Father of all Motherfuckers - What are your thoughts on the new album?

BeachBum

14 hours ago, michael1989 said:

Given this album 6 months to grow on me now and it just hasn't at all.

The whole thing just feels completely under cooked in every way - superficial lyrics, weak production and a clash of different styles that don't gel. It doesn't flow at all as a cohesive album. It really does seem custom made for the streaming generation - unconnected short songs designed to make you want to replay. This is something I could have let go if the songs were actually any good, but they're not.

It's a real shame and IMO the first disappointing album they've ever released.

I hate to say it but I kind of agree. I still get some enjoyment from some songs, Graffitia probably being the best of the bunch, but overall it's a really lackluster release, especially by GD's usual standards. Originally I actually enjoyed the album after what I considered lackluster singles but I think the combination of them being new tracks and the surprise that the remaining songs were considerably better than the singles made me more lenient. When I first heard the album, I thought it was an 8/10. Now, I'd say it's a strong 5, maybe a light 6. It's only gotten worse over time for me

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Christian's Inferno! said:

I hate to say it but I kind of agree. I still get some enjoyment from some songs, Graffitia probably being the best of the bunch, but overall it's a really lackluster release, especially by GD's usual standards. Originally I actually enjoyed the album after what I considered lackluster singles but I think the combination of them being new tracks and the surprise that the remaining songs were considerably better than the singles made me more lenient. When I first heard the album, I thought it was an 8/10. Now, I'd say it's a strong 5, maybe a light 6. It's only gotten worse over time for me

Graffitia is actually a great song that fits the GD discog well. It feels like a side project they made on a long weekend or something when looking at the full album. 

American Idiot or 21cb casts a huge shadow over this one. It doesn't even feel like it could have been 1/3 of the trilogy. 

• Like 3

I agree Graffitia is the highlight. In saying that it's still not a great song. It's almost there. It really needs an extra verse or two. Billie said it's about "rust belt America", which is a great idea for a song but at only 3 minutes it doesn't leave a lasting impact. This could have been a great 6 - 8 minute epic on AI or 21CB. Perhaps they should have kept it for a future album. It's certainly relevant now.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, michael1989 said:

I agree Graffitia is the highlight. In saying that it's still not a great song. It's almost there. It really needs an extra verse or two. Billie said it's about "rust belt America", which is a great idea for a song but at only 3 minutes it doesn't leave a lasting impact. This could have been a great 6 - 8 minute epic on AI or 21CB. Perhaps they should have kept it for a future album. It's certainly relevant now.

I think the drawback on Graffitia is the production. I'm ok with it being a 3 minute song. 

• Like 1

On 8/21/2020 at 2:31 PM, michael1989 said:

I agree with this so much. Graffitia had the potential to be the Jesus of Suburbia or Forever Now of this album, it should have been way longer. I get some serious AI and 21CB vibes when I listen to it, but every time it ends I just think nooooo not yet! I liked most of the other FOAM songs too, but I'm still not a fan of the whole party-theme. The fact that Graffitia is on the album (and stands out so much compared to the other songs) gives me some hope that this style might be the direction they'll head in next.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, HAPPY ROOTING UNICORN said:

Going through the most horrible week of my life, within one of the worst years of my life (as for everyone most probably). 
Green Day is incredibly helping out as usual, and my connection with FOAM has grown even stronger. 
Fuck 2020 but at least I got this record, as unpopular as this might sound at the moment. 

Hope things get better soon :hug:

• Like 2

IDK MAN as time goes on I'm surprisingly liking this album a lot more! It's just fun to me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Great Saiyaman said:

IDK MAN as time goes on I'm surprisingly liking this album a lot more! It's just fun to me. 

It is fun no doubt, and I really enjoy listening to it, but I just get the nagging feeling that albums like this one used to be considered side projects. Now they’re the main event, and I have mixed feelings about that.

• Like 2

I have a super centrist opinion on FOAM, because on one hand, I really do wish there would be continuity with RevRad (I didn’t realize “Green Day but make it wholesome” could be a thing but since it happened I wouldn’t have it any other way), on the other hand, it’s such a fun album with a cool sound and I’m like “fuck it, I like this and that’s enough”.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

It is fun no doubt, and I really enjoy listening to it, but I just get the nagging feeling that albums like this one used to be considered side projects. Now they’re the main event, and I have mixed feelings about that.

Yeah I always kind of forget about it in the vast Green Day timeline of albums. I like it but for some reason it doesn't feel like it exists

6 minutes ago, The Great Saiyaman said:

Yeah I always kind of forget about it in the vast Green Day timeline of albums. I like it but for some reason it doesn't feel like it exists

Personally I go back and forth between feeling like it doesn’t feel like FOAM exists to it doesn’t feel like Green Day exists.  I can’t figure out which it is. 

I'm a late bloomer, but today FOAM era is oficially closed. This album helped me to get through tough times during first year PhD exams, which were succesfully passed, and through quarantine in general. FOAM will always be remembered as 'that' album, which came at hard times, and which is "going sideways" along the direction Green Day is going. 

Let's see what's next!

• Like 1

I’m just glad the internet has moved past Fantano’s review. Having one of the biggest bands in the world become a laughing stock over some dude’s exaggerated opinions is infuriating.

• Like 2

On 9/9/2020 at 7:09 AM, Bakabanas said:

I'm a late bloomer, but today FOAM era is oficially closed. This album helped me to get through tough times during first year PhD exams, which were succesfully passed, and through quarantine in general. FOAM will always be remembered as 'that' album, which came at hard times, and which is "going sideways" along the direction Green Day is going. 

Let's see what's next!

Congratulations on passing your exams! I am in the process of applying to a program to start in the spring semester. Everything has been going really well and I hope it stays that way.