Suggestion for a Green Day Tour...

OneOfThoseMelodramaticFools

Actually, I don't think we can really compare this time to any other point in their career. They've never had this much success, where they sold a bajillion albums AND got critical acclaim. Plus, they just feel so good about AI. So it's different from anything they went through before, even with Dookie, so I think the next album is going to have to be approached differently. I don't think they're planning on waiting a while before starting the songwriting process. They've said they already have ideas, and they're going into the studio like NOW. They're just saying they're not going to rush getting it done and released. I don't think we have to worry about them disbanding or anything.

Anyway, what's he got to fret about now? I mean with his personal life. If he wants to fret about sociopolitical issues, I say go ahead. Maybe I'm just acting like a new-school fan, but I like this whole "having a purpose" thing they've got going.

No, I didn't mean his personal life - he certainly seems all loved-up and happy; although I think he'll always have his dark side, that's what makes him the artist that he is.

I meant artistic-type fretting, which could easily come in the wake of such phenomenal success - how to follow it, which I think is where he's going with the 'silence' thing.

If he gets his ass back in the studio, that won't happen - do need some kind of a vague deadline, though - the luxury of time isn't always a good thing for a perfectionist.

Still, I like the 'having a purpose' thing too; can't wait to see where it leads.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AI is a great album, but that doesnt mean that everything else theyve done goes into the shadows. I love all their old shit too. It just rocks. But that request thing would be cool, but i have a feeling faggots would vote singles and nothing else. Oh well, and older day tour would be cool, I love 1,039 smooth. But my favorite album has to be either warning or nimrod. I cant decide, it changes everyday.

though you said it derogitoraly.. why do you feel that gays would vote for singles? i would think teenies would, i doubt gay people even make up that big of a percentage of the general attendance

That's true, but again, I think they're supposed to be heading into the recording studio this month. I can totally see myself procrastinating as long as possible on this, because it would freak me out to have to follow AI, but in interviews at least BJ doesn't seem too worried. He's realistic, but not intimidated. I like how he doesn't expect the next album to do as commercially well as AI. That comes with the long experience of being in an underappreciated band. :cool:

though you said it derogitoraly.. why do you feel that gays would vote for singles? i would think teenies would, i doubt gay people even make up that big of a percentage of the general attendance

It's because gays are just bitter that they themselves have to remain single by law (at least in most places in America), so they want the rest of the audience to be confined to singles.

Excuse my use of language. Im a sailor at heart. I meant Gheys as in n00bs that just care about GD because of the AI album and their singles and dont open up to all the other songs theyve made. Which most are brilliant. And by shit, i mean the "good shit", the kind you wipe a 100 dollar bill with.

Excuse my use of language. Im a sailor at heart. I meant Gheys as in n00bs that just care about GD because of the AI album and their singles and dont open up to all the other songs theyve made. Which most are brilliant. And by shit, i mean the "good shit", the kind you wipe a 100 dollar bill with.

I had no bone to pick with the shit comment, I just give people shit for using gay like that.

Sorry bud. I don't mean it outright. I have gay and lesbian friends, and i treat all types with respect, just that the words that come out of my mouth are never offensive to anyone. I try to curb the use of gay and retard though. I know they're not the best words for describing. I try, give me that.

They should go back to the musical progress they were making with Warning. I think American Idiot is by far the worst (I still like it though), and they really need to get back into the old Green Day groove.

'American Idiot' is by far the worst?!!!!

Words fail me - well they would, but I can't let that pass1

Maybe it's because I was going over the lyric book today, checking out St. Jimmy - and as a writer myself, I could literally read it and weep! Like, in despair!

How can I say this - look, AI is a fucking masterpiece! Musically, it's vast in its range, and it nails every genre it hits. It's molten with emotion. It's got a storyline that kicks the ass of Hamlet.

Ok, the lyrics - jesus, the lyrics!

The references, the layering, the visual power, the dark, dark humour - the words, where he gets them from, and what he fucking does with them.

The stark, devastating power of 'I'm the son of rage and love' - that's operatic in itself, without music!

'and I leave behind this hurricane of fucking lies' - what a visual!

'this dirty town was burning down in my dreams' - beautiful and bleak!

These are just randomly picked - I haven't touched Novacaine, E.12th St., the heart-touching Whatsername, and the best of them all, Letterbomb - but it's all good.

I would have enormous pleasure in going through every track on this work of art, and saying exactly why it's so good.

People have this album running like a movie in their heads, and it's because of the huge talent and huge effort that's gone into it. Billie Joe Armstrong is a major, major talent, a gifted man, and I think his work in AI is stunning.

Sorry bud. I don't mean it outright. I have gay and lesbian friends, and i treat all types with respect, just that the words that come out of my mouth are never offensive to anyone. I try to curb the use of gay and retard though. I know they're not the best words for describing. I try, give me that.

at least you apologized unlike a lot of people who will call you a fag if you say anything about them saying it..

'American Idiot' is by far the worst?!!!!

Words fail me - well they would, but I can't let that pass1

Maybe it's because I was going over the lyric book today, checking out St. Jimmy - and as a writer myself, I could literally read it and weep! Like, in despair!

How can I say this - look, AI is a fucking masterpiece! Musically, it's vast in its range, and it nails every genre it hits. It's molten with emotion. It's got a storyline that kicks the ass of Hamlet.

Ok, the lyrics - jesus, the lyrics!

The references, the layering, the visual power, the dark, dark humour - the words, where he gets them from, and what he fucking does with them.

The stark, devastating power of 'I'm the son of rage and love' - that's operatic in itself, without music!

