USA Today: Green Day's Billie Joe Armstrong talks new album (and more)

HAPPY ZOMBIE UNICORN

Green Day's Billie Joe Armstrong talks new album, F-bombs and why Grammys are 'like a bad prom'

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/music/2020/02/06/green-day-billie-joe-armstrong-new-album-father-all-not-about-trump-likes-billie-eilish-nhl-f-bombs/4676022002/

(Sorry if it was posted already or if it is not worth a thread, I am loosing track of all this promotion 😂) 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, HAPPY ROOTING UNICORN said:

(Sorry if it was posted already or if it is not worth a thread, I am loosing track of all this promotion 😂) 

I think you're good. I haven't seen it elsewhere and since people clicking on it pays my bills, I'm fine giving it its own thread. :lol: (Maybe another mod will veto that though.)

I swear my entire night is going to be catching up with all these interviews!

Brief and they are becoming a little repetitive, no new questions here, but a little nugget about them struggling to come up with 16 tracks for Revrad which I don’t remember hearing at the time, kind of a throwaway comment.  

My bad, as @Montclare says below, he's said follow up to.... doh!

14 minutes ago, jengd said:

Brief and they are becoming a little repetitive, no new questions here, but a little nugget about them struggling to come up with 16 tracks for Revrad which I don’t remember hearing at the time, kind of a throwaway comment.  

He said for the followup to RevRad, not RevRad itself.

"It was a conscious choice, after struggling to string together the 16 tracks they recorded for their follow-up to 2016's "Revolution Radio."

30 minutes ago, jengd said:

Brief and they are becoming a little repetitive

I feel like every era's interviews have been quite repetitive tbh, save for the early years when they were young and goofing off at every angle haha 

Not that there's any major problem with either lol and we still get sporadic energy from them from time to time anyway :P 

22 minutes ago, Montclare said:

He said for the followup to RevRad, not RevRad itself.

"It was a conscious choice, after struggling to string together the 16 tracks they recorded for their follow-up to 2016's "Revolution Radio."

You are quite right but what a weird way to word it!

4 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

Billie sounds like such an old geezer complaining about the grammys but he's right

I feel like he makes up for that by praising Billie Eilish haha. That way he's not just going "kids these days and their shitty music"

It honestly feels like rock is actively being pushed out of the mainstream these days rather than naturally falling out. I feel like people are so open to any genre and mixing pieces of everything and it's just the industry infrastructure that's like, "nope, rock has no place here". 

9 hours ago, AlissaGoesRAWR said:

I think you're good. I haven't seen it elsewhere and since people clicking on it pays my bills, I'm fine giving it its own thread. :lol: (Maybe another mod will veto that though.)

i only clicked it so you get paid 

8 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

Billie sounds like such an old geezer complaining about the grammys but he's right

Fuck the grammys 

I'm happy for Billie and Finneas though 

I still don't get why he's so into Billie Eilish, though. I understand that he appreciates her drive and self motivation to make something she believes in and something that's not like anything else, but to me personally, it's just bad. As a lover of rock and roll, it's hard to see what he finds appealing about her music aesthetically. I can't even get through one song. I have nothing agains Billie Eilish as a person, her music is just not my taste at all.

3 hours ago, Green Day In Seattle said:

I still don't get why he's so into Billie Eilish, though. I understand that he appreciates her drive and self motivation to make something she believes in and something that's not like anything else, but to me personally, it's just bad. As a lover of rock and roll, it's hard to see what he finds appealing about her music aesthetically. I can't even get through one song. I have nothing agains Billie Eilish as a person, her music is just not my taste at all.

Xanny has Jazz vocal phrasings and it's a cool tune 

She can sing and she has some cool vocal phrasings that fall onto different inspirations 

I'm curious to see where she takes it with the next album 

Honestly, I'm starting to come around to Bad Guy, but most of her music doesn't click with me either. I like that she's doing her own thing, the way she wants to. I'm glad for all the success she's achieved so far.

10 minutes ago, kaylubd said:

Honestly, I'm starting to come around to Bad Guy, but most of her music doesn't click with me either. I like that she's doing her own thing, the way she wants to. I'm glad for all the success she's achieved so far.

I must agree with you about 10 x per day.

9 hours ago, Green Day In Seattle said:

I think he finds her to be an honest heartfelt artist and he connects with artists like him that sing about their truth. He also likes the mixed genre thing many artists do today and she really embraces that. I’m not a pop fan but I really like and respect her and the deep emotional place her music comes from.

9 hours ago, Green Day In Seattle said:

He is not the only one. Almost all of the important rock artists are really into her. I’ve never seen any other musician that is praised like her before. I don’t get that much hype either, there must be something I guess but I honestly don’t see it.

I’m not a Billie Eillish fan but I heard a bit of her on Howard Stern and she has a really mature bluesy voice, and Billie loved Amy Winehouse, they are a little similar to me.  I was surprised because at the time, my first thought was she could have been in a club in the 40s/50s with that voice.

18 minutes ago, jengd said:

I’m not a Billie Eillish fan but I heard a bit of her on Howard Stern and she has a really mature bluesy voice, and Billie loved Amy Winehouse, they are a little similar to me.  I was surprised because at the time, my first thought was she could have been in a club in the 40s/50s with that voice.

I thought the same thing that’s funny. Old souls with a lot of depth in their vocals

OMG has anyone seen the fuckin' BuzzFeed article claiming that he was "dragging" Ariana Grande in this interview as a way of praising Billie Eilish?? I just spent like a half hour venting to my best friend who shared it with me in a text -- how objectively stupid!

3 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/ryanschocket2/billie-joe-armstrong-shades-ariana-grande-billie-eilish

and as much as I don’t like Buzzfeed they’re right stop putting down one woman to bring up another one 

it has nothing to do with gender

6 hours ago, jengd said:

her song Xanny shows some Jazz potential 

7 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

it has nothing to do with gender

He could’ve easily picked a male artist or better yet and the smart move is he could’ve just said he liked Billie Ellish and left it at that 

3 hours ago, WhiteTim said:

He could’ve easily picked a male artist or better yet he could’ve just said he liked Billie Ellish and left it at that 

Once again has nothing to do with gender lol Someone was at work today and needed to write a SJW article. That person took it that way but that's not what he was doing. 

Honestly, 2020 is exhausting cause anyone can be offended by anything because their feelings are hurt. We should let em cry it out to the open air. Then maybe, just maybe, they'll build a callus. 

Archived