Green Day's bad PR

Fuzz

What do you guys think about all the bad PR (public relations) the guys have lately? I mean the Ultimate Guitar thing voting them worst band, I just got an email saying that "Music of the World" Magazine from Australia named Green Day "Sellouts of '05". Lots of their older fans saying they've pushed it too far.

Do you think they'll be able to put out more stuff without people already being tired of them? I remember earlier this year we all talked about the chance that Warner was going to ride GD's popularity too much and it would backfire on them. I think we can safely say thats happening.

I know we've had constant threads debating wether or not they've sold out, but i'm just wondering what do you guys think Green Day should not have done? What do you think they might have overdone?

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

warner bros have taken things to far; for example with the dean grey thing, and not letting people watch the jos video on most sites.

this may sound mean, but im hoping in a way that it will backfire to a certain extent- but only enough to sort out the real fans from the teenies and copycats.

it's just there always in your face, it's kinda like when dookie first came out but ten times worse with ai.

if selling out exists, then green day have. personally i hate the term, and dont call anyone it. but if you dont think green day are sellouts, you better not call another band one. warner bros took it way out of control. the underwear, the 7 shirts or something at hot topic. but GD has no control over that. the adeline clothes thing dissapointed me tho.

and all this started to make me think....is it strange that im worshiping 3 guys that ive never talked to, and are probly nothing like i think in real life? Its making me rethink the whole thing.

i love fucking green day to death but im not being funny they are dragging(sp?)

the american idiot phase a bit to much now.

What do you guys think about all the bad PR (public relations) the guys have lately? I mean the Ultimate Guitar thing voting them worst band, I just got an email saying that "Music of the World" Magazine from Australia named Green Day "Sellouts of '05". Lots of their older fans saying they've pushed it too far.

Do you think they'll be able to put out more stuff without people already being tired of them? I remember earlier this year we all talked about the chance that Warner was going to ride GD's popularity too much and it would backfire on them. I think we can safely say thats happening.

I know we've had constant threads debating wether or not they've sold out, but i'm just wondering what do you guys think Green Day should not have done? What do you think they might have overdone?

i'm glad the ai era is ending....

i'm not really sure what to think since we don't know what exactly is the truth behind the whole controversy. i had an argument with my brother on this topic and it just made me realize how ignorant these people are that call them sellouts.

I agree that this Green Day era hit everyone hard, very "in the face" as has been said. But all in all, it was good for the group and will ultimately attract more people the next time they release/do something, despite the possible increase of those who are tired of them. Don't you think?

same, its kinda like the end of the era of the teenie. (or at least i hope so!)

but i'm glad it happened coz i wouldn't of heard of green day otherwise but it pisses me off now

I wouldn't call them sell outs, but I do agree they are kind of dragging ai out (like everyone else has said)... am I the only one who thinks the movie is a bad idea?

but the question is...is it too late? i mean, sum 41 have moved on to more metalish stuff, which would normal be love by older, anti-teenie fans. but no one will ever forget all killer no filler. same thing for AI, but way worse. the movie would ruin em. i dont think its gonna happen tho. i just hope not.

the whole touring with my chemical romance, jimmy eat world, and new found glory thing was just throwing more shit on the fire. they turned down Bad Religion instantly when they asked GD to tour with em, and yes that really happened recently. Even 6 months ago or so i knew they were huge, but its dragged out way over a fucking year. in dookie time they already had a new album out by now, this is nothing like that.

if you think the whole green day worse band and sellout thing is bad you guys should read the green day reviews on "vampirefreaks" it's old but it's not that great and all of them are bad. Besides green day get dissed every hour of a day, not everyone has to like green day :rolleyes: .

I wouldn't call them sell outs, but I do agree they are kind of dragging ai out (like everyone else has said)... am I the only one who thinks the movie is a bad idea?

no i agree with you on that one. ok the story would be good but to make a film i think and i dont mean this horribly green day are getting a bit greedy and are trying to get all the money they can from the ai phase

but i'm glad it happened coz i wouldn't of heard of green day otherwise but it pisses me off now

that made me laugh so hard. you're such a hypocrite.

