intellectuality through green days words

longview timer

what?? there is none, what?

wow, you have to keep reading

we went through like 2 hours of stuff just on how that really is a word... we are done with that subject... jsut read the rest of the thread

Yeah keep reading. There's a great conversation of spam involving me and a human dictionary

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, lyrics are fantastic and that, but there's nothing wrong with liking a song purely for the 'tune'. There's loads of songs I like just 'cause of the music.

Yeah, lyrics are fantastic and that, but there's nothing wrong with liking a song purely for the 'tune'. There's loads of songs I like just 'cause of the music.

yeah and that is totally fine, but what we are saying is that there is probably a deeper meaning behind the lyrics... and we are people who like to see that. And you are someone who likes the song for the tune, and that is fine, we are just different.

an intellectual side.

thats an opinion

I suppose...it's just that if a song has a really deep meaning to it and you disregard it...you should have looked into it further. There are plenty of songs that are just made for the sake of making good music, and that's fine.

I sound like I don't know what the hell I'm talking about. Sorry. I'm tired and am having trouble saying what I'm thinking. :huh:

yeah and that is totally fine, but what we are saying is that there is probably a deeper meaning behind the lyrics... and we are people who like to see that. And you are someone who likes the song for the tune, and that is fine, we are just different.

Oh no, I'm definitely one for the meanings and whatnot, I just like music too. I just remember someone saying something earlier in the thread about how they don't like when people only like a song for the tune. Or something along those lines. I'm just saying there's nowt wrong with it.

But yeah, I enjoy deep and meaningful lyrics as much as the next person!

Oh no, I'm definitely one for the meanings and whatnot, I just like music too. I just remember someone saying something earlier in the thread about how they don't like when people only like a song for the tune. Or something along those lines. I'm just saying there's nowt wrong with it.

But yeah, I enjoy deep and meaningful lyrics as much as the next person!

That was probably me...a few other people said that, too. I suppose I should rephrase that, though. You should like a song for it's music and it's meaning. I wasn't saying that music doesn't make a difference if the lyrics are pretty...obviously, the tune has to be good, too. So I agree with you on that.

Let's just say we agree with what we are all saying. :pinch:

I understood it too. When I listen to GD, I don't tend to just listen to the beats or the rythmes or things like that. I listen to and read the lyrics. Randomnly I will take out one of the lyric books and just stare at the lyrics Billie Joe wrote. Good Riddance, for me now I am addicted to it for some reaosn more so then I was... and, it makes me cry more now then it ever did. One night, I took out my notebook and wrote down the lyrics, and underlined everything in that song that was important to me. Yeah, the song was basically him saying "fuck you", but in the end... holy shit, it's an awesome song.

But other then that, yeah... people think GD is weird in general. But, that's because they just listen to the song without listening to the lyrics. Really when you look at it, you see how they feel. Like the Insomniac album, alot of people HATED that album, but I personally love it. Like, when you go on GDA and see the meanings for the songs, and then it says, like example Rotting, it says something like "about a suicidal guy and blah blah blah" but in the end, was really just about a guy? Or was it about Billie? His lyrics make you think, and I like songs like that. It took me the longest time to understand what Good Riddance meant until I say down and jst constantly played it.

Even to American Idiot... there is alot of things people don't understand and they are the ones who constantly bitch about liking their older stuff better. I think, they don't understand and have time to really give a damn. If you look in that album booklet, you see words that are in bold, almost like pointing out hints for you to see throughout the album. The JOS video, you need to see it more then just one time to understand it.

In the end, their lyrics are amazing. I can't pick which song is the best, but my favorite is Who Wrote Holden Caufield? because I just love The Catcher in the Rye.

" One light, one mind, flashing in the dark

blinded by tge silence of a thousand broken hearts."

that's one of my favorite part of all the lyrics Billie has written.

Me, too! I think 'Minority' is one of his best, he's putting across a really strong message about his hard-won beliefs, and the tone of the song is punky and aggressive. Then, all of a sudden, he expresses the core idea in these two little lines of pure poetic beauty.

That's why he's a fucking god! :thumbsup:

uuh..if im getting what u mean right then...

their music makes me think :huh:

im guessing thats what u were asking :blink:

Me, too! I think 'Minority' is one of his best, he's putting across a really strong message about his hard-won beliefs, and the tone of the song is punky and aggressive. Then, all of a sudden, he expresses the core idea in these two little lines of pure poetic beauty.

That's why he's a fucking god! :thumbsup:

I love it; one night I was in a chat with my friends and I posted the lyrics, and someone was like "how are you blinded by silence of a thousand broken hearts?" and I didn't even answer; some people just don't get it and it would have been a complete waste to explain it. Another good one is Macy's Day Parade.

