Green Day's bad PR

Fuzz

Totally agree with that. If people think they're getting overplayed, well turn off the damn radio! Think they're overdoing it with all the merchandise?? Who cares! Don't buy it! It's the music that's important, and as long as they keep making great music, i don't give a fuck about the rest.

:thumbsup: ditto!!! who gives a shit about all of the hype and crap. the day billie and co start caring about what the mindless masses think is the day GD die! its all about the music!! :thumbsup:

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My post mainly adressed what people were saying about the potential American Idiot movie on the first few pages, and their mechendise. I know those subjects have been dropped for the most part, I have to say what I want to say or I'll just think about it forever.

I think that if they do make the movie it will be brilliant. Not because I just assume that if it's Green Day it's great, but from the few things I've read in which they talk about the concept of a movie, they seem to genuinly want to do it. And if American Idiot the album (or any of their older albums for that matter) taught us anything, it's that when they set their minds to something it's going to get done and it's going to be exactly how they want it to be. I think the album's story is a great one, and I have no problem imagining that story as a film. It's got everything a good movies needs, and that's emotion. And as much as I love music, there is that effect that film has on people of being able to convey emotion in a way nothing else can. If they don't do the movie it's no great loss because we don't know what we'd be missing. But if they do make it, I look at it as just another great creation of Green Day's ambition that has gotten them this far in their career. Even if it gets made and flops, it will still have been an amazing acheivment for them. Not every band can write a story good enough to be a film.

As for the mechandise, I think you a lot of you are over reacting. I realize their merch can be a tad on the cheesy side, but to me it's all in good fun. When I see a huge selection of Green Day shirts at Hot Topic it makes me happy. Why? Because that means I get to buy them and wear a shirt of my favorite band. When I see heart grenade boxers it makes me laugh. Although I must admit my first reaction was "What the fuck? Boxers?" I then remembered who we fans are dealing with. As mature and dramatic and wonderful as AI was, Green Day have been goof off's from the very begining, and although they take their music very seriously, since when have they ever taken themselves seriously? My point being, I like the merch. But I also like hearing Green Day songs being played on the radio everyday. I like turning on MTV and seeing one of their music videos. And I like the American Idiot era. Billie Joe has said many times that these were the best two years of their career as a band, and all you have to do is watch them play live to know that they're having a great time. And that, as a fan, makes me very happy. "Teenies" be damned, why should I let anyone else compromise my love for the band? I don't give a shit who else likes them, because I do.

As for their their bad PR, I understand why they are getting it. Not everyone likes seeing Green Day slaped on every t-shirt, poster and magazine, hearing their songs being played on the radio daily, or seeing their videos all over MTV and VH1. People get tired of things they see all the time, so of course the more Green Day is in the spotlight, the more people are going to be tired of them. But the fact of the matter is Green Day was and is very popular... they are indeed getting some bad PR, and they will indeed fade out of the public eye. But years passed between Dookie and American Idiot where even though they weren't the biggest band in the world but still put out some of the best damn records I've ever heard. And as much as I enjoyed seeing my favorite group of guys being the biggest band in the world, a lot of people aren't anymore... But a lot people are stupid.

I can just imagine when we're older and green day are still going hard and i will think back to "The Teenie era". it shall go down in history. I hate how far this has come.

I can just imagine when we're older and green day are still going hard and i will think back to "The Teenie era". it shall go down in history. I hate how far this has come.

yeah, it will... but green day is always going to be getting new fans now, and we don't know what they will come out with soon. will it be like AI? will it be different? we don't know until we eventually hear it.

^I agree with you 100% on every point you made.

(^^directed to "2 Dollar Billie"^^)

lol, thanks.

i say as long as they are good musciains and make amazing music, ill be a fan.

(^^directed to "2 Dollar Billie"^^)

Thank you. :happy:

warner bros have taken things to far; for example with the dean grey thing, and not letting people watch the jos video on most sites.

this may sound mean, but im hoping in a way that it will backfire to a certain extent- but only enough to sort out the real fans from the teenies and copycats.

the thing with teh jos vid i think they might get them selves into trouble i mean if the band say they want it so anyone can see it with having to pay i think they could be sued for that by the band if its breach of contract

i think warner have over stepped the mark but in the end its all about the music and I'll always be a Green Day fan no matter what :thumbsup:

Not that anyone is gonig to read this or care what i say but

I love Green Day till the day i day, They are my everything

From Dookie to American Idiot, They have never changed, They are still the same as Billie-Joe has said 'You have to make a few changes to be the worlds bigest band, But no matter what we are still the same'

I think people should stop baging American Idiot out and saying they have changed, It is still them they are just going a bit past their confort zone

but i'm glad it happened coz i wouldn't of heard of green day otherwise but it pisses me off now

*snigger*

I think green day got voted worst band in ultimate guitar because a lot of those people who vote are ignorant metal heads. If you're not playing 1000 chords per second, you're crap. They voted Green Day worst band because their songs are easy to play (although I wish I could play :P).

I don't care what other people say though, I know I'll always love them.

Archived