Whats should be next for Green Day after FOAMF?

madafaka

Whats should be next for Green Day after FOAMF?  

183 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just want them to try the overblown ambitious thing ONE more time.

They aimed for the moon with 21CB and while it’s not their best album I’d love to see them try something that massive one last time.

9 hours ago, Josh100_3 said:

They aimed for the moon with 21CB and while it’s not their best album 

I’ll fight you on that😐

At this point I'll take anything rather than FOAMF. And I'd love to hear some more "manly" vocals from Billie. Basically my dream album would be AI + 21st CB + 1039/Smooth, with good lyrics.

7 minutes ago, FeylGD said:

And I'd love to hear some more "manly" vocals from Billie.

What do you mean when you say that? I'm curious. Do you not like that he's singing in falsetto? Because to me, that's really a show of his outstanding voice and range. Really shows off his skill as a singer and I don't know if I would define that as "manly", but it's definitely super impressive and respectable.

Just now, Green Day In Seattle said:

What do you mean when you say that? I'm curious. Do you not like that he's singing in falsetto? Because to me, that's really a show of his outstanding voice and range. Really shows off his skill as a singer and I don't know if I would define that as "manly", but it's definitely super impressive and respectable.

I mean it like this.. Compare AI with 21st CB. While I'm convinced that 21st CB is their best work by far, Billie's vocals are crazy high to the point that it lacks lower end and it sounds unnecessarily strained. On AI he sounds huge and full of attitude. Don't get me wrong I love Billie's vocals whether it's high, low, angry or mellow, but singing so high on badass songs like East Jesus Nowhere is just inappropriate and don't do the song justice.

2 hours ago, FeylGD said:

Basically my dream album would be AI + 21st CB + 1039/Smooth, with good lyrics.

I think high expectations like these are the main reason why they ended up making FOAM in the first place😄 Don’t get me wrong, I hope more than anything else that they will make an epic, ambitious (concept-)album à la AI or 21CB again one day when they feel like it, but the expectation alone puts a lot of pressure on the band, cause whatever they do, people will be pissed. The success of their most ambitious projects has been a blessing and a curse at the same time. And I feel like FOAM is an attempt to to deal with this (amongst other topics). I know it has kind of become an unpopular opinion on here, but I still think FOAM is also a „fuck you“ record, only that the message was never directed at the label. It’s directed at us (and we probably deserve it).

45 minutes ago, Thatsername said:

I think high expectations like these are the main reason why they ended up making FOAM in the first place😄 Don’t get me wrong, I hope more than anything else that they will make an epic, ambitious (concept-)album à la AI or 21CB again one day when they feel like it, but the expectation alone puts a lot of pressure on the band, cause whatever they do, people will be pissed. The success of their most ambitious projects has been a blessing and a curse at the same time. And I feel like FOAM is an attempt to to deal with this (amongst other topics). I know it has kind of become an unpopular opinion on here, but I still think FOAM is also a „fuck you“ record, only that the message was never directed at the label. It’s directed at us (and we probably deserve it).

I think lots of people tend to overanalyzing everything and looking for a message where there’s none. Honestly I don’t have words for what I think about this whole era but I’m very confused. And I think Billie is also very confused, mainly because he’s not sure how to make Green Day cool again in this weird times that we’re living in. Green Day has been my biggest love for over 15 years now and this is the first time I’m not feeling it. Bad lyrics aside, there’s not much to look for instrumentally even though Mike and Tré are on fire so far on the singles. As a guitar player I have no fun playing these songs. I say it everytime, but Love is for Losers should’ve been a Green Day record. Even Billie enjoys it so much.

1 hour ago, FeylGD said:

I think lots of people tend to overanalyzing everything and looking for a message where there’s none. Honestly I don’t have words for what I think about this whole era but I’m very confused. And I think Billie is also very confused, mainly because he’s not sure how to make Green Day cool again in this weird times that we’re living in. Green Day has been my biggest love for over 15 years now and this is the first time I’m not feeling it. Bad lyrics aside, there’s not much to look for instrumentally even though Mike and Tré are on fire so far on the singles. As a guitar player I have no fun playing these songs. I say it everytime, but Love is for Losers should’ve been a Green Day record. Even Billie enjoys it so much.

