Green Day on Rockzone

WorryRock02

Last october Rockzone interviewed Green Day while they were in Madrid. Here you can find scans but you can also download for free the on your mobile phone or tablet via the App Store (for Apple devices) or Google Play (for Android).

83668641_4037434869615518_20194100167458

83738015_4037434416282230_52732329504926

83714125_4037434882948850_53770534855418

83860876_4037432686282403_68164303250364

it's in spanish so i'll try to translate something later in the day ( it's readable if you open each images )

I mean, they had to take this into account, but if I had been asked 70 times in one day “who is the father of all motherfuckers” at a certain point my only possible answer would have been “you, motherfucker”. 

4 minutes ago, legendary said:

Finally they asked about the cover art

Who would have ever expected that answer, eh? :P 

(The answer, for those of you who don’t speak Spanish, is something like “it’s making fun of ourselves and our legacy”) 

4 minutes ago, legendary said:

Finally they asked about the cover art

I can't read it. What did they answer?

2 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

You're answer is here:

4 minutes ago, HAPPY ROOTING UNICORN said:

Who would have ever expected that answer, eh? :P 

(The answer, for those of you who don’t speak Spanish, is something like “it’s making fun of ourselves and our legacy”) 

6 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Something like “I would say that it is like throwing shit at our own image*, which I think is an interesting idea. It’s like making fun of ourselves and our legacy”. 

*Personal take at how I believe Billie would say this in English, I don’t buy that he pronounced the literal translation of that, which is degrading our own image:P 

6 minutes ago, HAPPY ROOTING UNICORN said:

Something like “I would say that it is like denigrating our own image, which I think is an interesting idea. It’s like making fun of ourselves and our legacy”. 

I think it's such a great idea. They can even make a whole album refers to all their old stuff, crazy but possible lol

4 minutes ago, Beyza said:

I think it's such a great idea. They can even make a whole album refers to all their old stuff, crazy but possible lol

Yeah, that’s how I sort of interpreted it so far. Maybe a bit more as a provocation towards fans, and it’s nice to see that it is actually mainly about making fun of themselves. They have always been great at this. 
I’ve never been one of those hating the cover art (especially since I do love Horny :P), but this makes it even more enjoyable. 

Fun how they correct the interviewer saying that Stop drop and roll and not 21CB is the actual follow up album to AI :D 

Probably the most interesting interview so far, they also touch upon how SWMRS and Ultra Q influenced them, and the Warner contract. About this they say they don’t care if they are gonna stay with Warner, another major, or go independent. They just want to be able to release music however the fuck they want. 

And Billie basically says MOOTIK cannot be their record (this was before Panicland confirmed it was them) because he doesn’t even know what Magnun Opus means in Latin 😂😂😂😂😂

I had a feeling defacing their own image and legacy was the point of that art.  Would love a translation of the rest this sounds like a good interview.

Just now, HAPPY ROOTING UNICORN said:

And Billie doesn’t exclude a club tour in Europe :P @Beerjeezus 

wduhbksjnvldkb I will not survive the stress trying to buy the tickets :lol:

4 hours ago, HAPPY ROOTING UNICORN said:

And Billie says a club tour in Europe is a possibility :P @Beerjeezus @Thatsername

He lies

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/entertainment/music/green-day-want-to-get-closer-to-fans-when-they-tour-australia-early-next-year/news-story/9bdf824b27a6fbf9ee6a1d739e29e511?sv=66d149302be6c568892ea60fa26780b2

Still waiting - maybe this is our year😣

5 minutes ago, UNICORN VOMIT said:

He lies

Maybe it'll be the shock from the fact that he wasn't lying for once that'll kill me

Just now, Beerjeezus said:

Maybe it'll be the shock from the fact that he wasn't lying for once that'll kill me

You really have a love/hate relationship with this band😋 same here.

2 minutes ago, UNICORN VOMIT said:

You really have a love/hate relationship with this band😋 same here.

It's mainly love, but I never believe anything Billie says :ga: 

Ok sorry for some mistake but i tried to translate it in english, since this is a very interesting interview ( It is not a literal translation )

In my head I'm still trying to assimilate what happened a few minutes ago in a hotel in Madrid. For 20 minutes I had the opportunity to speak alone in a room with one of the groups that marked my adolescence and that of millions of people around the world. Because if Billie Joe Amstrong Mike Dirnt and Tré Cool can boast of something, it is knowing that they have led entire generations to discover what punk rock is or them. That they had such an impact, first with Dookie in 1994 and ten years later with American Idiot, is what in a way led this band to talk about their new album on a sunny Monday at the end of October.

