The lost Mike Dirnt Interview with Steve Rosen (2004)

Squashie

Came across this tonight. It’s from 2004 before AI was released.

It’s ~35 minutes long

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"We basically came up with about 16 songs that were really good, and it'd been about 6 months or so and these are songs that maybe we'd been writing for a while and songs that we'd come up with fresh, and they were really good songs, but I'd say moreover from that process we had also come up with two or three songs over here that we thought were something worth chasing. We had those songs and we turned in the record and me and Billie got together and we started talking, then we got together with tre and we said 'y'know, those are really good songs, but we've got these over here, and we kinda feel like should we put out these and then wait three or four years to put out those other songs and chase this thing that we kinda see going on over here?' So that was kinda it, y'know, so we decided to chase those"

That ends the Cigarettes & Valentines hoax right here :) 

9 minutes ago, Todd said:

"We basically came up with about 16 songs that were really good, and it'd been about 6 months or so and these are songs that maybe we'd been writing for a while and songs that we'd come up with fresh, and they were really good songs, but I'd say moreover from that process we had also come up with two or three songs over here that we thought were something worth chasing. We had those songs and we turned in the record and me and Billie got together and we started talking, then we got together with tre and we said 'y'know, those are really good songs, but we've got these over here, and we kinda feel like should we put out these and then wait three or four years to put out those other songs and chase this thing that we kinda see going on over here?' So that was kinda it, y'know, so we decided to chase those"

That ends the Cigarettes & Valentines hoax right here :) 

😂 Mike you are so busted!

”So then those sixteen songs just... got lost...I mean stolen. Yeah that’s it, somebody stole them!” 😂

I hadn’t listened to it yet when I made the thread. I should have put ‘lost’ in quotes in the title... 🤪

can’t have the “it got stolen” theory if mike tells a different story to one interview... 

5 minutes ago, DadBod said:

I hadn’t listened to it yet when I made the thread. I should have put ‘lost’ in quotes in the title... 🤪

can’t have the “it got stolen” theory if mike tells a different story to one interview... 

Wonder why this interview itself was “lost” 🤔 Didn’t fit the narrative?

So much respect for Mike in this interview. I love hearing about the process and it reminds me how much care and attention they put into everything they do and I strongly believe that they continue to do that to this day.  Mike mentions here that they are not motivated by money ever because they don’t need to be, they just experiment with sounds full stop.  

Cool too that this is the very first time anyone heard about American Idiot, even the song title.

I'm sure that I read somewhere recently the part starting at 33:13 "I have one regret..." but don't remember exactly where was it right now but I think after that he was saying was the most remarkable part of the interview so they could want to put out that as his quote or something.

It’s funny Mike says they had about sixteen songs, because that’s the exact amount of songs that were on that “Green Day B-Sides” disc John Roecker posted last year. 👀 

1 hour ago, W_FInkThePlatypusHunter said:

It’s funny Mike says they had about sixteen songs, because that’s the exact amount of songs that were on that “Green Day B-Sides” disc John Roecker posted last year. 👀 

Very interesting lol I just reviewed the tracklist again it seems like that "B-Sides" is most likely C&V. I'm curious about that handful of songs we haven't heard from it. Honestly I'd love for them to release the version of the album that Mike said was turned in. 

Crazy that they had 55 songs as well. It was definitely a creative peak for the band. Lots of great songs across The Network, GD and Foxboro from these sessions. 

On 1/18/2020 at 12:30 PM, Beyza said:

I'm sure that I read somewhere recently the part starting at 33:13 "I have one regret..." but don't remember exactly where was it right now but I think after that he was saying was the most remarkable part of the interview so they could want to put out that as his quote or something.

I just wanna add I believe the song he's referring to may have been Desensitized, You Lied or Suffocate. These were recorded at the same time as Rotting and part of the sessions that led to Nimrod. 

36 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

I just wanna add I believe the song he's referring to may have been Desensitized, You Lied or Suffocate. These were recorded at the same time as Rotting and part of the sessions that led to Nimrod. 

Oh, I thought he meant they never recorded it because he forgot it, maybe he meant it was just one element.

Just now, jengd said:

Oh, I thought he meant they never recorded it because he forgot it, maybe he meant it was just one element.

He was referring to a specific part that he wrote for it. He said he first got into a fight with Billie about it and then went into the session pissed off and just tracked the song and didn't include the part and that was his regret. 

I had to listen to it twice cause the interviewer kept interrupting Mike. Like dude stfu he's getting to the juicy parts hahaha

The interviewer also assumed they never recorded it but Mike corrects him and says it was included and released he clarifies there was a harmonic he didn't include in the actual performance itself. 

