Help with a school speech on Green Day

Whydoyouwanthim

i read "american idiots and the new punk explosion" great book. its almost all about thier childhoot and teen years, you should get it. i got it in a really big book store when i was in europe. should have everything you need for a speech, and its really fun to read.

why would green day be in a book about new punk? they should be in a book about new pop-rock!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest RhetoricalGrasshopper

why would green day be in a book about new punk? they should be in a book about new pop-rock!

That's very true.

Do it like this:

-Introduction (I am now going to tell you about...)

-Billie and Mike meeting up and playing in California

-Mention that Al Sobrante was replaced by Tre' Cool

-Little biographies and facts about Billie, Mike and Tre

-Songs and albums (Dookie/Insomniac/Nimrod/Warning), songs, drugs, record sales etc.

-Commercial Slump

-Commercial Boom (American Idiot)

-Publicity (Milton Keynes/AOL/VMAs/Grammys)

-What Green Day may hold in store for us soon (movie/new album)

-Conclusion

What is your speech about? The history of Green Day, how they've made an impact on music, or what?

heh..thats what i was going to say.

Thanks guys. Also we have to bring in visual aids so I was thinking I could bring in all my CD's and maybe a poster or two.if theres is any more pointers that would be great.

PS.. does anyone have an example like of something theyve done.(not the whole thing just like a little bit)

I did a speech on Green Day last year for E.L.A and it ended up being 20 minutes... those pooer kids who had to listen to it..

Guest RhetoricalGrasshopper

I did a speech on Green Day last year for E.L.A and it ended up being 20 minutes... those pooer kids who had to listen to it..

Hahaha. You should have recorded it and posted it here.

i did an 18 minute presentation of a brief history of rock music since the sixties :laugh: the only thing i lost points on was length

• 3 weeks later...

I Know some of the info is screwed so dont rag on me.

Imagine this; blood pumping, your in a state of mind were noone call pull you out of it, your head going wild. But, do you know what is doing this? I know. Your probably thinking music. What? You wernt? I knew it.

Music for some people is all about feeling good. But they have theyre music of choice. Some people prefer Mariah Carey or Jay Z. Mettalica or AC/DC. But, for me, its all about Green Day.

With is why I am here to day. To tell you a little bit about my favorite band. Hi. My name is Tori and today YOU will have the chance to learn about Green Day.

Lets start off with the basics. The band members. First up is Mr. Billie Joe Armstrong. Born February 17th 1972 in Rodeo California , The youngest of six children. Billie joes father, andy was a part time jazz musician and a truck driver, while his mother was a waitress. Billie started singing at age 5. He would go around to hospitels and sing to the patients to makethem feel better. Then a age 10 his life took an unreal turn, his father died from cancer of the esouphagus wich spread through his body. Two years after the death of his father his mother remarried to a man Billie and his siblings detested. Also at age ten Billie Joe met soon to be bassist of Green Day in theyre school cafiteria. Billie Joe wrote his very firts song at age 14, “Why do you want him” about his mother and step father. At the age of fifteen Billie Joe, Mike and a Drummer named John formed a band named Sweet Childre, but John left the band in 1990 to go to college. Billie Joe and Mike needed a new drummer and they new the perfect fit. Tré, who was then playing for a band named The Lookouts but decided to go with Billie Joe and mike instead. They then changed the band name to Green Day and started rockin the world in a book mobile with Trés dad as the choufur. They did this with little money and staying at fans houses. Billie Joe got married on July 2nd 1994 to long time girlfriend Adrienne, a 5 minute ceromony. The day after Adrienne found out she was pregnet with Joey their first son. 3 years later Jakob was born.

Next inline is Mike Dirnt, born May 4th 1972 in rodeo califonia, under the birth name Micheal Ryan Pritchard. Mikes biolagical mother was a herione addict so she gave him up. Mike was adopted, but his adopitive parents split up when he was 7 years old. Mike lived with his dad for a while, but went back to his mother. But he was living there on the border line of poverty while his sister left home at age 13. “ All sorts of thngs were happening,” recalls mike. “ Wen I was in 4th or 5th grade my mom stayed out all night then one day she came home with this guy I never met and the all of a sudden he was my step dad, you know? Him and I didnt get along for years, them my mom moved away from us and then we got really close. But He died whe I was 17.” mike remebers. By that age he had already moved out. Mike and billie joe started a living for the weekend at The Gilman Street Projecet. Mike continued to go to school and eventualy graduated. Mike married in 1996 but got divoced. He has one child. Estelle.

Next is Mr. Frank Edwin Wright III, born December 9th 1972, in rodeo california , better known as Tré Cool. Tre lived with his father and 2 siblings as a kid. His nearrest nieghbor was Lauance Livemoore who recruited him at the age of 12 to play for his band, The Lookouts. Billie Joe and mike asked him to be in theyre band and he accepted. Tre decided to drop out of highschool his sophmoore year, but took an equalvilancy test, passed and got a GED. He took college corses but had to drop out due to the bands touring. “I watched them go from a bunch of kids to a group of musicians.” Says Trés dad. “They used to practice here in my living room, a lot of the songs off of dookie.” Tré has two children Romona and Frankito. Tre has been married twice and divorced both times.

Green Day has nine albums, 39/smooth, Kerplunk, Dookie, Insomniac. Nimrod, Warning, Shenanigans, ISH, and what you Know today... American Idiot. Green Day has inspeird me with my music, and my life. To push myself as a musician. To do what they did is incredible. The are the best band in the world to me and I look up to them. I hope you learned something here today. Thank You.

I've been in speech four years and I am the President of the Speech and Debate team. I'm sick of speeches. They could die for all I care.

Really...

They were all born in Rodeo? I could have sworn Tre was born in like the mountains or something crazy like that.

They were all born in Rodeo? I could have sworn Tre was born in like the mountains or something crazy like that.

yeah he was born in germany...and then raised in the mendocino mountains...

What you wrote was really good. My only advice is I would talk a little bit more about the band and a little less about their personal lives. Like when you talk about Billie Joe getting married that seems really sudden, because just before that you were talking about their early days as a band. (I'm not sure if you even have to mention their wives and children.)

I would say a little bit about the release of Dookie on a major label and how that was their big success.

Archived