'and I leave behind this hurricane of fucking lies' - what a visual!

'this dirty town was burning down in my dreams' - beautiful and bleak!

These are just randomly picked - I haven't touched Novacaine, E.12th St., the heart-touching Whatsername, and the best of them all, Letterbomb - but it's all good.

I would have enormous pleasure in going through every track on this work of art, and saying exactly why it's so good.

People have this album running like a movie in their heads, and it's because of the huge talent and huge effort that's gone into it. Billie Joe Armstrong is a major, major talent, a gifted man, and I think his work in AI is stunning.

Im glad you think so.. im also glad people have opinions... and im glad i have mine.

^^^^^^^^

Fair enough - but can I ask you why you think it's the worst? Where does it fall down?

Seriously...people just don't like AI because they fell in love with simpler songs. There's no question about it, AI is more musically complex. In my (and most critics') opinion, that makes it better. It isn't ALWAYS a rule that more complex=better, but in this case, it is. Now, I have nothing against the simpler structures. I've always loved them, too. But I would not call them better songs.

^^^^^^^^

Fair enough - but can I ask you why you think it's the worst? Where does it fall down?

Its a great album, yes.. and i never said it wasnt, but its the worst of Green Day's. I like green days earlier style better, plain and simple, 1039 and Kerplunk have the best lyrics and music of any of their work. I like the distortion and the pace of dookie and insomniac and some of nimrod. The acoustic work on both nimrod and warning is great, warning especially... and i loved the progression they were making there.. Then it was American Idiot.. yeah its a great album.. but its not what green day is to me.. its not what i loved about them.

I like how he doesn't expect the next album to do as commercially well as AI. That comes with the long experience of being in an underappreciated band. cool.gif

I think he's also being realistic - AI was a phenomenon, for the next album to be as big commercially would be freakish. Maybe this does take the pressure off in a way ; I'm also thinking this might produce something nice and intense, lower key - maybe something that will make old-school GD fans as happy as the new ones.

Happy speculation!

Ah, as long as the boy is chilled, it's all good! :thumbsup:

Its a great album, yes.. and i never said it wasnt, but its the worst of Green Day's. I like green days earlier style better, plain and simple, 1039 and Kerplunk have the best lyrics and music of any of their work. I like the distortion and the pace of dookie and insomniac and some of nimrod. The acoustic work on both nimrod and warning is great, warning especially... and i loved the progression they were making there.. Then it was American Idiot.. yeah its a great album.. but its not what green day is to me.. its not what i loved about them.

I understand when you say you just don't like it as much as the others, that's not the same as saying it's the worst, which kind of implies it's inferior in quality.

I love the old Green Day too, all the albums you mention, especially Insomniac, and for the reasons you say too. They were doing something special, there was a magic about it. What you talk about is what drew me to Green Day - the stripped-down honesty of the lyrics, the way the music - although it seemed simple - was honed to this sort of muscular perfection.

The great thing is , those albums are still there, I listen to them every day in one rotation or another, and chiefly Insomniac and Nimrod.

But to me, it's clear from 'Warning' that it had gotten old for Green Day, and they had to move on. An artist can't just keep on ploughing the same furrow for ever, and I think it had gotten played out for them, it wasn't who they were anymore.

AI is who they are now, and it's different, because they're different. I think the fairest way to approach it is to imagine it's not a GD album, and then rate it. That way, you don't tie them to the burden of reproducing what they did in the past.

If American Idiot had been produced by another band, what would you be saying about that band - that they were pretty damn good?

Well, in a way, it was produced by another band - evolved Green Day! :thumbsup:

i think the requests would be a good idea. But i think they need to give the touring a rest now. write some new stuff do a new album, and then do the requests off older albums. I also think billie needs to swear more. Like he used to. Most of my favourite Green Day songs he swore alot more. Platypus is my favourite song at the moment.

I understand when you say you just don't like it as much as the others, that's not the same as saying it's the worst, which kind of implies it's inferior in quality.

I love the old Green Day too, all the albums you mention, especially Insomniac, and for the reasons you say too. They were doing something special, there was a magic about it. What you talk about is what drew me to Green Day - the stripped-down honesty of the lyrics, the way the music - although it seemed simple - was honed to this sort of muscular perfection.

The great thing is , those albums are still there, I listen to them every day in one rotation or another, and chiefly Insomniac and Nimrod.

But to me, it's clear from 'Warning' that it had gotten old for Green Day, and they had to move on. An artist can't just keep on ploughing the same furrow for ever, and I think it had gotten played out for them, it wasn't who they were anymore.

AI is who they are now, and it's different, because they're different. I think the fairest way to approach it is to imagine it's not a GD album, and then rate it. That way, you don't tie them to the burden of reproducing what they did in the past.

If American Idiot had been produced by another band, what would you be saying about that band - that they were pretty damn good?

Well, in a way, it was produced by another band - evolved Green Day! :thumbsup:

It is the worst in my opinion.. as far as my taste. And i think that warning was that evolution they were looking for, that break from the same old thing. I do understand theyre different, and i do understand that their style has changed.. and for me, not for the better.

• 4 weeks later...

Eh...it SOUNDS cool now, but I know that if I were at that show, I'd end up wishing they were playing songs from later albums.

How about a tour of JUST songs that weren't singles? That way there's still be plenty of songs a lot of people know and love. But all of this is moot anyway, because it's not something they would do. Maybe if they did a little club tour before a big one for the next album or something.

a "just songs that werent singles" tour would be fucking awesome.

and yeah, they would never do that. :(

Archived