Q Reviews FOAM

Beerjeezus

The thing that bothers me about the production is it’s not even pop production. I would much rather have modern pop production similar to blink or sum 41s newest stuff as opposed to the FOAMF production. It’s not even over produced. I think it’s under produced, but certain levels are off on things like the drums which gives it the sound it has. 

Also, this is my first post of any kind on here, so hey everyone! Sorry to be so negative on the first comment, but thought it would be a good time to pop in.

how the hell do I reply to people on here? Lol

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, MaxGD said:

The thing that bothers me about the production is it’s not even pop production. I would much rather have modern pop production similar to blink or sum 41s newest stuff as opposed to the FOAMF production. It’s not even over produced. I think it’s under produced, but certain levels are off on things like the drums which gives it the sound it has. 

Also, this is my first post of any kind on here, so hey everyone! Sorry to be so negative on the first comment, but thought it would be a good time to pop in.

Welcome! :D

click the thingy that says "quote" and you can reply to posts 

59 minutes ago, MaxGD said:

Welcome, and are you talking about the single or album?

2 minutes ago, Billie Joe's Eyelids said:

Welcome, and are you talking about the single or album?

Thanks! And the singles so far, I wish I had heard the album already haha. I should have clarified that

1 hour ago, MaxGD said:

For real, sounds like the drums are someone tapping on a notebook, all i hear is clapping!! It's something I really can't say I'll enjoy no matter how much I listen to it, and believe me guys I tried to get into FRA! I listened to it over and over when i thought i didn't like it and i just kept disliking it more 😂 And believe me, I wasn't looking for reasons to not like it, it's not like I'm doing it to be a dick.

I really think it could be a much better song with better production.

18 minutes ago, PursuitOfEpicness said:

For real, sounds like the drums are someone tapping on a notebook, all i hear is clapping!! It's something I really can't say I'll enjoy no matter how much I listen to it, and believe me guys I tried to get into FRA! I listened to it over and over when i thought i didn't like it and i just kept disliking it more 😂 And believe me, I wasn't looking for reasons to not like it, it's not like I'm doing it to be a dick.

I really think it could be a much better song with better production.

Yeah. Like the punch in your face production is gone, and it seems like they tried to go for a mixed sound of 80s drums and modern pop production, then brought up the low end levels on everything and side chained the cymbals, while at the same time not mixing everything else enough. I had to remix father of all in order to listen to it (still not perfect but better haha), which sucks cuz I love the song but can’t listen to it with the production as is. The only thing that makes sense is if the production is made to sound like when your at a party and music is coming out of a bad speaker. If it’s purposely like that for effect, fine, but I can’t stand it. Fire ready aim is an ok track to me, but lyrically and production wise is falls a little flat. 

Just now, MaxGD said:

Yeah. Like the punch in your face production is gone, and it seems like they tried to go for a mixed sound of 80s drums and modern pop production, then brought up the low end levels on everything and side chained the cymbals, while at the same time not mixing everything else enough. I had to remix father of all in order to listen to it (still not perfect but better haha), which sucks cuz I love the song but can’t listen to it with the production as is. The only thing that makes sense is if the production is made to sound like when your at a party and music is coming out of a bad speaker. If it’s purposely like that for effect, fine, but I can’t stand it. Fire ready aim is an ok track to me, but lyrically and production wise is falls a little flat. 

What did you do to remix it? Can you share it?

4 minutes ago, Sheenius said:

What did you do to remix it? Can you share it?

I took the original song (downloaded from iTunes since I couldnt find single tracks) and I brought up some mids and highs, put it through a limiter, and a few other things. It’s not near where I wish it was, but it’s the best I can do with the track. It made the drums a little more punchy, vocals are cleaner, and exposes a lot of things hidden by the original such as a scream in the bridge, and the practically inaudible bass lines through out the song. Idk if there’s a general way to share it, but I could email to it to you from my studio email!

5 minutes ago, MaxGD said:

I took the original song (downloaded from iTunes since I couldnt find single tracks) and I brought up some mids and highs, put it through a limiter, and a few other things. It’s not near where I wish it was, but it’s the best I can do with the track. It made the drums a little more punchy, vocals are cleaner, and exposes a lot of things hidden by the original such as a scream in the bridge, and the practically inaudible bass lines through out the song. Idk if there’s a general way to share it, but I could email to it to you from my studio email!

