Billie Joe on GMA summer series

Squashie

2 hours ago, Montclare said:

Agreed.  In Prima Donna's Zoom with fans the other day, they were asked if they (PD) would perform a show together while in quarantine and Kevin said no, because the sound is terrible and it would be silly for them to do it now when they can just get together once things are open again.

I just think Billie is a workaholic and Mike and Tre are using this time as family time.  Simple as that.  I'm loving Billie solo though.  There are bands who clearly are legacy acts even though one member wants to keep going/create.  I think of Fleetwood Mac.  Lindsey always wanted to create new albums while the rest of the band just wanted to tour and make money.  He would always talk about the big machine (Fleetwood Mac) vs. the little machine (his solo career that allowed him to make the music he wanted).  I don't think GD is anywhere near this though; they clearly still like each other.  And I don't think Mike and Tre could kick Billie out of the band. :lol:

This part exactly imo out of the 3 Billie is the only one who doesn’t have any small kids or babies at the present time where as Mike has young children and Tre has a toddler at home so they probably have more of a let’s spend as much time with the kids attitude than what Billie may have (not saying that Billie doesn’t want to spend time with Joey and Jakob but you know differences between kids and grown adults situation) 

• Like 4

So digging further into this performance 

Will it be live? I mean without an audience and the reaction of the audiemce, wouldn’t it be best to record like his other appearances since the lockdown? There would be a lot of risk in doing it live from home.

Typically aren’t the GMA summer series performances like 4 or 5 songs? So  will he do that many? 

If he does the new Blondie song, will Mike and Tre make a surprise appearance?

Is he going to rely on technology for drums and base, or will he enlist Joey & Jakob again?

39 minutes ago, BillieJoe’sEyelids said:

So digging further into this performance 

Will it be live? I mean without an audience and the reaction of the audiemce, wouldn’t it be best to record like his other appearances since the lockdown? There would be a lot of risk in doing it live from home.

Typically aren’t the GMA summer series performances like 4 or 5 songs? So  will he do that many? 

If he does the new Blondie song, will Mike and Tre make a surprise appearance?

Is he going to rely on technology for drums and base, or will he enlist Joey & Jakob again?

More than likely taped. 

4 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

I hope he gets Joey and Jakob or the GD guys. It’s a lot better than a backing track.

But if he was using Mike and Tre it would be called a Green Day performance. So I think he’ll have Joey and Jakob. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BillieJoe’sEyelids said:

But if he was using Mike and Tre it would be called a Green Day performance. So I think he’ll have Joey and Jakob. 

True. Then hopefully J&J show up!

Will it be possible to watch the performance online and not on tv? I don't have ABC.

6 hours ago, IcyMoffatt said:

Will it be possible to watch the performance online and not on tv? I don't have ABC.

GMA Summer concerts are usually up on YouTube pretty quickly.

• Like 1

Tap the brakes - I think some people may be reading too much into things and don't think anyone's work ethic in the band should be questioned.  BJ's recent performances are a low-overhead and logistically feasible avenue to keep the Green Day brand in the forefront during what was (until recently, at least) part of an album and major tour promo cycle. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think this may have been canceled.  GMA mentioned someone else is doing the Friday concert.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

19 minutes ago, lizziebix said:

I think this may have been canceled.  GMA mentioned someone else is doing the Friday concert.  

Really?😫

So, 
No GMA
No NFM

At a time where music would probably be the best thing to have...

I’m not seeing a change on their website just know I heard them mention someone else for Friday.  Someone more relatable to the current protest situation, I believe. 

Sucks ‘cuz I took the day off work for this. :(

If Billie pulled out and they replaced him with a black performer that would be more appropriate 

• Like 2

Yeah maybe both sides felt it wasn't the right time and decided to use the slot to support a black artist

Gary Clark Jr is this Friday and now their website says “dates to be announced” and Billie Joe is last on that list. 

• Sad 1

I can totally see him thinking he should bow out just now but I was looking forward to seeing him 😢

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

If artists have to bow out now, why is Lady Gaga taking no heat for releasing her album 4 days after Floyd's murder?

I’m going to guess this wasn’t his call/suggestion, but GMA’s.  

• Like 1

On 6/3/2020 at 12:36 PM, BillieJoe’sEyelids said:

Let’s think about this for just a minute. Billie gave up his spot for a black performer. This was absolutely the right thing to do, and it’s completely consistent with what he has been preaching on Instagram in the last week. I have no doubt that he instigated that decision. As I’ve said before, going on a morning show and performing a bunch of NFM covers right now would be horrible optics. And would be completely against everything he stands for. This is bigger than entertainment people. It’s about taking a stand. Change does not happen when people forget and just go about their normal business. There has to be a concerted effort to stay focused  on the issue at hand. Maybe we would have common sense gun reform by now if we didn’t go back to status quo after every march or rally. 

I could not agree more, and I figured this is what had happened when I saw the ad for Gary Clark Jr. on TV yesterday. This was 100% the right decision, and this is what I have been trying to say in other threads: sometimes the right thing to do is to just get out of the way and listen. There's no need to argue over who's doing the most or who is/isn't doing enough. Everyone should do what is appropriate for their situation. That's what Billie is doing now, and that's what I feel he has always done for the things he believes in. 

I love what you said about gun reform. The same could be said of many other issues too. We have outrage for a little while and then we go right back to the status quo. I am hoping this time can be different. 

Having said that, I find it strange that Green Day and/or Billie haven’t said a word about the change and whether he’s rescheduled. Also I’m curious as to whether they say anything about it this morning on GMA.

• Like 1