The Network - Trans AM EP

Little Boy Named Booze

10 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

Already is and love it more and more. If Fentanyl was their crazy experimental Green Day release last year I would have loved it right out of the gate. It’s short but with a musical bridge it sounds complete and not underwritten like so much of FOAM. It’s perfect.  Plus they sound so much more at home with the new wave sound than soul or funk.  I think it would have been a hit for them.

I’m happy to have it in any form but once again they put their best music out on side projects. Seriously great songs like this combined with the political (Ivankkka) and the silly (Flat Earth) are really all the best elements of Green Day encapsulated in this EP.  It’s what makes them special. With everyone contributing this is everything I love about Green Day. So why the fuck isn’t this is a Green Day album?  Why give those upstarts The Network the credit for this amazing work?

To be honest we have no idea how much each member contributes to Green Day or The Network songs. Billie's always been the lyric writer and main songwriter, whether the amount the others contribute has changed or not isn't something we know. The only tangible difference here is members other than Billie/Fink singing (which has just always been a Network thing). 

And which is better comes down to taste but FOAM also has political and fun elements.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Hermione said:

To be honest we have no idea how much each member contributes to Green Day or The Network songs. Billie's always been the lyric writer and main songwriter, whether the amount the others contribute has changed or not isn't something we know. The only tangible difference here is members other than Billie/Fink singing (which has just always been a Network thing). 

And which is better comes down to taste but FOAM also has political and fun elements.

We don’t know but when it sounds like it does you can tell and I don’t just mean by who is singing. At least in the past Tre wrote his own novelty songs and songs like Homecoming where they each contributed a part you can hear their individual personalities come through. This sounds like that to me, versus FOAM which sounds like Billie handed them completed demos and they played on them. He even said he gave Tre the drum part he wanted him to do for the FOAM single. I think that difference is apparent. I might have liked much of it but this is more of a Green Day album than FOAM was. I listened to Turn Me Loose and Sugar Youth back to back the other day and SY could have been a Longshot song. Much of FOAM had the 50’s/60’s retro vibe of the Longshot which to me is a solo effort. This isn’t. 

• Like 1

Trans Am is a miss. I don't know how to feel about it, but all I know is that I don't dislike it. But at the same time, I'll don't think I'll blast it on repeat. 

Flat Earth is not bad, but it could be better. I love it though. I'm happy we got another song from The Snoo. 

Fentanyl is definitely something I'll blast while driving down a back road somewhere. If I ever have kids, I'm forcing them to learn how to play it (on whatever instrument they choose). I don't like it more than Trans Am though. 

Ivankkka is my favorite so far. I love that song. I'm also forcing my future children to learn how to play that.

If I had to rank them, I'd say Ivankka is best, then Flat Earth, Trans Am, and Fentanyl. So far so good. I'm super hyped for what's to come. 

• Like 1

Flat Earth is hilarious. So glad "if you think the earth is round then you're probably a moron" actually showed up in a lyric haha

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Hermione said:

I put all my money that Tré definitely wrote Flat Earth (if that's its name) :lol:

And I even dare to say that the song each of them sings, it's the one each wrote. It makes sense when you listen to Hungry Hungry Models, Spastic Society and Roshambo.

I see Trans Am is the least liked and I think it rocks! I couldn't understand the entire lyrics but from what I got, I freakin' love it. You guys listen again please

• Like 2

I don’t understand what a lot of you are hearing in Fentanyl that makes it so great. It’s the weakest song on here in my opinion. Flat Earth is my favorite so far, the lyrics are really clever. Still not digging the lengthy intro on Ivankkka, and Trans Am is a formula Network song, but I don’t mean that in a bad way. I’m gonna try to refrain from listening to these again until the whole album is released. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, MarriedtoMikeDirnt said:

Trans Am is a miss. 

Whaaat! I thought as you like the bassist guy in GD, you’d like this guys singing.

2 minutes ago, Todd said:

I don’t understand what a lot of you are hearing in Fentanyl that makes it so great. It’s the weakest song on here in my opinion. Flat Earth is my favorite so far, the lyrics are really clever. Still not digging the lengthy intro on Ivankkka, and Trans Am is a formula Network song, but I don’t mean that in a bad way. I’m gonna try to refrain from listening to these again until the whole album is released. 

For me it's the bass line off the start of Fentanyl, followed by the guitar that mimics it - great build up then pulled right back for Fink's vocals. It's just a different vibe, a little more mellow. 

