Welcome to Green Day Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
There are only just hours left to vote for your favorite in the Karaoke Contest!

Photo

Alkaline Trio

• Please log in to reply
832 replies to this topic

olstjimmy

olstjimmy
  • Pedestrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Joined Feb 03, 2013
  • 634 rep

I did not! You have some good taste, I must say.

So what's your favorite song and/or album?

They have been killer this tour. They haven't missed a beat, I heard an old fan saying that they're playing at the top of their game right now.

UGH NOW I AM MORE EXCITED!

Last time I saw them in August they were amazing as well and played a fantastic set

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,018 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,586 rep
Anyone ever notice that the lyrics to Dan's solo album song "From This Oil Can" are the same as the lyrics in "I Remember A Rooftop" from Damnesia?

Nzap

Nzap
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Joined Apr 09, 2009
  • 95 rep

Bought Goddamnit and was a bit underwhelmed. I heard so often how it was supposed to be better than "Maybe I'll catch fire", but to me Goddamnit is their weakest album.

Some good songs on it of course, like Cop, Clavicle and the last 3, but aside from that there was a lot of "meh".

Heisenberg

Heisenberg
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • Joined Dec 18, 2008
  • 445 rep

Damn really? that's a shame you didn't like it. I used to listen to that CD on repeat for hours back in the day. I even went and saw them when they played the whole album beginning to end. I think it was the Occult Roots tour or something. That was an awesome show.

• Cob likes this

Nzap

Nzap
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Joined Apr 09, 2009
  • 95 rep

Damn really? that's a shame you didn't like it. I used to listen to that CD on repeat for hours back in the day. I even went and saw them when they played the whole album beginning to end. I think it was the Occult Roots tour or something. That was an awesome show.

Yeah I don't know why. I apparently have a strange opinion of their albums, as I find Agony & Irony to be one of their best along with Good Mourning and My Shame is True. I know at least A&I has been lambasted by AT fans.

Never been a big fan of Crimson and now not of Goddamnit either. I mean they are solid albums, but for me they had a lot of songs of the "meh" category. 

Crimson has though one of my favorites from them in Mercy Me.

• Welcome to Paradise

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Joined Mar 29, 2013
  • 2 rep

Dont know many of their songs, but stupid kid is one of the best songs out there

Nzap

Nzap
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Joined Apr 09, 2009
  • 95 rep

Goddamnit actually gets better with every listen. Still with some "meh" songs, but it actually has some solid songs. 

Still songs like "nose over tail" and "enjoy your day" are almost cringeworthy. Cringe is good though.

Heisenberg

Heisenberg
  • Supermodel Robot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts
  • Joined Dec 18, 2008
  • 445 rep

hah I think Nose over tail is one of their best songs

• knarrenheinz98 likes this

pasalaska

pasalaska
  • Dearly Beloved

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,721 posts
  • Joined May 01, 2006
  • 2,961 rep

If everything goes to plan in terms of festival timetabling, I shall be seeing Trio 6 times in Feb/Mar on the Soundwave Tour and at their sideshows in Australia. They're only the first opening band for Jimmy Eat World for the sideshows, but still I get to see them again :happy:

• Heisenberg likes this

pasalaska

pasalaska
  • Dearly Beloved

• 7,721 posts
  • Joined May 01, 2006
  • 2,961 rep

!!!!!

0e79c9409d4611e3a1b012ac658f7817_8.jpg

Got cringe dedicated to me at the 2nd of the two sideshows. So happy. 

• Heisenberg and Cob like this

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 3,018 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,586 rep
Nose Over Tail and Enjoy Your Day are amazing. The problem with Goddamnit is how similar the keys are and how jammy it is -- that makes some of the songs hard to discern from one another.

But after multiple listens the whole thing hits you and realize that Alkaline Trio is amazing and that the world is wonderful thanks to them.
  • Heisenberg likes this

pasalaska

pasalaska
  • Dearly Beloved

• 7,721 posts
  • Joined May 01, 2006
  • 2,961 rep

A few videos from the last couple of weeks. I have quite a few, and more to upload yet, but here's the first 3

Note the audio from the first 2 is crap, the venue wasn't great, no centre-stage speaker. I could barely hear the vocals when I was there

Sadie 

Every Thug Needs A Lady

My Friend Peter

also also also they were just playing the same old setlist over and over for the 5 shows I saw them, but then at the last (5th) show, they replaced Every Thug with Young Lovers, it was amazing. Matt came down to the front after the show and I gushed over it to him, and he said they'd partly changed it because I'd done the last 4 shows so they wanted to do something different  :wub: That and it was partly for some friends of theirs side stage.

Also got to ask him how bowling went ("the best bands are the worst bowlers"), and how the Jeff Matika show was (apparently he'd been drinking a bit and it was a lot of fun), what a dude.

There were so few fans that they did their own soundchecks in Adelaide and Perth, and in Adelaide Derek came down before the show to go to the soundbooth (I think), and he came down to the few of us on barrier to say hi. It's good and bad having so few hardcore fans I guess  :ermm:

Just a lot of fun really, great guys (as usual), so much love from Matt and Derek during their sets. 

c046f5389e8311e390dd127b467bd7bf_8.jpg

I fangirled more over Trio than I did Green Day hahaha

• Heisenberg and Cob like this

Nzap

Nzap
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Joined Apr 09, 2009
  • 95 rep

Oh Boy, bump this up.