18 hours ago, Sheenius said:

Very interesting lol I just reviewed the tracklist again it seems like that "B-Sides" is most likely C&V. I'm curious about that handful of songs we haven't heard from it. Honestly I'd love for them to release the version of the album that Mike said was turned in. 

Crazy that they had 55 songs as well. It was definitely a creative peak for the band. Lots of great songs across The Network, GD and Foxboro from these sessions. 

woah where's the tracklisting for that posted??

3 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

Reddit users reposted it you can find it on there

Gotcha, found it!

For anyone else curious:

1. Too Much Too Soon

2. Shoplifter

3. Governator (I’ll Be Back)

4. Horseshoes & Hand Grenades

5. The Pedestrian

6. Too Young

7. Lights Out

8. Lately (One More Year)

9. Cigarettes & Valentines

10. End of the World

11. Walk Away

12. Broadway

13. Waste Away

14. Dropout

15. 19th Nervous Breakdown

16. Favorite Son (Japan Bonus)

So 10/16 have seen the light of day at this point. Unless one of the others were retitled and released or something

3 minutes ago, Herroon said:

Gotcha, found it!

For anyone else curious:

1. Too Much Too Soon

2. Shoplifter

3. Governator (I’ll Be Back)

4. Horseshoes & Hand Grenades

5. The Pedestrian

6. Too Young

7. Lights Out

8. Lately (One More Year)

9. Cigarettes & Valentines

10. End of the World

11. Walk Away

12. Broadway

13. Waste Away

14. Dropout

15. 19th Nervous Breakdown

16. Favorite Son (Japan Bonus)

So 10/16 have seen the light of day at this point. Unless one of the others were retitled and released or something

Is that including the rumor that dropout is Brutal Love? 

Also interested in hearing that Rolling Stones cover

19 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

He was referring to a specific part that he wrote for it. He said he first got into a fight with Billie about it and then went into the session pissed off and just tracked the song and didn't include the part and that was his regret. 

I had to listen to it twice cause the interviewer kept interrupting Mike. Like dude stfu he's getting to the juicy parts hahaha

The interviewer also assumed they never recorded it but Mike corrects him and says it was included and released he clarifies there was a harmonic he didn't include in the actual performance itself. 

You are right, the interviewer needed to be quiet and listen, I need to go and listen again too!

2 minutes ago, jengd said:

You are right, the interviewer needed to be quiet and listen, I need to go and listen again too!

It was something unpredictable

but the Sheenius is always right

I hope we get Cigarettes and Valentines

13 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

Is that including the rumor that dropout is Brutal Love? 

Also interested in hearing that Rolling Stones cover

That count was not including that, I wasn't aware! But just checked the time listed on the Roecker post for Dropout (4:41) and the time for Brutal Love (4:54) so that checks out

5 minutes ago, Herroon said:

That count was not including that, I wasn't aware! But just checked the time listed on the Roecker post for Dropout (4:41) and the time for Brutal Love (4:54) so that checks out

sorry i missed one of the songs when I was counting haha 

but yea that's interesting they're close in length. I haven't really bought into the idea that they're the same song though. With that we could also say End of the World is a part of Jesus of Suburbia. 

1 hour ago, Sheenius said:

Actually, you lied and rotting were recorded during the insomniac sessions, if you look at the  credits for shenanigans it lists Kevin army as the engineer for those songs, and he only worked with them on the dookie demos and insomniac. So Mike said it was the same time as rotting, but not rotting, so it could have been you lied, do da da, or don't wanna fall in love. I wanna be on TV was from that session too but I doubt he wanted to fight over adding stuff to a cover song, but I guess it's possible

58 minutes ago, Maddie86 said:

Actually, you lied and rotting were recorded during the insomniac sessions, if you look at the  credits for shenanigans it lists Kevin army as the engineer for those songs, and he only worked with them on the dookie demos and insomniac. So Mike said it was the same time as rotting, but not rotting, so it could have been you lied, do da da, or don't wanna fall in love. I wanna be on TV was from that session too but I doubt he wanted to fight over adding stuff to a cover song, but I guess it's possible

I'm glad you pointed that out. I double checked and you're right. It just seems that they kept the songs in hand and they saw the light of day during Nimrod. A lot of songs that didn't make the cut during those Dookie sessions saw the light of day just a few years later.

Jerry Finn was mixing on those tracks too. Even more of a regret for Mike cause of Jerry's passing. It makes even more sense now. 

Archived