New album theory

dudley dawson

Billie is one of greatest rock’n’roll songwriters/story tellers of all time. Trilogy was great too it just wasn’t executed as well as it could have been. Love is for Losers is great. Even the Longshot EPs were great.

Basically if I am going to be a true nit picky Green Day fan (and I am)... I will agree that Rev Rad and FOAM weren’t that great and I do skip a few songs on those records and a few on the trilogy records. I skip songs on 21CB too. 

Rev Rad was worse than FOAM though imo. It was sadder than FOAM. FOAM was a little more exciting and risky. I like the risky albums. I guess that’s why I am head over heels in love with the Trilogy and always will be. Rev Rad was so safe we don’t even fight about it. It’s like fully agreed that is a good Green Day record and that’s it. The tour was boring too I don’t know why people are saying it was the best. It was consistent and had the same setlist everyday and even the “deep cuts” weren’t and they were the same ones every show. Rev Rad was the most boring safest era song and tour wise but I think it was good because it shook things up and did whatever needed to be done and we got the Longshot and for better or worse we got FOAM. And imo FOAM is better (at least more exciting) than Rev Rad although Rev Rad had great songs including Bouncing Off the Wall and Too Dumb to Die which never even got played live. That’s how boring the Rev Rad tour was. The record had some great songs that were ignored.

Looking at some of the running themes on this thread I will have to say: Billie’s songwriting is top notch it’s just that it’s not focused and great stuff is hidden in side projects or songs Green Day won’t play live as a band or maybe he is waiting for the great big epic album for when they’re off Reprise. He’s not getting weak with songwriting. He’s getting stronger. He’s just spread a little thin or something. He needs a little shakeup and fun or something. I think the FOAM tour would have been a blast for him. He was definitely loosening during the Longshot tour.

• Like 3

I agree with a lot @Virginia Lot Lizard said and it made me realise I like Revrad but it felt a little safe and to me it seemed GD we’re saying ok, we’ve been around a long time and are ready to become a classic or legacy rock band and I’m not ready for them to do that.  Clearly they do what they want but I think that’s one of the reasons I like FoAM, it says they are not going to just rest on their laurels, they are still going to try new stuff and they are not done. Billie has said before he has no new girlfriend to write about so maybe finding inspiration gets harder but I could see there being quite a lot of social commentary on a new album.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Sheenius said:

Rather have a rock opera about a sex addict

Of course you would :lol:

7 hours ago, Sheenius said:

Just a lot of volume with the trilogy.. 37 fucking songs people don't realize what that's like 

Foam had a lot of different hooks vocally as well. He's not losing it at all. Just not going for a major epic. 

I wouldn’t say he’s losing it musically and I’m fine with the garage style he’s going for, but I think when it comes to Green Day he’s stuck in nostalgy. It was acceptable on RevRad, because that record is kind of sappy and also in a way about making peace with the past, but then FOAM has songs like I Was A Teenage Teenager and even though I like this song, I can’t help thinking that Billie’s writing would have more edge if he was writing about his current experience rather than looking back into the past.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

FOAM has songs like I Was A Teenage Teenager and even though I like this song, I can’t help thinking that Billie’s writing would have more edge if he was writing about his current experience rather than looking back into the past.

I hate that song. So fucking much. It's the worst song on the album, probably their worst song of their discography imo. It has no redeeming qualities imo

Is it just me who thinks that?

• Thanks 1

RevRad is not my favorite album but I do think it is one of their best. I agree with what others said here about it being a great story about Billie's personal journey with also some very important political statements. The title track, Bang Bang, and Still Breathing are all amazing (Bang Bang is one of my favorite Green Day songs of all time). Sure, maybe the overall sound is a little "safe," but it's also Green Day's signature sound. The thing about Green Day is that when you here any of their songs, you know it is them, even though they have done albums in many different styles. It's like they are their own genre. 

Also, Youngblood is not one of my favorites, but it is a solid song, and I just love that Billie writes songs about his wife. 

