Did Green Day change your musical taste?

Fuzz

I didnt listen to music so much. Everybody liked th epopular stuff, so i tried to listen to it and downloaded the songs from the charts, but nothing fit me.

I just didnt enjoy listening to it.

Then I came to the music I've grown up to - the bands my father listened to like Led Zeppelin, the beatles, AC/DC, Rolling stones. And I listened to a lot of Indie music too.

And then my good discovered Green Day and always talked about them - it was very annoying and I started to dislike them for no reason.

I gave them a chance and fell in love with them, then I started to look for more bands and I discovered music - it started to mean so much to me. I never felt like this before.

So, yes Green day have changed me and my music taste a lot. Thank God!

Music was a side thing to me back then. Everybody was like "oh my gosh, i luv music!!!" and I was like: yeah..cool...

Green Day really got me into music. I also noticed that most of the radio shit has no sense and I don't need it.

Like other people have said, Green Day got me into music in general. When I first began exploring their contemporaries, I went toward the poppier stuff (I actually have a journal entry saved where I say, "I want to get some really cool punk CDs like Good Charlotte and Jimmy Eat World" :lol: ). But over the last couple years, I've found myself diving into the vast heaven that is 80s punk rock. Thanks to Green Day, I've found the Replacements, Hüsker Dü, Operation Ivy, Crimpshrine, the Clash, Bad Religion, and so my life is much happier as a result. Hell, I have my own grindcore band.

Drastically. Before, I listened to the same music as my parents (hint: it involved a lot of Johnny Cash). Afterwords I started listening to a lot more punk and now I have a much more varying taste in music.

Green Day is the band that made me like music to begin with. I tried listening to some other pop punk bands like Blink182 or Bowling For Soup, but I couldn't get into them at all. Green Day is pretty much the poppiest punk band I can listen to and like, besides Zebrahead.

Green Day also got me started with listening to punk music, which led to other genres.

Then, there would be times where I'd be watching a Green Day video on youtube and of course, I see a nasty comment from some 14 year old kid who probably wishes he was a teenager in the 1980s saying "Green Day isn't punk. They're a bunch of emo pussies. Listen to a real punk band like The Casualties". So then I'd listen to whatever hardcore punk band they listed, and the band ended up sounding like crap. Atleast I thought it was crap. The truth is, is that I just wasn't ready to listen to it.

So when I first tried listening to punk, (dead kennedys, angry samoans, Fear, etc.) I thought it was horrible. The instruments weren't in good quality, the singer was incomprehensible.. Well, I then went to a band that was a bit more melodic, NOFX. I fell in love with them. Then I tried Lagwagon, Bad Religion, Descendents. It started with Green Day, then I worked my way down to bands that were more raw. I eventually got back to the Dead Kennedys.

I was suprised to like them, infact, love them. At first I thought "if you want to get out your opinion so bad, then why are you screaming so fast that no one can understand you" but then I realised that it didn't matter. It didn't matter if the recording was some crystal-clear, hollywood production, or if the singer had been taking vocal lessons since he was a fetus. All that mattered, was that I could feel the energy and the rage when I heard the music.

Now when I hear a song, I think "does this song sound good, or does it feel good?"

Green Day has introduced me to a genre of music that reaches my emotions easily: punk. Punk got me into music that I could feel. I've been listening to a lot of jazz like Miles Davis. I've been listening to a lot of progrock like Radiohead, PinkFloyd. Some instrumentals like Explosions in The Sky. Some hiphop like Outkast, N.W.A.,. And other stuff.

TL;DR??

Green Day, got me into Punk, and punk got me into other genres.

I started to look for something more in music and to look up edgier, punkier bands. And totally dropped pop shit I was in before GD.

It's actually odd. Green Day did changed my music taste, but online Green Day fans actually encourged this change.

I remember going on twitter, and eveyone was talking about My Chemical Romance. I figured what the heck and asked for some 'good' songs. Someone gave me a few songs and I loved all of them. A little later the same thing happened with Panic! At the Disco. My musical taste is still evolving at the moment actually.

So I guess I should thank the online Green Day fans for giving me a good music taste. :lol:

definitely. i was in middle school when i was introduced to Green Day and at the time, I listened to Avril Lavine and whatever rockish pop that was popular. Let's just say that it's been a couple years since Avril's had any airtime on my iPod.

