catskill94

Weezer

Thatsername
On 3.5.2018 at 12:08 AM, Eric said:

Any  info on The Black Album?

Rivers keeps posting pics from the studio on Instagram, and I think a few weeks ago he was talking about a June 1st release, which was probably just a joke, or probably not.

Christian's Inferno!
8 hours ago, Thatsername said:

Rivers keeps posting pics from the studio on Instagram, and I think a few weeks ago he was talking about a June 1st release, which was probably just a joke, or probably not.

Last I heard it was coming out in May but I think that was probably a short time after the release of PD. Seriously, why are they releasing albums every year, that clearly never worked for them in the past.

• Like 3

Cult Hero
32 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Last I heard it was coming out in May but I think that was probably a short time after the release of PD. Seriously, why are they releasing albums every year, that clearly never worked for them in the past.

The Black Album has been in the works for at least a few years now though

• Like 1

Thatsername

This is amazing :lol:

"Weezer unveiled a cover of Toto's 1982 hit "Africa." The band's rendition came about after a fan, whose Twitter account is @weezerafrica, lobbied for months to get the band to cover the song."

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/hear-weezers-fan-requested-cover-of-totos-africa-w520835

• Like 2

That Dude

Soooooo......May 25th I jumped on iTunes, ready to preview the new Weezer record and........................nothing.  I looked on youtube.  I googled. I searched the moon, I lost my head.................and now Weezer Black.   What happened? 

Christian's Inferno!
2 minutes ago, Too Dumb to Die(s) said:

Soooooo......May 25th I jumped on iTunes, ready to preview the new Weezer record and........................nothing.  I looked on youtube.  I googled. I searched the moon, I lost my head.................and now Weezer Black.   What happened? 

Well they never stated that it would be released on May 25th. Rivers mentioned that date but then said nothing up until then. I suppose it was possible that they could've just released it out of nowhere but I wasn't expecting that to happen

Cult Hero

Africa is the number one song in the world. Wow! Even if it is a cover. Nice to see they're active. Means new music soon probably

• Like 2

o_O

i actually dig the Africa cover. 

• Like 2

Cult Hero

I guess for every 2 really good weezer albums we get 6 mediocre or crap ones. This really isn't what the black album was advertised to be. 

• Thanks 1

Eric

Pretty cool funky fun song :happy: 

• Confused 1

Christian's Inferno!

People have been hating on this song heavily saying "It's the worst Weezer song". Firstly, that's saying something cause Weezer has a lot of garbage songs. But this isn't that bad. It's pretty good in some ways. I'm not really loving it but it's grabbed my attention at least. That's more than can be said about most of their other recent material.

• Like 1

sicksadworld

It's getting a little embarrassing to call Weezer my favorite band. Maybe it always was. EWBAITE was the comeback they needed and fine for what it is, but White was transcendent the first time I heard it. Pacific Daydream just doesn't do it for me though. I'm cautiously awaiting Black and then I think we're due for another long hiatus. Rivers has to get off his California "how do you do fellow kids" kick and find something interesting to say again.

That said, I would still pay an unholy amount of money to see them tour with Green Day. Billie Joe and Rivers, the baby-faced assassins!

Blue
Pinkerton
White
Maladroit
EWBAITE
Make Believe
Green
Red
Ratitude
Pacific Daydream
Hurley

• Like 1

Christian's Inferno!

Am I the only one that doesn't get why everyone loves White album so much? Granted, I'm not even a massive Weezer fan but I wouldn't call it one of their best albums. There's only like 2 or 3 songs that I'd care to listen to from that album again

sicksadworld
35 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

Am I the only one that doesn't get why everyone loves White album so much? Granted, I'm not even a massive Weezer fan but I wouldn't call it one of their best albums. There's only like 2 or 3 songs that I'd care to listen to from that album again

In general, I think the sum of its parts outweighs the whole. There's nothing I feel like skipping on it. Thank God For Girls and Jacked Up took some very rewarding chances and I think those two are a good bridge between their classic sound and what modern Weezer can be.

Unlike EWBAITE the production was crystal clear and I could pick up so many adlibs and little flourishes on a relisten. That 1-2 was such a breath of fresh air, songs that stood on their own merits instead of trying to Stockholm syndrome my way into liking, say, Ruling Me.