Yeah this era is giving me a very strange vibe too, so I totally get what you’re saying and we’re on the same page here. I’m just trying to make a sense out of it and try to understand their motivation behind all of this (for the sake of my own sanity). And I think assuming that FOAM is (at least in some parts) a record dealing with the ambiguity of fame, success and meeting/failing to meet high expectations isn’t too far-fetched. Billie is literally screaming it in our faces: „Cracking up under the pressure, looking for a miracle“, „lying in a bed of blood and money“, „We are rivals in the riot inside us“, „the shooting star of a lowered expectation“ are just some examples, and we only got 3 songs so far. So all I’m saying is, I think I’m finally beginning to see where they’re coming from and what they are trying to tell us. I mean, really trying to tell us, behind the facade of a „party record“.

I think a lot of what’s just been said here reflects how many feel but I think it’s because a band we feel we know so well have really moved us, in some cases, out of our comfort zone.

15 hours ago, Green Day In Seattle said:

BJ growling & screaming

I love it when he screams. That Letterbomb scream is just 😍 And don't get me started oh Highway 1!

2 hours ago, Green Day In Seattle said:

I love it when he screams. That Letterbomb scream is just 😍 And don't get me started oh Highway 1!

Highway 1 is just awesome, gives me chills every time 😍😍😈😈

4 hours ago, jengd said:

Highway 1 is just awesome, gives me chills every time 😍😍😈😈

Still kills me that we don't have a live version of it.

Now that Kevin's with them, it'd be great if they'd do some surprise Foxies shows every now and then.

At this point I'd honestly like them to call it a day. Since AI every album has been a mixed bag with a few standout songs amongst piles of mediocrity, and even then AI wasn't the best either imo. I really dislike what we've heard from FOA so far as well.

6 hours ago, bozinian_idiot said:

At this point I'd honestly like them to call it a day. Since AI every album has been a mixed bag with a few standout songs amongst piles of mediocrity, and even then AI wasn't the best either imo. I really dislike what we've heard from FOA so far as well.

You have the option to not listen. Just because you don't enjoy their music anymore or it doesn't meet your (unrealistic) standards, doesn't mean they need to stop creating and doing what they love.

That's how I think of it. It seems that at this point they're doing what's fun for them (basically what used to be a side project is Green Day now).

1 hour ago, Beerjeezus said:

That's how I think of it. It seems that at this point they're doing what's fun for them (basically what used to be a side project is Green Day now).

I wouldn't say that. Would you continue to do a job you didn't full enjoy and love just to please a single group of people? I would hope that answer is no. 

They don't creative for others. They create for themselves. 

7 minutes ago, DadBod said:

I wouldn't say that. Would you continue to do a job you didn't full enjoy and love just to please a single group of people? I would hope that answer is no. 

They don't creative for others. They create for themselves. 

Depends on how much I'd need money ;) but I don't think they're doing it for anyone, it's just that I don't think there's the same kind of ambition, which isn't a bad thing, it's just different. It doesn't seem to me they're aiming for the next big thing with this project, it's not Idiot, it's not Breakdown, it's not Trilogy. FOAM is a bit different, which is cool, but it's like a Foxboro records, short, fun and simple. 10 years ago, it'd come out as Foxboro and then there'd be MOOTIK (21CB if you will). I just think that after so many years it's okay if they do what's fun for them instead of pushing the limits, if that's what they enjoy better.

25 minutes ago, 17Gonzalo said:

I would like a re-recording of 1039 Smothed Out Slappy Hours and Kerplunk songs

I endorse this post

On 1/27/2020 at 11:04 PM, DadBod said:

You have the option to not listen. Just because you don't enjoy their music anymore or it doesn't meet your (unrealistic) standards, doesn't mean they need to stop creating and doing what they love.

Don't see how my standards are unrealistic, it's not like I'm asking for every album they release to be another Dookie. Just want them to go back to being a pretty good punk band and not whatever this is. Revolution Radio was a step in the right direction , even if it wasn't the best album I still liked most of it, especially Bang Bang cause that shit slaps. Say Goodbye was a pretty good song as well and most of the album was overall decent.

This isn't a step in the right direction, at least not one I want them to take.

I don't want Green Day to become another generic ad band like The Score or some shit like that. I want them to be Green Day. I understand that they might want to change their direction, maybe doing 30 years of punk got stale, fuck if I know. I just can't accept that new direction being whatever the fuck this is.

Archived