Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Pinhead Gunpowder

• Please log in to reply
589 replies to this topic

Big Cheese

Big Cheese
  • Generator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,306 posts
  • Joined Nov 04, 2011
  • 1,925 rep

Damn, that's a good one!

Sorry man. :P

Actually, scratch that, my least favorite is the version of "On the Ave." with Lauren singing. The version with Billie and Jason is okay though.

• Todd likes this

Todd

Todd
  • Sweet and Sour Children

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,042 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 6,758 rep
I've been wanting to get my hands on Kick Over the Traces, but everytime I see one it's over $30. Whether it's the CD or the vinyl.

Hermione

Hermione
  • Soggy Dream

• 28,185 posts
  • Joined Jan 09, 2008
  • 10,967 rep

So I know most of the time it's Billie or Jason singing in this band but who is it the rest of the time, the rough punky sounding voice(s)? They're all credited for singing on at least some of the albums, does anyone know which songs have vocals by Aaron, which have vocals by Sarah and which have vocals by Bill (if any)?

Big Cheese

Big Cheese
  • Generator

• 4,306 posts
  • Joined Nov 04, 2011
  • 1,925 rep

So I know most of the time it's Billie or Jason singing in this band but who is it the rest of the time, the rough punky sounding voice(s)? They're all credited for singing on at least some of the albums, does anyone know which songs have vocals by Aaron, which have vocals by Sarah and which have vocals by Bill (if any)?

Sarah sang "Future Daydream", "Freedom Is", "I Wanna", "Dull", "Benicia by the Bay", "In Control" and "Hey Now". And then Bill sang "I Am the Stranger" and had some parts on "Once More W/O Feeling" and "Swan Song". Aaron didn't sing any.

• Iva likes this

Hermione

Hermione
  • Soggy Dream

• 28,185 posts
  • Joined Jan 09, 2008
  • 10,967 rep

Sarah sang "Future Daydream", "Freedom Is", "I Wanna", "Dull", "Benicia by the Bay", "In Control" and "Hey Now". And then Bill sang "I Am the Stranger" and had some parts on "Once More W/O Feeling" and "Swan Song". Aaron didn't sing any.

Thanks! Now you say it that makes sense. Does Aaron maybe sing on "Porch"? If not do you know who it is?

Big Cheese

Big Cheese
  • Generator

• 4,306 posts
  • Joined Nov 04, 2011
  • 1,925 rep

Thanks! Now you say it that makes sense. Does Aaron maybe sing on "Porch"? If not do you know who it is?

Yeah, he might've sang "Porch", the whole time I've been a fan I've never figured out who sings that one. :lol:

Liam

Liam
  • Orwelliam

• 9,317 posts
  • Joined Feb 17, 2009
  • 3,541 rep

I've been wanting to get my hands on Kick Over the Traces, but everytime I see one it's over $30. Whether it's the CD or the vinyl.

There use to be a Japanese seller on eBay who use to sell the Japanese editions (with the Gilman St recording) for about $10 and $5. I regret not buying one before he sold out :(

• Todd likes this

Hermione

Hermione
  • Soggy Dream

• 28,185 posts
  • Joined Jan 09, 2008
  • 10,967 rep

Yeah, he might've sang "Porch", the whole time I've been a fan I've never figured out who sings that one. :lol:

I think it's the artwork with speech bubbles coming out of all the band member's mouths singing it that makes me think that :lol:. They're all credited with vocals on the album so I guess it could be him, or he might've just done some of the extra stuff in the background ("yeah right!" etc) with Bill singing the lead vocals.

• Big Cheese likes this

Todd

Todd

• 14,042 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 6,758 rep

Bill does Backyard Flames too I think

There use to be a Japanese seller on eBay who use to sell the Japanese editions (with the Gilman St recording) for about $10 and $5. I regret not buying one before he sold out :(

:cry: yeah, it's the Japanese version that I want. the US CD is on discogs for $8, but the Japanese release isn't even on the database.

Big Cheese

Big Cheese
  • Generator

• 4,306 posts
  • Joined Nov 04, 2011
  • 1,925 rep

Bill does Backyard Flames too I think

Bill wrote "Backyard Flames", but Jason sang it.