A color album is like a mission statement. "This is who we are." And at their best, that boils down to great melodies, tight harmonies, soaring choruses and clever lyricism that just about brings you to tears. My opinion may be mostly nostalgia-driven but it came out when I needed it the most. Winter turned to spring, and spring gave me a beautiful summer album to play over and over and over. Some of their most inspired work post-Pinkerton and at a level I reserve for Blue/Pink: "Break glass when you need to feel something."

Edited by sicksadworld
Didn't know replies were merged if you posted back to back

Christian's Inferno!
15 hours ago, sicksadworld said:

In general, I think the sum of its parts outweighs the whole. There's nothing I feel like skipping on it. Thank God For Girls and Jacked Up took some very rewarding chances and I think those two are a good bridge between their classic sound and what modern Weezer can be.

Unlike EWBAITE the production was crystal clear and I could pick up so many adlibs and little flourishes on a relisten. That 1-2 was such a breath of fresh air, songs that stood on their own merits instead of trying to Stockholm syndrome my way into liking, say, Ruling Me.

A color album is like a mission statement. "This is who we are." And at their best, that boils down to great melodies, tight harmonies, soaring choruses and clever lyricism that just about brings you to tears. My opinion may be mostly nostalgia-driven but it came out when I needed it the most. Winter turned to spring, and spring gave me a beautiful summer album to play over and over and over. Some of their most inspired work post-Pinkerton and at a level I reserve for Blue/Pink: "Break glass when you need to feel something."

I guess I just find white disappointing because EWBAITE was a great return to form imo, that album is in my Top 2 Weezer albums with Blue (maybe even No. 1, not really sure) and idk, White album to me seems kind of disappointing after EWBAITE. But even if I compare it to some of their lesser albums, it still doesn't seem particularly impressive to me.

But if most others find a lot of enjoyment from White album, then that's great! Good for you

sicksadworld
51 minutes ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I guess I just find white disappointing because EWBAITE was a great return to form imo, that album is in my Top 2 Weezer albums with Blue (maybe even No. 1, not really sure) and idk, White album to me seems kind of disappointing after EWBAITE. But even if I compare it to some of their lesser albums, it still doesn't seem particularly impressive to me.

But if most others find a lot of enjoyment from White album, then that's great! Good for you

Maybe it was getting two throwback-style albums in a row? I think White has more replay value but lyrically they were in a great place for both of those.

Grinch

I don't know why but the more I listen to the new song, the more I love it. Pretty hyped for black, probably because it doesn't sound boneless

• Sad 1

That Dude
On 10/16/2018 at 7:15 PM, sicksadworld said:

It's getting a little embarrassing to call Weezer my favorite band. Maybe it always was. EWBAITE was the comeback they needed and fine for what it is, but White was transcendent the first time I heard it. Pacific Daydream just doesn't do it for me though. I'm cautiously awaiting Black and then I think we're due for another long hiatus. Rivers has to get off his California "how do you do fellow kids" kick and find something interesting to say again.

That said, I would still pay an unholy amount of money to see them tour with Green Day. Billie Joe and Rivers, the baby-faced assassins!

Blue
Pinkerton
White
Maladroit
EWBAITE
Make Believe
Green
Red
Ratitude
Pacific Daydream
Hurley

Maybe what we need is a Green Day / Weezer super group!  (after Green Day 13 of course, but before any Weezer albums beyond the Black Album)

I actually like just about everything Weezer does (not a fan of Maladroit or Pacific though) but I'm pretty concerned that the Black Album is going to be terrible.  

After that one, Weezer should definitely take some time to find a different inspiration.  Usually with my favorite bands, the wait between albums is brutal, but it pays off.   With Weezer it feels like they release one every year, even though realistically it averages to an album every two years.  2008-2010 they actually did an album all three years.  It was WAAAAY too much and those albums are among their most hated.  

Dear Weezer, 

Take a cue from Green Day and give yourself and the music a few years, maybe four, to breath. 

• Like 1

Cult Hero

Listening to the new song a few more times I can see how the rest of the record could be a lot better. Some of the descriptions they gave early on do fit a little, like the clash dance kinda sound, but hopefully the rest is that darker/theatrical punk sound. I can see this song being towards the middle of the album. And I never thought the first singles from White and EWBAITE would actually be on good albums, so I can see it happening here too

That Dude

TEAL ALBUM! 

Also, random idea.   What if Green Day did a Weezer-esque album....or at least did an album cover like that.   Could be cool.