What Green Day used to be

cabot_girl

Uh Uh...it's not a marketing scam. It's because they song's are hot...they're requested by tons of fans out there...that's why the songs and videos are constantly played. Besides, there were tons of fans before American Idiot came out...and after it came out, the fan count could only increase.

why do you say "could only increase"....how did you possibly know the album was going to be a success...shit even the band didn't know.

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply

why does it even matter how popular they are? u don't need to listen to the radio or watch the tv when u don't whant to see it. u can ignore all the new little fans they got. its just about the music and AI is a good album. GD are not the only rock band that is popular right now. all kind of rock, metal, gothic music started to become very popular in the last year, but its just a phase that will go away one day. ( ok maybe this doesn't go with the topic so sorry :P)

i just want to say that i don't believe their philosophy changed. they just got older and don't want to act like teenager, they started to dress different so what ? would u want to see a 33 old man be dreesed the way they were before? and they also didn't plan to have so much succes with this album, but they got it and they love their time so just let them. if u are a fan u will enjoy their music and concerts and thats it.

thats from me :) sorry for my bad grammar :)

Everyone grows up, people. Green Day just happened to do that, so get over it.

EDIT: Hmm. The video is titled "Green Day MinorityBeforeTrendy Now Part 2". They were just as trendy in 1994! How do you think the old fans knew who they were?

This is fucking stupid.

Jesus...

AMEN! AMEN TO THAT! I agree with everything Andres said

Suck up :P

I would say that the video wont work on my computer and Come on Eileen makes it difficult for to take anything of what you said serious.

why does it even matter how popular they are? u don't need to listen to the radio or watch the tv when u don't whant to see it. u can ignore all the new little fans they got. its just about the music and AI is a good album. GD are not the only rock band that is popular right now. all kind of rock, metal, gothic music started to become very popular in the last year, but its just a phase that will go away one day. ( ok maybe this doesn't go with the topic so sorry :P)

i just want to say that i don't believe their philosophy changed. they just got older and don't want to act like teenager, they started to dress different so what ? would u want to see a 33 old man be dreesed the way they were before? and they also didn't plan to have so much succes with this album, but they got it and they love their time so just let them. if u are a fan u will enjoy their music and concerts and thats it.

thats from me :) sorry for my bad grammar :)

you know...honestly, I don't give a shit if they wore what they used to wear....what the fuck is up with all these fashionable people caring what they wear?....So you would of not liked them if they wore would they used to wear before they got all matching attire? Would would you say if they changed there clothing style at the age of 29 when Warning came out? Would of of said..."There 29 now they have grown up, at this stage of theri life they can't go on dressing like that anymore?

Why can't people wear what they want and not give a shit about what people think of them?...The fact that Green Day wear some color scheme is rediculuos and says to be that they like fashion now and they have lost their philosophies?

How can you be such a....how do I put this...a stuck up fashion fuck...who are you to say that at the age of 33....not 32....not 34......only 33...that thats when you should stop wearing whatever the fuck you want and wear things that are more aaccepting to mass appeal?

EDIT: Hmm. The video is titled "Green Day MinorityBeforeTrendy Now Part 2". They were just as trendy in 1994! How do you think the old fans knew who they were?

This is fucking stupid.

Jesus...

Bumping this for emphasis.

why do you say "could only increase"....how did you possibly know the album was going to be a success...shit even the band didn't know.

Ok, fine...my bad...but with Green Day's calibre, you would be sure they would hit back really hard after Warning.

This is fucking stupid.

Jesus...

