"Billie Joe Armstrong Of Green Day Shaded Ariana Grande And...No, Absolutely Not"- Buzzfeed article

FruitbasketCase

I don’t think everything has to be all the time black or white. Ariana Grande and Billie Eilish are both artists, in different ways. I think when it comes to the Grammys, that should award the quality of a music product, it’s legit to express the opinion that an artist working both on the composition, production and performance of a product deserves the awards more then one that partially focus on the composition, probably not at all on the production, and mostly in the performance. Is it lesser an artist? No, but when it comes to awarding music I think Billie is right, and an effort like the one of Billie Eilish deserves more recognition. 
That said it is an opinion, pop music written by Swedish producers dominates the charts, has recognition, and the artists that perform it deserve respect for their interpretation and work put in it.
One can dislike it nonetheless. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, madafaka said:

I get where you are coming from, but in the end what we have to go on, is the fact that Ariana's songs always have multiple writers listed and never just her, which to me proves that she is never the one doing the heavy lifting creatively. If she was able to write a good song on her own, she would've done so by now. She might've had a bigger influence on her latest album, but it's not a consistent effort. She has worked multiple times with industry giants like Max Martin, which just proves that the foundation of her fame is manufactured and not organic at all.

Billie Eilish and her brother Finneas wrote and recorded their music alone in a bedroom. This is a Lennon/McCartney deal, where it's so obvious that their music is the joined effort of a creative duo. This makes the music much more authentic, and real pieces of art.

I would argue that Green Day's music is even more authentic, as there is basically only one main songwriter on all of it.

I might sound like a puritan, and I kind of am, but only to the point that I think true artists deserves to be categorized separately from all the other pop musicians, and in my opinion Ariana Grande doesn't quite make the cut

Yeah, I get where you're coming from too, and maybe I was a little over-defensive because I think that the creative process of making music goes far beyond just writing the music (like, for example, Beyoncé is known to take a snippets from songwriters in her writing camps and turn them into something completely different, I think of that as an artform too), but I get that for some people it's important that artists write their lyrics on their own and that's cool. 

At the end of the day, I agree that this has been blown way out of proportion and Billie only meant this as a side-comment, but cancel-culture never lasts more than a few days anyways, so this is probably not gonna affect the guys in the long-term.

Edited by ANTI

The fact that this is even getting attention is dumb. We should all just ignore it. Buzzfeed is ass, we all know it. Let's just leave it at that.

3 hours ago, Sheenius said:

Did you just assume Ariana Grande's gender? 

That joke was never funny, even in 2016 when it was relevant

• Like 3

He's thrown shade at Bon Jovi and Adam Lambert and no one batted an eye. 

If Taylor Swift or some other big female name had thrown shade at Ariana Grande, every site would be like oooh omg drama! 

While I am definitely someone who believes sexism is a major problem in society, this is pretty ridiculous. It's not like he was trashing her personally. 

Everyone has a right to like or dislike whatever music they want. Lmao. I can't believe I'm giving this my attention but I guess I just did.

I guess this is the definition of "felt cute, might delete later"

• Haha 3

I want to listen to this Grande person just because Green Day talked about them.

I'm a Slipknot and Staind fan just because Billie doesn't like them.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Alan86 said:

Like I said in another thread, Billie is out of control and should be locked up.

Ariana Greenday is cool in my book.

Billie Joe Eilish is my fav

• Haha 1
  • Love 2

22 hours ago, Hermione said:

Ehh, pretty sure every member of Green Day did plenty of things much more cunty than lick a donut at her age

I never said GD weren't cunts as well

3 minutes ago, Sarcasm said:

I never said GD weren't cunts as well

I guess everyone is a cunt then (except maybe Billie Eilish)

I've spent way too much energy on this trash article (both in that it's trying to trash Billie Joe and that the article in itself is trash), I first saw it when my best friend sent it to me in a text and I just went completely off, so I'm not giving it any more energy than I've already given it or it deserves. I will say that the comment section on this article is even worse, with people trying to bring up Billie's use of the N-word in "American Eulogy" without any regard to the context in which he used it. People only see/hear what they wanna see/hear, I guess.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jimmy Strummer said:

Billie's use of the N-word in "American Eulogy" without any regard to the context in which he used it. 

Oh god, I just got into a discussion with someone about this. Spent quite a damn while trying to explain that BJ wasn't slurring anybody, as well as just the nuances of the harsh language being attributed to a political figure in order to make the point that the generalization here is (the assumption that) the president at that time was the racist who didn't spend enough time dealing with the hurricane fallout for such (assumed) reasons. 

Then that person was all like, "So he called Bush the N-word?"

That's when I pretty much gave up and gave the kindergarten-worthy explanation that in the song, BJ was relaying the idea that someone else said the slur. I think they finally got it after that, but it left me seriously questioning several aspects of life hahaha.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy Strummer said:

I've spent way too much energy on this trash article (both in that it's trying to trash Billie Joe and that the article in itself is trash), I first saw it when my best friend sent it to me in a text and I just went completely off, so I'm not giving it any more energy than I've already given it or it deserves. I will say that the comment section on this article is even worse, with people trying to bring up Billie's use of the N-word in "American Eulogy" without any regard to the context in which he used it. People only see/hear what they wanna see/hear, I guess.

