Father of all Motherfuckers - What are your thoughts on the new album?

BeachBum

This thread is to share your thoughts and reviews of the new album.  It is to keep these posts and conversations from getting drowned out with all the news related posts in the main thread.

• Like 4

Best: Sugar youth, Graffitia, Stab you in the heart

Good: Father of all, Take the money and crawl,

Meh: oh yeah, Fire ready aim, Teenage Teenager, Junkies

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheLastForgotten said:

Junkies slowly grows on you

It definitely does.  

I find the only songs I am skipping on occasion are the first three, there's just times I can be bothered to listen to them.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BeachBum said:

I find the only songs I am skipping on occasion are the first three, there's just times I can be bothered to listen to them.

I find that too but that usually happens to me for songs that have already been released before the full album drops. In time I’ll get back into the first 3 songs too.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sheenius said:

I want them to buy Kool Aid. 

Only green Kool Aid now. 

I really believe Graffitia is good enough to fit on London Calling

Oh my lord imagine Joe Strummer singing Graffitia. That would be incredible 

• Like 2

Just now, Josh100_3 said:

Oh my lord imagine Joe Strummer singing Graffitia. That would be incredible 

Yeah!! It definitely’borrows’ the melody of “bank robber” from the clash. A nice little nod and tip of the hat to strummer 

• Like 1

Can we say that this is one of the best GD records in terms of production?
The quality of every instrument is just amazing. 
I was scared before FOAFM came out, but now you deserve my compliments, Butch Walker. 
Anyway, they have renewed their sound without changing it radically. 
My top 3: Teenage, Stab & Graffitia, but just because I've heard to the first singles too much, Father of all deserves a place in this chart.
Oh yeah is the only one I'd like to change in this record, but it's not a good problem 😎

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Alright, it’s no AI or 21CB, but after all the medium-ish to very low-ish expectations for this album, I’m loving it, on first listen too!  I would say Oh Yeah is probably my least favourite, well 2/3rd’s of it along with half of Junkies on a High. Only listened to the new tracks 4-10 through 3 times so far, so will give it a few more goes, but think Graffitia (whatever that means) is currently my fave.

Just noticed it’s currently no 1 on UK iTunes 😍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Matt. said:

My favorite set of lyrics so far is in “Junkies On a High” where Billie goes from using “Oh yeah” as filler to quoting the Kool-Aid man. And it fits with the song. Clever.

How did I not make that connection!?! 🤣

Wow, this album seems hella polarising. I don't get it, I mean I'd have every reason to get mad at them. I mean, yeah, they haven't released something that I REALLY like since 21CB, they're not even bothering to come to play in my country and the first few singles weren't incredible (didn't mind FOAM, Oh Yeah was mixed, FRA terrible). So I'd have every reason to hate this album.

However, I just can't get mad at them. Listening to the album it actually sounds genuine, like they're exploring these sounds, because they WANT to, not because of monetary incentives. I can respect that. It's not always my thing, though I quite like "Meet Me On the Roof", "Stab You In The Heart" and "Sugar Youth", but this is not "Green Day going pop", as one might have thought. 

I'll also disagree with the people criticising its length. That's a STRENGTH in my opinion. Short and sweet, non-offensive. People won't like to hear it, but it's what the trilogy should have been from the start. Rev-Rad has its place, I appreciate the time and effort that went into that album, but on some level it did seem a bit stale to me. I love the more classic Green Day sound, but to be honest, there are better records to listen to if that's what I want (Dookie, Insomniac, Nimrod, AI, 21CB). I also just didn't give this "album feeling" from it, but on FOAM I weirdly do get that feeling. People will disagree, that's fine. 

I think Rev Rad's songs are stronger individually, but this is narrowly a better album in my opinion.  

Not a masterpiece, but it is actually a fun album! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MillenniumFan said:

Wow, this album seems hella polarising. I don't get it, I mean I'd have every reason to get met at them. I mean, yeah, they haven't released something that I REALLY like since 21CB, they're not even bothering to come to play in my country and the first few singles weren't incredible (didn't mind FOAM, Oh Yeah was mixed, FRA terrible). So I'd have every reason to hate this album.

However, I just can't get mad at them. Listening to the album it actually sounds genuine. Not always my thing, though I quite like "Meet Me On the Roof", "Stab You In The Heart" and "Sugar Youth". 

I'll also disagree with the people criticising its length. That's a STRENGTH in my opinion. Short and sweet, non-offensive. People won't like to hear it, but it's what the trilogy should have been from the start. Rev-Rad has its place, I appreciate the time and effort that went into that album, but on some level it did seem a bit stale to me. I also just didn't give this "album feeling" from it, not like on 21CB or AI anyway, but on this album I weirdly do get that feeling. People will disagree, that's fine. 

I think Rev Rad's songs are stronger individually, but this is narrowly a better album in my opinion.  

Not a masterpiece, but it is actually a fun album! 

I don’t think it’s VERY polarizing looking at the comment we have been having in here and social media. To me it looks like there’s a vast majority appreciating the work, with variations from just liking most of it to loving it, and just a few still hating it. Polarizing was what we had with the singles, I’m quite happy of the reception I’m seeing, considering how different this record is for the band, I am actually positively surprised. 

I genuinely don’t get the hate for this.

the mixing on stereo is so damn good, lyrically, I  prefer it (on the most part) to RevRad.

Mike is terrific throughout this also, while the vocal flow is outstanding!

Graffitia and Junkies on a high NEED to be added to a live setlsit and kept for eternity. 

One if the more complete GD albums in a long time 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, purplebenny said:

Graffitia and Junkies on a high NEED to be added to a live setlsit and kept for eternity.

I concur.

• Like 1

Ok, only listened once but WHAT A BLAST
not used to fade out endings from my boys but hey, that’s not a big issue although I really didn’t want Grafittia to end!

• Like 1
  • Love 2

1 minute ago, jengd said:

Ok, only listened once but WHAT A BLAST
not used to fade out endings from my boys but hey, that’s not a big issue although I really didn’t want Grafittia to end!

My copy has just arrived in the post. Waiting for @solongfromthestars so we can listen together!

• Like 1