Anyway they finally came to Finland past week (yay!), but I was out of the country (boo!) so I'm still waiting for an opportune time to go and see them. 

I'm on exchange studies in Poland, and guess which country they didn't go to in Europe....

And they only went to Germany in Hannover which is a bitch to get to from here, and they were in Prague the same day as I had an exam in the evening. Great timing :D

Anyways during the sobbing I had here on the 15th, I made my own compilation album of my favorites. First I'll say I haven't yet listened to all of their songs, both the compilation albums (Remains+Self-Titled) are still waiting home in Finland, as I just didn't have time to listen to them before I came here.

The main goal was to make it 60 minutes + what is left of the last song. This list is a little short to allow for some more songs to arrive from the two albums I've yet to listen to.

So this is the list that I came up with. I tried to mix and match the songs so that they work well with both the preceding and succeeding songs:

1. Time to Waste

2. This Could be Love

3. Madam Me

4. Hell Yes

5. Armageddon

6. She Lied to the FBI

7. All on Black

8. I Found Away

9. Emma

10. We've Had Enough

11. Mr. Chainsaw

12. Mercy Me

13. Fatally Yours

14. Radio

15. Private Eye

16. As You Were

17. Lead Poisoning

18. Blue in the Face

Total time: 58:11

All in all:

6/18 Good Mourning

3/18 From Here to Infirmary

2/18 Maybe I'll Catch Fire, Crimson

1/18 Goddamnit, Agony & Irony, This Addiction, My Shame is True, Remains (I have Hell Yes as a b-side on my FHTI album)

What I found interesting when compiling this list was the lack of Dan's songs. I knew I was more a Skiba-man, but this kind of separation was something I didn't imagine. Only Emma and parts of Mercy Me are sung by Dan. These 18 were cut down from 29 songs I first put on the list and one by one I had to drop songs. The last two (Clavicle and Blue Carolina) were agonizing to drop.

Hopefully this can spark some conversation here. This thread has been very quiet lately.

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 3,018 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,586 rep
My greatest hits is probably everything sans Live Young, Die Fast.
  • Heisenberg likes this

Nzap

Nzap
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Joined Apr 09, 2009
  • 95 rep

My greatest hits is probably everything sans Live Young, Die Fast.

:D, I kinda like that one. 

• Heisenberg likes this

Advertising

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 3,018 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,586 rep
There are a couple songs that I'm not the biggest fan of, but I'm not sure because when I listen to them I like them more than I remember. Live Young is probably the only Alkaline Trio song that I regularly skip.
  • Heisenberg likes this

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 3,018 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,586 rep

YO. Ubisoft's new game Watch_Dogs (which comes out tomorrow on the 27th) has "Private Eye" in it! 

• Heisenberg likes this

Nzap

Nzap
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Joined Apr 09, 2009
  • 95 rep

Goddamn. Made a "2nd best Alkaline Trio songs album", and now I can't even say if it's much worse than the best one.....

Spoiler

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 3,018 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,586 rep

So yeah this is happening https://twitter.com/...3659008/photo/1

Nzap

Nzap
  • Chump

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Joined Apr 09, 2009
  • 95 rep

So yeah this is happening https://twitter.com/...3659008/photo/1

Yeah, I envy so much people in the States sometime.

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 3,018 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,586 rep
Thinking about going down to LA for the shows. At least two would be awesome, idk If I can justify going for all four shows in the middle of October.

pasalaska

pasalaska
  • Dearly Beloved

• 7,721 posts
  • Joined May 01, 2006
  • 2,961 rep

Thinking about going down to LA for the shows. At least two would be awesome, idk If I can justify going for all four shows in the middle of October.

I got tickets to all 4 Chicago. I couldn't decide at first where of the 3 places I wanted to go, but then I realised it's the home-town shows. Plus I've never been to Chicago... there's also a nice-looking cheap hostel down the road from the venue, and it's a week after my birthday. Couldn't be better, I'm SO excited! I've only seen Trio at festivals or as a support band, these will be my first headliner shows!

speaking of festivals, went to Rockfest in Quebec on the weekend and say Trio play a 35-minute set:

Every Thug 

Spoiler

JAKED ON GREEN BEERS (note my startled noise and flail at the beginning)

Spoiler

Spoiler

I fucking love this band.

• Cob likes this

Cob

Cob
  • Dominated Love Slave

• 3,018 posts
  • Joined Oct 05, 2012
  • 2,586 rep

I got tickets to all 4 Chicago. I couldn't decide at first where of the 3 places I wanted to go, but then I realised it's the home-town shows. Plus I've never been to Chicago... there's also a nice-looking cheap hostel down the road from the venue, and it's a week after my birthday. Couldn't be better, I'm SO excited! I've only seen Trio at festivals or as a support band, these will be my first headliner shows!

I fucking love this band.

I wasn't able to get tickets as I didn't know if I would be able to head down to LA for the weekend. I hope there's a blu-ray or dvd release of some sort. 

• Heisenberg likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users