Sign in to follow this  
Guest n1i0m3r9od

Slipknot

Slipknot  

280 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

bollard_11

The new album is absolutely brilliant. Seeing them in January with Becca :)

• Like 2

That Dude

I like them. Vol. 3 is one of my favorite albums. All Hope is Gone has a lot of really great songs on it, and the other albums have some highlights as well. Trying to get into the new album, but it's difficult. A lot of sludgy-sounds. Maybe half good/half bad.

So after listening to the album non-stop for nearly a week, I've changed my opinion. Hey, it happens. I remember my first listen to American Idiot and thinking "what a let down". and that is now my favorite album of all time. .5 The Gray Chapter took me about 4 listens all the way through to get into. I felt like every song took too long to get going, and none of them really jumped out at me. Now I can listen to the whole album, and not hit skip on any of them, although I do have some definite favorites and do hit fast forward on some of the songs with 2:00 minute+ intros.

AOV is probably my favorite, while Killpop, Lech are my least favorites. Be Prepared for Hell isn't a song, it's just talking. The bonus tracks on disc two I'm not sure about, as I haven't given them much ear-time. I might do that now.

Edited by thatdude03

Maid Meringue

I love .5: The Gray Chapter. It's probably one of 3 artists that I've listened to for the last couple months.
I'd like to touch on Custer because upon hearing it for the first few times, many people just kind of brush it off as a brutish, cliche song about people beating each other senseless.
To me, it's kind of about how ignorant people try to define him and his work without properly taking the time to understand where it all comes from.
I personally love this song, because I anticipate the complete debauchery that will ensue when this song is played live. A bit scary, honestly. But I feel the same rush of adrenaline as those who will be in the midst of probably a very gnarly GA section.

from rock.genus.com, a fan left this comment. I'm not too sure how valid it is, but I do like a little history lesson regardless:

"George Armstrong Custer was a Civil War hero and subsequently a ruthless Indian fighter after the Civil War. His legacy is very controversial, and he has been charged with war crimes of massacring Indian women and children. When he came upon a Sioux village at Little Bighorn, he was told to wait for support to attack the village. He instead attacked the village in spite of his commanders and went with his men to attack the village in three groups from three different ways. Unbeknownst to him, the village contained about 2,500 Indian warriors while Custer only had 300. The first two groups were driven to retreat, and Custer’s group was quickly surrounded. Custer ordered his men to shoot their horses to provide cover with the carcasses, but the group along with Custer was completely annihilated within the hour. I think the lyrics in this song signify Custer’s masochism and cruelty."

• Like 1

kaylubd

I love .5: The Gray Chapter. It's probably one of 3 artists that I've listened to for the last couple months.

I'd like to touch on Custer because upon hearing it for the first few times, many people just kind of brush it off as a brutish, cliche song about people beating each other senseless.

To me, it's kind of about how ignorant people try to define him and his work without properly taking the time to understand where it all comes from.

I personally love this song, because I anticipate the complete debauchery that will ensue when this song is played live. A bit scary, honestly. But I feel the same rush of adrenaline as those who will be in the midst of probably a very gnarly GA section.

from rock.genus.com, a fan left this comment. I'm not too sure how valid it is, but I do like a little history lesson regardless:

"George Armstrong Custer was a Civil War hero and subsequently a ruthless Indian fighter after the Civil War. His legacy is very controversial, and he has been charged with war crimes of massacring Indian women and children. When he came upon a Sioux village at Little Bighorn, he was told to wait for support to attack the village. He instead attacked the village in spite of his commanders and went with his men to attack the village in three groups from three different ways. Unbeknownst to him, the village contained about 2,500 Indian warriors while Custer only had 300. The first two groups were driven to retreat, and Custer’s group was quickly surrounded. Custer ordered his men to shoot their horses to provide cover with the carcasses, but the group along with Custer was completely annihilated within the hour. I think the lyrics in this song signify Custer’s masochism and cruelty."