"Todays' the Macy's day parade, night of the living dead is on it's way, credit report for duty call"

I understood it too. When I listen to GD, I don't tend to just listen to the beats or the rythmes or things like that. I listen to and read the lyrics. Randomnly I will take out one of the lyric books and just stare at the lyrics Billie Joe wrote. Good Riddance, for me now I am addicted to it for some reaosn more so then I was... and, it makes me cry more now then it ever did. One night, I took out my notebook and wrote down the lyrics, and underlined everything in that song that was important to me. Yeah, the song was basically him saying "fuck you", but in the end... holy shit, it's an awesome song.

But other then that, yeah... people think GD is weird in general. But, that's because they just listen to the song without listening to the lyrics. Really when you look at it, you see how they feel. Like the Insomniac album, alot of people HATED that album, but I personally love it. Like, when you go on GDA and see the meanings for the songs, and then it says, like example Rotting, it says something like "about a suicidal guy and blah blah blah" but in the end, was really just about a guy? Or was it about Billie? His lyrics make you think, and I like songs like that. It took me the longest time to understand what Good Riddance meant until I say down and jst constantly played it.

Even to American Idiot... there is alot of things people don't understand and they are the ones who constantly bitch about liking their older stuff better. I think, they don't understand and have time to really give a damn. If you look in that album booklet, you see words that are in bold, almost like pointing out hints for you to see throughout the album. The JOS video, you need to see it more then just one time to understand it.

In the end, their lyrics are amazing. I can't pick which song is the best, but my favorite is Who Wrote Holden Caufield? because I just love The Catcher in the Rye.

Good Riddance - when someone is saying 'Fuck you' at the end of a relationship, what they're really saying is 'you hurt me really bad'. Good Riddance hurts - you can feel it in the melody.

Insomniac is my total favourite, it's the one that divides the fans, though; I think you either 'get it' or you don't. Those who do, love it - it's not like any other GD album.

I think 'Rotting' is about Billie - think of how his father died, it's how a lot of people think of cancer. I can't actually bear to listen to it for that reason, it's almost too close to the bone.

Agree with you about AI too - I learn something new practically every time I listen to it; it's an album that will really last, and be an emblem of our times.

Just love it!

I love it; one night I was in a chat with my friends and I posted the lyrics, and someone was like "how are you blinded by silence of a thousand broken hearts?" and I didn't even answer; some people just don't get it and it would have been a complete waste to explain it. Another good one is Macy's Day Parade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

D'you know, I really love it when people post the lyrics? I love so many of them myself that I want to know which ones other people pick up on, and I think it makes a special little bond between us, y'know, the ones who do get it? Believe me , most of my friends don't either, which is why I love to talk to people like you.

Macy's Day is a nice , off-beat one; it has a kind of sombre quality to it, full of wistful longing in the middle of a dreary life - 'give me something that I need, satisfaction guaranteed'. The music is languid and beautiful, the vocal is low-key, tender, heart-ache.

Like this one, too - thanks for quoting it.

Sorry, I screwed up my quote and lost your line from Macy's - I'll put it in here:-

'Today's the Macy's day parade, night of the living dead is on its way, with a credit report for duty-call'

i can't tell you how much i agree...

just like you, sometimes i just love to sit down and look at the lyrics.

i'm not the kind of person who can just listen to a song, not get it, and move on.

if i dont understand a song, i have to find the lyrics and i will sit and figure out what the song is about... otherwise it will bug me all day.

I think it is very true that a lot of the song meanings may say "a suicidal guy" but they just dont want to tell you that it really may be about one of the band members.

I agree that for a long time i didnt know the meaning of some of their songs, but now i could tell you the deep meaning behind any one of them... i love figuring out the meaning of songs, and i think it reveals a lot that you may now have known about a band

AH-HA! you nailed it!! a lot of my friends dont get why i never stop listening to music, and they judt dont get how i figure out the deeper meanings of songs... and that is EXACTLY why i love chatting on these forums...

by the way... i would have to say my favorte lyrics are the lyrics to "Good Riddance - Time of Your Life" but i also love "Wake Me Up when September Ends".

Another part of my favorite lyrics are

"Now I cannot speak, I lost my voice.

I'm speechless and redundant.

'Cause I love you's not enough.

I'm lost for words. "

i also have to say that the one line "We're Living in Repetition" is awesome.

WHATSERXXNAME -

'Cause I love you's not enough' - when 'I love you' is just an empty phrase, worn out by that repetition - beautiful!

I love -

'Taken for granted, now I waste it, faked it, ate it, now I hate it'

That string of rhyme, all the ways he's dealt his dead relationship, building to 'now I hate', tied up in that neat little phrase of music - fucking superb.