Whites shouldn’t say that word regardless of context

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, 21st_century_gloria said:

That's when I pretty much gave up and gave the kindergarten-worthy explanation that in the song, BJ was relaying the idea that someone else said the slur. I think they finally got it after that, but it left me seriously questioning several aspects of life hahaha.

there's actually a lot of different layers and levels to the lyric. It's not just quoting that someone was a racist and said that but it's also refusing to censor what was done/said so that it can be seen for what it really was. 

It's like when they show "disturbing content" on the news that some may find offensive or gross. It's basically like a quote that does that. 

6 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

What about latinos that use it in hip hop? 

• Like 4

Just now, Sheenius said:

there's actually a lot of different layers and levels to the lyric. It's not just quoting that someone was a racist and said that but it's also refusing to censor what was done/said so that it can be seen for what it really was. 

It's like when they show "disturbing content" on the news that some may find offensive or gross. It's basically like a quote that does that. 

Oh I know. I was trying to get the simplest notion that BJ was not slurring someone across to an extremely dense buckethead.

• Like 1

Just now, 21st_century_gloria said:

Oh I know. I was trying to get the simplest notion that BJ was not slurring someone across to an extremely dense buckethead.

yeah I know what you're saying. I don't think the band could get away with that today regardless of context. 

I wouldn't necessarily write it in my music. I have lots of black family members and some which aren't the sharpest so they wouldn't understand. I also wouldn't want a bunch of white kids shouting out that line at me during a show. Maybe some would understand the context but there's gonna be someone there who doesn't and is just taking an opportunity to be a little cocksucker. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/10/2020 at 12:25 PM, Sheenius said:

I don't think the band could get away with that today regardless of context. 

Oh, they definitely could not. Not with the overblown PC culture. (I do think that nobody should say that particular word due to its history but I think you get what I mean) As seen from that ridiculous article that started the discussion.

Imagine if they (the people who wrote the article) ever heard the Dead Kennedys

12 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

What about latinos that use it in hip hop? 

Blacks for the most part gives Latinos a pass since they share a lot of the struggles blacks have because of whites 

2 minutes ago, 21st_century_gloria said:

Oh, they definitely could not. Not with the overblown PC culture. As seen from that ridiculous article that started the discussion.

Imagine if they heard the Dead Kennedys

yeah and some of it is shock value as well

I will say though, I also don't really agree with the use of the N word in music now by black musicians either. It's way overdone. NWA did it but that was a whole different era. It's OVERDONE now and they have a group of suburban white kids following them around singing it at them at shows. But they've chosen to create that situation to cash out. NWA was political with it. 

I like Dave Chappelle's use of it in his last stand up. They have a dept that goes over his script and says "Dave you can't make this gay joke". 

Dave: I made a joke with the Nword why can I say that and not the gay joke? 

"because you aren't gay Dave" 

Dave: Well I'm not an Nword either. 

Fucking owned haahahahaha

2 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

Blacks for the most part gives Latinos a pass since they share a lot of the struggles blacks have because of whites 

I get that but don't agree with it. In Canada Italians were considered black status for a period of time and even spent time in internment camps. Italians wouldn't be able to get away with that cause objectively we're white but we aren't the same race that enslaved them in the US. It's a lot less black and white than people are trying to make it. No pun intended there lol 

I wouldn't put up with a black dude or latino calling me a wop or using the phrase. But if I choose to identify as one when hanging with them I'm also taking away the issue around it by enabling it. 

48 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

In general that's a good rule to live by but what about a white actor playing a racist character in a movie or play? Or a racist character in a book written by a white person? In the song Billie is singing a quote from a racist, who is presented as a bad person. I can't really see any difference there to a racist character saying it in other forms of art. Context always matters imo.

Also it was 11 years ago. The idea that it would be wrong to say it even in that context wasn't nearly as widespread then, hence the lack of controversy when it came out. I've pointed that out before and had people go "ARE YOU KIDDING ME IT'S ALWAYS BEEN RACIST FOR WHITE PEOPLE TO SAY THE N WORD AND EVERYONE'S ALWAYS KNOWN THAT" and say I must be trolling and it's like, that's what refusing to acknowledge context brings you. I understand questioning/criticising his use of the word in the song but doing that without regard for context is useless.

My question is why the hell would this have been brought up in a conversation about Billie preferring Billie Eilish's work to Ariana Grande's? :lol: That would indicate not having a leg to stand on in their argument.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

get that but don't agree with it. In Canada Italians were considered black status for a period of time and even spent time in internment camps. Italians wouldn't be able to get away with that cause objectively we're white but we aren't the same race that enslaved them in the US. It's a lot less black and white than people are trying to make it. No pun intended there lol 

I wouldn't put up with a black dude or latino calling me a wop or using the phrase. But if I choose to identify as one when hanging with them I'm also taking away the issue around it by enabling it. 

At the end of the day just comes down to the people using the words saying the N word (or any other racial slur) and those who are around the people 

I guess I wasn’t around cause I don’t recall Billie getting heat for using the N word and while I may disagree with him using it I don’t think he should be getting heat 

just like I do disagree with how he worded the whole thing with Ariana and Eilish but he shouldn’t be dragged out like that article is doing 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WhiteTim said:

At the end of the day just comes down to the people using the words saying the N word (or any other racial slur) and those who are around the people 

Yeah for sure. But it's also super touchy because everyone has their own standard, morals and beliefs about this thing. 

If someone was oppressed and called a slur and they're revolting through their art they may use that word in a specific context and it's a real issue that happened etc 

I will say though for the most part in popular music today it's used terribly and with such low IQ. It's not really an NWA or Wu Tang Clan type thing.