Green Day on the new Kerrang! Magazine

legendary

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great review, I am so excited about the record now. Loved the Q&A with Tre as well. 

That review looks really promising. I think their reviews are usually more positive than other magazines. They gave to RevRad 5 stars

1 minute ago, Beyza said:

That review looks really promising. I think their reviews are usually more positive than other magazines. They gave to RevRad 5 stars

Kerrang loves Green Day

“I wanna drink all the poison in the water/I wanna choke like a dog that’s on a collar”

🥺

1 minute ago, pacejunkie punk said:

“I wanna drink all the poison in the water/I wanna choke like a dog that’s on a collar”

🥺

I am more concerned about sucking cock phrase. 

9 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

🥺

Lenny clearly inspired this line

1 minute ago, legendary said:

Lenny clearly inspired this line

I was thinking of the Rev actually and his love of the mic cord ( @Montclare can post the pic) 

1 hour ago, pacejunkie punk said:

🥺

Billie's not the happiest human I ever came across.  He says again in the RS article posted in the new thread by @Rumpelstiltskin2000 that he was in a kind of depression, Eeyore indeed.  Wonder what his song writing would be like if he had a sunnier disposition.

9 minutes ago, jengd said:

Billie's not the happiest human I ever came across.  He says again in the RS article posted in the new thread by @Rumpelstiltskin2000 that he was in a kind of depression, Eeyore indeed.  Wonder what his song writing would be like if he had a sunnier disposition.

They wouldn’t have been nearly as successful for one thing. Art comes from pain.

9 minutes ago, jengd said:

I would say revrad was as positive as he got

I was thinking of the Rev actually and his love of the mic cord ( @Montclare can post the pic) 

Happy to oblige. 🙂

48384783_10218488353619084_7749680208256

49 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

I would say revrad was as positive as he got

And unfortunately that was the era where I got on board and became a big fan but I’m learning now that RevRad era was the exception not the norm, so still getting used to this I guess (even though just knowing their music over the years it was clearly more often dark than not)

34 minutes ago, kaylubd said:

I really hate the title of this article :lol:

I saw it while on the bus and had to try not to burst out laughing. :lol:

6 minutes ago, pacejunkie punk said:

And unfortunately that was the era where I got on board and became a big fan but I’m learning now that RevRad era was the exception not the norm, so still getting used to this I guess (even though just knowing their music over the years it was clearly more often dark than not)

I don't know if that's harder for you or for me - I've been around since later in the 21CB era, so this isn't new to me, but I'm kind of like please-not-this-again, because I enjoyed revrad a lot. I can't say I don't like the darker stuff, it's actually very relatable, but I don't know, I guess it's just that I really liked the more chill vibe revrad had. Plus I get to hear more than enough depressing stuff from people irl, not only in the form of art

They wouldn’t have been nearly as successful for one thing. Art comes from pain.

Oh totally, just imagine if he didn’t write such upbeat music to accompany his lyrics, it would all be such a tough listen.  

12 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

I don't know if that's harder for you or for me - I've been around since later in the 21CB era, so this isn't new to me, but I'm kind of like please-not-this-again, because I enjoyed revrad a lot. I can't say I don't like the darker stuff, it's actually very relatable, but I don't know, I guess it's just that I really liked the more chill vibe revrad had. Plus I get to hear more than enough depressing stuff from people irl, not only in the form of art

It might be just how I perceive those songs, but to me RevRad has some of the most depressing songs GD has ever recorded, Outlaws and Troubled Times on top of all. Overall I liked that record, even tho that is not "my era", but I prefer when Billie talks about dark stuff in a fun way, rather than when they use dramatic sounds to express dramatic emotions.  

6 minutes ago, jengd said:

Oh totally, just imagine if he didn’t write such upbeat music to accompany his lyrics, it would all be such a tough listen.  

If he wrote music to fit the mood of the lyrics (in a more traditional way, that is), he's be recognized as an artist in a much more serious way. I do believe that. He gets overlooked behind the bouncy melodies.

