NME: Green Day: “We live our lives as if we have nothing”

Rumpelstiltskin2000

4 hours ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

“Maybe I wanted to be a rock star and do that kind of stuff, but it was never to be a big shot. We live our lives as if we have nothing and I think that gives us a better reason to know how to share, do the right things and keep a DIY spirit.”

How could it be possible? I just found it interesting. When you have everything materially, living like you have nothing doesn’t look so likely in the practice to me. He probably meant their general lifestyle and that looks like as he said but maybe I couldn’t imagine it cause I’m poor lol but it’s a bold statement that just attracted my attention 

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Beyza I have to imagine he means that they don’t live super extravagantly a la the typical rockstar stereotype. Or the Kardashians, lol. I’m sure they live in beautiful sprawling homes and stuff, but perhaps just live a little below their means?

23 minutes ago, Beyza said:

How could it be possible? I just found it interesting. When you have everything materially, living like you have nothing doesn’t look so likely in the practice to me. He probably meant their general lifestyle and that looks like as he said but maybe I couldn’t imagine it cause I’m poor lol but it’s a bold statement that just attracted my attention 

Maybe he does't have a golden toilet :lol:

22 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Maybe he does't have a golden toilet :lol:

Yeah, probably but I don’t think he doesn’t live in a some kind of luxury and there is nothing wrong with that. I think it’s just because of their ‘punk’ label. Rock is not like that but punk and money don’t get along well for some people at least.

2 minutes ago, Beyza said:

Yeah, probably but I don’t think he doesn’t live in a some kind of luxury and there is nothing wrong with that. I think it’s just because of their ‘punk’ label. Rock is not like that but punk and money don’t get along well for some people at least.

I think it's fine but it's also okay to admit it. We know he's not poor so there's no need to try hiding it 

Luxury is relative and although they may not live to the standard that they could, they still live a lot better than most, with multiple homes, boats, cars and other real estate and business holdings. That’s okay they’ve earned it but I think for where they’ve come from they prefer to downplay that to not seem like assholes, particularly when much of their friends and family are still working to middle class.

At the same time, it’s overkill and a little insulting to those who actually have very little to say they live as if they have “nothing”.  Please 🙄 Their brand of nothing is pretty comfortable still.

Honestly I'm reminded of my high school classmate who claimed her family wasn't really rich because her dad's Porshe was an older model :lol:

1 hour ago, stories and songs said:

My issues here come from a personal place of 1) dealing with his first meltdown during a very difficult time in my own life and struggling with the fact that my favorite band was just an added source of stress instead of a comfort and 2) dealing with family and friends who thought they had a handle on their addictions and did not. I’m not overly emotionally invested in his personal life, but obviously I like him and this band a whole lot and want them all to be well, and feel like they’re contradicting everything that made me such a happy fan just a few years ago. Their choices are their own and that’s cool. 

I'd recommended not being so emotionally attached to strangers that it impacts your mental health. You have no control over them; you can't let Billie's actions stress you out. Conversely, you shouldn't blame Billie for his addiction because he's not responsible to live his life in a way that pleases you. How would he know that you were personally struggling? Like...oh I shouldn't meltdown bc one fan of might be struggling? Anyway, it's probably good you are separating from them. 

Haven't bothered to read what this thread is about, but after a musician has made their first 10 million, they should pay US to take their albums.

Like "Hey, Chris. Here's 13.98 and our new album! Have a nice weekend." 

And then I say "Bye, Billie. You're like Santa Claus delivering all your albums by hand.  See ya in a few years!!!"

Subdivision smile and then done.

I have often wondered how the guys spend their day-to-day lives.  

The guys need reality shows. 

The  Boo!

The Snoo!

The Dirt!

29 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

I'd recommended not being so emotionally attached to strangers that it impacts your mental health. You have no control over them; you can't let Billie's actions stress you out. Conversely, you shouldn't blame Billie for his addiction because he's not responsible to live his life in a way that pleases you. How would he know that you were personally struggling? Like...oh I shouldn't meltdown bc one fan of might be struggling? Anyway, it's probably good you are separating from them. 