Hermione

Hermione
  • Soggy Dream

• 28,185 posts
  • Joined Jan 09, 2008
  • 10,967 rep

Yeah Bill's voice isn't that good :P

Iva

Iva
  • "BUT R2D2 ejaculated at him!" - Tom

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,240 posts
  • Joined May 22, 2013
  • 4,582 rep

How come I never posted in this thread? :o

Favourite songs: 2nd Street, Swan Song, Cabot Gal, On the Ave (not the Jason/Billie version), Song of my Returning, the cover of Big Yellow Taxi, Kathleen.

• Big Cheese likes this

haushinkax3

haushinkax3
  • Brat

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • Joined Apr 17, 2010
  • 93 rep

I hope they make another album!

Big Cheese

Big Cheese
  • Generator

• 4,306 posts
  • Joined Nov 04, 2011
  • 1,925 rep

Yeah Bill's voice isn't that good :P

He kinda sounds a bit like Fat Mike. :P

Favourite songs: 2nd Street, Swan Song, Cabot Gal, On the Ave (not the Jason/Billie version), Song of my Returning, the cover of Big Yellow Taxi, Kathleen.

Good choices for favorites! My favorite songs would have to be: "Freedom Is", "Big Yellow Taxi", "Keeping Warm in the Nighttime", "Beastly Bit", "Benicia by the Bay", "In Control", "Find My Place", "Walkin' Catastrophe", "Certain Things", practically everything on Goodbye Ellston Avenue (except "Work for Food"), "Cabot Gal", "Asheville", "Junkpile", "27", "2nd St.", "Landlords" (electric version), "New Blood", "Crazy Horse", and most everything else.

Yes, I'm a huge fan of this band. :P Probably haven't been listening to them as long as you since you're way older than me but I've been listening to PHGP for a good 7 years! :lol:

• Todd and Iva like this

SaintJimmy13

SaintJimmy13
  • Product of War and Fear that We've Been Victimised

• 4,030 posts
  • Joined Jun 05, 2014
  • 2,321 rep

Not Life During Wartime? I'd definitely put that at the top. Cabot Gal is a song I remember from my childhood though, so that's definitely somewhere on my list.

Advertising

Todd

Todd

• 14,042 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 6,758 rep

Not Life During Wartime? I'd definitely put that at the top. Cabot Gal is a song I remember from my childhood though, so that's definitely somewhere on my list.

I wouldn't put that on my list. It's an average songs at best. 

My favs: Dull, In Control, Future Daydream, Freedom Is, Hey Now, Find My Place, Walkin' Catastrophe, I Am the Stranger, Once More Without Feeling, Swan Song, The Great Divide, Achin' to Be, Landlords (Electric), Buffalo, New Blood, Westside Highway, and Anniversary Song. 

The bolded ones are extra-favorite :D

• Big Cheese likes this

Big Cheese

Big Cheese
  • Generator

• 4,306 posts
  • Joined Nov 04, 2011
  • 1,925 rep

I wouldn't put that on my list. It's an average songs at best. 

My favs: Dull, In Control, Future Daydream, Freedom Is, Hey Now, Find My Place, Walkin' Catastrophe, I Am the Stranger, Once More Without Feeling, Swan Song, The Great Divide, Achin' to Be, Landlords (Electric), Buffalo, New Blood, Westside Highway, and Anniversary Song. 

The bolded ones are extra-favorite :D

That's a good list! I'd add "I Walk Alone", "Train Station" and "Benicia by the Bay" on it but otherwise you chose great ones!

Todd

Todd

• 14,042 posts
  • Joined Mar 07, 2012
  • 6,758 rep

That's a good list! I'd add "I Walk Alone", "Train Station" and "Benicia by the Bay" on it but otherwise you chose great ones!

Ah, shit, I didn't even check the comps when I went through iTunes making my list. So add I Wanna and Beastly Bit :P

• Big Cheese likes this

Iva

Iva
  • "BUT R2D2 ejaculated at him!" - Tom

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,240 posts
  • Joined May 22, 2013
  • 4,582 rep

Is actual life during wartime a valid enough replacement for putting that song among favourites, or does it not count? ;)

• Todd and SaintJimmy13 like this

DTH

DTH
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • Joined Apr 02, 2012
  • 532 rep

my favourites:

1. Song of my returning

2. Life during wartime

3. West Side Highway