I've never been into punk rock before i first listened to green day. i was listening to all that popular stuff, the charts, and also country and indie. than green day came and suddenly i started to discover all the punk rock bands (wich i actually never heard of before, i was 12^^) and thats how it started.

today i listen to punk rock mostly, also pop-punk and still a little bit alternative - indie stuff, so yes, they changed my taste of music :D

i think Green Day really got me to enjoy music in general. before i was a fan of them i didn't really listen to anything. if i did it was somthing super shitty, like bad movie soundracks. Green Day really helped me expand my love of music. now i seek out new bands and i am constantly listening to the radio. my ipod is almost full of music they inspired me to listen to. they didnt really change what i listened to because i wasnt listening to anything, but now i have discovered a wide range of bands and artists that i love, and it was all possible because of Green Day.

Of course they did. I started listening to more punk rock bands and I'm loving :)

But Green Day ARE Green Day, anyway!

Totally. Before I found out about them I was just a stupid child who used to listen to any kind of commercial bad music, pop crap, hip hop sellouts and stuff like that. When I discovered Green Day they opened my mind not only to other punk rock band but to all of the great rock bands of the good old times, which I used to despise just because my dad wanted me to listen to them :P

I think Green Day is the band that made me really enjoy music on a whole new level. Before I discovered them, I just listened to whatever that was on the radio, and not really listening and enjoying it. I had played piano for quite some time, but I never really liked it..

Green Day was, kind of, an eye opener for me, when it comes to music. They introduced me to, what was for me, a "new" kind music. As I got really into them, I discovered other bands and genres, which helped me realize that I can be who ever I wanna be.

Green Day will always be a huge part of my life, since they, kind of, taught me how to really appreciate music in all genres.

So, Yeah. Green Day has totally changed my musical taste. :P

wow, this wasn't cliche at ALL!!! >_____<

You bet they did. I actually used to LOVE Miley Cyrus. But then obviously, Green Day came and my life was much better. [:

completly, i listened to the beatles only when i was little 'casue they were the only band i knew and somewhat pressed on me by my father, then i discoverd GD through my friends. Now i listen to alt, punk, metal, grunge, screamo, post-hardcore, hardcore, hard rock, and more :)

• 4 weeks later...

I had a pretty big pop/rap stage right before I got into Green Day... I went to a new school and rap and pop were (and still are) the only thing my friends listened to. I went with it and started buying all these stupid songs. Then I went to the Green Day concert in August of 2009 and it changed me! They made me realize that punk/rock music is life :)

Somewhat. I listened to mostly classic rock/mediocre hair metal, then got into GD and like, punk shit, which made me want faster music so now im more into metal, but ill still listen to a Clash or Sex Pistols cd once or twice a month. And green day obviously a few times per month

Since I was nine, my three month music obsessions went somewhat like this (in order):

Hannah Montanna

Jonas Brothers

Taylor Swift

Rihanna

Avril Lavigne

The Black Eyed Peas

Britney Spears

Then my friend introduced me to Green Day when I was about 11, and after I got my first iPod, I downloaded 21 Guns on the historic date of September 27, 2009, at 7:36 PM. Then, sadly, we stopped talking and I forgot about Green Day. A year later, I was looking at random videos on youtube and found Green Day. After that I got into things like The Ramones, The Clash, and My Chemical Romance. Somewhere on the side, I got into The Beatles, but that had nothing to do with Green Day.

• 3 weeks later...

i use to listen to rap and r&b and like some 80s music thanks to my parents but then i would listen to the radio and found i like rock better but the old good charlotte changed my music likes then i liked blink 182 then i discovered green day songs i liked for a while but never knew that the band who wrote them was green day lol

Yes Green Day saved me from being sucked into listening to popular music and stuff. And now I listen to rock and stuff like that Y'know.

Definitely. Green Day got me into so much bands!

Without them I probably be one of these main stream nicki minaj or whatever that thing is called- bitches

Green Day were the first band i really go into and so they got me into music, and then i got into similar music like Sum 41, My Chemical Romance (don't Like MCR anymore though) and Sugarcult, then expanded out from their! :D Thank you Green Day!!! :D

Not changed it exactly... but they opened doors to stuff I might not have picked up on before like Op Ivy and Generation X...

Archived