Whats should be next for Green Day after FOAMF?

madafaka

Whats should be next for Green Day after FOAMF?  

183 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

17 minutes ago, CherryBombs&Gasoline said:

I'd like them to go back to the 21CB-sound and explore it a bit further. Maybe do some more acoustic songs and add strings here and there. That would be a huge and ambitious project though, and I'm not sure of they'll ever do something like that again. But 21CB was my first Green Day album and I have a soft spot for it. So if they ever go back to that sound, I'd be stoked. 

Yes please.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More experimentation please. Whether it's FOAM-style or more in the ambitious classic rock vein of 21CB. Push the limits of Green Day, save the relaxed rock n' roll for The Longshot.

I‘d love a combination of the classic Green Day sound some experimental parts. To me 21CB was perfect for an ambitious concept album. Classic instruments, high quality production, deep vocals that tell a story and some „exotic“ instruments

Every album and era has been so different. What’s even a classic green day sound 

Who are the people  who said they should call it a day 😅😂

2 hours ago, Thatsername said:

The one last brave soldier still fighting. I'm proud of you.

Thank you, I'll die on this hill.

5 hours ago, HAPPY ROOTING UNICORN said:

The Hella Small warm up tour for album release featuring Green Day and the drunk bunny. Stops in a heaps of pubs in OZ & Day on the Green tour. You heard it here first 39.gif 

1 hour ago, luketrebilliemike said:

Every album and era has been so different. What’s even a classic green day sound 

Who are the people  who said they should call it a day 😅😂

Every album has it's own flavor, true, but there's an undeniable classic Green Day sound through all of them in my opinion.

Album 14! 

Or a side project album. 

Classic Green Day sound? 

We've had enough of that! 

and all the other choices are to give up.  Lame.

All new sounds forever.  No looking back.

They gunna grow pot, have babies, and start a shop in Oakland.

Then they gunna work on even MORE side projects and cover bands for 2 years.

Then, when Baby, its GREEN time, they put out INT'L Suprahits vol. 2 and tour dat release.

What they SHOULD do is go HEAVY and start screaming a lot mo'. Fast, angry drone-punk. Maybe?

ambitious project definitely

but they chose to make short pop-rock songs and I don't think this is gonna change (Billies statement about long songs...)

They call it an experimentation, something fresh but imao giving way to pop sound (even more than usual) IS NOT an experimentation at all.

If the three songs we arleady know had a real elements of classic/glam-/rock/metal, not only a poor sample - I would call it an experimentation. Something that Green Day has never done before, like funk, metal, industrial, progressive rock.

There are some single songs with those elements, but according to what they said about moving on, not reppeating themselves they didn't achived it.

I think it'll be laid back from now on and gradually slip into the legacy act. They're not getting any younger and albums will gradually become an excuse to tour. 

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I want a Combat Rock style record from them. They're super talented musicians, go get inspiration from all round the world and then make a Green Day album with those influences in mind, rather than just "lets write a pop song" or "lets write thrash metal"

I wish a covers album with:

- Surrender/bastards of young

- Blitzkrieg bop

- Dancing with myself

- Hybrid moments

- Kiss me Deadly

Or a Awesome as fuck II with songs of that tour that weren't on the first CD (One for the Razorbacks, At the library, 80...)

Or a Shennanigans II with all Warner era B-Sides

On 1/21/2020 at 5:32 PM, RisingRedWolf said:

Every album has it's own flavor, true, but there's an undeniable classic Green Day sound through all of them in my opinion.

Yeah each progression in their sound was a progression based off of the classic Green Day sound, rhythms and songwriting structures. Before FOAMF 21cb was the one album where they really broke off the most from the GD sound but somehow each song relayed back into a section or part that referenced that. Before The Lobotomy is perfect for explaining what I'm talking about. Last Night on Earth is another. Definitely different than any other GD song at that point but the drum beat is one consistently used by the band. 

FOAMF is the first album to really replace that classic GD structure. There were a few trilogy songs that did this but so far as a whole album this is the first time they've done it at this scale. To me this explains the short nature of the album as well. Here's another experiment of ours. We figure it's gonna be mostly mixed reviews but there isn't 3 albums and 37 songs for you to digest. You can sit there and digest it faster than you can take in a drama show on TV. 

3 hours ago, Sheenius said:

Yeah each progression in their sound was a progression based off of the classic Green Day sound, rhythms and songwriting structures. Before FOAMF 21cb was the one album where they really broke off the most from the GD sound but somehow each song relayed back into a section or part that referenced that. Before The Lobotomy is perfect for explaining what I'm talking about. Last Night on Earth is another. Definitely different than any other GD song at that point but the drum beat is one consistently used by the band. 

FOAMF is the first album to really replace that classic GD structure. There were a few trilogy songs that did this but so far as a whole album this is the first time they've done it at this scale. To me this explains the short nature of the album as well. Here's another experiment of ours. We figure it's gonna be mostly mixed reviews but there isn't 3 albums and 37 songs for you to digest. You can sit there and digest it faster than you can take in a drama show on TV. 

Thanks for understanding exactly where I was coming from, you are much better at explaining things than me but you took exactly what I was thinking and worded it in a way that I couldn't.