NOOOOOO...trendy themselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and plus don't give me that bullshit... you know as well as I do it was way different in 1994?..how the hell can you compare those two time periods...Atleast in 1994 they didn't give a fuck who bought their album, what their wore, or what they said. They were still a punk rock band..but damn MTV kille dtheir music...The first time I heard Green Day was Dookie I was at my fri3ends house, and I listended to it. I would go over to his house every time ans listen to it..then I bought it a year later or so, even after their popularity died...besides Insimniac is the best record in the world...so it doens't matter......but I was in fourth grade, had only little knoledge of music..I liked stuff like The Eages, Aerosmith, The Beach Boys, and some Baetles stuff...I had no knowledge of MTV really, and or maintream music...I think like Matchbox 20 and like Barenaked Ladies is all I really knew of huge successful bands back then...sure I heard some stuff, but I only started to notice MTV around like 5th or 6th grade. Im sory I wasn't born in Oakland like 7 years earlier....this is crap anyway....I am an old soul inside...I hate all new music.....NOTING IS GOOD THAT IS NEW...NOTHING. If was in with the early days of Green Day I would have been to like every show.

The blowing up of AI is sonsiderably different in many ways...just read my other posts if your want....You don't have too. You probably got to personal with this subject..and now your mad(because your sick of these topics....plus your probably a little bit in denial) and you probably won't read them..Im sorry a back up what I say...unlike many people who are on here.

Ok, fine...my bad...but with Green Day's calibre, you would be sure they would hit back really hard after Warning.

no...I really wouldn't know..they are actually pretty flaky when it comes to having huge mainstream success....I wish it was never mainstream...whatever though. Thats just me talkin out-loud.

NOOOOOO...trendy themselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and plus don't give me that bullshit... you know as well as I do it was way different in 1994?..how the hell can you compare those two time periods...Atleast in 1994 they didn't give a fuck who bought their album, what their wore, or what they said. They were still a punk rock band..but damn MTV kille dtheir music...The first time I heard Green Day was Dookie I was at my fri3ends house, and I listended to it. I would go over to his house every time ans listen to it..then I bought it a year later or so, even after their popularity died...besides Insimniac is the best record in the world...so it doens't matter......but I was in fourth grade, had only little knoledge of music..I liked stuff like The Eages, Aerosmith, The Beach Boys, and some Baetles stuff...I had no knowledge of MTV really, and or maintream music...I think like Matchbox 20 and like Barenaked Ladies is all I really knew of huge successful bands back then...sure I heard some stuff, but I only started to notice MTV around like 5th or 6th grade. Im sory I wasn't born in Oakland like 7 years earlier....this is crap anyway....I am an old soul inside...I hate all new music.....NOTING IS GOOD THAT IS NEW...NOTHING. If was in with the early days of Green Day I would have been to like every show.

The blowing up of AI is sonsiderably different in many ways...just read my other posts if your want....You don't have too. You probably got to personal with this subject..and now your mad(because your sick of these topics....plus your probably a little bit in denial) and you probably won't read them..Im sorry a back up what I say...unlike many people who are on here.

no...I really wouldn't know..they are actually pretty flaky when it comes to having huge mainstream success....I wish it was never mainstream...whatever though. Thats just me talkin out-loud.

Okay, you have wayyyyyy too much free time. Go take a fucking Keyboarding class for that wretched typing.

Who cares who liked them then and who likes them now? I happen to be a veteran fan from 1994 myself, too. But I guess you wouldn't consider me a true fan, because I first saw them at Woodstock on PayPerView, which is obviously too trendy for you.

:down:

so now its green days fault how the music industry is run? You never answered my question, I am very curious to know what you would do if you were in their shoes? They cant help that they got huge, and the music industry is the way it is.

And you were a huge fan when dookie came out. Lets see, you are 19 yrs old and dookie came out 11yrs ago. So You were a massive fan at the age of 8. Thats impressive.

Okay, you have wayyyyyy too much free time. Go take a fucking Keyboarding class for that wretched typing.

Who cares who liked them then and who likes them now? I happen to be a veteran fan from 1994 myself, too. But I guess you wouldn't consider me a true fan, because I first saw them at Woodstock on PayPerView, which is obviously too trendy for you.

