Forbes Q&A: Green Day On Fame, Politics, New Music And Dessert With Jack Nicholson

Rumpelstiltskin2000

Article here from Forbes:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevebaltin/2020/02/06/qa-green-day-on-fame-politics-new-music-and-dessert-with-jack-nicholson/#51371fae4297

Q&A: Green Day On Fame, Politics, New Music And Dessert With Jack Nicholson

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

Green Day's latest collection, Father Of All Motherf**kers, is, in the opinion of, the band's Mike Dirnt, vintage Green Day. A tight, direct, no punches pulled 10 songs clocking in at 36 minutes, it reminds Dirnt of the band's '90s breakthroughs, Dookie and Insomniac.

Of course, the Green Day of 2020 are a quarter of a century older, wiser and have a successful rock opus turned into a Broadway play, American Idiot, under their belts. So there is no going all the way back.

Lyrically deep, biting and insightful and musically infectious and engaging, built for the band's upcoming "Hella Mega" stadium tour with Weezer and Fall Out Boy, Father Of All is Green Day in 2020, the composite of more than 30 years of rock.

Though the album wasn't intended to be an over political statement, frontman Billie Joe Armstrong says of course there are political undertones throughout the collection. "I think right now in rock music if you're not dangerous you're not pulling your weight," Armstrong says.

I spoke with Armstrong, Dirnt and Tre Cool individually in the days following their performance at the NHL All-Star Game. As you will read here, all three have their own takes and their own stories, from meeting Pete Townshend and Jack Nicholson to the uniqueness of fame. But collectively they remain a tight-knit explosive trio. This is Green Day in 2020.  

Steve Baltin: This record you explored a lot of different styles. Were there influences that you hadn't thought about in some time that surprised you in coming to the surface?

Billie Joe Armstrong: I've had different people that I admired. I remember my dad telling me he learned how to play the drums by playing Fats Domino records. So maybe there's something there. I'm the youngest of six kids, so I got a pretty vast record collection that was handed down to me, whether it was just them playing and it hid in my subconscious. I think those influences have always been there inside the music that we put in, especially just playing garage music. But I think this is the first time we peeled off the layers and let it shine a little bit more. For me, growing up, I got in this to not grow up (laughs). It's just the f**king truth. I love rock and roll and I think the spark for me is I'll always remember the first time ever hitting a successful power chords and just feeling like the earth was shaking. So that's always been what the MO is for Green Day, to be fresh and make things feel empowered to feel like rock and roll can change the world.

Baltin: Even though this isn't a political record Mike said this had some of his favorite lyrics of yours, including some very biting ones.

Armstrong: I think that politics are inside the record, but I think it's that internal toxic level that is within all of us. Trump is deliberately trying to separate the country. So I think inside the record is trying to have more empathy. It's easy to spit wad at a picture of Donald Trump. But to actually have empathy for people that live in the rust belts that are losing their identity, lost their jobs, losing their industry or to young black men being shot in the street by a bunch of dirty cops, that's sort of what makes people really angry and frustrated with their situation that they live in. I think that's the kind of the stuff that inside the record, once you peel back the layers of it.

Baltin: Were there things that emerged in the record that surprised you?

Armstrong: I think one line that's in "Junkies" that says, "Rock and roll tragedy/I think the next one could be me." Depression is a real thing. "Lying in a bed of blood and money," that's some heavy s**t, and I don't always know what it means. I think I just sort of write songs that make me feel like my hair is being set on fire (laughs). And I think just the up-tempo of the whole record, or even a line in "I Was A Teenage Teenager" like, "Who's holding the drugs ?" That just feels very dangerous and I think right now in rock music if you're not dangerous you're not pulling your weight. So hopefully that's what we're trying to come across.

Baltin: It's interesting what you say about the depression because fame is a dangerous drug. Do you ever get used to what comes with fame?

Armstrong: I always look at pop culture as being this big neighborhood and the people that win the most Grammys are the ones that live in the richest neighborhoods. Whereas I've always felt we're coming from the far left or something. So it's like we come in with just enough time to spray paint some graffiti and get the f**k out. It's weird because there is a high to it and it's really fun and it really pushes your adrenaline. But it's becoming more and more fleeting. It's just like the other day, we played the NHL All-Star halftime and then we trended because of some cuss words that I said. Now trending, for me, is sort of a new word that I barely know what it means except for in the past. But it's so fleeting, it goes so fast. You get that quick buzz and you're like, "Holy f**k, I didn't even have time to enjoy it." You never do with fame cause it is fleeting. So it's important for me to be happy. Fame and happiness are two completely different things. For me, I love playing music with my friends and I love playing clubs with them, I love playing covers with Mike. I love just being active in that way because it's like with Green Day it can get you high as f**k because you're gonna play a f**king stadium. And then all of a sudden you're home and it's like, "S**t, I gotta call someone up, let's go meet up and hang out and have coffee and maybe play a couple of songs together."