First...I love your avatar! Metalocalypse FTW!

Second, the album is great. Slipknot really outdid themselves and I think it's because they went back to music when they were ready rather than listening to labels and others telling them they have to return sooner. And Custer is one of my favorite songs. As soon as I heard it I thought it was amazing. Honestly, I think this is one of my favorite albums of the year and it's rekindled my love for Slipknot.

Maid Meringue

Honestly, I think this is one of my favorite albums of the year and it's rekindled my love for Slipknot.

I agree, it's probably one of 3 albums that I listen to at all lately. And yeah I agree, it appears to have that "we're taking back what's ours and doing it the way we want" theme throughout.

I think my favorite on this album is Override. It's really disappointing that they didn't put it on the regular record, but thank god for Spotify lol.

• Like 1

Maid Meringue

Killpop

Hey can I pick your brain for a second?

(I dont know anyone else who likes Slipknot so it's refreshing to hear someone else's opinion)

On SiriusXM a couple weeks ago, Corey introduced this song by saying that it is about The Music Industry. As in, he has personified the industry.

I'm having trouble weaving that into the song's lyrics. Do you have any ideas? Prior to that information, it almost sounded as if it could be a Vermillion part 3

GugsGreenDay

:D

GugsGreenDay

Fucking!!!!!!

• Like 1

T.C

They were pretty good at soundwave

Maid Meringue

My boyfriend was surprisingly really into them, and he got me hooked. I saw them live at Rockville festival front row with him in April and I pretty much cried through most of it (mostly because my body was being crushed against the barrier and people were being flung onto my head). I can't wait to see them again! 

Edited by Maid Meringue
awkward moment when you post the same shit 10 months later lol

Beathe.

Seeing them in February. :) 

bollard_11

Tempted to go up to Belfast if they dont announce a Dublin show. .. .  

Beathe.

I saw that they had m&g tickets. Like what. I would have been horrified. :lol: 

I don't like the venue they'll play at in London (Alexandra Palace), but I'll make it work somehow. :) 

Marc.

It's been over 7 years since I last posted on GDA and that was here in the Slipknot thread.

I'll be seeing them for the 5th time next week in Brisbane, I ended up getting early entry tickets because fuck lining up & extra things are always nice, I hoped for a meet & greet package just so I could thank Jim & Corey for the birthday wishes they gave me on a poster a friend got signed for me from most of the band at their 2015 London gig. Ha.

But I can't wait, since it's been a good 6 months since I went to a gig, which was Iron Maiden back in May. Support acts are a little eh, but Lamb of God are better than Machinehead like it was on their last headline tour in '08. Also the local support for the tour is a band from my area (In Hearts Wake) & their bass player/secondary vocalist is an old mate of mine from high school, glad to see them getting that sort of recognition. I'm not into their style of music but I wanna see them succeed.

kaylubd

Holy shit this thread needs a bump. Who has been listening to the new album? It's fucking stellar. It amazes me that with all the hardships this band has been through, losing three OG members, they still knock it out of the park. It's like nothing can keep them down. 

This was my most anticipated album of 2019 and I'm so happy to not only have it be amazing but have it get stellar reviews from critics and fans alike. It's so good, I can't really name what song would be my favorite. I love "Solwayfirth," but I'm really feeling "Spiders," "Birth of Cruel" and "Nero Forte."

That Dude
On 8/13/2019 at 1:00 PM, kaylubd said:

Holy shit this thread needs a bump. Who has been listening to the new album? It's fucking stellar. It amazes me that with all the hardships this band has been through, losing three OG members, they still knock it out of the park. It's like nothing can keep them down. 

This was my most anticipated album of 2019 and I'm so happy to not only have it be amazing but have it get stellar reviews from critics and fans alike. It's so good, I can't really name what song would be my favorite. I love "Solwayfirth," but I'm really feeling "Spiders," "Birth of Cruel" and "Nero Forte."

