Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Manic Street Preachers

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

boo

boo
  • Welcome to Paradise

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Joined Dec 12, 2005
  • 0 rep
I, for one, fecking love 'em!!! :D

Mrs Hahn

Mrs Hahn
  • M*A*S*H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,838 posts
  • Joined Sep 22, 2004
  • 0 rep
well i just have one album
but their music is pretty good
i like them

belficat

belficat
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,078 posts
  • Joined Oct 17, 2005
  • 2 rep
I've only heard 'if you tolerate this' from them, which I thought was quite cool.

dookiehead

dookiehead
  • Peacemaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,944 posts
  • Joined Dec 24, 2004
  • 0 rep
YES! I love them, but I only have Forever Delayed. My favourite's "Australia".

Sazzrah

Sazzrah
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,379 posts
  • Joined Jun 25, 2005
  • 1 rep
Yes!!! Fucking amazing, saw them at Wembly and was right at the front - definately one of the best live bands I've seen, and they just have a totally different sound to anyone else. Probably my 3rd favourite band (1st being Green Day, 2nd being The Ordinary Boys) Favourite manics song - 'From despair to where'

:D

The_original_mrs_cool

The_original_mrs_cool
  • Peacemaker

• 4,769 posts
  • Joined Jan 07, 2006
  • 0 rep
love them, but not the newer stuff, the richie james era stuff. The holy bible should be part of a childs education and generation terrorists is beautiful. If you have only heard newer stuff you really are missing out, oh and buy the book - everything (a book about the manic street preachers) ((thats its full name, not thinking your all stupid)) and read about the 'mad old days' of sex, drugs, self-injury and fooking rock - looking at the bunch of old men in suits they are now its easy to forget how they were

boo

boo
  • Welcome to Paradise

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Joined Dec 12, 2005
  • 0 rep

love them, but not the newer stuff, the richie james era stuff. The holy bible should be part of a childs education and generation terrorists is beautiful. If you have only heard newer stuff you really are missing out, oh and buy the book - everything (a book about the manic street preachers) ((thats its full name, not thinking your all stupid)) and read about the 'mad old days' of sex, drugs, self-injury and fooking rock - looking at the bunch of old men in suits they are now its easy to forget how they were

I totally agree, they've lost their way now and, much as it pains me to say it having been a devotee for so long, I think it's time they called it a day. The Holy Bible is amazing though, absolutely love it. Great to see a Richey pic in this week's Kerrang too...

Amanda

Amanda
  • Loved Very Much by Joey

• 29,944 posts
  • Joined Apr 08, 2005
  • 7,050 rep
I adore their version of the M*A*S*H theme, Suicide Is Painless.
Awesome.

Laura.

Laura.
  • Best Thing In Town

• 8,538 posts
  • Joined Nov 20, 2005
  • 8 rep
I think these are so underrated! They are amazing.

xbeautifulxdisasterx

xbeautifulxdisasterx
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 3,230 posts
  • Joined Dec 18, 2005
  • 0 rep

I think these are so underrated! They are amazing.

Very true

The_original_mrs_cool

The_original_mrs_cool
  • Peacemaker

• 4,769 posts
  • Joined Jan 07, 2006
  • 0 rep

I totally agree, they've lost their way now and, much as it pains me to say it having been a devotee for so long, I think it's time they called it a day. The Holy Bible is amazing though, absolutely love it. Great to see a Richey pic in this week's Kerrang too...

It is nice, sometimes it seems the whole worlds forgot him. Im sure he's still alive. he's such a chameleon he could probably be living in the UK nooone would notice! I agree about calling it a day too, sometimes its best to leave your marks as a musician and then leave it before it gets tainted. They had there glory days, but anytime you talk about the manics most people think off 'tolerate this' or 'richard nixon'. Thats the sadest part in my opinion, they should be remembered as the rockin superstars they were! i mean, you dont see bloody good charlotte or maximo park cutting 4real into there arms to prove a point do you??!!

xbeautifulxdisasterx

xbeautifulxdisasterx
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 3,230 posts
  • Joined Dec 18, 2005
  • 0 rep
No and they probably wouldn't have the balls to. Music was the manics life

boo

boo
  • Welcome to Paradise

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Joined Dec 12, 2005
  • 0 rep
Absolutely. Even though Richey may not have been the most skilled musician, it was in his soul. The 4Real incident was such an amazing statement to make, and it's such a part of recent rock history now. I always feel a little proud whenever a magazine article asks if a band is '4Real' cos I know it's a Manics reference :laugh:

It would be so cool to rewind back to the glory days of the first three albums (yes even Gold Against the Soul when James sounds like Rod Stewart :laugh: )

dammit

dammit
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Joined May 30, 2005
  • 0 rep
I like them quite a lot. Unfortunately I've only got Forever delayed. The greatest song is So why so sad. I can't get enough of it!!!