4 minutes ago, HAPPY ROOTING UNICORN said:

It might be just how I perceive those songs, but to me RevRad has some of the most depressing songs GD has ever recorded, Outlaws and Troubled Times on top of all. Overall I liked that era, even tho it is not "my era", but I prefer when Billie talks about dark stuff in a funny way, rather than when they use dramatic sounds to express dramatic emotions.  

That's true. It's not overwhelmingly positive, but overall, I wouldn't say it's dramatic for the sake of it, Troubled Times is an exception though :P

3 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

If he wrote music to fit the mood of the lyrics (in a more traditional way, that is), he's be recognized as an artist in a much more serious way. I do believe that. He gets overlooked behind the bouncy melodies.

Fortunately he's a punk and doesn't care about this :P 

4 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

That's true. It's not overwhelmingly positive, but overall, I wouldn't say it's dramatic for the sake of it, Troubled Times is an exception though :P

Totally, it's an album that varies a lot in terms of lyrics but overall I don't consider it dramatic, even if on the long run it ended up being a little too heavy for my taste. 

2 minutes ago, HAPPY ROOTING UNICORN said:

Fortunately he's a punk and doesn't care about this :P 

Totally, it's an album that varies a lot in terms of lyrics but overall I don't consider it dramatic, even if on the long run it ended up being a little too heavy for my taste. 

And that's a good thing :P There's many serious artists making serious music, but fun rock songs with a deeper meaning are more scarce. It's just a thought that's crossed my mind when I read Jenn's post - that most musicians who are highly regarded usually make music that isn't as easily approachable as his. And I suppose that's the difference. If he played blues instead of punk rock, he'd get a lot more credit.

Yeah, I don't know, maybe non-depressing Green Day music was something I hallucinated, or Dominated Love Slave.

14 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

I think that’s absolutely true and I think it’s why some people don’t get GD, when they actually listen to the lyrics and think about what’s being said they are surprised, Blink 182 seems to feel easier to swallow to some folk.  I don’t want him to go all Leonard Cohen on us though. 😊 I like Revrad, I felt the songs were a mix and the whole period felt very reflective to me,  it’s funny how Billie said in the RS article he’s at his best when he’s being dumb, I wouldn’t necessarily agree, I love it when he’s snarky, snotty, witty and smart but it depends on how he defines being dumb I suppose, you could say some of their biggest hits have been dumb. I really like his word play and the connections he makes and think he is really not recognised for the lyricist he is.  Eagerly waiting to hear what’s coming!

6 minutes ago, Beerjeezus said:

And that's a good thing :P There's many serious artists making serious music, but fun rock songs with a deeper meaning are more scarce. 

Yeah, I don't know, maybe non-depressing Green Day music was something I hallucinated, or Dominated Love Slave.

Totally!   You made me laugh out loud at that last comment. 😂

13 minutes ago, jengd said:

I think that’s absolutely true and I think it’s why some people don’t get GD, when they actually listen to the lyrics and think about what’s being said they are surprised, Blink 182 seems to feel easier to swallow to some folk.  I don’t want him to go all Leonard Cohen on us though. 😊 I like Revrad, I felt the songs were a mix and the whole period felt very reflective to me,  it’s funny how Billie said in the RS article he’s at his best when he’s being dumb, I wouldn’t necessarily agree, I love it when he’s snarky, snotty, witty and smart but it depends on how he defines being dumb I suppose, you could say some of their biggest hits have been dumb. I really like his word play and the connections he makes and think he is really not recognised for the lyricist he is.  Eagerly waiting to hear what’s coming!

I agree, but I also think within the music business he's more respected than what we sometimes think. But I agree, superficial listeners and snobby critique don't go deep, and it's a common stereotype (and probably a normal psychological reaction) to think that complex/heavier music always comes with complex/heavier lyrics. A lot of contemporary music history beg to disagree with this tho, from Talking Heads and going forward at least :D 

What makes me more excited about this review is precisely this part about lyrics. Looking at the songs we had and at all the reviews (even the "bad" one from EW), it sounds like this record is gonna be sick lyrics-wise. I am so excited :P 

Archived