Rollingstones "500 Best Albums of All Time" - Green Day

Squashie

Rollingstone Magazine released their "500 GOAT" albums. Green Day are listed at:

#375 - Dookie
What they say:
The album that jump-started the Nineties punk-pop revival. The skittish Dookie was recorded in little more than three weeks, and singer-guitarist Billie Joe Armstrong blazed through all the vocals in two days. “Right from getting the drum sound, everything seemed to click,” their A&R man (and Dookie producer) Rob Cavallo marveled. Indeed, “click” is the operative word here, also describing Armstrong’s airtight, three-minute bowshots like “Welcome to Paradise,” “Basket Case,” and the infectious smash “Longview” — which Armstrong described as “cheap self-therapy from watching too much TV.”

#248 - American Idiot
What they say:
The Nineties’ most irrepressible punk brats grew up with a bang. They also proved they could take on the kind of gargantuan old-school concept album that nobody else seemed to have the guts to try. Green Day raged against political complacency of mid-decade America with a Who-size sense of grandeur, zeroing in on the rock audience’s political outcasts and misfits as Billie Joe Armstrong snarled, “Welcome to a new kind of tension/All across the alien nation.”

Notables (to me) who made the list:

• My Chemical Romance - The Black Parade #361
  • Weezer - The Blue Album - #294
  • Michael Jackson - Bad - #194
  • The Who - Tommy - #190
  • The Replacements - Let it Be - #156
  • Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska - #150
  • U2 - Joshua Tree - #135 (they had others listed as well)
  • Queen - Night at the Opera - #129
  • AC/DC - Back in Black -# 84
  • The Ramones - Ramones - #47
  • Prince - Purple Rain - #8
  • Nirvana - Nevermind - #6

Number 1 is Marvin Gaye - What's Going On.

Full list is here: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/best-albums-of-all-time-1062063/arcade-fire-funeral-1062733/

(Mods: I figured this would lead a discussion, so that's why I made it it's thread. Feel free to move to "random news" if you feel it should be there instead.)

Edit: Kanye has probably every album he's created ranked on this list so.... (also, i'm not a kanye fan)

• Like 4

This is why I hate lists like this, I don’t like anything Michael Jackson ever did, can’t stand Night At The Opera as my elder brother ruined my life with it at the time 😂😂 but like to see that GD are in there, though obviously should be much higher 😁

• Like 3

Breaks my heart a little to see The Dark Side of the Moon below Jay-Z and Outkast records, despite the fact that I really appreciate both Jay-Z and Outkast and recognise the huge impact they had in hip hop and music in general, but I mean, it's in the nature of these charts to break everyone's heart :D 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, HAPPY ROOTING UNICORN said:

Breaks my heart a little to see The Dark Side of the Moon below Jay-Z and Outkast records, despite the fact that I really appreciate both Jay-Z and Outkast and recognise the huge impact they had in hip hop and music in general, but I mean, it's in the nature of these charts to break everyone's heart :D 

I agree, and DSOTM has not aged at all, it sounds so good still but Jay-Z and OutKast aren’t timeless to me they are of their moment. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

4 hours ago, Green Day In Seattle said:

Hmmm, I love Nirvana and Nevermind is a great album, but I wouldn't say it's better than American Idiot. That one in my mind is a timeless masterpiece. I think it deserves a waaaay higher ranking. Dookie is just okay imo so I'm okay with where they put that one.

Really? 

I'm still sticking with the 2012 version. This list seems to have changed things to look more "woke" and to appeal to a younger audience. How does Sgt. Peppers drop 23 spots? Did it suddenly become a worse album?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DookieLukie said:

I'm still sticking with the 2012 version. This list seems to have changed things to look more "woke" and to appeal to a younger audience. How does Sgt. Peppers drop 23 spots? Did it suddenly become a worse album?

Well different staff had impact in this 

The fact that the guys in my avatar barely made top 5 makes this list lose all credibility. 

Also no Eminem in top 20? What a bunch of nonsense. 

• Like 1

The list is honestly pretty laughable to me, but I am glad that they weren't dumb enough to not include at least 2 Green Day records.

Bias aside, I fucking love some of the albums on this list but the fact that 21st Century Breakdown alone really is better a better album than many of them and it's somehow not even on here just goes to show that a "great" album by Rolling Stone's definition is more about the overall popularity, era or legacy that the artist had rather than the quality and/or consistency of the album itself.

I get it, variety of artists and genres is important and taste is obviously subjective but dude, are they really trying to suggest that Taylor Swift's stuff is considered better than 21cb which is arguably a better fucking album than anything she has ever done and then there's the fact that her stuff is somehow considered better than The Black Parade and American Idiot, which okay fine you can argue that it all comes down to taste, but then they go one step further and say her album is better than iconic stuff from Queen, Metallica, Pink Floyd, Pearl Jam and The motherfucking Who among many many others?

Yeah fucking right 😂
(No disrespect to Taylor fans, but I hope you can see my point)

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Red said:

The list is honestly pretty laughable to me, but I am glad that they weren't dumb enough to not include at least 2 Green Day records.

Bias aside, I fucking love some of the albums on this list but the fact that 21st Century Breakdown alone really is better a better album than many of them and it's somehow not even on here just goes to show that a "great" album by Rolling Stone's definition is more about the overall popularity, era or legacy that the artist had rather than the quality and/or consistency of the album itself.

I get it, variety of artists and genres is important and taste is obviously subjective but dude, are they really trying to suggest that Taylor Swift's stuff is considered better than 21cb which is arguably a better fucking album than anything she has ever done and then there's the fact that her stuff is somehow considered better than The Black Parade and American Idiot, which okay fine you can argue that it all comes down to taste, but then they go one step further and say her album is better than iconic stuff from Queen, Metallica, Pink Floyd, Pearl Jam and The motherfucking Who among many many others?

Yeah fucking right 😂
(No disrespect to Taylor fans, but I hope you can see my point)

Rolling Stone loves T Swift because she is a blonde female and "woke." They give all her albums high ratings and tons of exaggerated praise. Music is subjective in most ways, but this list clearly has an agenda.

• Like 1

oh look gdc's hot take on music outside of GD. As usual, funny to see you guys argue about genres you have no knowledge in, stick to pop punk guys! :lol: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric said:

oh look gdc's hot take on music outside of GD. As usual, funny to see you guys argue about genres you have no knowledge in, stick to pop punk guys! :lol: 

Mate no matter how many alternate dimensions may exist, I refuse to believe there is a single one where anything from Taylor Swift is actually better than anything from The Who. 

I don't know if anyone has ever put Pinball Wizard and We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together in the same sentence before but hey, I just did and it looks even worse than I thought it would. 

I might just be some "pop punk" listening crazed GD fan, as I am commonly judged by people who don't know me, but I'm never going to go and say that FOAM is better than fucking Tommy no matter how much of a fan I am 🤣

1 hour ago, Eric said:

Go fuck yourself :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Eric said:

You don't think FOAM should be number one? 

• Haha 3

On 10/4/2020 at 10:34 AM, michael1989 said:

Where is the debut album from the Longshot?

Where is the Trilogy?

Despite me actually hearing some cracks in the records for the first time since their release, I will always be a Trilogy Defender.  TDs unite!

and in 2020, this list from Rolling Stone is as irrelevant as mtv.  

I've currated my own Top 20 Records of All Time and will have it on YouTube soon.  With the except of American Idiot, there will be no overlap with those heathens. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1