My personal impression has been that Green Day's gone along with the "milking" of American Idiot because they recorded not only something that they were proud of, but also a really good album, and they wanted people to know it (I'm basing this mostly off of old interviews from last year, around the release of AI).

I do agree though, that some (okay, a lot) of the merchandise compromises the integrity of American Idiot, as well as the message that it sends out. I'm not really sure who decides what products are going to be manufactured, but I would have liked to see some more creative items being sold, in lieu of Green Day shoes and boxer shorts. I'd still like to see a St. Jimmy's medallion, and a t-shirt that says, "WWJOSD?"... :dry:

As for the movie, I would've much preferred that AI be transposed into a musical. Although I know that Billie Joe has said it won't happen, I think it has much more potential on stage than on screen.

no i agree with you on that one. ok the story would be good but to make a film i think and i dont mean this horribly green day are getting a bit greedy and are trying to get all the money they can from the ai phase

yeah that's what i think, don't hate me but when they first said they might be doing a film, i seriously thought it MIGHT be cool, but that was way before they started releasing all these hits and being in your face all the time :dry:

I still like them, but i've lost a bit of respect for them though...

I'm glad it's ending (AI era). I think they really have drawn this out way too much. It's just too much. Seeing them everywhere, they're dragging it all out.

I think the Ai movie would be alright as long as they don't use really well known actors in it. That'd just ruin it

i think the ai movie is gonna suck. with no offence to green day, i can't see any way that it could not suck.

yeah totally i mean it's not like green day are actually gonna be in it. I'm waiting for live freaky die freaky it's gonna be so cool, that's the movie i'm watching for sure :woot:

blvd of broken dreams and wake me up ruined it all. Cus i really didnt care about the whole sellout thing, cus they were different then all the trendy emo bands out there(fallout boy, hawthorne heights, alkeline trio, mcr, etc). and they always had that, but now its like....i look at all these people sigs and its all closeups of billie joe with black shit all over his face saying "the innocent can never last", and their logo is a bloody heart, and the adeline logo is some heart skull, just like alkeline trio. and my new worry is that maybe theyre starting to join the whole emo trend thing. i dont care if theyre popular for the pop punk theyve always made, but if they get popular for emo crap......i donno.

it also just really gets me that, when green day were really unpopular back before dookie, bad religion took them out on tour(who were very populara the time), with no real benefit for bad religion and got em known by lots, and now bad religion wants them to do the same, and they refused to return the favor. i mean, turning down the gods of punk revival for new found fucking glory and blink and whoever. and why did they tour with blink after they made it clear that they really dislike them? and that WASNT the record company.

It also just really gets me that, when green day were really unpopular back before dookie, bad religion took them out on tour and got em known by lots, and now bad religion wants them to do the same, and they refused to return the favor. and that WASNT the record company.

I didn't even know about that... ouch. That was pretty lame of them.

i'm just hoping all this media attention will die down soon, it's ridiculous.

"Billie Joe uses public toilet" omg!? If Billie uses public toilets maybe i should! It's completely out of hand. The merchendise just went too far, what happened to having to look pretty hard to get a green day t-shirt in a store? Now they're every fucking where. Uncontrollable. Hopefully, this is just a passing phase and, i hate to say this but i hope their next album is a flop compared to american idiot, just so things can go back to some form of normality.

blvd of broken dreams and wake me up ruined it all. Cus i really didnt care about the whole sellout thing, cus they were different then all the trendy emo bands out there(fallout boy, hawthorne heights, alkeline trio, mcr, etc). and they always had that, but now its like....i look at all these people sigs and its all closeups of billie joe with black shit all over his face saying "the innocent can never last", and their logo is a bloody heart, and the adeline logo is some heart skull, just like alkeline trio. and my new worry is that maybe theyre starting to join the whole emo trend thing. i dont care if theyre popular for the pop punk theyve always made, but if they get popular for emo crap......i donno.

it also just really gets me that, when green day were really unpopular back before dookie, bad religion took them out on tour and got em known by lots, and now bad religion wants them to do the same, and they refused to return the favor. and that WASNT the record company.

yeah i heard that, green day have always been in it for themselves :/ thats the way they are..

I didn't even know about that... ouch. That was pretty lame of them.

that was harsh, i lost some of my respect for them when i read that

Archived