The_original_mrs_cool

The_original_mrs_cool
  • Peacemaker

• 4,769 posts
  • Joined Jan 07, 2006
  • 0 rep

Absolutely. Even though Richey may not have been the most skilled musician, it was in his soul. The 4Real incident was such an amazing statement to make, and it's such a part of recent rock history now. I always feel a little proud whenever a magazine article asks if a band is '4Real' cos I know it's a Manics reference :laugh:

It would be so cool to rewind back to the glory days of the first three albums (yes even Gold Against the Soul when James sounds like Rod Stewart :laugh: )

i totally agree, the music, especially the lyrics was who he was, it was in his soul. he had al the charterists of a genius, even down to the potential madness. Even if he is dead, his style and influence will live on forever. true hero in my eyes. And yes, gold against the soul did have its moments! even Everything must go (if thats the album name, cant quite remember) has richie influences, such as the lyrics in little black flowers.

Advertising

dookiehead

dookiehead
  • Peacemaker

• 5,944 posts
  • Joined Dec 24, 2004
  • 0 rep
So what should I get next? Holy Bible or Generation Terrorists....

boo

boo
  • Welcome to Paradise

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • Joined Dec 12, 2005
  • 0 rep
Get 'em both, they're both fantastic albums...But if you have to choose one, I'd say The Holy Bible, just because there's nothing else like it. As long as you like very dark lyrics...

burnout_13

burnout_13
  • Insomniac

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,632 posts
  • Joined Apr 25, 2005
  • 3 rep
Another band that my dad brought me up on. I looooooove 'em. My fave songs at the mo are Motorcycle Emptiness and La Tristesse Durera.

Watoosh

Watoosh
  • Lawnee Scumpunch!

• 17,435 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2004
  • 6 rep
there's a band i haven't listened to in forever... i have a ton of their cds, but i dont think i've touched some of them. kaelen just made me all of them because she thought i needed them. haha.

Watoosh

Watoosh
  • Lawnee Scumpunch!

• 17,435 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2004
  • 6 rep
i popped in "know your enemy" for the first time in a good 2 years or so. good album thumbsup.gif

piratepalmer

piratepalmer
  • Peacemaker

• 4,493 posts
  • Joined Jan 19, 2006
  • 1 rep
Can't believe I didn't add a post in here - I was listening to them a lot over the weekend - I love all their stuff - have done for many years - Kevin Carter comes to mind as a favourite - oh and Stay Beautiful smile.gif

Mrs Hahn

Mrs Hahn
  • M*A*S*H

• 18,838 posts
  • Joined Sep 22, 2004
  • 0 rep
QUOTE(Adeline @ Jan 13 2006, 02:14 PM) View Post

I adore their version of the M*A*S*H theme, Suicide Is Painless.
Awesome.

what what what? is there such a version?

dookiehead

dookiehead
  • Peacemaker

• 5,944 posts
  • Joined Dec 24, 2004
  • 0 rep
Well I finally got The Holy Bible the other week, it's barely come out of my player since. One of those albums where you just sit down and get pretty much mesmerised by it.

And seeing as it hadn't really happened when this thread was first made, what does everyone think of James's solo stuff? I bought the two singles but haven't got the album, though I might next time I have some money.

armatageshanks

armatageshanks
  • Best Thing In Town

• 8,538 posts
  • Joined Oct 15, 2004
  • 4 rep
when i took a "dead rock star" quiz i turned out to be one of the guys from this band.

Watoosh

Watoosh
  • Lawnee Scumpunch!

• 17,435 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2004
  • 6 rep
QUOTE(armatageshanks @ Nov 13 2006, 04:02 PM) View Post

when i took a "dead rock star" quiz i turned out to be one of the guys from this band.

probably ritchie edwards. the dude who jumped off the bridge.

The_original_mrs_cool

The_original_mrs_cool
  • Peacemaker

• 4,769 posts
  • Joined Jan 07, 2006
  • 0 rep
QUOTE(Watoosh @ Nov 13 2006, 09:04 PM) View Post

probably ritchie edwards. the dude who jumped off the bridge.

umm... maybe.....
i still dont buy it though.
hes alive and well, and nicky wire knows where he is

piratepalmer

piratepalmer
  • Peacemaker

• 4,493 posts
  • Joined Jan 19, 2006
  • 1 rep
^ Quite so. Jumped off the Suspension Bridge??? Pah - he was only popping around mine for a cup of tea and he got lost - that's all confused.gif He is missed wub.gif

The_original_mrs_cool

The_original_mrs_cool
  • Peacemaker

• 4,769 posts
  • Joined Jan 07, 2006
  • 0 rep
^
that make much more sence smile.gif
but i totally agree, dead or alive... he is missed wub.gif

Watoosh

Watoosh
  • Lawnee Scumpunch!

• 17,435 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2004
  • 6 rep
that's just what kaelen told me. i dont actually know much about this band on my own.

Watoosh

Watoosh
  • Lawnee Scumpunch!

• 17,435 posts
  • Joined Sep 11, 2004
  • 6 rep
i shall be getting "the holy bible" soon biggrin.gif (as soon as it gets shipped here from the uk, that is).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users