now i want to reply to let him know that his views of why Green Day writes are off a bit, but I want to make sure I prove my point well. So please read this over and comment on it so I can get a better idea of what to reply with.

"I like angry music... im not saying it's good music... or that everyone should listen to it. I'm just saying that i like it. it reflects a part of me that can not usually be expressed with out jail time or a restraining order. OK that settled i will remain the fact that every artist on my playlist speaks from emotion concerning personal experience and overcoming ruin. Whilst at the same remain to keep a certain edge and level of difficulty to what they play. Keeping the music changing and interesting. This is why i respect and admre these bands. That is why i go to their shows and buy their cd's ...to support the fact that they fucking rock... Ok well that is not what this is about it just offers contrast to my next subject. I was recently sitting naked eating cheese nips and watching TV when a commercial came on. (this happens alot if you've ever tried to watch TV lately) The comercial started by saying "are you ready for the debut album by the most influential rock band in history?" i responded... ok let's hear this one. There was a bang and some fireworks and what appeared spelled out in lime-light,,, "GREENDAY" .... greenday. Ah yes greenday and the hate campain against bush and modern capitolism. Not that i like bush by any means, i dont, although i do like the fact that he makes any average man feel like he could run for president. The point is the band is hypocritical. Sorry for those who get offended by the following. Greenday is a band that makes me sick to my stomache, they claim to support the downfall of capitolism and the fight against war... but what are they doing... capitolizing on the emotion that was created by that situation. I am remained of an "artist" who did the same thing and sickens me just as much... Alan Jackson and his "where were you when the world stopped turning" ... Where the fuck were you alan? writing a cd to make money from a tradgedy? While thousands of people ran to the towers and helped in the effort, and students used their book money to send to the red cross. It just angers me how people can be so selfish while they are pointing at our government saying "selfish" ok... greenday is not the most influential rock band... teenie-bubblegum pop rock maybe... but not rock and roll. Kids, you're not going to help the anti-war effort by buying that cd. People should wake up out of this style-induced comma and make an actual difference. And screaming "Fuck you" at dubbya is not what i mean... what is that going to do? im sure he's heard it before. Why dont we pay attention to our state legislatures... see where expendatures are being wasted here... to every bill there is usually and add on that covers a congressmens vacation or some other arbitrary bullshit. We needs to start at the bottom people. Let's get rid of the use it or lose it water grant in las cruces. Zero scape.... we would save millions of gallons of water every year. if you want to change how our electoral college works then run for congress. DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. throwing sticks at the guys with M1's is bullshit, the only way your gonna stop this stuff is on paper. Thats how our government is run. And stuff is slow... if you really care you can spend your entire lifetime trying to change one aspect of the government. oooo and one more thing, stop and look around. Shit aint that bad. You are getting an education if you pay attention. You dont have to walk 10 miles for water. You have insurance, health care, dental plans, cars, houses. Wake up people, we are rich every one of us. QUIT BITCHING and use the power you have. thank you and this has been a paid advertisement provided by the united coolition for the downfall of ill-educated democratic rock

p.s. ... listen to thursday they have been singing about these issues for years and it is actually music and actually poetic "

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest n1i0m3r9od

Whoa, whoa. You switched 'em up on me....

EDIT: I can kind of agree with that, also. Most people do complain about how fucked up our government is ran, yet do shit about it. Words don't make progress, actions do.

I really liked the first one you posted, though.

Guest n1i0m3r9od

Tell your friend to learn how to properly spell Green Day...

Out that WHOLE thing... that is the only thing that registered ?

I do not agree...I see his point, but I here is what I think.

Yes, they are making money off of that. But there is no way to prove that they are not supporting the effort in some way. We do not know what kind of time they spend educating, or donating funds.

Also, their public views inspired me and was sortof fodder for the fire we were burning against Bush. I mean, when A.I came out, my self and my family were heavily involved with the election...we were housing volunteers from other states and spending all of out free time at the headquarters.

anyway, we used to listen to it and get all pumped up and it made us rally...when we were tired and felt beat we put on Holiday, or American Idiot and got our energy back.

I have seen the positive influence it has had on people. At this point, in this political climate, I feel like anyone who is getting a message out there that resembles what I feel is right, well...I am glad they are doing it.

Out that WHOLE thing... that is the only thing that registered ?

I can't be bothered to read all of that, I haven't the time.

Well I don't see how he can talk about his angry music and how much it does for him without thinking about how what Green Day's music does for other people. Every person has a different mind, and different types of things make them feel better. And it's not like Green Day is carrying around a banner saying you better hate Bush! That's their point of view and people are free to speak their minds. Most songs out there express the artist opinions on lots of things if you just read the lyrics.

Everyone has an opinion on Bush. If you're a musician, you can sing about it. What's so wrong with that?

