What do you expect for the next Green Day album?

legendary

Personally, I think Green Day needs to recording a new concept album. 

RevRad was safe zone, FOAM a bunch of songs without purpose, no mention about what trilogy was... for me, they desperately need a direction now. 

How about you guys? 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

I think they have a lot to say that they are sitting on and I think the next album will be great. I don't think it's the right time for another party album, and since they just did one I doubt they will do another this soon. They may do another rock opera/concept album, or they may do another album like Rev Rad, which even though it was "safe" was also a very deep album that spoke about some very heavy things both on a personal level and on a worldly level. I think something like that may be coming again. MM2020II proved they have a lot of deep things on their minds; I think they may take some ideas out of that joking context and write some really brilliant stuff (if they haven't already).

I think we've all lived through (are still living through) a remarkable time in history, and there is still a lot to be said about where we've been (the rise of fascism, white nationalism, BLM,  a working class left behind) and then the pandemic, and what it's going to be like coming out from under all of it, and how we feel about those dark shadows, and the absolute physical and emotional need to just break out, and be free to have fun, socialize, see shows, play music as loud as you can.  There is a cathartic moment that is simmering in everyone, and if they were somehow able to tap into that, well, that would be amazing.  

• Like 3
  • Surprised 1

There's some truly incredible songs on MM2020ii, I'd love to hear Billie try out the Ramones-core kinda style he was writing on that record (Ivankkka, TOR, CUNT, TLM, CITNB, etc.).

I'd also like to think that we're going to get something more grandiose for the next record, since they've always had their fun side projects precede their big statement records (Network 1 / AI; FBHT / 21CB).

But obviously, this is merely speculation

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Herroon said:

There's some truly incredible songs on MM2020ii, I'd love to hear Billie try out the Ramones-core kinda style he was writing on that record (Ivankkka, TOR, CUNT, TLM, CITNB, etc.).

I'd also like to think that we're going to get something more grandiose for the next record, since they've always had their fun side projects precede their big statement records (Network 1 / AI; FBHT / 21CB).

But obviously, this is merely speculation

We got Longshot & Coverups, but then they did FOAM 😂🤔

Just joking

Anyway I like an album like Nimrod in terms of mood.

Did whatever they want and try to fit everything togheter

Would love a more acoustic based album like Warning. Songs like ‘When It’s Time’ ‘Hold On’ and ‘Macy’s Day Parade’.

I’m still REALLY hoping for an album version of ‘Regretfully Yours’. I seriously think that’s one of Billie’s best written songs.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Radiation Field said:

I would love an album filled with Irish punk bangers! Picture Minority and Dirty Rotten on steroids.... The real party album we've always wanted! And then :a tour with Dropkick that can only end with everybody soaked in blood, sweat, and booze. Families reunite, the poverty rate goes down, runaway dogs come home! Songs about girls, gangs, girl gangs, and chaotic ghastly  parties in the moors. 

even if they don't do an irish punk album touring with dropkick still sounds insanely fuuun

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Biddymc said:

I think we've all lived through (are still living through) a remarkable time in history, and there is still a lot to be said about where we've been (the rise of fascism, white nationalism, BLM,  a working class left behind) and then the pandemic, and what it's going to be like coming out from under all of it, and how we feel about those dark shadows, and the absolute physical and emotional need to just break out, and be free to have fun, socialize, see shows, play music as loud as you can.  There is a cathartic moment that is simmering in everyone, and if they were somehow able to tap into that, well, that would be amazing.  

A super duper angry album, not rallied against politics but the troubles of the world at large.    Oh yeah!   That sounds way more exciting than a party record, although I'd be down to party with Green Day again when the time is right.   

And speaking of breaking free, the album could include a cover of Queen's "I Want to Break Free" as well as "Fat Bottom Girls".     Yeehaw! 

American Idiot vibes, but more hard rock and in your face.    

Yes.  

The last interview about new songs that BJ did, sounded good to me:

“With the new stuff that I’m writing, I don’t know – a lot of it is kind of more self-deprecating and funny. Not that I’m doing a comedy record or anything. On one hand it feels autobiographical and funny, but on the other when you look at it you can put a social commentary twist to it.”

https://www.nme.com/news/music/billie-joe-armstrong-on-potential-new-music-im-always-putting-something-together-2823379

It's sounds like about The Network record though. 

6 hours ago, 1039Revolutions said:

Would love a more acoustic based album like Warning. Songs like ‘When It’s Time’ ‘Hold On’ and ‘Macy’s Day Parade’.

I’m still REALLY hoping for an album version of ‘Regretfully Yours’. I seriously think that’s one of Billie’s best written songs.

What is Regretfully Yours?

Just now, Virginia Lot Lizard said:

These Paper Bullets? 

I still want to hear Dreamcatcher and Oh Girl as a released b-side or single or rarity. The stuff he wrong after American Idiot and up until the Longshot that never saw the bright light of day seem really great and top of his game songwriting with lots of feeling and a meaningful storyline. 

Definitely, and Olivia as well. They still have some gems that would only improve with studio versions. There is definitely still hope for Green Day’s best album, if only they’d realized how album worthy their deeper cuts are. 

I don't care what the next album is, as long as its good. FOAM pt. 2 is fine providing the songs are actually listenable. 21st Century Breakdown is probably the last Green Day album that still sounds fresh in 2021. The trilogy, RevRad and especially FOAM have aged like milk as they all have their problems (too many songs; shit production; awful songs).

• Like 2

Either something more acoustic/piano-based or something like Nimrod where it's a low-key grab bag of different sounds.

• Like 1

I would like live series audio from every tour (like fugazi or Pearl Jam), a good project for this times without gigs, and a shenanigans 2 with all b sides and cover songs from 2004 up to now

• Love 1

8 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

What is Regretfully Yours?

A song written by BJ used on These Paper Bullets. It sounds a lot like Brutal Love. 

An album with all known outtakes would be great! We know that the songs used on musicals or movies can be reused on a Green Day record, so it would be cool to hear them in a proper way :)

On 2/15/2021 at 11:47 AM, Radiation Field said:

I would love an album filled with Irish punk bangers! Picture Minority and Dirty Rotten on steroids.... The real party album we've always wanted! And then :a tour with Dropkick that can only end with everybody soaked in blood, sweat, and booze. Families reunite, the poverty rate goes down, runaway dogs come home! Songs about girls, gangs, girl gangs, and chaotic ghastly  parties in the moors. 

You've inadvertantly made some pretty good song titles here.   Got me all tempted to start churning out fake tracklists again, oh boy.    Picture Minority and Dirty Rotten Bastards on Steriods sound like perfect Green Day tunes.   

Dropkick are amazing, although I'm more into Flogging Molly.   Could we have all three?   and Booze, Sweat and Booze isn't nearly as fun as the Green Day title, but hey.    I like this idea.  

• Haha 1

I think we need some kind of sequel to American Idiot. Something that continues the story.... With the ways things have gone in politics the last few years i think the Jesus of suburbia and Saint Jimmy should have their second coming.... or heck maybe go back to  the classic style of dookie or Kerplunk. Maybe finally give us an official release of "Stay" or "Future Old Boy".

Edited by Banjodewulf2247
  • Love 1