Taking advantage of their performance at the MTV EMA which took place a few days later in Seville and an "intimate" concert in front of less than 2,000 people in La Riviera where they also played Dookie, Warners decided to create the its base of operations in the Spanish capital to undertake the promotional campaign of Father Of All, the 13th sudio album of the Berkeley trio.

A job that we have the opportunity to listen to few hours before our meeting with the band. Giving a refreshing turn to what had been their last releases,  this time Green day chose to embrace other types of classic influences that had always been present in their music, but that for the first time also, they are not afraid to show it in a way so clear, in a certain way. At least, it looks more fun and concise (barely reaching 26 minutes) than its predecessor, Revolution Radio. But not only is this album what drew attention to the California trio in these months prior to its release.

After confessing in an interview with KROQ, the influential Los Angeles broadcaster, that this would be the last album they contracted with Warner, rumors of their future skyrocketed.
The most talked about theory is the fact that a new album will be able to see the light once FOAM is released. As you will read below, the group does not confirm or deny, but seeing the concern with which their label managers have asked us to focus on asking questions about the disc they are promoting, perhaps the theories are not so misleading.

But let's go back to the hotel room, where besides all this we also talk about the inspiration that led their children to take their first steps in the music industry, the memory of their visits to Spain playing in squat  in the early 90's , or the Hella Mega Tour, the mammoth tour that will bring them together with Weezer, Foll Out Boy and The Interrupters in stadiums all over the world. As they reveal, they will not pass through Spain. We will have to wait until 2021 to see them again here. After asking them to sign me a copy of the first RockZone issue, which was released exactly 15 years ago with American Idiot on the cover, all four of us sat on a large sofa. The nerves were tense and it took me a few seconds longer than normal to start. It is not every day that you find yourself in front of your teen idols.

YOUR NEW ALBUM IS CALL '' FATHER OF ALL MOTHERFUCKERS '' WHO IS THE FATHER OF ALL THE MOTHERF?
BILLIE JOE ARMSTRONG: Well I guess you can't avoid thinking about Donald Trump with such a title. I don't know, it just occurred to me. I thought it was great and decided to write a song about it

THE TRUTH IS THAT AT THE BEGINNING, I THOUGHT IT WAS A REFERENCE TO TRUMP TOO, BUT YOU SAID THAT THIS IS NOT A POLITICAL ALBUM. YOU WOULD FIND TOO OBVIOUS AND REPETITIVE MAKE ANOTHER ALBUM WITH THAT THEME?
- BILLIE: We like creating new things for us and keeping it fresh. I think if we tried American idiot part.2 we wouldn't be honest with ourselves. It is important for us to find new sounds such as soul music, Motown, garage rock, glam and so on. There is a lot of this on this record.

MY FEELING IS THAT, WITH THIS ALBUM, IT 'S LIKE IF YOU WANT TO SAY  A HUGE '' FUCK YOU AND EVERYONE ELSE, WE ARE GOING TO HAVE A PARTY ''. THE ATWORK ITSELF SEEMS TO SAY IT. I DON'T KNOW IF YOU ARE ALLOWED TO EXPLAIN IT OR NOT, BUT CAN YOU COMMENT THE REASON FOR THE AMERICAN IDIOT GRENADE AND THE UNICORN?
- MIKE DIRNT: Today there is nothing better than a unicorn to say fuck you 
- BILLIE JOE: I would say it is like degrading our own image, which seems to me an interesting idea. It is about laughing a little about our legacy, just to say

MUSICALLY THIS ALBUM IS INSPIRED BY THE ROCK 'N ROLL OF THE 50's AND 60's, SOUL, GARAGE. I THINK IT HAS MUCH OF WHAT YOU HAVE DONE WITH THE FOXBORO HOT TUBS ALBUM. THERE ARE INFLUENCES THAT HAVE ALWAYS BEEN THERE, BUT THIS IS THE FIRST TIME YOU USE IT IN A CLEAR WAY
- BILLIE: We never try to do things we've already done. It is always important to seek inspiration and fight for it. Many people think that being inspired is something like suddenly you had a divine blessing. But for me it's about working hard. This is when things start to emerge.