Can you PM it to me?

3 minutes ago, DookieLukie said:

Can you PM it to me?

I’d prefer email so I can share it and forward it easily, but if people have a hard time with that, yeah I’ll figure out how to pm haha. Can you drag and drop on pms or attach something? I have a wav file of it. 

8 hours ago, Sheenius said:

I have a feeling they wont even play it at the All Star game. "ah everyones heard it let's play FOAMF for the 100th time live" lol 

Also Oh Yeah will be the new single so that will be played. 

I think it would be nice if they’ll play all three of them before the release but idk just Oh Yeah still would be cool i guess

So to compare it to some other albums:

- they gave RevRad an 80 on metacritic (which is equal to 4/5. So they're even.)

- they gave Uno and Dos a 3/5. Didnt see a review for tre on metacritic.

- they gave Awesome as Fuck a 3/5 (kinda irrelevant but whatever.)

- a 4/5 for 21st Century Breakdown

- a 4/5 to American Idiot

- and finally a 3/5 to warning.

So just looking at what they ranked other green day albums- a 4/5 from Q isnt to bad at all I guess. 

‐-------------------

Getting ahead of myself  but I'll look at some other relevant rock bands while I'm here.

- Gave RHCP last album (the getaway) a 3/5.

- Gave Foo Fighters last album (concrete and gold) a 3/5

- Gave Weezers last album (Black album) a 4/5

- Gave Blink-182s second to last album (California) a 2/4. Couldn't find a review for their newest one 

7 hours ago, Redundantuserjinxboy said:

So to compare it to some other albums:

- they gave RevRad an 80 on metacritic (which is equal to 4/5. So they're even.)

- they gave Uno and Dos a 3/5. Didnt see a review for tre on metacritic.

- they gave Awesome as Fuck a 3/5 (kinda irrelevant but whatever.)

- a 4/5 for 21st Century Breakdown

- a 4/5 to American Idiot

- and finally a 3/5 to warning.

So just looking at what they ranked other green day albums- a 4/5 from Q isnt to bad at all I guess. 

‐-------------------

Getting ahead of myself  but I'll look at some other relevant rock bands while I'm here.

- Gave Weezers last album (Black album) a 4/5

- Gave Blink-182s second to last album (California) a 2/4. Couldn't find a review for their newest one 

Good to know! Thanks!

I'm actually pretty pumped now. I enjoyed FOAM from when i first heard it, but thought Fire, Ready, Aim was lazy at the start but it has grown on me; its just a fun track!

I think I was expecting something very different, epic. A rock opera. Especially with all the Magnum opus stuff. But im over that initial dissapointment now.

The artwork still sucks though...

11 hours ago, MaxGD said:

There seems to be the trend with modern albums where everythings wishy washy, and fuzzy. The drums have no punch to them. Foo fighters Concrete and Gold had it, which i hate. The musics great but production sucks

24 minutes ago, JOE THE X-KID said:

I'm actually pretty pumped now. I enjoyed FOAM from when i first heard it, but thought Fire, Ready, Aim was lazy at the start but it has grown on me; its just a fun track!

I think I was expecting something very different, epic. A rock opera. Especially with all the Magnum opus stuff. But im over that initial dissapointment now.

The artwork still sucks though...

There seems to be the trend with modern albums where everythings wishy washy, and fuzzy. The drums have no punch to them. Foo fighters Concrete and Gold had it, which i hate. The musics great but production sucks

It is for sure a trend, and it can actually be done in a way that sounds good too. The foo fighters thing showcases what should have been done with the singles from FOAMF. While the drums seem to have a lot of threshold and not a lot of crack, they still use reverb and keep the lows and mids where they should be. The problem with foam is they raised the lows and mids of the snare, cut the highs with the kick, and brought up those drums so loud so you hear them. When that’s done you get clipping and frequencies cutting eachother out especially in mastering. I totally agree though. I wish Green Day would use whoever produces for the band Stand Atlantic. They have a crisp sound but don’t take away any of the energy or emotion in their songs. Check out their song Lavender Bones if you want a great example. 🤘

9 hours ago, Redundantuserjinxboy said:

These scores are so spot on, at least for me :lol:

9 hours ago, theangel said:

Yeah I don't trust these guys.

Lmao id give the rhcp album a 4. The FF album a 3.5. And the Weezer album a 2 myself.  But overall these scores have made me confident in the album.

Archived