:down:

no..um, actually that would of been fuckin sweet to go to...but, yeah it being on paid perveiw....pretty weird ass.....I guess you could ay the band got big after that concert, so I don't have a huge problem with that....just the after effect.

I have nothing witty to say, so I'm just gonna say bollocks to that video and the whole 'old days and new fans' thing. If you like the music, you like it.

so now its green days fault how the music industry is run? You never answered my question, I am very curious to know what you would do if you were in their shoes? They cant help that they got huge, and the music industry is the way it is.

And you were a huge fan when dookie came out. Lets see, you are 19 yrs old and dookie came out 11yrs ago. So You were a massive fan at the age of 8. Thats impressive.

lets see...how would I do it.....if I was in there shows...I would say fuck you to the crowds of a billion people...take that stupid eyeliner off my face, go slip on some clothes...for goodness sake. Then me and my band would have discussions about what we are doing....see that maybe we have lost track of our what music is about....its about the music, and stop being pusses too....stop pretending to be so nice...and insult people...say whose a shitty band say fuck you to the camera people that are taking my pictures....and maybe not play for a few years unti the fan fades away...then go back to play smaller crowds of a couple thousand or hundred.

"If you don't want to become a Pop Star, the easiest thing you can do it just stop"

-Johnny Rotten (of the sex pistols)

(quote not accuate but close)

Even though I do not like the sex pistols that much I totally respect this man and what he stands for...and its great becuase he got back to playing concerts again after their mainstream success died out and started to play to crowds that actually cared about the band....had been there for the band, those that understood Mr. Rotten. And if I was a memeber of Green Day, yes this is waht I would do....JUST STOP.

thanks....I never knew I was a massive fan at that age....thats pretty sweet dude, now that I thought about it.

well..Im off to bed. I'll respond when I wake up.

Bollocks. They produce great music. Always have. More mainstream now and some people just say oh well they're sellouts. You people need to get a life.

I read a quote regarding Jonny Rotten. So you want Bj,Mike and Tre to act like him? That is selling out. Being someone else.

All this constant wineing people do using the word sell outs pisses me off. Why do you care who likes them? I love them. To me taht is all that is important but this constant need to slag off success is pathetic. You are the ones with the problem. So get real

you know...honestly, I don't give a shit if they wore what they used to wear....what the fuck is up with all these fashionable people caring what they wear?....So you would of not liked them if they wore would they used to wear before they got all matching attire? Would would you say if they changed there clothing style at the age of 29 when Warning came out? Would of of said..."There 29 now they have grown up, at this stage of theri life they can't go on dressing like that anymore?

Why can't people wear what they want and not give a shit about what people think of them?...The fact that Green Day wear some color scheme is rediculuos and says to be that they like fashion now and they have lost their philosophies?

How can you be such a....how do I put this...a stuck up fashion fuck...who are you to say that at the age of 33....not 32....not 34......only 33...that thats when you should stop wearing whatever the fuck you want and wear things that are more aaccepting to mass appeal?

maybe they like what they wear ? maybe they don't want to walk around in the same clouths like they used to ... are they bad people bacause of that? BJ said he wants to be a grown up, he has a family, he has children he is not a young guy like he was before. just because they changed a bit can not mean they sold out. if u are a real fan u are going to be happy if they are happy. and it looks like they are ! they like that there music touches many people, they love to play big shows, so just deal with it.

if I had a penny for every time someonesaid that repititious line, I would have like a billion of them...the fact that you close yourself off to comparing things with dookie seems to me like your not a very open minded Green Day fan. So let me get this straight.....when they were all 29 (Warning) you considered them to be doing Dookie stuff?? and acting like teenagers....why must people shallow themselves to this Dookie era of there carear...why is that so ridicuosly important to people...NO SHIT THATS WHEN THEY GOT BIG....don't give me that line. They have played punk rock for 15 years, and now all of the sudden.."oh...hey guys lets make something that everyone will like...lets try to be great rock stars and forget our past completely" Are you also trying to say that they didn't give a shit about their family and marrige before American Idiot?...and or about politics and such? I hope not! ...what the fuck is up with that....you do know he let Addriene and his son go along with them on the Nimrod tour I beleive. Is that caring?....I believe that is.