I DON'T KNOW HOW YOU SEE IT, BUT I HAVE THE FEELING THAT EVERY TIME THAT YOU RELEASE SOMETHING NEW,  IS LIKE A REACTION OF WHAT YOU HAVE DONE BEFORE. FOR EXAMPLE AFTER 21ST CENTURY BREAKDOWN, WHICH WAS A CONTINUATION OF AMERICAN IDIOT, YOU HAVE RELEASED UNO... DOS ... TRE. AFTER A MORE CONVENTIONAL ALBUM AS REVOLUTION RADIO, YOU ARE NOW BACK WITH ONE OF YOUR SHORTER AND CAREFREE WORKS. MY THEORY IS THAT LESS PREDICTABLE YOU ARE, THE BETTER WILL BE YOUR MUSIC.
- BILLIE: I believe it too. It is always believed that the American idiot follow-up is 21s1Century Breakdown, but that's what we did as Foxboro Hot Tubs. This is one of my favorite albums of everything we've made. And at the same time we are in a similar moment when we wanted to have fun. I think it's something you can perceive by listening to the album. But at the same time we are playing with the same energy that we have always had. There are many emotions: confusion, joy, anger, sadness ... Everything works ..

TALKING ABOUT INSPIRATION, YOUR SONS ARE ALSO CREATING THEIR MUSIC (JOEY PLAYS THE DRUM IN SWMRS, AND JAKOB HAS HIS BAND, ULTRA Q) YOU YOU THINK YOU HAVE BEEN INFLUENCED BY THEM, SOME WAY?
- BILLIE: Oh definitely. I think they are an example of the fact that new groups can do great things. Thanks to them I discovered bands like White Reaper, which I think are fanatics. And the music they are doing with SWMRS and Ultra Q is also exceptional. One thing I learned from having kids who are involved in music is that they care less about styles, they focus on taking what they want from every place to mix them. For example, it's very rare to see a guy in a Greatful Dead shirt and a leather jacket with a Sex Pistols pin. Now people are using different music elements and are starting to create their own style with that.

I KNOW THIS COULD BE A DIFFICULT QUESTION, BUT IT IS VOX POPULI THAT 'FOAM' WILL END YOUR CONTRACT WITH THE WARNER. I DON'T KNOW IF YOU ARE ALLOWED TO TALK ABOUT IT ...
TRÉ COOL: Are youyou offering us money?

WELL I DON'T HAVE A LOTS OF MONEY, BUT WE COULD NEGOTIATE IT
- MIKE: The true is that we never thought about continuing to work with them or not. We will always need a label where we can publish our music, whether we do it alone or if you want some kind of negotiation. We simply want to make music and publish it
- BILLIE: We want that everything is less structured and more concentrated so that we can do what we want

BUT ARE YOU THINKING TO CREATE YOUR OWN INDEPENDENT LABEL? IN FACT YOU HAVE THE ADELINE RECORDS
- BILLIE: I don't know. We closed it a couple of years ago.
- MIKE: Also, whether we continue with Warner, whether we will go elsewhere or become independent, the most important thing for us is to be able to publish our music in the way we want. For example, if we decided to write a song in this room today, we could upload it to Internet tonight. We would like to have the same freedom as they do in hip hop today

THE TRUTH IS THAT AT THIS MOMENT, RAP AND POP ARE CONCENTRATED ON THE RELEASE SINGLES AT EVERY MOMENT. ON THE OTHER HAND, PEOPLE LISTENING TO ROCK NEED TO HAVE A WHOLE ALBUM BECAUSE A SONG IS NOT ENOUGH. DO YOU THINK THAT ROCK BANDS MAY HAVE BEEN STUCK IN THE ALBUM CULTURE?
- MIKE: I don't know. I think most groups who have been doing this for some time could afford to publish a single since they have many followers. Whether they are on a record label or not. I think it's something exciting for any group. '
- TRE: The point is that many veteran rock bands have very obsolete contracts. The new artists that are emerging can avoid it and have more freedom
- MIKE: But we also want to have the honor to publish albums because that's where we come from. We like both

NOT A LONG TIME AGO, IN AN INTERVIEW FOR KROQ, YOU HAVE LEFT TO INTEND THAT IN 2020 ANOTHER GREEN DAY ALBUM MAY BE PUBLISHED ....
- BILLIE: The fact is that we have many songs as good as those that were not included in the album because they were not suitable for Father Of All. But yes, we will find a way to publish them and give them shape. It all depends on how we will do it. You use a sort of market on rock club forms, where you can come in and take whatever you want,  where you can play and then pull publish a 7 ". It is about creating situations different from what we did, instead of "OK, here's the new album, the next interview, the next tour ...". We want to throw ourselves into interesting things and feel creative with it.

