Billie Joe Armstrong - My Life in 15 Songs - Rolling Stone - 29.01.20

Rumpelstiltskin2000

So L

4 hours ago, Rumpelstiltskin2000 said:

“Love Is for Losers”

I recorded an album as the Longshot, which was kind of an extension of ¡Uno!, ¡Dos! and ¡Tre!,

So, Love is for loosers is realy "Cinco"

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, DadBod said:

Just an overall great in-depth interview. I love it when he lets his guard down some and tells a more personal side to his music. 

I wonder if it's a conscious choice to never say much in order to let everyone interpret the songs their own way or if it's just that he doesn't like talking about himself. Could be a bit of both.

1 minute ago, Beerjeezus said:

I wonder if it's a conscious choice to never say much in order to let everyone interpret the songs their own way or if it's just that he doesn't like talking about himself. Could be a bit of both.

Probably a both. As an artist, you want others to pull their own interpretations of your work first because art evokes an emotional connection (good or bad). Then, after that connection is made a conversation can ensue to see what the creator was thinking and what the viewer (or listener in music) has made.

Did Mike not say once the Billie is a true introvert so he it makes sense that he isn't that comfortable talking about himself, he certainly seems to prefer  deflecting rather than answering but I think it's a bit of both, he wants people to find their own connection. 

2 minutes ago, jengd said:

Did Mike not say once the Billie is a true introvert so he it makes sense that he isn't that comfortable talking about himself, he certainly seems to prefer  deflecting rather than answering but I think it's a bit of both, he wants people to find their own connection. 

To be honest if he was an introvert i don't think he'd do what he does.

I must say that I really loved the trilogy...a couple of songs that I skip (sweet 16, nightlife, loss of control) but aside from those I really enjoyed it, I agree that the production could be better....maybe one day we'll get the rest of the Otis mixes

3 minutes ago, JOE THE X-KID said:

Not necessarily.  I know it seems nuts but some real introverts do things which extroverts would consider difficult, being an introvert is quite complicated in the true meaning.

3 minutes ago, JOE THE X-KID said:

To be fair, it's a different kind of extroversion to play music (or strip) and to talk about stuff that might be very personal 

10 minutes ago, jengd said:

Blanking on which interview it was (I feel like it was 21CB era; it was a print interview), but I definitely remember Mike saying this.

1 hour ago, Beerjeezus said:

The "fuck him, what does he know" from this interview comes to mind :lol:

I loved that! It was funny to hear his reaction to Tre’s comment about him

Wow thank you, that was a really interesting interview.

And I‘m surprised that he produced the Lognshot album on his own

So great to hear him go so in depth about these songs. I knew in general their meanings and where most of the song stems from but he gave a lot of detail I did not know. There were just too many great moments that made me smile in this interview or really think. Favorite interview of this era so far because of the guard he left down.

I can't imagine a re-recording of Warning would improve the quality.  It's damn near perfect as is.  I'm guessing BJ would add a ton of vocal filters and what not, making it a depressing endeavor for fans lol.

8 minutes ago, UNICORN VOMIT said:

Is that the first time he has come down on Uno Dos Tre??

No he bashed them during the RevRad cycle too

10 minutes ago, UNICORN VOMIT said:

Is that the first time he has come down on Uno Dos Tre??

I think it’s the first time he explicitly addresses the negative role of that record’s production process. As far as I remember in the past he just generally expressed mixed feelings about those records.  

1 minute ago, HAPPY ROOTING UNICORN said:

I think it’s the first time he explicitly addresses the negative role of that record’s production process.

Yeah that's what I meant.

53 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

Anyone else thought that the way he said Longshot is better because he produced it himself is a bit of a dig at Rob?

I don’t think it’s a dig at Rob so much as it was a dig at himself for being asleep at the wheel during the Trilogy recording. In the end the final say always comes down to him.

6 hours ago, pacejunkie punk said:

He paid rent to somebody. The squat refers to the fact that it was illegal to live in a warehouse. But yeah, he chose it because the rent was a lot less than what his mom was gonna charge him if he stayed at home.

Man she was one tough mama if she was threatening to charge her 17 year-old rent.

Very nice interview. The plus of wanting to re-record Warning is something that probably will remain as a wish, but at least is something.

7 hours ago, Yosuke Hanamura said:

It most certainly was. The single’s artwork is unmistakable.. Shudder

you worry you worry you worry you worry 

She spaghetti's in silence.   

A sullen octopus revolting our minds 

Wait-ting for a sign 

to smash the silence with a brick of "EW GROSS".

Archived