you know what makes me laugh...this quote "dookie style songs"

makes me think you don't have a clue that they had previos albums...why couldn't you have said 1039 Smoothed Out Slappy hous type songs...or Sweet Children type of songs....who are you to label their style as Dookie style...no..shame on you....there is no such thing as "Dookie" style...there is Green Day style....now that I can relate to, but the fact that you shoved this Dooke BULLSHIT in my face.. its just errie and insulting to the bands efferts in their later albums in their carear...they have always tried to make different punk styles of musis and not try t copy anything...especially this "Dookie" type ou talk about.

lol...i love that picture of the emo kid.....ITS BILLIE EVERYONE THE EMO KID...good stuff...everything in that video is so true too.

lol...i love that picture of the emo kid.....ITS BILLIE EVERYONE THE EMO KID...good stuff...everything in that video is so true too.

that is what is so predictable..RIGHT THERE....putting his fucking hands down his pants for the enjoyment of thousands of little girls.

You totally got that the wrong way - I should have written - IF- right in front of my post!

I thought the IRONY in my post was quite clear!

My point was they DIDn´t cling to there style, they changed and therfore they are NOT sellouts - they would have been for me IF they had done those things.

I thought it to be very easy to see,that there are NOT like THAT!

Point to be made: changing doesn´t mean selling out!

Green day is awesome. If they changed their beliefs from 10-15-20 yrs ago who gives a shit? I mean come on Green DAY never played to become famous, But they are now. They can't help it. Promoting their merch and their look is something they have to do because thjeir contract says so. The good thing is that this time around Green Day is enjoying every minute of their well deserved success which they did not do when they had this success in 94 with Dookie. Which is actually pretty punk, because in 94 they hated it and were very worried about what their friends and fans thought and now they dont give a shit.

So why have Billie always said they've always wanted to be the biggest band on the planet?

You totally got that the wrong way - I should have written - IF- right in front of my post!

I thought the IRONY in my post was quite clear!

My point was they DIDn´t cling to there style, they changed and therfore they are NOT sellouts - they would have been for me IF they had done those things.

I thought it to be very easy to see,that there are NOT like THAT!

What are they going to do? Try to get less fans, and make some crappy music so that they aren't that popular anymore..? :huh:

What really bothers me about new Green Day is that they are soooo predictable. Where's the fun in that? We all know what they will wear, which song they'll play on Conan, when in Hitchin' a ride Billie puts his hands down his pants.

Yeah, well. That is true. I would like to see something... different sometimes. It's not like they can't do it. I doubt they are afraid to do something different or crazy either.

Or maybe they just like being predictable, who knows.

Brennan sure has a lot of extra time.. That song playing when they were showing the different merchandise was getting annoying.

This might be the wrong place to post this link, but it says everything I've meant the last year and a half about Green Day!!

They used to be (my opinion) great individuals, now they are....I don't know..

Please look at this video. I guess it's adressing old fans, like myself!

http://www.youtube.com/watch.php?v=IXIHFZW...2green%20day%22

i saw that it hasn't changed my mind about green day

What are they going to do? Try to get less fans, and make some crappy music so that they aren't that popular anymore..? :huh:

wait til the next album. this debate in this thread wont exist anymore.

If they were trying to make a point, they failed miserably.

Thanks for the link though. They showed some pictures I’ve never seen before. :D

"If you don't want to become a Pop Star, the easiest thing you can do it just stop"

-Johnny Rotten (of the sex pistols)

(quote not accuate but close)

Johnny Rotten is a fucking idiot.

Archived