HOWEVER I KNOW THERE HAVE BEEN MANY RUMORS ABOUT IT. ALSO A POSSIBLE ALBUM THAT IS CIRCULATING ONLINE WITH THE TITLE OF MAGNUM OPUS OF THE INGLORIOUS KIND. WHAT CAN YOU TELL ME ABOUT THIS?
- MIKE: After the huge success of Father Of All…
- BILLIE: These are rumors circulating on the internet. But, that' what makes social networks great: the way you can advertise things.  I could never choose a title like Magum Opus I don't know what, which is a Latin phrase that I don't even know what it means. We can use this title and publish music with that name, I don't know. It's like choosing an Easter egg. Maybe we will have a few more songs and end up making a new album. We'll see

OK LET'S CHANGE ARGUMENT, IN ADDITION TO FOAMF IN 2020 YOU WILL TAKE ONE OF THE GREATEST MOMENTS OF THE YEAR WITH THE HELLA MEGA TOUR TOGETHER WITH WEEZER AND FALL OUT BOY. HOW DID THE IDEA OJ JOINING FORCES BETWEEN BAND COME ABOUT?  
- BILLIE: We wanted to have the atmosphere of a festival in a big concert for many people. We thought it would be fun to bring Fall Out Boy and Weezer and that people could see them. It's simple

YOU ALSO INCLUDED THE INTERRUPTERS IN THE PACKAGE. ARE ONE OF YOUR FAVORITE BANDS TODAY?
- MIKE: They are a great live band with great people. After the last tour they did with us, they started playing in very large stadiums in the United States. We thought it would be nice to bring people we consider family members on this tour

THE TRUTH IS THAT THEY ARE GROWING VERY FAST. DO YOU THINK THAT ONE DAY THEY COULD PLAY IN THE PLACES WHERE YOU PLAY?
- MIKE: They will, because they will come with us. But anything is possible. They are a large group.

WHY DO YOU SEEM IT'S MORE DIFFICULT TO HIGHLIGHT NEW GROUPS INSIDE ROCK?
- THREE: I think everything is common. But for many people the easiest option is pop. Peopole  usually goes towards what is simple

AT THE MOMENT YOU HAVE NOT ANNOUNCED SHOWS IN SPAIN FOR THE HELLA MEGA TOUR. YOU WILL COME?
- BILLIE: I know Green Days are likely to return in 2021, but it may not be with the Hella Mega Tour

I WOULD LIKE YOU TO THINK A MOMENT IN THE PAST AND THE FIRST VISITS YOU HAVE MADE IN SPAIN IN THE EARLY 90s. WHEN YOU PLAYED A SQUAT, BEFORE DOOKIE BREAKED. WHAT DO YOU REMEMBER THAT PERIOD?
- THREE: It was a lot of fun
- BILLIE: In Madrid, we played for the first time with The Meteors, a psychobilly group. We had great fun. I remember partying all night. We made good friends in Zaragoza, and they taught us how to really celebrate. We were 19 years old

ARE YOU STILL IN CONTACT WITH PEOPLE WHO HAVE ORGANIZED THESE CONCERTS?
- BILLIE: Yes, sometimes I talk to them. The last time we played in Spain they came to visit us at the concert. It was nice to meet everyone again.

AND DO YOU THINK IT WOULD BE POSSIBLE TO ORANIZE A CLUB TOUR IN EUROPE?
- MIKE: We play wherever we want. Many growing groups often complain that they cannot play in small location. . But I say, "Why don't you do it?" It's what we do. If we want to play for 200 people, we do it.
- BILLIE: Something like that can be done. It is interesting because, even if you play in small places, thanks to social networks you can reach even more people because the public will stream it on their phones to everyone, so they will see it. And it's not like I'm saying that concerts should be viewed this way, but it's a way of making it global

TO CONCLUDE. AMERICAN IDIOT HAS SPENT 15 YEARS AND OBVIOUSLY A VERY IMPORTANT MOMENT OF YOUR CAREER . THERE ARE NOT MANY GROUPS THAT CAN SAY THAT THEY HAD TWO ALBUMS OF SUCH SUCCESS ...
- THREE: Well there are bands that just don't have one
- MIKE: Sorry but we have three. Dookie, American Idiot and Father Of All

WHAT DO YOU THINK WOULD HAPPEN IF AMERICAN IDIOT DID NOT HAVE HAD SUCH SUCCESS?
- THREE: Maybe you could only see us in small club of 200 people
- BILLIE: I think we would keep playing, no matter how. We always had a very daring way of publishing music without knowing what would happen. It's hypothetical to think what would have happened if that album hadn't gotten so big. But thank God it was

This is amazing. Sounds like they are going to tour again after Hella Mega which is awesome.

And Billie’s comments on MOOTIK. “I don’t even know what that means” 😂

3 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Thank God, I'm so ready for Hella Mega to be over

A-Hella-men

Archived