what was the first green day song you heard? The one that made you a fan!

rockchick86

This is kind of a tricky question for me...

I saw the Waiting video premiere on TRL, and I loved it. I got the album, and then my dad let me borrow his Dookie cd, and I recognized a bunch of the songs. But then... I kinda lost interest and forgot about them.

Then I saw the American Idiot video, and I've loved them ever since. No losing interest or forgetting them this time around.

So I don't know... it's either Waiting or American Idiot, depending on how you look at it. But since I got the Warning logo tattooed on me, I think it's pretty obvious I consider Waiting to be when it started. :dance:

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to listen to this radio station called 99.9 the Buzz and they would play Green Day somewhat often

One day Basket Case came on (the first i'd ever heard of Green Day) and i was completely sold...

The first Green Day song i ever was Warning and that song turned me into a BIG Green Day fan!! :D

WARNING LIVE WITHOUT WARNING :woot:

im 14 so when american idiot came out i was about 6 or 7 - the very first green day song I heard was boulevard of broken dreams which I loved and I never really got into them until 21st century breakdown came out, when the first song I heard after a good few years was '21 Guns'

Now i love all of their albums including all of the really old stuff

the exact same thing with me. except that i'm a year younger than you. i was into american idiot when i was younger, when everyone was into it. and then january of this year, my brother was watching the music video for 21 guns and then i was like 'hey! those guys look familiar.' and my brother was like 'yeah, Green Day' and then there was a connection in my brain, i was like 'right. American Idiot' I fell in love with 21st Century Breakdown and then the older albums over time. Nimrod and Dookie - my two fav albums. :P I'm so glad my brother was watching the music video for 21 guns. Green Day has opened me up to this little thing called punk rock.

jesus of suburbia... all the way. mostly the line "there's nothing wrong with me. this is how i'm supposed to be. in a land of make believe that don't believe in me." because that was exactly what i needed to hear at that time of my life.

It was probably Good Riddance, I have no idea when I heard it, it's just always been a song I've known and loved, even before I got into Green Day. Same with When I Come Around, although I only recognised it when I bought International Superhits.

The first I remember is probably Holiday. I heard it on a Tony Hawk game that my brother had, when I was 9 or 10 :lol: I didn't like it a lot at the time, but now I realise how great it is. That same year I heard American Idiot on the radio and was like "OMGOSH THEY SWORED" :lol: But I was thinking that they definitely had guts, to write a song like that. I downloaded that, making my grand total of Green Day songs: 2. Again, that year my brother got the Wake Me Up When September Ends single, which had Wake Me Up When September Ends, Give Me Novacaine live and Homecoming live. For some reason I didn't hear Homecoming on it, probably because my brother didn't like it, but I heard Give Me Novacaine and Wake Me Up When September Ends. I wasn't really all that into them.

Last year, Green Day was interviewed on a TV show here and they were absolutely hilarious. I'd heard of them by then (obviously) and on the show they played a small clip of Know Your Enemy, and I was thinking "Oh, that's a pretty cool song, I'll download that" and then they played a clip of 21 Guns live and that just got me hooked. So, I started looking them up on the internet, got American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown for my birthday two weeks later and since then, well, yeah. I don't actually like 21 Guns all that much anymore, but it introduced me to this amazing band. <3

Sorry for the essay there :lol:

I'm not going to re-read this entire thread to see if I ever posted in the past, but the first song I ever heard was 2000 Light Years Away. A friend's band played it in 1993 or 1994 and that got me into Green Day.

The first song I ever heard was Longview but that was before I ever really knew who they were. I heard a lot of their songs before I ever really knew who they were. Then in 8th grade I heard BOBD cuz my friend had American Idiot and I asked her if I could borrow the CD and that is when I was hooked. I have always loved their older stuff more though.

Boulevard of Broken Dreams. I disliked American Idiot at the time because I didn't understand it.

It was American idiot... :happy:

My friend in sql had to present his favorite music& it was Green Day...and i liked it. since then I'm in :wub: with them. :runaround:

it was Longview i think, and i immediatly liked the chours:D and the whole lyrics was (still is) awesome :wub:

• 3 months later...

Much like everyone else, Good Riddance was my first. I heard it when I was about 5.

Good Riddance (time of your life) was the first I heard. 21st Century Breakdown made me a fan. Since then I have delved into all the catalog :happy:

My story's kinda weird. I was really depressed and apathetic and unbelievably bored, and one of my friends was like, "Hay, hay, this video is so cool."

I'd never heard of punk rock, let alone pop-punk. The video was American Idiot and my first thought was, "What the hell? Are they wearing eyeliner??" Then I actually listened to the music and did my research on the band.

American Idiot was the first song I heard, but Basket Case made me a fan because I have panic disorder so I could sort of relate to it. And I know that everyone says this, but I'm being completely honest and not exaggerating to any extent, Green Day really did change my life. = )

Holiday made me like them for sure, but when i heard jesus of suburbia... holy crap, THAT was the dawning of the rest of my life :D

(see what i did there> :ninja: )

The first i heard from Green Day was American Idiot. I was instantly hooked and i have loved them ever since!

First I saw AI...since this song I was aware of the guys. Since BOBD I'm a huge fan....I love this song and video! Billie Joe`s voice is incredible!!

Boulevard of broken Dreams ..

because my older sister had it on her iPod and since i first heard it, i loved it.

i always wanted to listen to it but it was HER iPod and she didnt let me anytime :P

American idiot, my dad was playing it in the car reeeeeally loud, i wass four and i LOVED it so much :D

american idiot that i know of, could have been another that i may not have realised. Green Day werent exactly HUGE over here years ago :sleep:

Probably American idiot or Holiday.. i always remember them being out there it just i only got addicted after seeing them live

Archived