Agreed about the Ivankkka intro tho, might feel a bit more like an interlude in the context of the whole album - we'll see!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

We don’t know but when it sounds like it does you can tell and I don’t just mean by who is singing. At least in the past Tre wrote his own novelty songs and songs like Homecoming where they each contributed a part you can hear their individual personalities come through. This sounds like that to me, versus FOAM which sounds like Billie handed them completed demos and they played on them. He even said he gave Tre the drum part he wanted him to do for the FOAM single. I think that difference is apparent. I might have liked much of it but this is more of a Green Day album than FOAM was. I listened to Turn Me Loose and Sugar Youth back to back the other day and SY could have been a Longshot song. Much of FOAM had the 50’s/60’s retro vibe of the Longshot which to me is a solo effort. This isn’t. 

Homecoming's kind of an exception where each member specifically wrote and sang their own part, a bit of an experiment. For the most part all we know is "Lyrics - BJA, Music - Green Day", the breakdown of how much is Billie and how much is the others isn't known for sure, but it's always been strongly hinted that it's mostly Billie (when discussing their conflict around the time of AI when they decided to acknowledge things like - in their words - Billie "writes all the songs" for example). You can have a hunch about it but I don't see any concrete evidence of Mike and Tre's contributions becoming smaller, unless they tell us we don't know that.

This just sounds like The Network to me. 80s new wave sound and all the guys singing. FOAM with Billie singing, the Green Day sound plus some rock n roll stuff is much more typical of Green Day in the last decade. 

8 minutes ago, Todd said:

The music just sounds awesome. The first two songs are cool but fun and silly, Fentanyl is cool in the way Roshambo is. 

• Like 4

Crazy that this feels so much better thought out, better produced, and more ambitious than FOAM. Green Day love their side projects.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, jengd said:

Whaaat! I thought as you like the bassist guy in GD, you’d like this guys singing.

The singing leaves a lot to be desired, and the song is just alright. I've heard better.

Regarding this ridiculous accusation that I like the bassist in Green Day (isn't his name Bike Dirt or something), that is poppycock! I know not of this Green Day band, and to suggest such is simply incorrect!

• Haha 1

Trans Am is okay, Flat Earth is pretty catchy and funny. Fentanyl and Ivankkka Is A Nazi are amazing! This will be a good album, when it comes out! IIAN is really starting to grow on me. First I didn't like the melodies too much, but now I love everything about it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, legendary said:

Fentanyl sounds like Muse

The whole album cover look like Muse simulation theory ahah

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Hermione said:

Homecoming's kind of an exception where each member specifically wrote and sang their own part, a bit of an experiment. For the most part all we know is "Lyrics - BJA, Music - Green Day", the breakdown of how much is Billie and how much is the others isn't known for sure, but it's always been strongly hinted that it's mostly Billie (when discussing their conflict around the time of AI when they decided to acknowledge things like - in their words - Billie "writes all the songs" for example). You can have a hunch about it but I don't see any concrete evidence of Mike and Tre's contributions becoming smaller, unless they tell us we don't know that.

This just sounds like The Network to me. 80s new wave sound and all the guys singing. FOAM with Billie singing, the Green Day sound plus some rock n roll stuff is much more typical of Green Day in the last decade. 

The music just sounds awesome. The first two songs are cool but fun and silly, Fentanyl is cool in the way Roshambo is. 

Can I just say it sounds more collaborative to me, expressing all of their unique qualities and that’s why I like it, without necessarily having evidence to present to the court?  🙄

12 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Crazy that this feels so much better thought out, better produced, and more ambitious than FOAM. Green Day love their side projects.

👆👆👆

6 minutes ago, legendary said:

Fentanyl sounds like Muse

I think New Order and that’s not a bad thing.  Maybe Billie was inspired by his son Jakob’s band. UltraQ borrow heavily from New Order but put their own unique spin on it. 

21 minutes ago, Hermione said:

If Fentanyl is the new Roshambo, then this new album isn't so promising. 

28 minutes ago, Todd said:

I never thought I'd say this, but I agree with you completely. 

• Haha 1

I think it’s fine overall. The people saying it’s better than FOAM especially production wise are just saying that to say that. The songs are a cool network return, and I’m excited to hear the rest, but not blown away or anything

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Jankowski576 said:

I think it’s fine overall. The people saying it’s better than FOAM especially production wise are just saying that to say that. The songs are a cool network return, and I’m excited to hear the rest, but not blown away or anything

I agree. Once again, people fall to certain trends of what's cool to say. It's very often in situations where incompetent people have something to say about music production and toss around terms they don't understand, whose knowledge is based on crap they read from other incompetent people. It's a cycle. Hence the idiotic terms such as ''overproduced'', ''warm'' etc.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Alright I had to give Fentanyl one more listen since you all are raving about it so much. I’m not fond of the vocal effects, and still can’t make out half of the words, but I like it better the second time around. I still wouldn’t compare it to Roshambo though :lol: 

• Like 2