intellectuality through green days words

longview timer

i think gd would b appreciated more if ppl knew the meanings of their songs. they will come 2 find that billie is a genius wen it comes 2 writing. i think GR is used 4 the wrong purpose because ppl dont no the real purpose of the song.....really they hav 2 look no further than the title.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW reading what people

are saying has made me think more

i read the lyrics of some songs and

some times i didnt get them

but some of you have said the meaning for

it and now i under stand more!

i think gd would b appreciated more if ppl knew the meanings of their songs. they will come 2 find that billie is a genius wen it comes 2 writing. i think GR is used 4 the wrong purpose because ppl dont no the real purpose of the song.....really they hav 2 look no further than the title.

Yeah, you're right, but when they look at the title, they ignore the Good Riddance part and just look at Time of Your Life; and then never listen! Well, they're all missing out on something so special, maybe even genius, as you say.

WOW reading what people

are saying has made me think more

i read the lyrics of some songs and

some times i didnt get them

but some of you have said the meaning for

it and now i under stand more!

That's great - there's a lot going on in Billie's lyrics, you don't always get them straight away; or sometimes you think you do, then later you realise there's even more depth there.

"Here comes the rain again,

falling from the stars.

drenched in my pain again,

becoming who we are"

It always gives me a lump in my throat.

"Bloodshot, deadbeat, lack of sleep,

making your mascara bleed

tears down your face,

leaving traces of my mistakes."

A part that just sticks with me.

Actually, I love the whole Rage and Love part from JOS so much, that I'm getting it tatooed on my wrists when I'm 18.

Rage on the left wrist and love on the right.

I love talking about lyrics.

My friends don't give a turkey's stuffing about song lyrics.. :dry:

And the lyrics to Pulling teeth!

they're great.

He's torn between fear and love for this woman. She keeps hurting him, but he's not really admitting it to himself because he loves her too much.

I just have one last lyric part I have to post:

( sorry for being a nag here! :P )

" Please don't think I'm crazy,

I don't want you to understand.

My mind is growing hazy,

to hell with your helping hand.

Why don't you just leave me alone,

this conflict is my own.

Keep your sources away from me that's all."

I dont know about anyone else, but whenever i hear "Wake Me Up When September Ends" I get chills... i think its because it has such a deep meaning, and i can relate to it pretty well. and because along with that deep meaning, the music in the song is unbelievable.

yeah, you're so right... some people just dont have that respect for what some artists do. They think 'oh yeah, they get up on stage and make a living out of it, real hard'... but it may be one of the toughest jobs ever... they have to creat these lyrics that people are going to like and then they have to create the tune... And i think green day may be the hardest working band, just because of the fact that they create these songs that dont just tell you the meaning, but really make you think... and thats why i think green day is so great...

and what you said about the title... thats very true, a lot of people just overlook the simplest things.

I dont know about anyone else, but whenever i hear "Wake Me Up When September Ends" I get chills... i think its because it has such a deep meaning, and i can relate to it pretty well. and because along with that deep meaning, the music in the song is unbelievable.

yeah, you're so right... some people just dont have that respect for what some artists do. They think 'oh yeah, they get up on stage and make a living out of it, real hard'... but it may be one of the toughest jobs ever... they have to creat these lyrics that people are going to like and then they have to create the tune... And i think green day may be the hardest working band, just because of the fact that they create these songs that dont just tell you the meaning, but really make you think... and thats why i think green day is so great...

and what you said about the title... thats very true, a lot of people just overlook the simplest things.

I'm sorry, but in this generation coming up, I have to consider Billie Joe the best songwriter that we have now. He always was, but for this generation? He is setting an example, and everything that he has fucking been through in his life, I don't understand why more people can't just like him more. They always have a damn comment to make and it is really sickening now.

I'm sorry, but in this generation coming up, I have to consider Billie Joe the best songwriter that we have now. He always was, but for this generation? He is setting an example, and everything that he has fucking been through in his life, I don't understand why more people can't just like him more. They always have a damn comment to make and it is really sickening now.

He's certainly putting himself out there for this generation, maybe because his own boys are growing up and he wants a better world for them, but he's always been interested in social justice anyway. I don't know how many of the new fans would know anything about the shit he's been through - a lot of them just see him as a pin-up. His story is there in his songs, for anyone who cares to find out. In fact , 'Scattered' says so -

'Now it seems I've forgotten my purpose in this life,

All the songs have been erased,

Guess I've learned from my mistakes'

His whole life is in his songs - they deserve some respect, and so does he.

He's certainly putting himself out there for this generation, maybe because his own boys are growing up and he wants a better world for them, but he's always been interested in social justice anyway. I don't know how many of the new fans would know anything about the shit he's been through - a lot of them just see him as a pin-up. His story is there in his songs, for anyone who cares to find out. In fact , 'Scattered' says so -

'Now it seems I've forgotten my purpose in this life,

All the songs have been erased,

Guess I've learned from my mistakes'

His whole life is in his songs - they deserve some respect, and so does he.

