Billie on 'No Fun Mondays' NME Interview

jengd

1 hour ago, jengd said:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/billie-joe-armstrong-no-fun-mondays-covers-new-green-day-album-donald-trump-interview-2822521

Fairly brief interview with Billie Joe, just published by NME.  No mention of when they actually spoke but it’s largely about the release of NFM on Friday, no mention of the Network 😉😉 but he says he is writing a lot and it sounded interesting to me.

Just realised, should have marked it an interview I guess.  

So great to see a new interview! 😍

“There was stuff on the last record that was political, like ‘Graffitia’. There’s a certain amount of isolation and feeling paranoid on the last album that fit with where we are as a society. The way we get information is almost like have voices inside your head. With the new stuff that I’m writing, I don’t know – a lot of it is kind of more self-deprecating and funny. Not that I’m doing a comedy record or anything. On one hand it feels autobiographical and funny, but on the other when you look at it you can put a social commentary twist to it.”

This. sounds. amazing 🤩 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I reckon this deserves its own thread so I've split it

Totally does and I just sent a request for you to move my reply from the news thread into here if you wouldn’t mind 🙏

• Hermione changed the title to Billie on 'No Fun Mondays' NME Interview
9 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I reckon this deserves its own thread so I've split it

Didn’t want to start a new album speculation thread 😂😂

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Totally does and I just sent a request for you to move my reply from the news thread into here if you wouldn’t mind 🙏

Oh yeah I would've split it with the OP but I think you posted right as I did it, it's here now

Just now, jengd said:

I put NFM in the title so people don't go crazy lol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, jengd said:

Too late it’s happening. He must be far along and feeling good about things or he wouldn’t have been this specific about the overall tone and direction. It’s exciting 

• Love 1

Just now, Hermione said:

"It’s just one of those songs where you feel like you’re going to lay in all bed to it, you know?” - is that quote correct? :lol: 

Also "I also noticed that I ended up covering a lot of women. Maybe it’s just because my voice is womanly or feminine – I’m not really sure!". He's so sweet haha

😍

2 hours ago, jengd said:

https://www.nme.com/news/music/billie-joe-armstrong-no-fun-mondays-covers-new-green-day-album-donald-trump-interview-2822521

Fairly brief interview with Billie Joe, just published by NME.  No mention of when they actually spoke but it’s largely about the release of NFM on Friday, no mention of the Network 😉😉 but he says he is writing a lot and it sounded interesting to me.

Just realised, should have marked it an interview I guess.  

This made yet another part of my Green Day fandom brain light up.   

I would pay MONEY to see Billie's record collection.   Oh man, I bet it's insane.    

Something I've noticed about bands that I love and that most of the world loves is that they don't listen to their contemporaries.   And i the last 10 years or so, when a rock band or artist is asked specifically what they are listening to at the moment, they always say "rap.  a lot of rap."       

From our point of view, it can feel weird that Green Day aren't sitting around listening to Weezer, the Offspring, etc.     

Okay, I have to go read the rest of the article now.   

I'm a little concerned that by the time I get No Fun Mondays, I will have lost interest.    I've stopped playing it on repeat in the car so I will have a few weeks away from it when it arrives.   

Good day to you people. 

7 minutes ago, That Dude said:

I'm a little concerned that by the time I get No Fun Mondays, I will have lost interest.    I've stopped playing it on repeat in the car so I will have a few weeks away from it when it arrives.   

I forgot that I ordered the CD 😄 It’s been nice being distracted by that other band because it’s true I haven’t listened to these in a while and I look forward to hearing it all again. 

• Like 2

He talks about Green Day fans not having heard Kids in America, but for me that's one of the few I had heard previously.  

I've heard I Think We're Alone Now, Manic Monday, Corpus, Arms Around a Memory and Police on my Back.   

Some that I'm not sure but possibly had heard are Whole Wide World and Gimme Some Truth.   

The rest were complete discoveries where I had never heard of the artist or anything at all.   

I hope that this project is followed up one day.   17 years from now, perhaps?    Sooner?   

Before that though, I'd like to get an 'official' solo record.     This is technically a compilation, although the way it was recorded could make it a studio record too.   But it's covers.   Confusing.  

The Longshot was called Longshot.  

A record of brand new tunes under his own name would be cool.    He's already allowed so much experimentation with all his bands but a true solo record could give him complete freedom.    

Green Day and Pinhead have to perform a certain style of Punk.  

The Network do a new wave thingie.

The Tubs, a 60s vibe.   

Manic Mondays is vintage covers. 

But Billie Joe, that guy who started making music in the 70s.    That guy, could make a record that flips the instrustry on its head.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, That Dude said:

But Billie Joe, that guy who started making music in the 70s.    That guy, could make a record that flips the instrustry on its head again.   

😁

• Like 1

„That’s the beauty of the way you can put music out these days. You don’t have to wait for any gatekeeper to tell you that the timing is right“.

That sounds like they renegotiated their contract with warner. Wasn‘t he complaining about just putting out albums and not singles last year?

2 minutes ago, Flashback said:

„That’s the beauty of the way you can put music out these days. You don’t have to wait for any gatekeeper to tell you that the timing is right“.

That sounds like they renegotiated their contract with warner. Wasn‘t he complaining about just putting out albums and not singles last year?

Yeah since the last album they’ve been much freer releasing stuff from NFM to the Dreaming single and that other band that has no relation to them at all. It means when he’s ready to release GD music again he can do it in any form and at any time that they want.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

6 hours ago, Todd said:

^ and the Otis Mixes EP

Wow I totally forgot about that. I don’t think they’ve ever had such a productive year with releases

• Like 1

1 minute ago, legendary said:

About "funny record" that he mentioned, maybe is he referring to The Network release?

That's a different band that has no connection to Billie and Green Day. He has nothing to do with them. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, legendary said:

About "funny record" that he mentioned, maybe is he referring to The Network release?

I thought the same from most of the description, although the part about it being "autobiographical" made me doubt it. Maybe he's been writing stuff for both The Network and Green Day and was thinking of both (and probably thinking hehe no one knows about The Network stuff yet while he was saying it :D).

14 minutes ago, localinsomniac said:

I wonder if they still like Good Charlotte

All I think of when Green Day and Good Charlotte are mentioned is this

03f6344a717fc63a2e4fa51305896b32.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2