If Green Day weren't writing political music, then they wouldn't be being true to themselves. If that's what they want / need to do, let them.

Yeah I agree. Green Day isn't about writing what the people want. Just because there is this anti-war feeling across America doesn't mean Green Day was writing to them. Billie Joe wrote the music from his point of view. His feelings and emotions were written, not that of the people.

That was quite hard on the eyes...I have trouble reading huge paragraphs like that.

I'm pretty sure it's up to the artist what they want to write. Green Day have always been political, haven't they? They just haven't expressed it until they thought it needed to be. And millions of people just happened to agree with the music.

Toby Keith, The Dixie Chicks, Sum41, and a helluva lot of other artists arent' capitalizing on the war to sell records?

Well here's my reply to him

"I was told about this blog, so I figured I'd check it out for myself.

I'll agree that Green Day is not the most influential band in rock. I dont even think they are considered rock. As far as main stream goes, they are arguably the most influential band in pop-punk. But thats a different topic.

I'll also agree that going out and buying American Idiot or anything of Green Day's isn't going to stop the war. But Green Day didn't write American Idiot out of the view of the rest of society. They didn't write their anti-war/anti-bush album because they knew other people felt that way. They wrote it for the same reason they've been writing music for 17 years, they wrote it from their personal point of view. It's their emotions and feelings that are shown through their music…not anyone else's. It's not like Green Day just got political over night because they knew it would sell. Politics was a big part of the scene they grew up in.

I dont think they are capitalizing off others emotions either. They wrote their music for themselves and hoped someone would like it. They wrote what they felt was going on the world. If nothing else it's good music. Along with their music people were able to understand their message, why they wrote what they wrote and where they are coming from.

Green Day has never written music for people. They write for themselves. Just because a vast majority of people can go along with what they stand for and agree with their message through their lyrics, doesn’t mean that Green Day is using others emotions to sell their material. It’s the other way around.

Other than that, I agree with everything else you said."

The only reason why green day is making money off of somthing the truly believe in their hearts is right is because people accept it. The public chooses to buy their cd's and support this band. If you don't believe in freedom of speech (which is what green day is presenting), then fuck off. They have every right to preech about how much they think the system is fucked up, and people who disagree don't have to suport them.

For you to say it's hypocritical that they are making money off of this product is moronic. The public is the source that controls the amount of money that this, or any other band gets. If people didn't feel strongly about it, green day wouldn't have played sdadium shows, or made millions off of american idiot.

Like people said before, green day isn't forcong you to believe what they believe, they are simply putting their views out their, and people like it, people buy it and people embrace it.

P.S. Green Day is in the top 3 most influential bands from 1990 to now, right there with nirvana and pearl jam.

And p.s.s

If a rapper can make money rapping about how much money he has, or how many women he can insert his penis in, then green day are being godsends for being pretty much the only mainstream artist that is singing and writing about something that is worthwhile, and will make a difference.

Toby Keith, The Dixie Chicks, Sum41, and a helluva lot of other artists arent' capitalizing on the war to sell records?

That is another thing that pisses me the hell off. People act like green day is the only band/and/or artist that is anti-war and anti-bush. Like get your fucking facts straight.

i kinda agree with that.... but green day do bitch about the war and everything all the time and then people say how anti war their cd is. don't only two songs have to do with being anti-war? holiday n american idiot? whats the big deal? and i don't think green day could do anything to change the world... unless they really tried.

Just another rant, I dont see anything different from this one from the hundreds of other rants ive heard lately.

p.s.- i think thursday is better too :wink:

Guest RhetoricalGrasshopper

Comparing Alan Jackson to Greenday.... HARSH!

I think that the Alan Jackson song is just trying to capitalize on a bad thing. And I think that yes, Green Day could probably be a lot more active in fighting the war if that's truly how they feel. They could protest, participate in rallys, or encourage their fans to take a stand. But they don't.

But I think the main point is that I don't look to Green Day for political guidance. I have my own opinions, even though they do match those of the band members.

And I haven't thought about this a ton, but I don't think that Green Day is trying to "capitalize" on the war- they're just writing songs about how they feel. We can't guess at their motives and we shouldn't try.

Yeah thats a good point. Green Day isn't going to tell people what to think. They leave it open-ended so people can make their own judgment.

he comercial started by saying "are you ready for the debut album by the most influential rock band in history?" i responded... ok let's hear this one. There was a bang and some fireworks and what appeared spelled out in lime-light,,, "GREENDAY" .... greenday.

Wait wait wait....WHAT? Who.....what...WHY?!

WHAT?!

Guest Immortality

I would add that the band was even thinking the CD might be a flop, so they certainly didn't go into it saying, "Hey, we're sure to be rich after this!"

Archived