Exactly; and the sad part is he doesn't get enough.

"Here comes the rain again,

falling from the stars.

drenched in my pain again,

becoming who we are"

It always gives me a lump in my throat.

"Bloodshot, deadbeat, lack of sleep,

making your mascara bleed

tears down your face,

leaving traces of my mistakes."

A part that just sticks with me.

Actually, I love the whole Rage and Love part from JOS so much, that I'm getting it tatooed on my wrists when I'm 18.

Rage on the left wrist and love on the right.

I love talking about lyrics.

My friends don't give a turkey's stuffing about song lyrics.. :dry:

And the lyrics to Pulling teeth!

they're great.

He's torn between fear and love for this woman. She keeps hurting him, but he's not really admitting it to himself because he loves her too much.

'September', 'Church On Sunday', 'Pulling Teeth' - great selection, across the eras.

I was about to reply to your quote of 'September' last night, when I just got really hit by it emotionally, and I started a whole other thread about it - it's called, 'Because September Never Ends', check it out if you want.

I always associate 'Church' with 'Scattered' 'Redundant' and 'Worry Rock' on Nimrod, the 'relationship troubles' songs, full of passion and brutally honest, with vivid images like the 'mascara' one you quote.

In a way,I think they're even stronger love songs than '80' or '2,000 ' - when love is being torn like that, you see its strength.

I love 'Rage and Love', too - I think when you see Billie onstage with rage on one arm and love on the other, and himself in the middle like a hostage to them both, you know that's Jesus of Suburbia standing right in front of you.

Well, 1 Lite, he's getting some here, and that's a start!

'September', 'Church On Sunday', 'Pulling Teeth' - great selection, across the eras.

I was about to reply to your quote of 'September' last night, when I just got really hit by it emotionally, and I started a whole other thread about it - it's called, 'Because September Never Ends', check it out if you want.

I always associate 'Church' with 'Scattered' 'Redundant' and 'Worry Rock' on Nimrod, the 'relationship troubles' songs, full of passion and brutally honest, with vivid images like the 'mascara' one you quote.

In a way,I think they're even stronger love songs than '80' or '2,000 ' - when love is being torn like that, you see its strength.

I love 'Rage and Love', too - I think when you see Billie onstage with rage on one arm and love on the other, and himself in the middle like a hostage to them both, you know that's Jesus of Suburbia standing right in front of you.

Well, 1 Lite, he's getting some here, and that's a start!

Yes, that is a HUGE relief. :cool:

Billie Jow writes what he wants to write and he writes about how he thinks things should be... and thats what you have to love about him, he couldnt care less what other people think

Yes, that is a HUGE relief. :cool:

well guys, we really got people talking, huh?

haha

the only celebrity thats managed to do anything on a large scale is bob galdof.

bono thinks he does.

and green day r a voice for a generation.

green day might not be respected now by everyone, but i know someday they will be...

and they dont care, as long as they have the fans like us who truely do respect them, then they are good

Billie Jow writes what he wants to write and he writes about how he thinks things should be... and thats what you have to love about him, he couldnt care less what other people think

well guys, we really got people talking, huh?

haha

Yeah, we did! And I love it! Love it, love the man :wub: , love all of you! Green Day fans fucking rock!

green day might not be respected now by everyone, but i know someday they will be...

and they dont care, as long as they have the fans like us who truely do respect them, then they are good

They don't have to care once they have us - all an artist needs is someone or some people who care about what he's trying to do, and have a response to it - and having a response doesn't mean you never criticize either, just that there's respect and support and love, because you want him to succeed.

I sometimes think that it's good for Green DAy to be a little bit away from total approval - that can be a killer for an artist. They have to keep faith with the ghost of St. Jimmy - the one who's from the way outside - so they need to be a little outside themselves too. They've had all this adulation from all kinds of

people this past year, and I think they've come thru it ok.

I think it's going to boil down to the core fans again - look at the amount of fan sites that have bitten the dust already.

the only celebrity thats managed to do anything on a large scale is bob galdof.

bono thinks he does.

and green day r a voice for a generation.

What Bob Geldof has in common with Green DAy is that he has always said exactly what he thinks - I don't know if you've ever seen footage of Live Aid, but Bob is there, pissed off that people are just enjoying the music and not pledging money, and he grabs the presenters mic and starts a rant that begins 'Just give us you fucking money!' - and then the cash starts to flow! That's how things get done in this world - you need someone who can motivate.

Bono is too interested in what it is to be a 'rock star' - he may flatter the politicians, and if that works, good for him, but he doesn't reach the hearts of people, which is what is needed for any real change to happen.

Green Day are honest and vocal - they've always been on a journey with their beliefs, and as you say, they've brought a whole generation with them. They are speaking for people who don't hunger for food, but for hope and meaning; at the same time, they give groups like Amnesty a place on their tour, and are involved in practical forms of social justice.

They are totally the right spokesmen for the 21st century.

And also, they rock!

Archived