And he's never afraid of sounding like some petulant shit - if that's how he feels, he'll just say it.

WHATSERXXNAME -

'Cause I love you ain't enough' - when 'I love you' is just an empty phrase, worn out by that repetition - beautiful!

I love -

'Taken for granted, now I waste it, faked it, ate it, now I hate it'

That string of rhyme, all the ways he's dealt his dead relationship, building to 'now I hate', tied up in that neat little phrase of music - fucking superb.

And he's never afraid of sounding like some petulant shit - if that's how he feels, he'll just say it.

ok, you are awesome... you jsut made me better understand "Redundant"... i see now that billie says "we're living in a repitition" and he says "i love you ain't enough" - now i understand that i love isnt enough because it was worn out by that repitition - ok you rock

And i totally agree that Billie Joe just writes what he feels... and if the fans like it then great! He writes what he wants to write about - which is usually his feelings

Yeah, I actually sit down and read the lyric booklets too. I can't stand to listen to the song unless I can fully comprehend or interpret it. A lot of the time, I read the lyrics before I listen to the song, because even the music can change what you understood the lyrics to mean.

Yeah, I actually sit down and read the lyric booklets too. I can't stand to listen to the song unless I can fully comprehend or interpret it. A lot of the time, I read the lyrics before I listen to the song, because even the music can change what you understood the lyrics to mean.

totally agreed

ok, you are awesome... you jsut made me better understand "Redundant"... i see now that billie says "we're living in a repitition" and he says "i love you ain't enough" - now i understand that i love isnt enough because it was worn out by that repitition - ok you rock

And i totally agree that Billie Joe just writes what he feels... and if the fans like it then great! He writes what he wants to write about - which is usually his feelings

Thank you! It's great to talk about this stuff.

Wow, I didn't think anyone was going to read my post let alone agree with me. That was amazing, and thanks for replying to it.

I like when people post their favorite lyrics also. What I really love though, is this part in WMUWSE:

Here comes the rain again

Falling from the stars

Drenched in my pain again

Becoming who we are

You know, alot of people don't understand what "becoming who we are" means. And truthfully, it took me a while, until I really listened to it. All it means is that he has grown up from what happened.

But, I really love that song as well. I think it is very meaningful, and aside from Good Riddance, one of the best.

When you really think about it, all of green days songs are really powerful and stand for something.

When you really think about it, all of green days songs are really powerful and stand for something.

Exactly, you just sometimes have to look really deep

Thank you! It's great to talk about this stuff.

yeah, its pretty much the best... i love doing this because a lot of my friends arent as into music as i am... music is my life, and my friends are those kinds of people that listen to the song but not the lyrics... so yeah, i love talking to people in this forum

Wow, I didn't think anyone was going to read my post let alone agree with me. That was amazing, and thanks for replying to it.

I like when people post their favorite lyrics also. What I really love though, is this part in WMUWSE:

Falling from the stars

Becoming who we are

You know, alot of people don't understand what "becoming who we are" means. And truthfully, it took me a while, until I really listened to it. All it means is that he has grown up from what happened.

But, I really love that song as well. I think it is very meaningful, and aside from Good Riddance, one of the best.

haha well that is what this forum is for, to meet new people who are jsut like you, and agree with what you say.

Falling from the stars

Becoming who we are

I love 'becoming who we are' - it's one of the quotes I have pinned to my wall, and I think about what it means often.

I think its even more than growing up,and incorporating all those experiences into yourself. Identity is one of Billie Joe's themes, he's alway searching for who he is, like in Minority - what he is , down to the essence.

I think becoming who we are means being able to acknowledge and inhabit our whole being, accepting who we are and going with it.

I'm still finding out what that means every day, and I think it's an ongoing thing, that's what the 'becoming' is.

Again, he's a fucking god - one day the world will wake up to it. Till then, he's ours!

Yes, there's nothing that doesn't have a lot of thought behind it. Actually - ok, Tre's stuff isn't all that deep! :laugh:

i think its stupid wen ppl use Time of your Life 4 the wrong reason, like wen the use it like a memorial and it really means the opposite. but yeah, 1 of my favorite things about them is how personal the songs r. theyre really amazing. :happy:

i think its stupid wen ppl use Time of your Life 4 the wrong reason, like wen the use it like a memorial and it really means the opposite. but yeah, 1 of my favorite things about them is how personal the songs r. theyre really amazing. :happy:

You're so right - I hate it when Good Riddance is thrown in for every sentimental goodbye thing that comes along, but people just hear the melody and 'I hope you had the time of your life', and that's all.

That song has so much hurt in it, it breaks my heart.

But I suppose people are responding to it on another level.

Archived