My friends Green Day blog

Fuzz

gd is capitalizing on the war?

and in the '60s no one capitalized on that war? dylan, et al.

the point of art is to make a statement. i'd rather hear the rage in this music than the maudlin "my country right or wrong" present in mainstream pablum. i hear change in this music, i hear energy, i hear an amazing grasp of the bullshit the media feeds us all. not bad...not bad at all...in fact, amazingly astute! there's hope for the future leaders of the world...now, we just need to let them lead!

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I must add a small bit to this conversation...

American Idiot was a CD. It was music. And music is a form of art, for expression. Green Day wrote and recorded it without knowing how it'd sell, and I'm sure it was just a pleasent surprise that they became so big and got so many more fans.

People shouldn't be wasting their energy writing about how a music group is capitalizing over war. Who started this war? Who brought up all the questions asked and all the feelings that come with war?

People need to lay off GD, and all other good performers who just want to express themselves. Sheesh.

Green Day are not capitalizing on the war, they are doing their jobs as artists by commenting on it, and what they see as wrong.

Is this guy suggesting that it would have been more moral of them, as Americans affected like all their compatriots by 9/11 and the ensuing 'war against terror' being waged in their name, to have brought out an album that completely ignored all that?

Apart from their duty as artists, they each have children growing up in this climate, and the same right as any other parent to speak out against stuff that affects the world those children will one day inherit.

Whenever an artist shines a spotlight on some issue, there is always someone ready to pour scorn on them and say they have no right to their opinion and its expression. I think it's some kind of veiled disgust by those who think that being an artist is not having a 'real job' that deserves any kind of respect. People involved in Live Aid came up against the same kind of crap, also for shining a light on issues and inactivity that many administrations would prefer to be kept dark.

At the end of the day, it is always invalid to attack the person making the argument rather than address what they have to say. When I hear someone say 'what right do Green Day have to say that?', I know they're just rankled that the question was asked in the first place - if they were really committed to the issue, they'd be grateful for the massive publicity artists like Green Day bring to it.

your friend did have a couple of points in there.

society bases everything around looks and stuff.

also, that if you like something just because its "cool" or "in", your just hurting yourself.

Extremely mature of you.

:eyebrows:

i love that album, like every green day album i have

is someone thinks that album is shit i fuck off that people :down:

Archived