Yes, a big bump!   I can see my post from 2014 in this thread on the newest page and that's pathetic!  Guess Green Day fans aren't typically Slipknot fans?  

We are Not Your Kind is growing on me and I'm starting to find the ones I love best.  But just like their last album, the interludes and instrumentals really get in the way of enjoying it.  I just might make my own mix that removes "Insert Coin", "Death because" and "what's next".   I'm on the fence about "My Pain".  currently think it's kind of lame.  The other 10 songs are really good and it looks like we have the same tracks that we both really like.   

They try out lots of new sounds on this record and overall it's pretty bold.   But even on the songs I enjoy, there are parts that drag.  The dynamic of loud and soft is a must in music, and I love the heck out of the softer Slipknot but on this record it's more like silence.   Some tracks just seem to cut out and sputter for minutes at a time, which takes me out of the moment. 

But again, a very good album.  Slipknot are one of my favorite bands and have become one of the few that make me want to run to the store and pick up an album instead of downloading or streaming.   I actually heard Clown talking about how initially there wasn't going to be a physical release (I dread the day when CDs are finally dead) and he put up his own money to make sure it got made.   That's pretty cool.  

Like Green Day, Slipknot seem to have a genuine spiritual connection to the music they make.  They really freaking care about what they do.  

• Like 1

kaylubd

Normally, I don't like interludes because they interrupt the flow, as you said. On their last album they were really distracting, but on this one I find they fit very well. I don't mind listening to them and for me, they're at least short enough and interesting enough to make me play them instead of skipping them. I don't really have an opinion on "My Pain." It's all right - I wouldn't say it's a stand out track. I do like how Slipknot really took to trying new things out there and for the most part it really works. I love seeing their dynamic of soft, quiet moments and loud, raging moments.

I'm glad they were able to get a CD release out! But anyone who wants to get it from Amazon be warned. There are two CD versions listed and one of them is Made on Demand by Amazon. And they've done a piss poor job of it. The booklet is messed up, it's missing logos, and even the band name is missing on the cover. So, if you're looking to get it from them, lookout for a small note that says "this item is MOD by Amazon."

I honestly don't get why they did this. It's not like the CD wasn't get a wide, physical release. And Corey even addressed it on Twitter and said he didn't know they were sending those versions out. It just baffles me. Usually, MOD is reserved for things that didn't get a wide release. Why the hell would you do it with a highly anticipated album with a huge act like Slipknot? 

• Like 1

That Dude
On 8/15/2019 at 11:25 AM, kaylubd said:

Normally, I don't like interludes because they interrupt the flow, as you said. On their last album they were really distracting, but on this one I find they fit very well. I don't mind listening to them and for me, they're at least short enough and interesting enough to make me play them instead of skipping them. I don't really have an opinion on "My Pain." It's all right - I wouldn't say it's a stand out track. I do like how Slipknot really took to trying new things out there and for the most part it really works. I love seeing their dynamic of soft, quiet moments and loud, raging moments.

I'm glad they were able to get a CD release out! But anyone who wants to get it from Amazon be warned. There are two CD versions listed and one of them is Made on Demand by Amazon. And they've done a piss poor job of it. The booklet is messed up, it's missing logos, and even the band name is missing on the cover. So, if you're looking to get it from them, lookout for a small note that says "this item is MOD by Amazon."

I honestly don't get why they did this. It's not like the CD wasn't get a wide, physical release. And Corey even addressed it on Twitter and said he didn't know they were sending those versions out. It just baffles me. Usually, MOD is reserved for things that didn't get a wide release. Why the hell would you do it with a highly anticipated album with a huge act like Slipknot? 

I preordered from Amazon, but then ran out and bought a copy from Target.  Before returning the amazon version, I compared the two cds as best I could without breaking the seal.  They look different!   Fonts are different color, the bar codes in different spots.  The amazon version does not have a warning label on it, the color of the booklet is off and the white frame around the album is much bigger on the amazon one.  Weird.   

I'm keeping my Target version and mailing the Amazon one back.