Suggestion for a Green Day Tour...

OneOfThoseMelodramaticFools

I was thinking of an idea that I think would be awesomely cool and was just wondering if anybody else would agree...

So Green Day just finished off the tour for their supposed "best album yet"...

Before they go and make a new album...I think they should do a tour of all of their pre-dookie days and do live shows of JUST songs from 1039 SOSH and Kerplunk.

I know that I, personally, would pay MORE for a tour revisiting their punk-roots than I did for the American Idiot tour...

Just wondering what the rest of Green Day fandom thinks... :/

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh...it SOUNDS cool now, but I know that if I were at that show, I'd end up wishing they were playing songs from later albums.

How about a tour of JUST songs that weren't singles? That way there's still be plenty of songs a lot of people know and love. But all of this is moot anyway, because it's not something they would do. Maybe if they did a little club tour before a big one for the next album or something.

I think it'd be cool if they did a tour that was 100% requests.

But I'd rather them just take a break from touring and then start working on a new album.

This is OneOfThoseMelodramaticFools, I just got a new sn because that one took up way too much space. Well...yeah. It's not like it'd ever happen...it just hit me and I said to myself HOLY CRAP THATS AWESOME...even though it would never happen. =)

How about a tour of JUST songs that weren't singles?

Yeh that's what I think they should do too.. Or even if they play singles that don't usually get played as well (like Waiting, Macy's Day Parade, Walking Contradiction, etc.).

i would really like to see a lot of pre dookie songs live but i dont think i would want a concert of just those two albums. i think the tour of songs that werent singles would be really cool.

except they should play when i come around. i love that song

This is OneOfThoseMelodramaticFools, I just got a new sn because that one took up way too much space. Well...yeah. It's not like it'd ever happen...it just hit me and I said to myself HOLY CRAP THATS AWESOME...even though it would never happen. =)

you couldve just gotten it changed by an admin..

They need to get their asses back to work!

I find Billie's comment about the next album beginning with 'silence' a little ominous. I know he means he wants to clear his head of all the hoopla of last year, and think about where he's going next, however I'm hoping that doesn't translate into some kind of long term brooding-period. Too long a waiting-time, and self-doubt raises its ugly head, even in the wake of such a spectacular success as AI.

GD need to take the energy of where they're at now and go forward with it, not back towards the old stuff.

Having said that, anyone who saw 'Christie Road' and 'Pasalacqua' on Comp'd could not deny what a blast it was, and emotionally-charged too - you could almost see their little teenaged selves in the shadow of the men onstage.

I still don't think I'd like a whole show of their past stuff - it was great to have the zip-gun himself, St. Jimmy, explode into the midst of the sentimental moments. He totally kicked ass, and put paid to any notions that the new material couldn't stand up to the old.

I think it would be cool if they stayed in fan's houses when they tour, like they did before Dookie. But of course, that probably won't ever happen.

I still don't think I'd like a whole show of their past stuff - it was great to have the zip-gun himself, St. Jimmy, explode into the midst of the sentimental moments. He totally kicked ass, and put paid to any notions that the new material couldn't stand up to the old.

True, true. I hope St. Jimmy will always be played at future concerts. However, I don't share your feelings about them taking their time being a bad thing. I mean, look at the past few years. AI came out 4 years after their last real album. And we know that the stuff they had planned and recorded right before AI wasn't nearly as good. Imagine if they'd rushed it and put that out as an album? They might never have written AI. I think they should take as much time as they need and really put thought and effort into an album, and not just bang it out. I'm hoping AI will start a trend like that.

that would be sweet, but it would still be filled with people who havnt heard any songs from before dookie.

im really curious what that show at Gilman last year was like.....i wonder if they wore their stage uniforms.....or what it was like...or if people still hated em...hmm.

True, true. I hope St. Jimmy will always be played at future concerts. However, I don't share your feelings about them taking their time being a bad thing. I mean, look at the past few years. AI came out 4 years after their last real album. And we know that the stuff they had planned and recorded right before AI wasn't nearly as good. Imagine if they'd rushed it and put that out as an album? They might never have written AI. I think they should take as much time as they need and really put thought and effort into an album, and not just bang it out. I'm hoping AI will start a trend like that.

they pulled insomniac out of their ass in almost no time whatsoever, and pracitcally made the whole thing on the road....and its my favorite cd of all time. American idiot was way overdone. had some good songs, but they were just all way too produced.

they pulled insomniac out of their ass in almost no time whatsoever, and pracitcally made the whole thing on the road....and its my favorite cd of all time. American idiot was way overdone. had some good songs, but they were just all way too produced.

Well obviously if you're a fan of Insomniac, AI might seem overproduced. I agree that it's very polished, but I think it was appropriate for the style of album they were going for. Don't get me wrong, I love Insomniac (what I've heard...don't actually own it yet, but I'm working on it). But I think the fact that they want to take their time on this one shows that they've learned from the experience of pulling Insomniac out of their asses, and apparently they don't find that as fulfilling as taking their time. I trust what the band feels is right for them at this point in their career.

I don't think it's the same case; 'Warning' - and I've gotten flamed for this on my 'Warning' thread, but I'm a glutton for punishment, so I'll say it again - was to me, where Billie started getting blocked. There are the stand-out gems on that album, but there's a lack of energy and direction going on, and I think that's why it took them so long to get going again.

You've heard all the interviews around AI where they described how they almost broke up, how they basically had to learn how to relate to each other to the extent that they had to schedule weekly 'conversation time' - terrible when you think how close they'd been - and to make music again. They were practically starting from scratch in the run-up to AI, naturally there'd be burn-off stuff, material they'd work through but not want to use. By the way, my opinion of the 'lost' album is that it was the burn-off stuff, which Warner might have wanted to release if they could have gotten their hands on it, and the boys decided to exercise a little quality control measure.

They've got all that ground-work done now, and if they hang around too long, Billie will just go off and fret!

Or go off and do something else less taxing.

Insomniac was released a year after Dookie, after fast and furious recording - well, ok, and a little chemical assistance - and it's my personal favourite.

Actually, I don't think we can really compare this time to any other point in their career. They've never had this much success, where they sold a bajillion albums AND got critical acclaim. Plus, they just feel so good about AI. So it's different from anything they went through before, even with Dookie, so I think the next album is going to have to be approached differently. I don't think they're planning on waiting a while before starting the songwriting process. They've said they already have ideas, and they're going into the studio like NOW. They're just saying they're not going to rush getting it done and released. I don't think we have to worry about them disbanding or anything.

They've got all that ground-work done now, and if they hang around too long, Billie will just go off and fret!

Anyway, what's he got to fret about now? I mean with his personal life. If he wants to fret about sociopolitical issues, I say go ahead. Maybe I'm just acting like a new-school fan, but I like this whole "having a purpose" thing they've got going.

I'm just looking forward to another secret show..but definately when they tour for their next album. but that's looking a bit far ahead..

They should go back to the musical progress they were making with Warning. I think American Idiot is by far the worst (I still like it though), and they really need to get back into the old Green Day groove.

AI is a great album, but that doesnt mean that everything else theyve done goes into the shadows. I love all their old shit too. It just rocks. But that request thing would be cool, but i have a feeling faggots would vote singles and nothing else. Oh well, and older day tour would be cool, I love 1,039 smooth. But my favorite album has to be either warning or nimrod. I cant decide, it changes everyday.

Archived