I never said Billie’s situation impacted my mental health – I said my mom was going through cancer treatments and it really just sucked that my favorite band wasn’t a source of happiness and comfort for me during what was the hardest part of my life, watching my mom go through that. The band’s future was uncertain and I was worried about the whole situation, as a great many fans were at that time. I don’t blame him for his addiction whatsoever, it is a disease. And I don’t blame him for the timing of it either, obviously, but I can take issue with the fact that he’s kinda sweeping it under the rug and continuing behaviors that he has stated publicly are problematic for him. It’s just my opinion, which I’ve tried to convey respectfully. We’ve always had nice conversations on here so I’d appreciate it if you did the same. :)

I'm happy that Billie is being open with the situation, but I kind of get the disappointment. I was a bit bummed to see he started drinking again considering what he's said in the past, but I just hope he's happy and being responsible. And that's all I can hope for. So far from what I've seen, he seems to be having a good time and I hope that continues :D

@stories and songs I think you're just doing what's good for you at this time and if it helps you to take a step back, that's great. I see it as it's like my relationship to certain celebrities who have something disparaging. They'll apologize and some fans are ready to get back on their side, but I just can't do it. I just remember how shitty they left me feeling with what they've said, so I kind of get it.

It was a decent interview. The pictures were the best part :P

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

At the same time, it’s overkill and a little insulting to those who actually have very little to say they live as if they have “nothing”.  Please 🙄 Their brand of nothing is pretty comfortable still.

Says they live like they have nothing.

Wears a $150 button down shirt (with cherries printed on it) on stage with a $900+ custom leather jacket.

But yes, i do agree that their version of "nothing" is pretty damn comfortable.

1 hour ago, Beerjeezus said:

Honestly I'm reminded of my high school classmate who claimed her family wasn't really rich because her dad's Porshe was an older model :lol:

I could buy an old ferrari so I guess I’m rich?

I don't care what he does as long as it doesn't lead to a bad end. 

1 minute ago, Sheenius said:

I could buy an old ferrari so I guess I’m rich?

You constantly brag about being rich so I would say so. :P

Just now, Beerjeezus said:

I don't care what he does as long as it doesn't lead to a bad end. 

You constantly brag about being rich so I would say so. :P

No but in all seriousness an old Ferrari would cost the same as 2 cars driven by middle class people. Average families have 3 cars. 

2 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

No but in all seriousness an old Ferrari would cost the same as 2 cars driven by middle class people. Average families have 3 cars. 

The thing is, you don't buy an old car worth two new cars unless you have enough disposable cash to buy an expensive car for fun, so yeah, still more of an indulgence than a $150 shirt.

Just now, Beerjeezus said:

The thing is, you don't buy an old car worth two new cars unless you have enough disposable cash to buy an expensive car for fun, so yeah, still more of an indulgence than a $150 shirt.

Really depends on use. On the books its less going out cause youre only insuring one and repairing one. Not realistic for a family though

4 hours ago, stories and songs said:

Ugh. Listen – I know a lot of people don’t like to talk about this, and Billie is an adult who can make his own decisions, but the whole “I had a good run being sober, so now let the good times roll!” stuff...quite frankly, pisses me off, and is the reason why I’m not into this era.

When Billie had his iHeart meltdown, my mom was going through treatment for breast cancer. I felt so fucking alone having to worry about my favorite singer and the future of my favorite band when I should’ve been able to lean on their music for comfort. He said, in his own words, that he was a drunk who would drink to the point of blacking out, and couldn’t stop at one drink. That even sober he still felt an obsession with alcohol, but that the band was supporting him in toning down the partying backstage. Mike was so supportive, and Tre said he was really scared when all of this was going down. I was so proud of how Billie and his band mates handled that situation, and RevRad went on to be the most joyful time I’ve ever had as a Green Day fan. They seemed so truly happy, so healthy, and so honest with themselves and with their music.

So singing about drugs and partying while freely admitting he’s no longer sober now just doesn’t float for me, and I feel embarrassed for ever believing they ever took this stuff seriously.

I don’t think anything I’m saying is overstepping any personal boundaries because this is all stuff they’ve shared themselves. And you know, if Billie has found a way to party and not ruin his life, good for him. But it reads to me as someone who just wants to sweep the yucky stuff under the rug so he can have fun again, and I’m not gonna stick around and wait to see how that goes. I’m just not. 2012 was a nightmare for me, personally and in the fandom. I hope that time never repeats itself, but I don’t think I can hang around to find out.