I am eager to hear the rest of what this this new style of Green Day has to offer, so hopefully the leak comes sooner rather than later.

3 hours ago, Joe. said:

They're not getting any younger and albums will gradually become an excuse to tour.

While I certainly agree that seems to be what's starting to happen with this album, I still think that GD have more than enough creative juices left to tap into some really ambitious stuff. True, most successful bands in this genre have their one major breakthrough record and then they ride that wave as long as they can until they stop releasing albums and just exclusively tour (take The Offspring for example). Green Day not only revitalized their career with a breakthrough record once, but they did it twice.

Part of me is satisfied with that has been accomplished, being more than other bands typically get to do, but I truly believe that their is a lot of potential in their classic rock inspired (The Who) type of flavor that has still got a lot more to offer that we haven't heard yet. (Somewhere Now and Forever Now are absolutely fantastic, just take it even further).

I kind of wish they would just keep doing whatever inspires them, because there is no doubt they put a lot of work into 21CB and seeing an overall lack of appreciation for it must have truly taken it's toll on the band (like the whole "why don't you guys go back to making simple albums like you used to" etc).

So they did, and I personally think that wasn't the right direction at that point in time.

28 minutes ago, RisingRedWolf said:

So they did, and I personally think that wasn't the right direction at that point in time.

I thought the direction of Uno was just the perfect follow up for 21cb (excluding the other two from the trilogy). It's a short fun album that channels a classic GD sound but you can also hear in the songwriting how far they've really come from Dookie. Uno got pretty decent reception as well. What killed it was Clear Channel playing games and of course being followed by another two records that were not so well received within 30 and 60 days of it's release. 

If you take the effort that went into the other 25 songs and put that into tightening up Uno it would have been more concise. Still a great record as is though. They also lost a really cool chance for the stage theme. Seeing the 60's green swirly's all around would have been groovy. 

AI -> 21cb -> Uno -> Rev Rad  - FOAMF as a sequence doesn't feel as bad. A decline is natural at this point in a career. While FOAMF so far seems to be scoring low on everyone's GD album ranking so far it sounds like it has more life than Tre. 

13 hours ago, RisingRedWolf said:

While I certainly agree that seems to be what's starting to happen with this album, I still think that GD have more than enough creative juices left to tap into some really ambitious stuff. True, most successful bands in this genre have their one major breakthrough record and then they ride that wave as long as they can until they stop releasing albums and just exclusively tour (take The Offspring for example). Green Day not only revitalized their career with a breakthrough record once, but they did it twice.

Part of me is satisfied with that has been accomplished, being more than other bands typically get to do, but I truly believe that their is a lot of potential in their classic rock inspired (The Who) type of flavor that has still got a lot more to offer that we haven't heard yet. (Somewhere Now and Forever Now are absolutely fantastic, just take it even further).

I kind of wish they would just keep doing whatever inspires them, because there is no doubt they put a lot of work into 21CB and seeing an overall lack of appreciation for it must have truly taken it's toll on the band (like the whole "why don't you guys go back to making simple albums like you used to" etc).

I don’t disagree they could do more, I just don’t think they will. Their attitude on social media seems to be they’re doing what they want, when they want, which is great.

I think we’ll see more Longshot/FOAM style music in terms of attitude, just being what Billie wants to do and done with no pressure/expectation. I hope we’ll get another 21CB style record in terms of scope, but I don’t think we will

My probably controversial opinion is that I’d like to see Billie do another solo project, but with a totally different sound than Longshot and without hiding behind a band name. A really stripped down sound would be cool. Followed closely by another GD album of course. 

5 minutes ago, Billie Joe's Eyelids said:

My probably controversial opinion is that I’d like to see Billie do another solo project, but with a totally different sound than Longshot and without hiding behind a band name. A really stripped down sound would be cool. Followed closely by another GD album of course. 

I agree. Any side project would be fine, but something laid back that'd go with a tour would be the best. I still fantasize about seeing him in a theater playing Foreverly with NJ

19 hours ago, Gonzalo17 said:

I wish a covers album with:

- Surrender/bastards of young

- Blitzkrieg bop

- Dancing with myself

- Hybrid moments

- Kiss me Deadly

That's just a copy of Weezer's teale. If they did that, I'd want more original songs in the same vein. Maybe throw in a Queen song too.

55 minutes ago, SomeNimrod97 said:

That's just a copy of Weezer's teale. If they did that, I'd want more original songs in the same vein. Maybe throw in a Queen song too.

I mean, they are clasic Green Day live songs, never in an official record... And i think that they deserve being on one. Of course, new covers are welcome in this album idea... 

On 1/24/2020 at 6:35 AM, Billie Joe's Eyelids said:

Great idea, and I thought about that a lot.  

Billy Joe Armstrong as a solo artist could be great, but at the same time....there would have to be an idea or sound that would differentiate it from Green Day, which could be challenging. 

Would be poppier or countrier as many solo albums are?  Or punkier?  Hard rockier? 

If it sounded exactly like Green Day but with Billie playing everything, that would be weird but still okay I guess.

There are musicians that had two careers that were basically the same. 

Tom Petty VS Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.  Basically the same band on both, so what was the point?  Just doing it under different names because reasons...

Archived