Baltin: Since the old joke is all musicians want to be athletes and vice versa, how is it for you guys to play the NHL All-star Game and be around all those players?

Tre Cool: If you're a drummer you get the best of both worlds because playing drums is a very athletic activity. I like hockey, it was really cool to be at that all-star game. I admittedly had never even watched it on television before. I kind of studied up on it a little bit and I thought, "This is badass, this is like a total fan fest." A friend of mine whose son plays hockey I invited him to come with us and man, this kid caught a puck from the skills challenge. He got a bunch of players to sign it and then to top it off he met [Wayne] Gretzky, chatted him up a little bit and then got his autograph. That kid had the best time of all. It's so fun for the kids. NHL is rad.

Baltin: Who was the last person you had a that star struck experience with?

Tre: When I met Pete Townshend. I'd always kind of heard he can be pretty intense and I'm such a huge Who fan that I was pretty nervous to meet him because he's one of my all-time favorite musicians. So then Zak Starkey was like, "Hey, you want to meet Pete?" We went in and he was super nice and engaging and knew exactly who the f**k I was, which was weird to me in the first place, and was really interested in talking to me about the band and all this other stuff. I'm like, "Okay, this is great." Then I found out later from one of his techs that when American Idiot was new Pete was listening to that record on repeat. And this is a guy that listens to opera. He got into American Idiot and that's probably why he knew who I was and was so nice to me. But I was super nervous to meet that guy.

Baltin: Is that unusual for you to get that nervous?

Tre: I don't really get star struck, people are people. We all like dessert, we all like the same stuff, we're all human beings. So whether or not you're a ridiculously good artist or actor or famous, fame doesn't really impress me. I think being a good human does. So when I meet some of these people and they're super famous and less good of humans I'm like, "Go figure." But when you meet them and they're awesome, like Jack Nicholson went off and talked to me about all the different kinds of desserts that he loves and then smoked his weed with me, but you're like, "This is Cuckoo's Nest, this is one of the greatest actors of all time and he's like, 'Cake, what up?'" It's cool.

Baltin: Does having those moments allow you to keep that empathy for when people meet you?

Tre: Yeah, that's a good point. I know that when people like our band they're stoked to meet me or maybe nervous. But I've always tried to leave a good impression with people when I meet them, whether it's little conversation, asking them about what they're into. Basically it's real simple, just don't be a dick. If you're not in the best mood or don't really feel like it you're gonna make an impact on this person one way or another. And a bad story about somebody like me is gonna get more traction than a good one. So keep everything cool.

Baltin: I love the brevity of the record. It feels like those old Ramones records. What was it about these 10 songs that collectively worked together for you guys?

Mike Dirnt: That's what we were thinking. We had like six or seven more songs and then Billie started really thinking, going, "What else does this need? What does it not need?" And we pulled it back and went, "Man, this is the right length for a record." When is the last time you sat down for 26 minutes and listened to one thing or did one thing without an interruption? That is still a very long time nowadays. But some of my favorite records are short ones like that.

Tre: The songs kind of spoke to each other and it kind of happened where we didn't get in their way. We had different versions of different sequences with more songs on it and it was good, it didn't have that flow. I really like records that get in, get out, you can listen to the whole thing on your way to work. I really like records that kind of hit your over the head, but kind of sucks you in and I think this record does that.

Baltin: What are a few of those records that come to mind for you?

Dirnt: You definitely think Ramones. I actually thought it hearkened back to Dookie and Insomniac for us because Dookie was 27 minutes, 28 minutes, and Insomniac wasn't much longer. But those records never felt short to me. It's all about the arc of the record. And what's the old saying, "Don't bore us, get to the chorus." We don't need to repeat a chorus two more times and another verse. We get the point across that it's power packed, people are gonna want to start the song over again.

Baltin: Where does this record take you when you hear it?

Tre: It makes me want to party, it makes me want to celebrate. It makes me want to high five whoever is around and grab a cold one and put it back on again. It makes you feel something. There are records like Blackstar from David Bowie made me cry in the car.

[This] makes you want to shout from the mountaintop.

Baltin: Did you feel it was important to make a fun escapist type record?     

Dirnt: Yes, but this record tackles some pretty heavy [things]. Billie's got a line in there that says, "Burning books in a bullet-proof backpack" or in "Junkies On A High," "Rock and roll tragedy/I feel the next one could be me." These things are all very currently topical, but in Green Day fashion, musically, it's Billie, Mike and Tre doing what we do. And our energy is one of the defining characteristics of this band and you either want to drive really fast to it or in this case we really dug into more danceable things. But I think these are some of Billie's most cutting lyrics ever.

Baltin: Are there old songs you're eager to bring back?

Dirnt: Yeah, it's one of those things, we love playing our hits too because there is just a combined energy. Playing "Basket Case" doesn't get old. Anybody in a band who gets tired of playing their hits like that, maybe you're just not playing them right. Playing "Holiday" never gets old. We'll see. People ask, "What's the hardest thing about being Green Day?" I say, "Figuring out the f**king set list."