I agree with you completely. Seeing the band recover from the trilogy era to emerge into the incredible RevRad era was really something else. Now its starting to feel like we are going straight back there in some aspects. While I am trying to enjoy this era as much as I can, I can't say that it's not hard to read about Billie going straight back to drinking again and this is all happening after he was sober for a while before the trilogy era started (or so at least from what I remember).

I find it hard to believe that a lot of people on here don't care about them as people as much as some of us do, and it definitely can take it's toll emotionally especially when you are going through your own personal issues too and when you have seen what it does to countless rock stars in the past.

Even though i found things to ultimately enjoy about the trilogy, I personally tried to become less attached to them during that whole era because of all the questionable decisions they were making. Watching all of that happen was like watching it happen to family. It wasnt right, whether people want to admit it or not.

As mentioned we don't know them personally, but that doesn't me wean can't love them and what they do for us. I can only hope that the other boys are looking out for him and helping him keep it under control this time.

2 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

Oof. Hope things got better for them.

53 minutes ago, RisingRedWolf said:

I agree with you completely. Seeing the band recover from the trilogy era to emerge into the incredible RevRad era was really something else. Now its starting to feel like we are going straight back there in some aspects. While I am trying to enjoy this era as much as I can, I can't say that it's not hard to read about Billie going straight back to drinking again and this is all happening after he was sober for a while before the trilogy era started (or so at least from what I remember).

I find it hard to believe that a lot of people on here don't care about them as people as much as some of us do, and it definitely can take it's toll emotionally especially when you are going through your own personal issues too and when you have seen what it does to countless rock stars in the past.

Even though i found things to ultimately enjoy about the trilogy, I personally tried to become less attached to them during that whole era because of all the questionable decisions they were making. Watching all of that happen was like watching it happen to family. It wasnt right, whether people want to admit it or not.

As mentioned we don't know them personally, but that doesn't me wean can't love them and what they do for us. I can only hope that the other boys are looking out for him and helping him keep it under control this time.

It's not about not caring for me, it just that... there's nothing we can do. I don't want to spoil my enjoyment of the band by being too worried. At the same time, I don't want to detach because being in the fandom is fun, so the only option left is accepting that it's possible that things may take a wrong turn and admittedly that would hurt, but then again, no one forced me to get attached, and in no way will I ever be affected by it as anyone who's actually personally interested, so I don't know, this is it. I'd rather be a casual fan and since I'm not, I'm trying to be at least mentally prepared.

It's not about not caring for me, it just that... there's nothing we can do. I don't want to spoil my enjoyment of the band by being too worried. At the same time, I don't want to detach because being in the fandom is fun, so the only option left is accepting that it's possible that things may take a wrong turn and admittedly that would hurt, but then again, no one forced me to get attached, and in no way will I ever be affected by it as anyone who's actually personally interested, so I don't know, this is it. I'd rather be a casual fan and since I'm not, I'm trying to be at least mentally prepared.

One of the smartest things ever posted on this forum. Music is very personal, but putting so much concern into things you have zero control of is unhealthy.

Excellent wording and I understand completely.

At the same time though, I think it's important for everyone to remember that we're humans, just as they're humans.

I don't claim to know them personally, but sometimes people can't help the way they feel about something and there's nothing wrong with that.

They love making music and we love listening to it just as many of us also love the people behind it even if we give them some tough love sometimes. 

If this world didn't have love and caring, life simply wouldn't be worth living and for me personally, music is one of the very few things that keeps me going.

At the end of the day I just want to see them safe, healthy and happy even if I'm not going to think everything they put out is a masterpiece. 

It seems a little weird to think of the lead singer of a punk rock band not drinking. Let him be. He can do as he pleases. It will likely make the shows more fun. Some of those 21CB / early trilogy shows were hilarious. People are looking out for him now and I'm sure he's more conscious of his limits this time around.

1 hour ago, michael1989 said:

It seems a little weird to think of the lead singer of a punk rock band not drinking. Let him be. He can do as he pleases. It will likely make the shows more fun. Some of those 21CB / early trilogy shows were hilarious. People are looking out for him now and I'm sure he's more conscious of his limits this time around.

: /

Archived