I want another political album from them. Even as one of the few people on here that doesn't share Billie's political beliefs, I'd kill for another one. His songwriting is at its best when he is writing passionately about politics, and you can hear that emotion in the songs. I feel like on FOAM he went out of his way to TRY not to write political songs and as a result we got what feels like a compilation of half-assed songs. I'm not asking for something as huge and epic as 21st Century Breakdown, but something along the lines of RevRad is where I think the band should  go right now. Especially with everything going on in the US currently. RevRad had a great mix of personal and political lyrics, FOAM being the follow-up to that was a big letdown, lyrically anyway. Don't get me wrong, they have not released a single album that I would classify as bad and I love everything they've put out, but man another political album right now from a charged up Billie would be great.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I hate that song. So fucking much. It's the worst song on the album, probably their worst song of their discography imo. It has no redeeming qualities imo

It's terrible, but is it really worse than Drama Queen? 

😅

16 hours ago, Montclare said:

RevRad is still my favorite GD album and tour. It's the story of Billie's journey through rehab and recovery and coming out on the other side. I view it as triumphant. And that tour was the happiest I've ever seen the band. They were nothing but smiles. It was a tour full of joy and gratitude. I'd happily take that again. Bang Bang and Ordinary World are still two of my favorite GD songs with Forever Now not far behind. Youngblood is the only lesser song to me on that album and it was still fun live.

This. This. 

A thousand and one times this.

That era was so real, so full of gratitude and unity. Even if people don't like the album that much, there's everything else about that era to appreciate and it was an incredible experience being able to experience everything as a fan. 

I personally love that album so I would give so much to be able to experience something like this again. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Red said:

😅

Yes. DQ is just kind of generic and boring with some weird lyrical content but I can listen to it just fine. IWATT sound awful to me. The lyrics are also dumb. It's probably the only GD song that I actively dislike listening to

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Red said:

😅

This. This. 

A thousand and one times this.

That era was so real, so full of gratitude and unity. Even if people don't like the album that much, there's everything else about that era to appreciate and it was an incredible experience being able to experience everything as a fan. 

I personally love that album so I would give so much to be able to experience something like this again. 

Yes, it was absolutely amazing and I was excited to see where they’d go from there.  It seemed like they were entering a grown-up stage of their career and it seemed appropriate. I’d still want to see that.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Yes, it was absolutely amazing and I was excited to see where they’d go from there.  It seemed like they were entering a grown-up stage of their career and it seemed appropriate. I’d still want to see that.

And then Billie decided sobriety was overrated and regressed 😢

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

And then Billie decided sobriety was overrated and regressed 😢

:( I hope he can get back on track. Not just for his sake but also because we don’t necessarily need FOAM Dos and Tre. He can do better.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

42 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

:( I hope he can get back on track. Not just for his sake but also because we don’t necessarily need FOAM Dos and Tre. He can do better.

Part of me want Trump to win the election just for an epic Green Day album in 2021.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

Part of me want Trump to win the election just for an epic Green Day album in 2021.

Everyone said there would be loads of good punk music if Trump won and there hasn't been, so don't think a reelection would change that

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

It has a Mike Dirnty sound to it, even though he apparently didn't do any backing vocals for FOAM at all.  And anything Mike Dirnty is magical.   Perhaps, with Billie Joe doing solo material, Mke and Tre will start having more input in Green Day songs again and we get can get some Dirnty and Cool songs again.   

That's on my wishlist for every album, so fingers crossed.    Mike Dirnt needs a solo record.   Keep the synths and keytars if you like, but lose the masks this time around.  :)

12 hours ago, Little Boy Named Booze said:

It wouldn’t inspire him to do that, it would just sink him into an even deeper pit of depression. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I think they should make an album focused on social issues, rather than political.

Songs like Restless Heart Syndrome, Bang Bang, Warning - I would consider these songs apolitical.

Making a song about Trump would be predictable and uninspired.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, The Grohl said:

What I appreciate about FOAM is it felt like for once Green Day realized not everything had to be an epic album. This time it felt like they did something new and just enjoyed themselves and I'm all for that. Yeah, it would be great to get something big and impactful again, but if the next album is fun, catchy, and risky like FOAM I'm all for it. 

This. 10000% this.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

It wouldn’t inspire him to do that, it would just sink him into an even deeper pit of depression. 

Agreed. Not to mention ruin the world LOL. There is no excuse for more Trump. 

1 hour ago, michael1989 said:

I think they should make an album focused on social issues, rather than political.

Songs like Restless Heart Syndrome, Bang Bang, Warning - I would consider these songs apolitical.

Making a song about Trump would be predictable and uninspired.

YES!!! Those things SHOULD be apolitical, but it's 2020 and the world has managed to make everything political--probably as an excuse to avoid having to actually deal with any of these social issues. It's a disgrace.