Baltin: So how do you build that set list?

Dirnt: We were just having this conversation a few weeks ago. Streaming is still fairly new to us so we were looking at some of our biggest songs and when Warning came out, I love that record, it's one of my favorites, but by and large it was looked at as a departure and a disappointment on a popular level. But I think it's some of our strongest work. But the interesting thing is "Minority," that's where Billie started speaking about his political beliefs a lot more. And, number two, I remember "Minority" coming out and it was good, but over the years that song live has just gotten bigger and bigger. We looked at out streaming and it's one of biggest streamed songs. We had no idea. So it's really cool how kids can just download things and how a live show also can evolve things. Kids pick up on things and all of a sudden that song kind of became a moment on tour.

"Jack Nicholson went off and talked to me about all the different kinds of desserts that he loves and then smoked his weed with me"

What a fucking dream. 

Remember when we were complaining about lack of promotion, not enough interviews, and appearances? Now we can't keep up! :lol:

“I love just being active in that way because it's like with Green Day it can get you high as f**k because you're gonna play a f**king stadium. And then all of a sudden you're home and it's like, "S**t, I gotta call someone up, let's go meet up and hang out and have coffee and maybe play a couple of songs together." (Billie)

Explains why he bought that bar I think. I can see him spending too much time at home, needing another rush and now he can just decide to go to the Bull and play with any one of his half a dozen side projects (or make a new one). It’s all in service of his addiction to playing 💚

And lol Mike complaining about the set list again! It’s not hard Mike, just do what The Interrupters did. Post to IG and ask fans what they want to hear. 

Just an fyi that we have an "interview" tag that you guys can use when you make a thread for an interview in GD chat. We can add it anyway if you don't but just so you know. I find it useful to click on to find all the recent interviews.

20 minutes ago, kaylubd said:

Remember when we were complaining about lack of promotion, not enough interviews, and appearances? Now we can't keep up! :lol:

So true, I have spent to much of today catching up on soooooo many interviews and reviews, and I thought the madness would start tomorrow!  Fantastic, I love this!

39 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

It’s all in service of his addiction to playing 💚

Yes, I think he definitely has an addiction to playing live. He couldn't drop and keeps playing and are there how many bands around play 3+ hours shows anyway? GD could not play that much every night yes but I think on Tre’s birthday at Tiki Bar he could take his enough dose lol 

9 minutes ago, Beyza said:

at Tiki Bar he could take his enough dose lol 

Spoiler

he probably did take a dose that night :lol:

3 minutes ago, Flashback said:

Funny that Forbes writes much more positive things about the album than Rolling Stone 😅

Rolling Stones still have to write a review, don't they?

If they do they'll probably give it 3/5. I feel like RS just writes middling reviews because they get paid under the table for favorable reviews - at least I think they do.

19 minutes ago, kaylubd said:

If they do they'll probably give it 3/5. I feel like RS just writes middling reviews because they get paid under the table for favorable reviews - at least I think they do.

Let’s hope Scott Nagelberg is carrying a huge suitcase then :P 

34 minutes ago, HAPPY ROOTING UNICORN said:

Rolling Stones still have to write a review, don't they?

German edition?

Just now, jengd said:

German edition?

Ah the bratwurst edition, forgot about that.

2 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

They seem to love the rocknroll tragedy line

With good reason! I wanna mainline that shit right into my eyeball. Darker lyrics like those are why I love this band.

13 minutes ago, localinsomniac said:

With good reason! I wanna mainline that shit right into my eyeball. Darker lyrics like those are why I love this band.

Same, I'm a sucker for the dark lyrics. I don't want them to be too autobiographical, but I'm a fan

5 hours ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

Tre: Yeah, that's a good point. I know that when people like our band they're stoked to meet me or maybe nervous. But I've always tried to leave a good impression with people when I meet them, whether it's little conversation, asking them about what they're into. Basically it's real simple, just don't be a dick. If you're not in the best mood or don't really feel like it you're gonna make an impact on this person one way or another. And a bad story about somebody like me is gonna get more traction than a good one. So keep everything cool.

This. This right here. 💖

3 hours ago, Beerjeezus said:

Bratwurst, the exclusive German track

I literally wrote lyrics for it when that joke was a thing :P 

2 minutes ago, 21st_century_gloria said:

This. This right here. 💖

I literally wrote lyrics for it when that joke was a thing :P 

no excuse not to share

11 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

no excuse not to share

Do you really want them? They're awful lmao

5 hours ago, kaylubd said:

Lol ahhh I did a lot of that... I feel like every time I say something on GDC, I end up getting kicked in the face a few days later :P 

Finally read this one too. It's interesting that this era Billie is talking more about his relationship with fame. I feel like he hasn't really talked about it in the past. Another solid interview! At least they didn't ask "So who is the father of all motherfuckers?"

Archived